Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is a Miata actually that uncomfortable long distance? I test drove an ND Grand Touring about 2 months ago, and I remember it being suprisingly comfortable. I drove the Club last week, and I could see it being pretty uncomfortable/tiring after an hour or two, depending on the road surface. Then again, the last car I had with leather seats got pretty uncomfortable after a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

um excuse me posted:

God damnit gently caress this car.

The heads were just machined.

Potentially dumb question, but how does this happen? Manufacturing imperfection, not enough grease/oil (I assume camshafts are lubed :confused:), something else (timing issues, re: that belt)? I am not a mechanic. :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s not true. The panel folds into the same space the soft top does, unless you are considering the space behind the seats with the top up as part of your trunk space.

I don’t own either but have driven both. I like the look of the RF from the side with the top up, but otherwise I think soft top is the way to go. Simpler/faster operation, better visibility, ostensibly lighter therefore better, but probably can’t tell the difference most of the time. If you live somewhere with bad weather I could see the appeal.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do you have extremely bad credit or something? Used car are a little different but with new cars you can usually borrow at pretty low rates.

I’m not necessarily financially savvy but you’d probably be better off putting whatever cash you save into a 5-year CD and getting a loan anyway. That way it helps your credit, and the interest you get from the CD will be near to or even more than what you paid in interest on the loan.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ND2 GT has a LSD option, at least in the US.

edit: actually, did they get rid of it? I’m looking on the Mazda website now. The 2019 definitely had it, the GT-S package.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 19, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

For every 24-hour interval your car is street parked in SF, the probability it will be broken into increases 2-3 percentage points. I’m so glad I have a garage spot. Even then, just running errands has left my bumper with a few scrapes from license plate holder screws.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s crazy how big the ND looks in comparison. Modern cars are so big. If you ever see an air-cooled 911, especially long hoods, next to a modern one it’s pretty shocking. I get a lot of that is safety and convenience but still.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I know the ND is small, which is why it’s so wild that is looks big in comparison. Maybe my post was poorly phrased. It is more two thoughts, not that the ND is big, modern car. Like yeah that R360 a kei car, so anything looks big, but imagine an Accord parked next to that thing.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ethanol posted:

how does ur rear diff even do this

Applesnots posted:

Magic and spite.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the rear tires are the same diameter, why would the diff have any issues? Wouldn't it be more strain on the rest of the drive train?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Miata's mandate is lightness so hopefully it's a good thing. :unsmith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ror posted:

So I haven’t seen Miata tirechat in a while, what are most people here doing?

I burned through my stock Potenza S001s on my ND in about 15k miles which is apparently about average. I live in a place with mild, but snowy winters and I’ve been dead set on getting high performance summer tires and dedicated snow tires, but it’s a huge pain in the rear end for me to store a second set of tires right now. I actually drove in the stock summer tires this past winter and it’s… doable, but extremely unsafe.

I think I’m just gonna pull the trigger on some Pilot Sport all-seasons, I don’t do anything more than spirited street driving and it would be really great to not change tires. The hardcore enthusiast in me keeps thinking about not having as much grip as a summer tire in the dry, but I’m beginning to think that high quality all-seasons might be just as good for me for how hard I push the car.

Besides the issue of grip, I wouldn't run summer tires in the winter because they can "cold crack." Like, most OEM summer tires probably aren't going to do that (baseless assumption on my part), but it's definitely a real thing. If you can't reliably switch between tires, then I think all-season is the way to go. Yes, they must be worse, but I think you're getting pretty abstract in most cases, as you allude.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

OK, so, some baseline statements:

* I want a white miata RF
* I can and will be paying cash
* I am terrified of dealers and their loving shenanigans. I am awful at poker.

What is my approach to get the best prices on a ND? Should I play dumb and slow when they quote me a price (assuming some stupid 15% interest on their side) and then be all "sounds good i'll have a check here tomorrow" and then fight it out? This is so adversarial. I hate dealers. I got owned hard on a Subaru and don't want to get hosed again.

AFAIK having cash isn't really a bargaining chip. Almost anyone can get financing for a car, and that's how dealers make a lot of their money. This is in the context of new or lightly used cars. If you're talking like 30 year old Ferraris or something, then it's different.

Anyway I've bought 2 new cars and 1 used car from dealers, and I never felt any pressure to buy anything besides the car. I just said "no thank you" and we moved on. Maybe a waste of time, but oh well. Figure out what price you want to pay and then find someone to sell it to you for that.

Just out of curiosity, I looked on Carvana, and this car is in the results whether I say I'm in Denver or San Francisco, at 29,590 either way, so probably not much in way of haggling with Carvana I imagine.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Would this work with any homelink rearview mirror? I assume it would? I had thought in the past about splicing a dashcam into the homelink wiring harness but never had the courage. The power/cable routing is what has stopped me from putting one in my personal car so far.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Is that one of those smallerized ND wheels that are like a grand?

I like what appears to be a (presumably very old) Arai XD4. Aren’t motorcycle helmets specifically not allowed for cars? They don’t have the fire resistant liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's not just visibility, but the nature of the spot. Personally I can't even get into my parking spot at home head-in if my neighbors are parked, and conversely I can't get out backing out. Maybe someone who understands can explain why, but I find my car "pulls" along the front versus pivots on its rear. When reversing the front of the car is clear to swing out whereas pulling in your car swings directly into whatever you're steering around.