Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

global tetrahedron posted:

Anyone seen that Mogwai DVD? I think it's called Burning. I ordered it on Amazon the other day. The previews looked awesome.

I seen it on screening day in theatres, it's fantastic, it makes me that more excited that I'm seeing them live in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

(Von would be at the very bottom and this would be above it)
Well there's your problem.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet (I shall fix that soon), but I remember what new tracks I did hear at the show here in Vancouver I really enjoyed. It's definitely different from most of Sigur Ros' previous work, but I wouldn't really say it's inline with Jonsi's side project. Jonsi's side project was more so pop where as the new Sigur Ros is more so rock. But they still use all the same sounds we've come to love from them along with new cool ones. The heavier percussion is awesome.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 10, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got a chance to listen to Kveikur all the way through, and it's as good as I thought it'd be. I can see how a couple of the tracks may not stand out as much, but there's a lot of tracks that really stood out for me, particularly Kveikur, Isjaki, Stormur, and Brennisteinn. I usually don't listen to Sigur Ros that much since my initial honeymoon phase with them, however I've been finding myself constantly going back to this album to listen to it again and again. Kveikur is much stronger of a release than Valtari, and it has quickly catapulted itself to being one of my favourite Sigur Ros albums. That shine may eventually wear off though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I clicked the link and initially thought, "Oh great another band hopping on the 80s synth trend", presuming that it'll be another lackluster release. (Wasn't too jazzed about Hardcore Will Never Die, but it has since warmed up to me.)

But my god it actually works, and really well at that. When that heavy synth came in half way through the song: :tviv:. For the record, Mogwai is easily my all time favourite band, and I'm usually a huge fan of anything 80s related (I just feel like a lot of things have been hopping on an 80s bandwagon lately) so I am eagerly waiting for this album release.

EDIT: I just realized this also might mean a tour to promote the album. I've missed out seeing Mogwai due to the drummer having wrist issues. So if I can see them live while promoting this album, I can finally die happy.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 30, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

EDIT: Tour pls?

Mogwai has announced a North American tour.

:supaburn:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just listened through it myself (Thanks for the heads up!) and have to say my first impressions were a bit different. The first couple songs didn't blow me away, but pretty much everything after Remurdered was fantastic. There's nothing really ground breaking, no, but some drat good Mogwai here, and some songs did honestly surprise me, like Blues Hour. Remurdered is actually the longest track, and since the rest of the album was p. :krad: to me, I didn't mind the other songs going on for 4-6 mins, let's not forget this band used to love making 15 min tracks. You're right that the percussion is really strong, and sometimes a bit too strong, because there is still alot of awesome synth work in there, it just more often than not gets masked by the percussion. It may just be omgnewmogwai glow, but I'm digging it.

Edit: Deesh and No Medecine For Regret really stood out for me.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 21, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

After listening to Rave Tapes way too much, the new album glow has finally worn off. I can definitely see now how some would find it generic and boring. There's not a lot of variety within the songs themselves, they play out pretty predictably. That said, I still love the tidbits of synth scattered about the album and it still makes most of the songs fun to listen to. The more I hear any lyrical work though, the more it makes me cringe.

And to contribute to other Mogwaichat: Happy Songs For Happy People has always been my favourite album too. I've never really been able to pinpoint why, though.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 25, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I would say Hawk Is Howling is more the plateau, and Hardcore Will Never Die was the slight downturn, and now Rave Tapes being a return to a comfortable plateau.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 28, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

I'd start with the actual very beginning, Ten Rapid. It's not great but it's not very long and the version of "Summer" on it is one of the best songs they've ever done and completely destroys the version on Young Team.

I'd start with the actual true very beginning, Tuner/Lower. :goonsay:

Really, what's worked for me and many others, has been finding a single you particularly enjoy, listen to the album it came from, and go from there. Mr Beast is what first got me into Mogwai.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There's actually dates for both Portland and Vancouver, however if you're talking about California, they posted an addendum with more dates.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been listening to some of Mogwai's lesser touted about recent work (namely Les Revenants Soundtrack and Earth Division EP) recently and there are some underappreciated gems in there. The reason why I never tire of Mogwai's discography is that it can be so varied and diverse, yet still have that unifying sound that makes it so unmistakably 'Mogwai'. Take these two concurrent songs for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8v3ywY744Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYDVob2sSGU

Also Mogwai using strings extensively. :awesome:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 22, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

11 Spoon Test !
14 Satchel Panzer !

I've heard of Spoon Test and figured it was the only song missing from my collection, never heard of Satchel Panzer before though. :stare:

Fantastic that both these and more will be available.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Friend of the Night
Cody
Ex-Cowboy
Ithica 27
We're no Here
Hunted By A Freak
Helicon 1
Glasgow Mega-Snake

I was worried that the tour's setlist would be overly dominated by the new releases, since they announced the tour in tandem with Rave Tapes' release. But hearing that it's full of classics too is reassuring. I was actually trying to contact them earlier to make a plea for them to add Hunted By A Freak to their set, since last time Mogwai was in Vancouver they had to cancel the show due to visa issues. Excited for Sunday night. :)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just got back, it was as fantastic as I was hoping for. Setlist varied abit from what Tha Chodesweller posted, but it was still a solid mix of tracks from their whole discography:
  1. Heard About You Last Night
  2. Friend of the Night
  3. Ithica 27 - 9
  4. I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
  5. Master Card
  6. Rano Pano
  7. Ex-Cowboy
  8. Travel is Dangerous
  9. How to Be a Werewolf
  10. Deesh
  11. Remurdered
  12. We're No Here

13. Auto Rock
  14. Hunted by a Freak (terrible cellphone footage)
  15. Mogwai Fear Satan
Amazing way to end the tour. :pcgaming:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got around to hooking up a turntable so I could crack this thing open:

Holy crap what an amazing compilation. The track list ticks all the right boxes and the included booklet has all sorts of old photos and memorabilia in it.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 16, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I ain't so hot on that track.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's probably not a troll, it's a reworked version of the soundtrack they did for the Channel 4 documentary, which I still need to watch.

Digging the preview track though, kind of a mix of Les Revenants and BoC's Tomorrow's Harvest.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

More new Mogwai soundtrack stuff.

Finally got around to seeing the Channel 4 documentary the soundtrack is for, some good poo poo. It's more like a Koyannistkatsi type of thing, some neat footage in it though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoy Mogwai's "new sound" and I'm glad they're changing things up instead of just making the same generic post-rock over and over again. It makes sense since they've always detested the cliched post-rock scene. There's already way too much post-rock rear end post-rock acts, Mogwai doesn't need to follow suit. I didn't like Hardcore Will Never Die at first because it was so different and off beat, but I came to appreciate it more over the years. Rave Tapes was fresh, except a couple songs were pretty mediocre, ironically mostly the ones that try to recapture a "traditional" sound. I remember a lot of goons ITT hated Rave Tapes but loved the deleted tracks that surfaced later, where as I found those deleted tracks to be totally uninspired and was glad they were kept off the album.

BlurPost-rock: are shite.

Edit: Same kinda thing is happening to Sigur Rós really. Anything they released after Takk bored me to the point of not bothering, just retreading on their tried and true sounds. Then Kveikur released and shook things up to great effect, becoming my favourite album of that year.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 10, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Atomic is a soundtrack, so probably no tour for it. Mogwai doesn't seem to want to slow down yet though, so probably won't be too long before another studio album.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tell me about these deleted songs from Rave Tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbKO43N46o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rAbjCT8l0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqpsqdIK410

Calling them deleted tracks isn't exactly correct I guess. They're more so tracks that were left off the main album and added to the Japanese/box set versions instead. They sound a lot closer to Mogwai's older sounds so I get why people like them, they just sound pretty :effort: to me.

BobHoward posted:

Les Revenants is really good, IMO. I liked Zidane too, but it doesn't work as well as a standalone work. A little too muted and repetitive. That's understandable though, it's music for a biopic.

Agree. The Earth Division EP released just after Hardcore Will Never Die has some real gems on it too, you can tell some of the sounds they explored in that then went on to Les Revenants soundtrack.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 13, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This was left off of most versions of Hardcore Will Never Die as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkA0rqMkvoA

Mogwai is really good guys.

Edit: Actually while we're talking about Mogwai B-sides, the original Mogwai B-side really sets the pace for what would come from Mogwai, while still very much showing their raw origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92xUPx1QQY

I've never actually really cared much for the A-side, Tuner.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I would love a really hefty and comprehensive boxset to save me chasing down Japanese imports in my twilight years...

While Central Belters isn't comprehensive, a third of it is dedicated to B-sides and other oddities. It's also an amazing compilation, definitely worth getting while you still can.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That new Mogwai soundtrack is being released with limited neato colour pattern LPs. Super tempting since the patterns fit the theme, but honestly I think the music is better accompanied with the visuals of the documentary.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Another new song from the upcoming EitS album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2p4Ml_lS7A

Still not digging it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

It was....ok? :shrug: I don't hate or love it. It might take time to adjust to it. But EITS can't go on reproducing "Your Hand in Mine" for their whole career. Change and progress are healthy even if not everything hits the mark, so kudos to them. I like EITS in general and I'll buy the new album on CD. I find TWDY, GYBE, EITS, Tortoise and Mogwai all very reliable and engaging and I'll buy anything new by them. None of them have ever made a bad album (granted that you actually like their stuff), though I actually dislike Tortoise's first album but that's just my taste, I wouldn't say it's a bad album.

Do we chat about Boards of Canada here or on another thread?

It's good that they're trying to change things up, but it feels like they're reaching for something out of their grasp.

As for Boards of Canada, there is an IDM thread, but it's been pretty quiet lately. Inject some life into it!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got around to listening to the new Mogwai soundtrack, it still manages to be super chilling without the visuals of the documentary, good poo poo. I also listened to the new EitS, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be, still not particularly good though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The documentary is great but not really a documentary. There's no narrative or anything, more a Koyaanisqatsi type thing, which lets the music shine.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

thomas pynchon posted:

Atomic is the first Mogwai album since Happy Songs that just doesn't do it for me. Needs a re-listen (Rave Tapes was a slow grower), but I wasn't impressed in the slightest (among a year of very good post-rock).

Well considering everyone in the thread has been loving Atomic and I remember multiple goons in the thread saying Happy Songs was their favourite... Atomic isn't actually that great, it's pretty good though. It's inherently limited as a soundtrack, but it's a drat good soundtrack.

Maybe watch the film it was scored for? Atomic: Living in Dread and Promise from the BBC4 Storyville series.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Listening to it now. :krad:

Really nice flow to it all.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Can confirm that Emma Ruth Rundle album is amazing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mogwai's Every Country's Sun is due September 1st. Stuart describes it as "maximalist", hinting at some return of vocals? Playing their first single Coolverine. Definitely some influence from Atomic and Before the Flood, but more of that rock presence. It's good.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 14, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1UVzJYfao

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Explosions in the Sky was my gateway, specifically A Poor Man's Memory from Those Who Tell, and a bit of the more rock side of Mogwai. Then in my younger years, when I was more emo, I was in to the more somber Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Sigur Ros stuff. Then I returned to Mogwai and got really deep into it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

More new Mogwai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBYaeqy9lQ

:effort:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

More new Mogwai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENhUR-yYcxw

Bit better than the last one.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Of the stuff officially released, I like 2 out of 3 of the tracks, hard to extrapolate what that'll mean for the rest of the album but I guess I'll find out on friday.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just finished listening to Every Country's Sun. I like the sounds they're playing with, and how they're playing with them, but the overall composition of the first few songs leaves a lot to be desired for some reason. Second half of the album is a fair bit more interesting than the first half. Not as much vocal work as they teased, but what vocals they did use were way better than Rave Tapes'. I'll have to listen to it more.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Second listen through of Every Country's Sun has been better so far, it's easier to enjoy when you know what to expect. There's nothing really new about this album, it seems very "safe", but still some good Mogwai. I can see this being a fantastic album for people that just want some Mogwai-rear end Mogwai. I'll echo the sentiment that I wish it was mastered in a way that made the new sounds more impactful. The way Brain Sweeties opens is insanely cool, but it just kind of fades away into a more generic sound. I wish they replaced Party in the Dark with Eternal Panther, but I can see Eternal Panther not really fitting tonally with the rest of the album.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Every Country's Sun is very much Rave Tapes 2.0 for me, but there was no equivalent to The Lord Is Out Of Control, so Rave Tapes might edge out on top for me.

SpruceZeus posted:

I kinda like how it starts out slow but just continuously ramps up. I've only listened to it a couple times so far, it makes sense that the more bombastic stuff would be what stuck out the most at first blush. I feel like the quieter stuff might well grow on me too given time. And you know, it wouldn't really be Mogwai without that quiet/loud contrast.

e: also been listening to a lot of their older stuff, like pre-Mr. Beast, that I am a bit less familiar lately and really enjoying it. Especially Rock Action. I am gonna have to go back and listen to Young Team again too if only because Mogwai Fear Satan blew me away so much that I ended up just listening to it like ten times and completely forgetting what the entire rest of the album was like.

but yeah Rock Action I think is up there with my other faves from them now it's so good

e2: okay yeah Young Team definitely owns also

You should do a deep dive on CODY.