Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Johnny Truant posted:

Any band that describes themselves this way I immediately entertain no thought of listening to. If you have to try that hard to describe your music, nah.

Well then you probably have very boring taste. There are tons of great bands that it'd take listing tons of genres to even get a glimpse of what they sounded like. Imagine trying to describe Radiohead to someone who had never heard them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
is there a genre of music thats just people rattling off genres of music

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

Imagine trying to describe Radiohead to someone who had never heard them.

lovely, that's how I'd describe them :shrug: But hey, you go listen to your "scratchy synthpopwave break-pop postmetal theremin-inspired-transcendental puppy noise" music, makes no mind to me!

Also lol at judging someone's taste in music by their described genres. You probably are one of those genre-elitist arguers, aren't you? "This isn't postmetal, it's PROGpostmetal, jesus you heathen" :circlefap:

mormonpartyboat posted:

is there a genre of music thats just people rattling off genres of music

I'd listen to it as long as the description, band name and track name(s) of their music was also just all the different genres of music.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Johnny Truant posted:

Also lol at judging someone's taste in music by their described genres. You probably are one of those genre-elitist arguers, aren't you? "This isn't postmetal, it's PROGpostmetal, jesus you heathen" :circlefap:

What the gently caress are you even talking about? I wasn't judging anyone's taste in music based on genres. I was saying you're an idiot because you will not listen to certain things solely because they used too many genres to describe it.

And I'm far from a genre elitist. I'm one of the worst at it actually. I have no idea what genres to call any band. And that's probably because a lot of the music I listen to is weird.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

I have no idea what genres to call any band.

AARO posted:

I really do think pronk best describes their sound.

lol, okay

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Holy poo poo you are dense. That was a joke. They made up the word "pronk".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AARO posted:

Holy poo poo you are dense. That was a joke. They made up the word "pronk".

:thejoke:

I listened to them and looked up that word, pal.

They suck. That was evident even before I listened to them by the fact that they made up a few genres to be "witty."

You bore me, though, and they certainly aren't post-rock. :shrug:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Edit, deleted.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 16, 2017

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Count Chocula posted:

Edit, deleted.

Don't delete that Big Evil post! This poo poo is loving incredible!

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
A few things I've been listening to lately:

Into Orbit - Unearthed Bandcamp|Spotify (post-metal)
Kairon Irse - Ruination Bandcamp|Spotify (Shoegaze/ post-rock)
Labirinto - Gehenna Spotify (post-metal)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Grails has a new album soon, it's pretty decent. I wasn't blown away by it at first but it really grew on me, defiantly worth picking up and giving it a few spins.

https://grails.bandcamp.com/album/chalice-hymnal

It's ok, they said they made it while listening to shitloads of 70s movie soundtracks. I like New Prague.

SmokinDan posted:

Labirinto - Gehenna Spotify (post-metal)

Nice, kinda getting some Latitudes vibes from the end of Mal Sacre

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The bassist for Kyoty has his own project and it's pretty good, I think.
https://conquered.bandcamp.com/album/kin

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

The bassist for Kyoty has his own project and it's pretty good, I think.
https://conquered.bandcamp.com/album/kin

Oh cool, I used to play D&D with that guy. Love KYOTY's live shows.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
They're playing Friday at the Brickhouse.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

They're playing Friday at the Brickhouse.

I saw, but I'm not working enough to take time off right now.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I got tickets to see Mono!

:dance:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I got tickets to see Mono!

:dance:

You have made a good decision.

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016
I saw Mono in a tiny club in 2007 or something, and it was one of the most emotional, intense and beautiful shows I've ever seen. I saw them again last year and it was just boring - which can probably be explained by the fact that they played mostly (or all?) newer stuff (which just pales in comparison with the older albums).
By the way, I'd like to recommend a post-rock(ish) band which is pretty much the polar opposite of the standard, generic, crescendo-core: 'O'rang, particularly their album Herd of Instinct (from 1994). It's 2 ex-members of Talk Talk. Ethnic, psychedelic, tropical vibes, sounds like pretty much nothing else (OK, maybe a tiny bit like Talk Talk, which can only be a plus). Completely awesome.

Slowdive fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 26, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen Mono at the same venue like 3 or 4 times and they've ruled every time. It's one of those venues where you're like inches away from the band. I've always loved watching them perform, especially Takaa. He just goes so hard at every show in a way most other musicians don't, outside of like the guys in Caspian.

They're playing that same venue in May so I'm gonna try to see them again.

Seeing Yearning live in 2010 was one of my all-time favorite concert experiences. That was also the loudest show I'd ever witnessed up until that point, and I was in the front row and not wearing earplugs. I regret nothing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think the only two shows I seriously regret missing last year were when Mono and This Will Destroy You came through.

I did see EitS though so all in all I'd call my post-rocking in 2016 a push.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Johnny Truant posted:

I think the only two shows I seriously regret missing last year were when Mono and This Will Destroy You came through.

I did see EitS though so all in all I'd call my post-rocking in 2016 a push.
I'm probably gonna be seeing This Will Destroy You, Deafheaven, Sigur Ros, Mono and Explosions in the Sky within like 2 months of each other soon :cool:

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
I'd lost to see Godspeed You Black Emperor live. They just have that apocalytic thing down so good.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

I've got two tickets to Emma Ruth Rundle, This Will Destroy You and Deafheaven for the 15th. I talked my wife into going with me.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

REALTHEWILL posted:

I'd lost to see Godspeed You Black Emperor live. They just have that apocalytic thing down so good.

I've seen them 5 times now. They are and have always been very good.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 5, 2017

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye 3 times for this legend. They're stunning live.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Any sign of a new album from TWDY? Their last was in 2015. They missed out on contributing to the vintage year of 2016, officially designated Year of Post-Rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Any sign of a new album from TWDY? Their last was in 2015. They missed out on contributing to the vintage year of 2016, officially designated Year of Post-Rock.
I don't know if they're coming out with a new album soon, but they're touring with Deafheaven and I am literally at the venue an hour or two away from seeing them live.

edit: oh gently caress that show ruled :vince: I've been wanting to see them live since high school and they delivered in every conceivable way.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 6, 2017

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know if they're coming out with a new album soon, but they're touring with Deafheaven and I am literally at the venue an hour or two away from seeing them live.

edit: oh gently caress that show ruled :vince: I've been wanting to see them live since high school and they delivered in every conceivable way.

How was Rundle?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

How was Rundle?
She was awesome! I'd never heard of her before, but she put on a great show. I was right in front of one of her guitarists who had all these weird DIY-looking pedals, so that was neat.

If you go to any date on this tour, WEAR EARPLUGS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. I didn't (big mistake) and my ears were ringing for hours after Deafheaven :lol:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

She was awesome! I'd never heard of her before, but she put on a great show. I was right in front of one of her guitarists who had all these weird DIY-looking pedals, so that was neat.

If you go to any date on this tour, WEAR EARPLUGS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. I didn't (big mistake) and my ears were ringing for hours after Deafheaven :lol:

She's ex Red Sparowes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

She's ex Red Sparowes.
Wait really?! poo poo, I had no idea :aaa:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Would you guys consider toe as post-rock? I've been listening to them and their Spotify related artists. Are there any Western bands with similar sound?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Would you guys consider toe as post-rock? I've been listening to them and their Spotify related artists. Are there any Western bands with similar sound?

I think Toe are more mathy, great band though, can't even really think of any Eastern bands that sound like Toe.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I've been listening to Giant Squid lately which is a bit hard to describe but if you liked O'Brother they're similar. Dreamy vocals with post-rock stylings. A bit sludgier than O'Brother though. They've broken up unfortunately.

Check out their last album, Minoans (Bandcamp|Spotify)

Their whole back catalog is interesting but a bit more hit and miss. I seriously don't think there's a bad song on Minoans.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm gonna try to keep this short so I don't turn into that guy who spews about their favorite band at the slightest provocation. Some of their influences are pele, and Ghosts and Vodka. Origami JP almost entirely based their sound off them, so they sound like toe but with songs in 6/8. toe's drummer is/has been in a lot of bands, and I could name some if you're interested.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SmokinDan posted:

I've been listening to Giant Squid lately which is a bit hard to describe but if you liked O'Brother they're similar. Dreamy vocals with post-rock stylings. A bit sludgier than O'Brother though. They've broken up unfortunately.

Check out their last album, Minoans (Bandcamp|Spotify)

Their whole back catalog is interesting but a bit more hit and miss. I seriously don't think there's a bad song on Minoans.

The Ichthyologist is one of the coolest, most inventive metal albums the past decade. I was super bummed when they called it quits. Aaron Gregory has resurfaced with a bunch of ex-Agalloch guys though.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

...I could name some if you're interested.

Go on...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Seconding, toe's drums are what makes their sound pop.

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
Might be seeing Explosions in the Sky this Spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Do Make Say Think album in May, here's the first track: https://soundcloud.com/constellation-records/do-make-say-think-bound-and-boundless

I thought it was gonna be one of their breezier tracks and then bam 4:40 mind melting DMST is back gently caress yes

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 9, 2017