Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

GD_American posted:

New plate time. WHEEEEE or NOTGAY?

Both available.

NOTGAY with a license plate frame that says "not that there's anything wrong with that" underneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would go with LRGPNIS.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SECURE

TASTEFL

OHMYYYY

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Third Man posted:

NOTGAY with a license plate frame that says "not that there's anything wrong with that" underneath it.

Find this frame and I will make it a goal to get this plate as soon as I can. :effort:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can get frames custom made.

Also, my sister in law had a bad day today.

It's either the third or fourth major hit that '95M has had, but I bet it still gets fixed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

95m's don't deserve that :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently the driver in front of her, rearended the person in front of them. She was able to stop fine (Miata supremacy :smuggo: ) but then the SUV behind her...not so much.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

This is my worst fear when someone is tailgating. I leave a few extra car gaps in front, and hope I possess the mental ability to slow down more gradually during an emergency. (Though I have a sneaking suspicion I'll just mash that brake pedal to the floor if/when the time comes)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm sure being an M edition the Mazda curse is only compounded

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My solution is to put my left foot on the brake pedal just enough to turn the brake lights on while I accelerate away.

It'd be great to have a little toggle switch to just turn on the brake lights.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Doh, that's a sad thing to happen to a 95M. :(

I still miss my old 95M from time to time. Had it for 4 years and the only 'curse' it suffered was a cut top. The top needed replaced anyway, but I wasn't planning on replacing it THAT week. But man the new top with a glass window was SO MUCH BETTER.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anyone? Bueller?
What rollbar should I get goons?

Car is a weekend driver
I want to AutoX once I fix brakes
I have an aftermarket glass window top, not sure brand
I want to eventually have a hardtop
Don't want to spend a buttload
5'6" tall
1993 Miata

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I know there are the bolt in kind, but have you talked to anyone that makes cages near you? I know here there is a guy that does them custom and they are cheaper installed than a hard dog or whatever is just to get mailed to you.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

After arguing back and forth with the insurance company, it looks like I'm going to get about $5k for my totaled 1997 Miata.

I'm looking at more Miatas to purchase, and I wanted to see what goons thought about these two:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3243399619.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3240242395.html

Both are Red/Tan 2001 Miatas with 100Kish miles on them. They both seem to have decent option packages on them since they have the same wheels and the leather interiors. I'm not sure if this means they're 6 speeds or not.

Are these reasonable cars at this price? What should I look for when purchasing these? I know these are interference engines, so the timing belt change on these is more crucial than on a NA 1.8.

I'm considering these over a NA because it will be a daily driver and the improved creature comforts seem worth it. If I pick up a NA though, I'll use the remaining money to probably buy a set of track tires and wheels. Thoughts?

edit: To the poster below - I thought the 01+ VVT engines were interference engines?

Korwen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 8, 2012

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every engine option in the NA and NB Miatas are non interference.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That reminds me, why exactly does everyone seem to sperg out over doing timing belts every. 60k. on. the. dot. on Miatas? Obviously getting stranded sucks, but they act like it's the end of the world if it snaps on you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

opengl128 posted:

That reminds me, why exactly does everyone seem to sperg out over doing timing belts every. 60k. on. the. dot. on Miatas? Obviously getting stranded sucks, but they act like it's the end of the world if it snaps on you.

I've got AAA, I'm just going to run it until it goes or I have other issues.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
I did the timing belt on mine at 140,000 miles, and the one we pulled off was from the factory. It was definitely aged, but it wasn't shredded/torn/moments from snapping.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I have to sell the '99 that I posted about a page or two back, but I have no idea how much to ask for a car that's been in an accident and has a driver's door won't open because of it.

The good:

-Timing Belt, tensioner, water pump, clutch, and top were all just replaced two months ago. I spent about $2000 in total getting the car ready to last me another 100k miles, ugh.
-The accident bent the rear upper control arm on the driver's side, but I replaced that and the car now drives great.

The bad:

-190k miles.
-Paint is poo poo.
-Leather on the driver's seat is torn to shreds.
-A piece of the ignition cylinder broke off the night before the accident, so I removed the ignition switch from the end of the cylinder and have been using a screwdriver to start the car since.
-I'm slowly leaking clutch fluid, I think?
- And, uh:

I'm really just looking to make back the down payment I made on my new car - $1,000, should I be aiming higher, or would I be lucky to get even that?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Ask for like $1750 and take whatever offer you can get. Add a few hundred if it has a 6 speed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Seems like a great stripper for a race car, wouldn't it be?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
How's the subframe?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
My mother was visiting last weekend and was eyeballing a red Miata that is for sale down the road.

It is a 1990 with 178000 km on it. Looks to be in pretty good shape for a 22 year old car. Guy is asking $5500 OBO and the dealer who's lot it is in told me its been there all summer and he would take any offer over $3000 to the guy for approval.

She wants me to take it out for a test drive and look things over. Any particular things I should look out for?

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

helno posted:

My mother was visiting last weekend and was eyeballing a red Miata that is for sale down the road.

It is a 1990 with 178000 km on it. Looks to be in pretty good shape for a 22 year old car. Guy is asking $5500 OBO and the dealer who's lot it is in told me its been there all summer and he would take any offer over $3000 to the guy for approval.

She wants me to take it out for a test drive and look things over. Any particular things I should look out for?

As far as I know, nothing outside of the usual car stuff (rust, over spray, horrible noises). Look this over since it's a 90. Supposed to be the biggest issue with those cars.

I'm looking for some new tires. I have some cheapo Falken Ziex-512s on my steelies, and I have a set of Daisies to replace them with, but they need tires and I was hoping for something more in the way of quality. I know the Dunlop Star Specs are supposed to be the best tire out there right now for performance, but since this is a daily driver, should I still go for them or look for something more with longevity in mind?

flier129
Aug 28, 2012

Mezmerized Machine posted:

As far as I know, nothing outside of the usual car stuff (rust, over spray, horrible noises). Look this over since it's a 90. Supposed to be the biggest issue with those cars.

I'm looking for some new tires. I have some cheapo Falken Ziex-512s on my steelies, and I have a set of Daisies to replace them with, but they need tires and I was hoping for something more in the way of quality. I know the Dunlop Star Specs are supposed to be the best tire out there right now for performance, but since this is a daily driver, should I still go for them or look for something more with longevity in mind?

Radiator, CAS o-ring leaking, rust right behind the wheels, rust on the back of the trunk...more the inside. If there's rust in the trunk then it needs a new rain rail. Might want to check to make sure the top latches are still latching fully. Dashes on those years are also prone to crack.. And general car stuff.

Star Specs are not the best street tire for performance, Hankook RS3 or Toyo R1R are much stickier. But for performance and wear the Star Specs are really good. If you want something that'll last even longer, look into Yokohama S.drives. I run a set on my DD wheels and are liking them so far.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Mezmerized Machine posted:

If it was one of the bad ones it would have been dead 100,000km ago.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What's the little blank square to the left of the glove box in an NA for? In some pictures I've seen something there but can't quite make it out. I'm thinking of installing an extra power outlet there so I don't have to stretch cords from the one in the stock position to the right of the wheel.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

opengl128 posted:

What's the little blank square to the left of the glove box in an NA for? In some pictures I've seen something there but can't quite make it out. I'm thinking of installing an extra power outlet there so I don't have to stretch cords from the one in the stock position to the right of the wheel.

In mine that's where the "dome light" is. Strategically placed to be of absolutely no use what so ever.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sadi posted:

In mine that's where the "dome light" is. Strategically placed to be of absolutely no use what so ever.

Weird, my 97 has a dome/overhead/whatever light at the top center of the windshield. Wonder if there's any wiring behind that panel to make things easy for me. Doubt it!

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I bought a '99 when i got back to the states in April after years of wanting to steal my moms Miata. Ive got a decent job now, and after getting some boring responsible things done, I intend to throw money at my Miata. Aside from "faster" I don't have any real specific goals for it. Does anyone know of some good shops, preferably Miata focused shops, in the Tampa/St Pete area that I could start talking to in order to get some ideas going?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Here are some ideas for you: miataturbo.net.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What tires do you have on it? Put on decent tires, get an alignment to flying miata specs, and then see if you want to do anything to it at all.

...I wish I could get more camber on my fronts, I'm really wearing the outer shoulder. Going to have to get the tires remounted before I cord them. Either that, or give them even more than 38 PSI cold for autox days, I'm not sure which. Probably both. Rears are wearing evenly.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

opengl128 posted:

Weird, my 97 has a dome/overhead/whatever light at the top center of the windshield. Wonder if there's any wiring behind that panel to make things easy for me. Doubt it!

I believe in 95 or 96 they removed the glove box dome light, but they just put a plastic panel over it.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

What tires do you have on it?

This is where my lack of car knowledge is going to start to become readily apparent. I know loving nothing about tires, including which ones are on my car. Can you suggest decent tires? I'm going to be using it as a daily driver, but I'm young and stupid so comfort really isnt a concern. Cost/longevity/grip are really thing only things I care about [though not in that order].

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

On stock wheels, I'd go with StarSpecs, but you're going to burn through them - they're an 'extreme performance summer' tire that will grip really well, but the trade-off is that they don't last. What are your goals with the car? Autocross? Lap days? Just a spirited driver? Without specific goals its hard to recommend anything.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I bought a '99 when i got back to the states in April after years of wanting to steal my moms Miata. Ive got a decent job now, and after getting some boring responsible things done, I intend to throw money at my Miata. Aside from "faster" I don't have any real specific goals for it. Does anyone know of some good shops, preferably Miata focused shops, in the Tampa/St Pete area that I could start talking to in order to get some ideas going?

I used to work for a Miata shop called Just Miata in St.Pete, might want to look into that. He did turbo/SC installs when I was there but that was like ten years ago, you'd have to check and see if he still does them. The owner's name is Stuart, he does good work and backs it up.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

On stock wheels, I'd go with StarSpecs, but you're going to burn through them - they're an 'extreme performance summer' tire that will grip really well, but the trade-off is that they don't last. What are your goals with the car? Autocross? Lap days? Just a spirited driver? Without specific goals its hard to recommend anything.

Mostly just having fun, but I would like the ability to tear up a track day. Is anyone in here in any sort of miata clubs in tampa/st pete? I feel like that would be a good starting point, but having never really done anything with cars before I dont know poo poo.

Basically I'm interested in it, and dont know how to start moving forward. Oh, and I've seen online that apparently its possible to cram an ls1 into a miata. While I dont have that sort of cash on hand now, I'm single, have no kids, and a pretty decent job, so depending on how much that costs (havent been able to find any numbers with a cursory googling, though my google fu is admittedly weak)that could be an option.

edit: I guess I should talk a bit about the car for better info. I bought it used off craigslist. Its a 99 like I said, and has about 148k on it. It runs fine, but I dont know for sure that theres nothing wrong with it. Same goes for the transmission (5spd); it shifts fine, but this is my first manual so maybe I'm just not noticing something. It also leaks brake fluid, but I have no idea where from, so I've been refilling it periodically while I got a job/ got money to fix it. The hood latch also doesnt really catch; the hood is held down mostly by friction between the bent out of shape catch, and duct tape. Obviously, the brakes and the hood will get fixed before ANYTHING else is done to the car, but once those are done I intend to start throwing "fun" money at it.

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 14, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Once you've tracked down the brake issue and hood latch, I'd do:

-Tires (Starspecs, RS-3's, etc...)
-Brake pads (http://blog.caranddriver.com/performance-brake-pads-compared-hawk-hps-hawk-hp-plus-ebc-yellowstuff/ all good for street/autoX use, I don't know about lapping)

And then stop. Drive it, do some autocross events, a lap day if you've got a roll bar, and then see what you want to do.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

I bought that white NA with the hardtop I posted about in late July. I have already been rearended, but there wasn't any apparent damage. I figured, it would be a good idea to fix the high mount brake light which wasn't working. I replaced the bulb, but when that didn't work, I noticed the wires were cut by the trunk hinge. I was trying to fix that today and messed something up while trying to test voltages with my multimeter so that now none of the brake lights work.

No problem, right? I consulted the manual, found there was a fuse dedicated to the stop lights and thought I would just need to replace it. I pulled the panel under the steering wheel only to find this horror.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

What happened? Why would someone do this? I just don't understand?!?!

Any suggestions on how to fix this mess? Obviously I'm not good at fixing poo poo, but this seems like a terribly expensive problem to bring to a shop. I guess I don't really care if it is a terrible rat's nest if everything works and the car doesn't start on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
DTC-60s for a track pad.