Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Phone posted:

Buy a real one on CL for 800.

yeah, that doesn't happen in my area.

by real one, what brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Phone posted:

Mazda.

oh.

No aftermarket ones worth getting?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

depends on how much stud you found

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I bought some new tires for my Miata.

They are black and round, and kinda push back when you poke them. They make less noise than the old tires. I'm told they have air in them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So it's new brakes time. While I'm under there, I'd like to replace all the rotors (I know one is warped, and all of them have already been turned), and might as well upgrade the lines too.

Anyone got a link to a good kit with drilled/vented/or both rotors, braided or stainless brake lines and some nice pads?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It's not my only car but I rarely use my wife's so I've loaded tons of poo poo in that Miata. You have plenty of space, you just can't throw groceries in there indiscriminately and sometimes have to use a little creativity. But I've brought home plenty of 300 dollar shopping trips from Sam's Club before.

If you're really hardcore, take the passenger seat out. It makes a neat gaming seat, you have a nice cargo area right there, and the best part (and reason I did it) is that your sorry-rear end co-workers can't bum rides.

"Ooohhhhhhhhhhh, I'd love to bring you home, but I only have the one seat"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Just got a new Robbins top installed, and it is GLORIOUS. So new in its newness that I want to get a bunch of other poo poo fixed too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

What do decent Mazdaspeed NBs go for nowadays?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

$10k-ish. Fantastic value for the money, but so are similar-condition Boxsters.

so this guy is smoking crack then, right?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Saw a later-model NB today that was white with tan top. Never seen it before, really a great combination (even knowing what a pain in the rear end white cars are).

Too bad it was poorly riced.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm now on official "looking for a grey or orange '05 Mazdaspeed with leather seats" watch, on the off chance that anyone actually knows of one for sale. I'm looking to trade up from my '01, since five years of being a work car has left the interior kind of beat up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd probably hear them squealing, mine did when they wore out.

Yeah there are little metal clips on the sides of the pads that are basically just there to make squealing noises when it's time to change.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sadi posted:

In Augusta GA area and half of GA im seeing about $3500-5000 for early 90s with out the 1.8 and about 150k-200+k. I gave up after 2 months of watching, ill look again in a year or so and in winter.

I bought my '01 with 34000 miles on it in Aiken back in '06 for 12 grand. It's doable (keep an eye on Autotrader).

Speaking of which, since I'm on MSM watch, is there anywhere to keep an eye on besides Autotrader, Yahoo and Ebay?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DreamOn13 posted:

Honestly, I'd look on miataturbo.net for a car that somebody else turbo'd. I haven't heard much nice to say about the MSM cars. But if you're specifically looking for one, try the sites you mentioned and searchtempest (craigslist search site).

Jesus. Not a single NB on the first page. The ones further back are ricey as poo poo, too.

Not my scene, I guess. But I will bookmark it and keep an eye out, appreciate it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Well, my situation is a little different. I've got a ton of small dings, scratches and interior damage from five years of using it as an everyday work car and hauler (lol, yes). I'm at the point where I can afford to put some money into it and fix it up, but for that same amount or less I can just upgrade into a better car. I want something newer and in better shape, with lower mileage, but I want to stay with an NB.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DreamOn13 posted:

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=55051

This is probably the one I'd look into if I were you.

Muuuuuccchhhh more in my wheelhouse. Thank you.

With all that firepower on the engine, why has he had so much trouble selling it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Auburn's only about 2.5 hours away from me, so that's nothing but a day trip. The only thing that gives me pause is that I absolutely must have it for a daily driver, and something that's been modified to the ragged edge of reliability would leave me without a job in short order. That's compounded by the fact that my wrenching skill level is still pretty novice, so diagnosing any trouble from a heavily modified system might be a bitch (as well as fixing it).

It certainly looks like a phenomenal deal, and I'm still kicking it around in my head. It's probably only a 2-3 grand upgrade after I sell my LS.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DreamOn13 posted:

Probably not the best idea then. Just buy an s2000 for that money. Reliability and faster.

That's been an idea in the back of my mind. Last time I looked years ago you couldn't touch one for under 20k; would I have trouble finding a relatively rice-free one?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Eh it looks like an S2000 is a little more than I wanted to spend anyway. For example, the very best example of an NB I'm looking for has 12,000 miles, a hardtop, and they're asking 16 for it (and I could probably get them down to 14 or lower). I'm figuring mine is worth maybe six in a trade-in.

Plus I know a hell of a lot more about NBs than an S2000. I have no idea what to look for or much about the differences in years and models, really. I'm still super happy with how my NB drives, I just want a nicer one is all. Maybe with a little more nutsack.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Third Man posted:

I'd at least drive an S2000, it's going to have significantly more nutsack, if that's what you want.

I'd love to. I fully admit I'm bouncing around like a pinball on this. The trouble is that they're not made new anymore, so I can't just go to the dealership and thrash one around a testdrive. I doubt someone selling their personal car is willing to let me do the same.

The only one I've seen at dealerships around here is a Club Racer they want 28k for, and....no.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I bought some Paradas on closeout at Tire Rack and I gotta say, at 60 bucks a tire, my non-autocrossing rear end is happy

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

(list a Volvo for $200 on CL sometime)

This reminds me, one of the worst pranks we ever played on our former boss was putting an ad in the paper (pre-Craigslist) that said: "1988 Cadillac Brougham. Runs good. Smokes a little. $200."

It was the worst prank because we just wanted to hassle him a little. He got so many freaking phone calls (some in the middle of the night) that he had to change his number.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've got a CEL and it looks like both the upstream and downstream o2 sensor, should I care at all?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Can't remember the codes, have to check that again tomorrow. It hasn't run one iota different since it came on, but the guy at Autozone priced them in "let me ask the Internet how important this is" territory.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

aventari posted:

You might not necessarily need to replace the o2 sensors, but if you happen to, universal ones can be had for ~$35 each, you just have to splice the wires yourself instead of it coming with a handy connector.

But yeah get the codes again

Yeesh that's better than like the 150 bucks each he quoted me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'd love to eliminate my visors but they're almost a safety for my latches. I love my new top but the latches always seem on the verge of popping loose themselves.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

destructo posted:

I'm confused.. what do the visors have anything to do with your top latching?

When I latch my top, I flip my visors up over them to keep the handles from popping back.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

How ridiculous is getting NB leather seats re-upholstered?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They're in rough shape as far as cracking, creasing and discoloring. They haven't torn at all until just recently (and only in one small spot), but the fact that this thing has been my daily driver and hauler for six years means these seats have had it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

See if you can hear the fuel pump working when you first turn the key?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My immobilizer acted up once after some rain got in the cabin.......somehow. Mysteriously.

It'd fire up, catch, and die 3 seconds later. Every time. Which is a weird way for an immobilizer to work.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I put in one of those little trays in the bottom slot and I'm so happy with it. I almost love it more than the new radio I put in above it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FatCow posted:

Why not? Again why fix things that aren't failed. I'm not going to replace the entire brake system because of a defect in a seal on one part.

Because you're already under the car, it's a cheap part, and that's the whole concept of preventative maintenance?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Left rear turn signal assembly, NB ('01). Dealer wants 255, junkyard is not an option around here. Anywhere better to go?

(loving Dean of our Business Department backed into it)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

midge posted:

Pay the dealer. Pass the bill to the guy that loving hit it.

Eh I'm not knocking myself out to save him money. But he was nice enough to leave a note and tell the security guard, so I figured I'd do 10 minutes of looking around first.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Savington posted:

gently caress using non-OEM parts. He broke an OEM light, he pays for an OEM light.

I usually feel like this, but it's a turn signal and the guy was ok by me. If I can't tell the difference I won't have a problem with it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

New plate time. WHEEEEE or NOTGAY?

Both available.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

opengl128 posted:

That reminds me, why exactly does everyone seem to sperg out over doing timing belts every. 60k. on. the. dot. on Miatas? Obviously getting stranded sucks, but they act like it's the end of the world if it snaps on you.

I've got AAA, I'm just going to run it until it goes or I have other issues.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Seems like a great stripper for a race car, wouldn't it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

As pointless as it is, I would love to read one INTERNET JUSTICE story where he has a friend near wherever the Craigslist scammer actually lives and the scammer gets arrested/humiliated/the poo poo beat out of him. It's one thing that they're cockroaches but they're such a goddamned waste of time to have to wade through to do any business