Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tickets go on sale for GY!BE's show in Chicago tomorrow morning at 10am. Take my money now, take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're playing somewhere in Hyde Park in January(?)

Rockefeller Chapel, at UofC. I'm literally going to explode.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jehde posted:

Finally got around to hooking up a turntable so I could crack this thing open:

Holy crap what an amazing compilation. The track list ticks all the right boxes and the included booklet has all sorts of old photos and memorabilia in it.

:eyepop:

Wow, that is gorgeous.

canis minor posted:

You can always use this as a pretext to buy a turntable

I think this solidifies my next big purchase being a turntable and decent sound system.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Saw Godspeed live. It owned. Ok bye.

Same here, saw them the night of the 13th. loving amazing. East Hastings to close out their set blew my gourd. They played a lot of new material, I dug it. About 3/4 of the way through their set the speaker that was right in front of me blew out, was a very :boom: moment from GY!BE.

The openers, Xylouris White(sp?) were dope, too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

No more talking about seeing Explosions live!

I'm seeing them in September for the first time and that feels like an eternity from now :emo:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TG-Chrono posted:

Different genre, but Austin Wintory's score of Journey and now Abzu are nearly peerless for me. Everything I've heard of 65dos stuff for NMS is very good so far though.

Oh poo poo did 65dos do Journey's soundtrack? Fuckin love that, gonna bump that at work today.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

This band describes their style as "avant garde experimental funk rock jazz jazzgrind nerd pronk psychedelic saxophone shred skronk spazz jazz zappaesque".

I really do think pronk best describes their sound. They sound like The Minutemen crashed into an ugly horn section and mutated into a creature unknown by science.

https://bigevil.bandcamp.com/releases

Any band that describes themselves this way I immediately entertain no thought of listening to. If you have to try that hard to describe your music, nah.

Also, Zappaesque? Immediately a "stay away" sign, as well as making Zappa spin in his grave.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

Imagine trying to describe Radiohead to someone who had never heard them.

lovely, that's how I'd describe them :shrug: But hey, you go listen to your "scratchy synthpopwave break-pop postmetal theremin-inspired-transcendental puppy noise" music, makes no mind to me!

Also lol at judging someone's taste in music by their described genres. You probably are one of those genre-elitist arguers, aren't you? "This isn't postmetal, it's PROGpostmetal, jesus you heathen" :circlefap:

mormonpartyboat posted:

is there a genre of music thats just people rattling off genres of music

I'd listen to it as long as the description, band name and track name(s) of their music was also just all the different genres of music.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

I have no idea what genres to call any band.

AARO posted:

I really do think pronk best describes their sound.

lol, okay

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

Holy poo poo you are dense. That was a joke. They made up the word "pronk".

:thejoke:

I listened to them and looked up that word, pal.

They suck. That was evident even before I listened to them by the fact that they made up a few genres to be "witty."

You bore me, though, and they certainly aren't post-rock. :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think the only two shows I seriously regret missing last year were when Mono and This Will Destroy You came through.

I did see EitS though so all in all I'd call my post-rocking in 2016 a push.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

That is one hell of a lineup :stare:

Yeah, holy poo poo. I am into like 3/4 of those bands and the other 1/4 I haven't really heard of, usually the numbers are reversed..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Talking of which:

Meh, I dunno. Not nearly as good as previous years yet IMO. Still loads more to come though.

Rolo Tomassi being there is :psypop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

New This Will Destroy You track!

Well this is a surprise! It's faster and heavier and more energetic than I've heard them sound in a long time.

Their new album is coming out on the 28th, so just a few weeks away.

gently caress, this reminds me I need to buy tickets to their show! I've put it off cause I've wanted to buy them in person and save on ticket fees, I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by waiting too long :ohdear:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The new TWDY reminds me a lot of 65daysofstatic's OST for No Man's Sky. Fuckin radical, can't wait to see them in a few weeks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uh holy gently caress, that's actually right in the middle of my trip to Japan.

Holy gently caress :kingsley:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BobHoward posted:

IMO: point her at Mogwai’s Les revenants soundtrack album. Lots of softer piano and woodwind tracks, beautiful compositions, and by the time it gets slightly heavy it’s almost over.

Thanks for reminding me about this album, I'm gonna put it on right now.

Also, for more downtempo piano stuff, The American Dollar is really good. And I actually really like the guy who did that poppy Fireflies song's solo project Port Blue. I love me some chill piano.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gonna buy my tickets tomorrow to see El Ten Eleven this weekend :toot:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ofecks posted:

e: anyone else seen Caspian live? Will I need earplugs?

I haven't seen them live but I think this answer is a definite yes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Goddamn, wish I could tally how many times I've listened to that album. Gonna listen to it again tonight.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

The Birth and Death of the Day still one of the best album openers in my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-mWblMPpw

It's loving amazing live too

:hmmyes:

That album was a fun soundtrack behind Witchehhhh 3 while I played last night. Gonna give it at least one more spin today!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

and Les Revenants is very, very meh and inert.

:wtc:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pretty sure it's the first track on that album but the cold opening with the marimba sounding synth and reverb is loving haunting

gently caress, I'm gonna listen to LR tonight

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Vesi posted:

This Will Nourish You

:nice:

precision posted:

You Will Destroy This Plate of Cheese Fries

i've never felt more seen

funkybottoms posted:

This Will Destroy Your Toilet

lmfao

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

If These Tacos Could Talk

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

They closed ticket sales at least 7 hours before the Mogwai show yesterday... so I wasn't able to buy a ticket. I know I should've bought one earlier, but for a prerecorded show why the gently caress would you do that? I'm honestly pretty salty about it, but the new album comes out in a week so whatever, I guess.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO glad it wasn’t just me. I was jumping all over trying to find a ticket link until I checked their Twitter and saw literally dozens of people like “hey can I get a link to your show tonight?” and them going “hey sorry ticket sales are closed” when they weren’t scheduled to start for another 8 hours. Not really sure what the point of capping digital ticket sales is for a stream, haven’t seen anyone else do it this way before, every livestream concert I’ve been to has just had tix going until “doors” basically.

A weird decision by a good band.

Edit: I found this and just watched it instead ha ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IKnEoynHw

:yossame:

I absolutely assumed, cause someone posted earlier that they give you a little wiggle room for start time, that they'd be selling tickets literally throughout the show. Wonder how many ticket sales they lost because of that stupid decision.

I'm salty cause it was supposed to be a date night kinda thing. But instead of the performance we bought a video tour by the Boston MFA about Basquiat and his influence on art/hip-hop, so we still had a good night :toot:

Thanks for that YouTube link though, def gonna put it on today!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

new thread title?

:agreed:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I saw them inside this gorgeous church with maybe 150 people in the crowd, that was a pretty amazing show.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Is that the Chicago chapel one? I had tickets but was incredibly sick and couldn't go.

Caught them a few years later at the Metro though.

Spot on! Was a great fuckin show. A bit pricey but absolutely worth it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I would love to see a mosh pit spontaneously happen at like, a GY!BE show.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

err posted:

Got tickets to MONO and GY!BE in a few months. Anyone else planning on going? Wonder if they will actually happen with the recent COVID spread.

Hell yeah, thanks for causing me to look up MONO's tour dates and realize they'll be playing in Chicago in April :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I saw MONO a couple months ago and they fuckin jam OUT, that was a great show. Openers were... meh, but MONO just absolutely slayed. And then they played the two songs I wanted the most for the encores so I was in pure bliss.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Captain_Person posted:

*I briefly saw them when I was 12 but can't remember / didn't care at the time

drat you were way cooler than me when I was 12 lol

Mogwai is fantastic live, I saw them soon after they released Rave Tapes and :swoon:

Fake edit: absolutely bring ear plugs, excellent advice

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Arctangent have gone a bit more back towards their post and math rock roots this year.

https://twitter.com/ATGFestival/status/1750459114667278655?t=z2wT4x4Lr55f4n3IOh9KIQ&s=19

Apparently I really need to check out Clown Core

holy poo poo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Squarepusher had my ears ringing for a week, easily the loudest show I've been to (also I had lovely earplugs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Carpet posted:

Need to stock up on earplugs.

Imo buy a nicer pair, I'm partial to Etymotic