Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

I do appreciate his dedication to trolling his fanbase. After Deerhunter and A Place To Bury Strangers, this was the next logical step. The "who the gently caress are these guys?" will be deafening.
I dunno. I think Explosions in the Sky are probably the most popular post-rock band on earth (barring maybe Sigur Ros), if only because of Friday Night Lights. Godspeed might be a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You're a post-rock fan and you've never listened to THE band that gets ripped off the most?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am so confused by all of these Milhouse avatars.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Takk... is the only Sigur Ros album that's good all the way through.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I finally got around to listening to Sunbather and I really don't get the hype. To me it sounds like they could be any post-rocky screamo band, but they let a black metal vocalist wander into the recording studio. It's decent enough, but far from the genre-melding, groundbreaking masterpiece that it's been made out to be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah same here. I've been hearing people say it's one of the best albums of the year, so I tried listening to it. The post-rock stuff is alright, pretty standard. But then when the vocals come in, it just ruins any chance of me liking it. I can appreciate some good metal screaming and listen to some bands that have those kinds of vocals regularly, but the vocals here are just downright painful and annoying to listen to. So I'm not buying the hype either.

But maybe all black metal sounds like that and you just have to be into black metal to like it?
Black metal vocals tend to sound like that, but they work much better in the context of actual black metal. With shoegaze it's just off-putting. Like I said before, it's musically most similar to a band like Envy or Pianos Become the Teeth, but the shrieking doesn't have nearly the impact that those bands' vocalists have.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Why does every post-rock band get robbed? God Is An Astronaut got robbed when they came to the US years ago and that's why they haven't toured here since, and I think 65dos got some of their equipment stolen recently too.
God is an Astronaut toured America two years ago. I saw them in Detroit. Are you sure you're thinking of the right band, or was that robbery just more recent than you thought?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new God is an Astronaut is out there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't think they're ever going to undergo a major change in sound, but it's good for what it is. Gets a little boring after a while.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
65daysofstatic and Caspian just announced a co-headlining tour with The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die. I am insanely excited. Makes up for This Town Needs Guns/And So I Watch You From Afar not coming to Cleveland.

November 5th - Cambridge, MA @ The Sinclair
November 8th - Pontiac, MI @ The Pike Room
November 9th - Chicago, IL @ Beat Kitchen
November 11th - Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
November 12th - Salt Lake City, UT @ Bar Deluxe
November 14th - San Francisco, CA @ Bottom of the Hill
November 15th - Los Angeles, CA @ Roxy Theatre
November 16th - San Diego, CA @ Soda Bar
November 17th - Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom
November 19th - Austin, TX @ Red 7
November 20th - Dallas, TX @ Club Dada
November 22nd - Nashville, TN @ The High Watt
November 23rd - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
November 24th - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
November 25th - Washington, DC @ The Rock & Roll Hotel
November 26th - Philadelphia, PA @ First Unitarian Church

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was surprised as well. I know they played a show recently raising money for either his family or a charity he was involved with or something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What's weird is that the TTNG/ASIWYFA tour was supposed to play the Pike Room on Nov. 8. Maybe it got moved to the Crofoot Ballroom or Eagle Theater.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bagpuss posted:

Nope, looks like a mini ArcTanGent!
Wow, that's dope as hell. Sunlight Ascending are a neat little local band. I'll be in Ohio though, so I'll just be seeing 65dos/Caspian/TWIABP.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Solid stuff. Really can't wait for that show now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of this, the new Pelican album is also out there and I'm listening to it for the first time now. I feel like this is the same kind of thing for them. On this album, they feel like they're returning to their roots and it's glorious. It sounds like a cross between The Fire In Our Throats and City Of Echoes so far, which is a very good thing. Doesn't sound as much like What We All Come To Need, which I also appreciate because that was their weakest album by a wide margin. Their older sound was where they'd really shine, and this sounds like they're getting back to that.

I don't want to discount the new 65daysofstatic album and say this is better than it, but really, as much as I enjoyed that album, I'm enjoying this one more.

Glad both them and 65 are back at what they do best.

e: Actually, on second thought, I still like the new 65dos album more. This is no slouch, though.
The new Pelican is really good. I know everyone hates the drummer but his tone on this album is immense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Russian Circles is out there and it's heavy as hell. The best of the three albums of theirs I've heard (Geneva and Empros are the others. I really need to get around to Enter).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zxqv8 posted:

What could you all recommend if I'm really enjoying how heavy If These Trees Could Talk and Russian Circles are? Some of it puts me in a mind of "what if Tool excised all their lyrics?" and I love it.

Red Sparowes' earlier material.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hardcore Will Never Die was really boring after the first listen so hopefully this is an improvement.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Listen to it some more, I like it a lot better now than I did when it first came out
I meant that it got boring upon further listens, not that the first listen was boring (although it wasn't that great then either).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I'm all on that show. $15 at the door, $13 in advance?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got my ticket for 65daysofstatic/Caspian/TWIABP&IANLATD. Might wind up going alone but it should be worth it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That is such a killer lineup and I am so incredibly jealous of you and everyone else who's been getting to see this tour. Bonus points because it was in a tiny venue. I've seen Caspian in two separate tiny venues (and once in a bigger venue) and that ruled. A bunch of fans all crammed together in a small space thoroughly enjoying post-rock is a great concert experience.

TWIABPAIANLATD is one of those post-rock bands I've never checked out. Maybe I should one of these days.

TWIABP are not a post-rock band. They're the best of the emo revival and a lot of the crowd was not ready for them. Great band though.

I was also at the Cleveland show and it absolutely ruled. Every Caspian song is the same but they bring so much energy it didn't matter. Loved the diversity of the 65days setlist. Best concert I've been to in 2013.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

:stare:

So I had no idea about that and checked out their album Whenever, If Ever. This seems like it'd be up a lot of post-rock fans' alleys. Pretty much all post-rock fans I know IRL are into old emo stuff and some new emo stuff like this too. Plus this seems to have enough post-rock style instrumentation to keep fans of the genre interested.

I don't know why it wouldn't go over well with fans of Caspian. This is going over pretty well with me v:shobon:v

I don't think the crowd disliked them, but they were certainly not expecting them. They do have a lot of post-rock elements but I think people were thrown by such a vocal-heavy band (especially one where the lead singer has a high, whiny voice and the others scream) opening for two instrumental acts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm actually from Michigan but I go to school down here so I occasionally make it out to Cleveland or Columbus shows (I'm about an hour south of the former and 90 minutes north of the latter).

This was my second time seeing TWIABP this year. The first was BLED Fest, which is a hardcore/emo/pop-punk/post-hardcore/whatever festival in a Michigan high school. They were playing a tiny side stage at 3 p.m. but their new album had just leaked and was already getting massive hype. The crowd was nuts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stage banter is nice if the person doing it is engaging--Bomb the Music Industry! and Opeth come to mind. Sometimes you want a break.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My only previous experience with SMZ was their debut, which I wasn't big on, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed gently caress Off Get Free. Definitely my current album of the year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you're bored by Good Morning, Captain then you're pretty hopeless imo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Post-rock thread, recommend to me! I really like Te' and stoner-y stuff like Isis (Panopticon!) and Pelican, and the first few tracks off Polinski's Labyrinths are really neat. I also remember liking Those Who Tell the Truth from Ex in the Sky, but I haven't kept up with them since probably that album. But then I've tried Plains of the Purple Buffalo and a couple 65days albums and nothing's really held my attention, so I think I'm skewing more towards the 'rock' of post-rock rather than the drony/ambient side of things. What are some heavy rockers I can add to my stable?

Seconding Russian Circles and the Red Sparowes (particularly their first album). You might also like If These Trees Could Talk.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's a bad sign, because I can't remember anything about Tunnel Blanket.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Brian Cook is great, so it will hopefully be good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're math rock bands, not post-rock bands.

But they play at things like ArcTanGent and are lumped into the same scene as stuff like And So I Watch You From Afar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It's weird, math rock and post rock are almost diametrically opposed and yet get lumped in with each other. One is delay drenched washes of sound and the other is the most staccato thing in the universe.

There are bands like ASIWYFA and 65daysofstatic who can make a good case for playing both. Post-rock and math rock are very broad terms. But they probably get lumped together just for being mostly instrumental and not very popular.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Caspian's songs are all kind of samey to me but they are sick live.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do you know how hard it is to google the Japanese band Té

I loved the albums I've been able to find but it's such a hassle trying to get them. I found a 2012 album of theirs, but is it an album or a live thing? I think I have the 2007 and 2010 ones and they were some of my favorite albums ever. The album and song titles alternate between japanese and english. Even on iTunes they seem to have the earlier ones in English than the latest one in Japanese.

On top of that every album has the same artwork with a different color in case you weren't confused enough.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/te

Doesn't look like they have any live albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

With the rise of post-rock bands on movie or TV soundtracks (see: Explosions in the Sky for Friday Night Lights, Mogwai for The Returned), I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone seen Russian Circles on their 10th anniversary tour yet? I'm catching the hometown show tonight with Wovenhand.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
First and last tracks are amazing, middle two are droning nonsense. It's a Godspeed record alright.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bagpuss posted:

Yes, go and see them. I'm using up one of my few nights out a year to see them Thursday. Their new album is up on soundcloud, Animal Ghosts is the stand out for for at the moment although I can see people being disappointed with it as it's another step away from their old sound even though there's lots of nice little call backs to even their earliest stuff.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea they even had a new album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

One of these things is not like the other....

Also I got that new ASIWYFA. Gonna listen to it sometime today.

Greil Marcus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
OTOH even run-of-the-mill post-rock is usually way better live in my experience so you may have just moved away from it.