Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Hoping yall can help me out. I've got a broken valve on one of my tires. Its barely visible, but you can sorta see where the whole loving thing is cracked in half here:

Its completely flat. I have a pump at home but it wont hold air for poo poo and I dont have a way to fix it here. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can keep air in this thing long enough to limp it somewhere nearby to get fixed/replaced? I know I cant drive on it with the (nonexistent) pressure it has in it now without loving up the rim, but I really dont want to pay to have this towed for something so small and stupid (also im broke af lmao)

If you don't have a spare, what phone said. Use the jack in the car to jack it up, take off the wheel and have someone drive you to the nearest tire shop to have it fixed.

Shouldn't cost too much unless you have TPMS in which case you'd need a new sensor probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My experience selling Miatas is it will be a hard sell at that price if the top is torn.

Put a cheap new top on it, add the cost to the price and you'll be more likely to sell it for what you want. Plus a new top is a great selling point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I’ve been seeing NC1s in the 5-6k range with higher miles, but an intact top.

NC prices are kind of dumb right now, I’m trying to find an NC1 under 5k or an NC2 under 8k.

Dumb as in too high or low? I figured they would be running low since they are pretty much the stepchild now with the ND available.

I've never driven an NC, if it blew me away driving wise I might consider one but I just don"t like the way they look with the toilet lid hood I can't ever unsee :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can’t you just take the entire frame off like in the NA/NB? It’s so much easier with the top off the car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Every time I look at NB Miatas for sale I keep seeing pristine low mileage automatic cars for cheap and raged out manuals at crack pipe prices.

Really tempted to get a slushbox NB and do a manual swap. I've done it once before, it's a pain in the dick but not completely horrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm in Florida so there's plenty down here, plus I'd get a NB2 if I decide to do it. Thanks for the offer tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been thinking about getting another Miata, and since I've already owned 4 NAs and don't really want another one I've been looking at NBs and NDs. I really like the ND but don't want to spend that much money. Like the NB as well, but most of them are well used and overpriced imo.

I was never really partial to the NC because of how it looks, but recently I've seen some decent deals out there and have been warming up to them.

I have never driven an NC before, so how would you guys rate them as far as all the Miatas go driving wise? I know they are the ugliest Miata but if they drive better than an NB I might start seriously looking at a few.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lots of automatics out there, ugh.

I'd want an NC2 at the least. Power hard top is interesting too, unless there are problems with them then I'd rather have the soft top

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think after looking whats out there the top won't matter much as long as it's an NC2 with a manual and suspension package.

Seems like most of the hard tops are automatics anyway so I'd be kinda surprised if I ended up with one honestly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm in central Florida, I'm in no hurry but I'll be keeping an eye out ready to pounce if I need to.

Gonna try to keep it under 15k, if I can find a motivated private seller I think I can get a good deal eventually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This reminds me of the time I went to change out the water pump and TB on my '97 only to find the PO used about ten gallons of coolant stop leak instead of swapping out the radiator which would have fixed the problem. The poo poo was caked everywhere inside the engine and would have been impossible to clean it all out, I have never seen any like it before or since. I had pics of it but I can't seem to find them, they are probably in this thread somewhere I'm sure.

The car never overheated or anything but I was so pissed over that and people constantly backing into it at work that I just got rid of it, and that was my last Miata :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Still thinking about getting back into a Miata but I'm racking my brain on a late NC vs early ND.

Every once in awhile an ND with ok miles pops up for under 20k, but I've been seeing some low mileage NC2's for 15k or less. I really need to drive both but hate the hassle of going to dealers to do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

i like the NC, but an ND1 is straight up a better car

Yeah that's what I was wondering, if it's a straight up better car overall it would be worth the extra money I think.

I'm in no rush so I have time to wait for a good deal on a private sale on either one, but I'm gonna need to get to some dealerships to drive them and figure out what's what.

My son is going to be driving soon and he's getting the xB so Dad's gonna need a new car :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'm trying to find a removable bike rack to fit the trunk of an NC with a spoiler. I only need to move one bike around and dont need anything crazy heavy duty/dont want to install a hitch. Anyone got any suggestions?

If you have a hard top you could try one of the suction cup mounts with the top up.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/car-racks/products/talon

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 4, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't realize the NC is that much safer but good to know.

As someone who has owned 4 NAs they are fun but I'm ready to make the step up to the better car, an NC or ND. I would say if you can afford it get the better car.

I actually found the exact NC I want (NC3 Sport) in my area on Offerup and of course the seller is not responding lol, what is it with people that do that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah driving an NA is like riding a motorcycle in that regard, you're almost invisible and have to assume that nobody sees you at all times

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Except also has no where near the acceleration to remove yourself forward from a bad situation. Not slow, but yeah definitely small and unseen. Cool rear end car though, wish it were wet here less.

It has the handling and braking tho, I have definitely dodged bad situations by cranking the wheel one way or another without losing control.

I rode bikes for years and had people pull out in front of me just as much in a Miata lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leviathan Song posted:

I work in airplane safety not car safety but I think that's 100% bullshit. The NC has much better airbags and crumple zones than an NA. Yeah you're at greater risk from a roll over or someone straight up driving over you than a brodozer but nasty intersection collisions are so much more likely than rolling a miata that there is a measurable objective increase in safety. The NC is in compliance with the 2005 changes to offset impact crash testing which was an absolutely massive improvement in car safety. If you don't give a poo poo just get a motorcycle but an NC is better than almost all pre-2000 cars.

This is honestly why I keep getting tempted by some nice NAs and NBs but stay away. If the NC is a safer and better car overall it's a no brainer living in the densely populated urban sprawl that I do.

I've been in a bad accident tho that would have killed me if I was in a 90's Miata or any other car from that era so I'm WAY more weary now than I would have been before.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I end up getting an NC I really want to do FD RX7 stock silver wheels

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just lost out on a great deal for an NB2, original owner 130k miles and pretty nice condition for $3700.

The seller was an older guy and wasn't communicating very well so by the time I got there someone else got there literally a minute before me and nabbed it, even tho I had cash in hand and the first guy didn't, seller is giving him the opportunity to get some so maybe if I luck out the guy will flake but I doubt it.

[edit] The seller called me to tell me he's taking it off the market because his son wants it, aka I'm taking it off the market because I priced it too low and will relist it at a higher price

This is what happens when people don't bring cash to good deals lol

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 17, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Driving with flip flops isn't hard it's all in the technique, and if they're too big for your feet and catch on the floor mat then you just take em off and drive barefoot easy peasy lemon squeezy

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I live in Florida on the beach and spend lots of time on and around the beach. I rarely wear shoes lol.

As long as you're wearing the correct size flip flops it's never an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Parker Lewis posted:

Anyone have experience with the airbag system on older Miatas?

I have a '94 Miata M Edition and the airbag light on the dash is blinking; I have read that this can either be an airbag sensor that fails with age, or a larger problem with the actual airbag unit.

Given that the car is already a little nerve-wracking to drive in a world of 6' pickup truck grilles, the thought of also not having airbags is pretty concerning so I'd like to figure out a way to get this fixed.

Just do what most NA owners do, install a much better Momo steering wheel and put a piece of black electrical tape over the light