Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'll try to make it clear as to what I want to do here. I want to get a result set of all the stores in our system, with their total sales for each month for 2008. This is what I have so far

code:
SELECT DISTINCT STORE_NUMBER,
                (SELECT SUM(INVOICE.INVOICE_TOTAL_AMOUNT)  AS EXPR1
                 FROM   INVOICE
                        INNER JOIN SITE
                          ON INVOICE.SITEID = SITE.SITEID
                 WHERE  (MONTH(INVOICE.INVOICE_DATE) = 1)
                        AND (YEAR(INVOICE.INVOICE_DATE) = 2008)) AS JANUARY08,
                (SELECT SUM(INVOICE_1.INVOICE_TOTAL_AMOUNT)  AS EXPR2
                 FROM   INVOICE AS INVOICE_1
                        INNER JOIN SITE AS SITE_2
                          ON INVOICE_1.SITEID = SITE_2.SITEID
                 WHERE  (MONTH(INVOICE_1.INVOICE_DATE) = 2)
                        AND (YEAR(INVOICE_1.INVOICE_DATE) = 2008)) AS FEBRUARY2008
FROM   SITE AS SITE_1
But instead of this:

code:
Store     January     February
00001      125.36      175.36
00002      563.23      600.25
I am getting this

code:
Store     January     February
00001      688.59      775.61
00002      688.59      775.61
etc.
So what I am getting is the total for January for all stores being displayed. Is there a way to have the total in the subquery be only for the store in the row being displayed? I suppose I could have a view for each month, but that seems like a kind of half-assed way to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MoNsTeR posted:

The immediate problem is that the SITE table in your subqueries is a different copy of the table than the one in your outer query. Refer to SITE_1 instead. But, that still might not work properly... I don't understand your data model from what you've shown. Why the DISTINCT? What's the relationship between a store and a site, and why do invoices have a site id but not a store number?

edit:
Maybe this will help... If you wanted to select sites, and each site's sales, you could do:
code:
select s.site_id
     , sum(case when i.invoice_date >= '01-JAN-2008' 
                 and i.invoice_date < '01-FEB-2008'
                then i.invoice_total_amount
                else 0
                 end) as JANUARY_08
     , sum(case when i.invoice_date >= '01-FEB-2008' 
                 and i.invoice_date < '01-MAR-2008'
                then i.invoice_total_amount
                else 0
                 end) as FEBRUARY_08
  from site s
     , invoice i
 where s.siteid = i1.siteid
 group by s.siteid
or...
code:
select s.site_id
     , (select sum(i.invoice_total_amount)
          from invoice i
         where i.siteid = s.siteid
           and i.invoice_date >= '01-JAN-2008'
           and i.invoice_date <  '01-FEB-2008') as JANUARY_08
     , (select sum(i.invoice_total_amount)
          from invoice i
         where i.siteid = s.siteid
           and i.invoice_date >= '01-FEB-2008'
           and i.invoice_date <  '01-MAR-2008') as FEBRUARY_08
  from site s
And then you can adjust that as needed for however it is that sites and stores relate.

I'll give this a try in the morning, but to answer your questions:

The DISTINCT probably isn't necessary, probably typed it in without thinking.

There are 2 tables of interest, SITE and INVOICE. The SITE table holds the store information, ie. Store Number, Address, State, Zip, etc. The INVOICE table joins on the SiteID attaching that invoice to that store/site. Sorry about the confusion, I neither created nor named the SITE table.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Victor posted:

golgo13sf, what RDBMS are you using?

MSSQL.

Also, that solution above worked aces. Thanks.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Victor posted:

If you have SQL2005, this will run faster and be much easier to maintain:
code:
select  *
from (
    select  s.store_number,
            month = month(i.invoice_date),
            total = sum(i.invoice_total_amount)
    from    invoice i
    inner join site s on s.siteid = i.siteid
    where   i.invoice_date >= '1/1/08' and i.invoice_date <= '1/1/09'
    group by s.store_number, month(i.invoice_date)
) by_month
pivot (sum(total) for month in ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9], [10], [11], [12])) p

Son of a bitch, this kicks rear end.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I am in the process of cleaning up our website code and moving all the queries from the pages into stored procedures and I'm running into a performance issue for the query on our invoice lookup page. If I run a query like so:

code:
SELECT <Field list> 
FROM Table
WHERE Table.Invoice_Rule_95 = '12345'
It runs in 0 seconds, but if I have the following in a stored procedure:

code:
DECLARE @filtertype varchar(10);
DECLARE @filtervalue varchar(20);
SET @filtertype = 'purchaseorder';
SET @filtervalue = '12345';

SELECT <Field List>
FROM Table
WHERE
     CASE
        WHEN @filtertype = 'purchaseorder' THEN 
            CASE WHEN Table.Invoice_Rule_95 = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
        WHEN @filtertype = 'invoicenumber' THEN 
            CASE WHEN Table.Invoice_Number = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
     END = 1

The query then takes 10+ seconds. I don't know if there is another way to do a selective where clause for the page, since the user can pick several different criteria to query against. Any ideas how the query optimizer handles those CASE statements and how I can get the performance up? The fields are indexed if that is any help.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

XerØ posted:

Theoretically, separate procs might be a cleaner solution, but I'd like to see the database design underneath this proc just to see why you need to query like this.

The most flexible solution would probably be Dynamic SQL. It'll perform better than conditional where clauses. Just be sure to use sp_executesql to execute your query and not EXEC. I hate Dynamic SQL as much as any DBA, but sometimes you have to grin and bear it.

Here is a screen shot of the invoice search area on our site

So there are several fields one could use to find an invoice, like say this pseudocode

code:
SELECT all invoices 
WHERE the invoice date is in January with the a driver's name of "Mike" and the invoice is unpaid
ORDER BY the invoice date in descending order.
I mean, the code works, it just runs like rear end, it's taking 50-70 seconds to run.

Here is the full stored procedure code (sanitized), sorry if it breaks tables
code:
ALTER PROCEDURE PROCEDURE_NAME 
	-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
	@datesearchtype VARCHAR(10),
	@startdate DATETIME = NULL,
	@enddate DATETIME = NULL,
	@invoicepaidtype VARCHAR(10),
	@filtertype VARCHAR(20),
	@filtervalue VARCHAR(100),
	@sortfield VARCHAR(50),
	@dir VARCHAR(4)

AS
BEGIN
	-- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
	-- interfering with SELECT statements.
	SET NOCOUNT ON;

/*GET THE INVOICES*/
    SELECT i.[InvoiceID], i.[Invoice_Number], i.[Invoice_Date], s.[Store_Number], d.[Driver_Name],
		v.[Vehicle_Make_Year], v.[Vehicle_Make], v.[Vehicle_Model],
		l.[License_Tag_State], l.[License_Tag_Number], i.[Invoice_Total_Amount],
		(dbo.i.Invoice_Total_Amount - dbo.i.Prepaid_Total_Amount +
		 dbo.i.Invoice_TotalDiscounts + dbo.i.Invoice_TotalAdjustments - 
		 dbo.i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived) AS [Invoice_Balance],
		(i.[Invoice_TotalDiscounts] + i.[Invoice_TotalAdjustments]) AS Invoice_Discount,
		 i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived, i.[Invoice_Rule_90], i.[Invoice_Rule_97], i.[Invoice_Rule_95]
    FROM dbo.i INNER JOIN
		dbo.s ON dbo.i.SiteID = dbo.s.SiteID INNER JOIN
		dbo.d ON dbo.i.FleetID = dbo.f.FleetID INNER JOIN
		dbo.l ON dbo.i.LicenseID = dbo.l.LicenseID INNER JOIN
		dbo.v ON dbo.i.VehicleID = dbo.v.VehicleID INNER JOIN
		dbo.d ON dbo.i.DriverID = dbo.d.DriverID LEFT OUTER JOIN
		fp ON i.[InvoiceID] = fp.[InvoiceID] LEFT OUTER JOIN
		pp ON i.[InvoiceID] = pp.[InvoiceID] LEFT OUTER JOIN
		dp ON i.[InvoiceID] = dp.[InvoiceID] LEFT OUTER JOIN	
		ci ON i.[InvoiceID] = ci.[InvoiceID]
    WHERE 
		CASE --FILTER WHERE CLAUSE
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[FleetID] = @filtervalue  THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetcode' THEN CASE WHEN f.[Fleet_Code] LIKE '%' + @filtervalue + '%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetname' THEN CASE WHEN f.[Fleet_CompanyName] LIKE '%' + @filtervalue + '%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'disputedreference' THEN CASE WHEN dp.[DisputedPendingID] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetpaymentnum' THEN CASE WHEN fp.[FleetPaymentID] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'invoicenumber' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Number] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'storenumber' THEN CASE WHEN s.[Store_Number] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'driver' THEN CASE WHEN d.[Driver_Name] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'vehiclemake' THEN CASE WHEN v.[Vehicle_Make] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'vehiclemodel' THEN CASE WHEN v.[Vehicle_Model] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'license' THEN CASE WHEN l.[License_Tag_Number] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'ponum' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Rule_95] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'authnum' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Rule_97] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'servicecardnum' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Rule_90] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			ELSE 1
		END = 1
		AND 
		CASE /*INVOICE DATE TYPE WHERE CLAUSE*/
			WHEN @datesearchtype = 'service' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Date] >= @startdate AND i.[Invoice_Date] <= @enddate THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @datesearchtype = 'paid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Paidon] >= @startdate AND i.[Invoice_Paidon] <= @enddate THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			ELSE 1
		END = 1 
		AND
		CASE --PAID/UNPAID/ALL INVOICE WHERE CLAUSE
			WHEN @invoicepaidtype = 'paid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Paidon] IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @invoicepaidtype = 'unpaid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Paidon] IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			ELSE 1
		END = 1 
	GROUP BY i.[InvoiceID], i.[Invoice_Number], i.[Invoice_Date], s.[Store_Number], d.[Driver_Name],
		v.[Vehicle_Make_Year], v.[Vehicle_Make], v.[Vehicle_Model],
		l.[License_Tag_State], l.[License_Tag_Number], i.[Invoice_Total_Amount],
		(dbo.i.Invoice_Total_Amount - dbo.i.Prepaid_Total_Amount +
		 dbo.i.Invoice_TotalDiscounts + dbo.i.Invoice_TotalAdjustments -
		  dbo.i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived),
		(i.[Invoice_TotalDiscounts] + i.[Invoice_TotalAdjustments]), i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived,
		i.[Invoice_Rule_90], i.[Invoice_Rule_97], i.[Invoice_Rule_95]
	ORDER BY 
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Number' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN i.[Invoice_Number] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Number' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN i.[Invoice_Number] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Date' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN i.[Invoice_Date] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Date' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN i.[Invoice_Date] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Store_Number' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN s.[Store_Number] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Store_Number' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN s.[Store_Number] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Driver_Name' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN d.[Driver_Name] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Driver_Name' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN d.[Driver_Name] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Make' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Make] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Make' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Make] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Model' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Model] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Model' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Model] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'License_Tag_Number' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN l.[License_Tag_Number] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'License_Tag_Number' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN l.[License_Tag_Number] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = '' THEN i.[Invoice_Date] END ASC;

END

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

camels posted:

stuff...

The query execution plan shows a clustered index seek on the [i] table of 42%, and 2 clustered index scans of 9% and 12%, which is what I'm sure is the killer. Looks like I'm going to have to go and make sure the indexes are all set up properly, and if that doesn't work, try rewriting with 'ifs' instead of 'case' statements.

On that note, the jackass that did the majority of the work on creating this db went loving nuts setting up indexes, like the same column is defined multiple times on the index screen, the PK is indexed more than once, etc. Is that a performance hit, or is SQL smart enough to only index the column once even though it is defined multiple times?

If anyone else has any solutions, I'm all ears.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Victor posted:

I haven't fully vetted this, but: http://www.sommarskog.se/dyn-search-2005.html

This is very interesting and I think it is what I am going to end up doing, too bad we don't have SQL 2008, as it looks like it would be able to optimize my original query.

edit:

I rewrote the query using the method in the link, and it runs obscenely fast.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 13, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Edit: Actually found the answer to my question, this link has a nice writeup on how to handle external procedures in transactions.

Quick question about transactions and stored procedures, say I have a transaction like so (SQL 2005):

code:

BEGIN TRY
     BEGIN TRANSACTION
          /*CALL EXTERNAL STORED PROCEDURE*/
          EXEC EXTERN_PROC @var1, @var2;

COMMIT TRANSACTION

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
     /* LOG ERROR, ETC. */
     RAISERROR(@errmsg, @errsev, 1);

END CATCH

Now, in the stored procedure EXTERN_PROC(), do any errors "bubble up" to the calling stored procedure and rollback the transaction, or do I have to implement a TRY/CATCH block in EXTERN_PROC() and have a RAISERROR() in EXTERN_PROC()?

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Victor posted:

I'm actually not entirely sure. I've always had the feeling that the error handling/transaction rollback semantics of TSQL were ugly and different depending on who raised the error (whether it was the server or user code). Try/Catch helps some, but I honestly do not know if the transaction will be rolled back if your CATCH block is hit. I advise you to test this stuff. That's how I figure out a lot of things...

If I'm understanding the info in the link I posted, you have to put a RAISERROR() in the CATCH for the calling procedure to know that an error occurred.

Basically (again from what I got from the article, haven't fully tested it yet) your external procedure might be called by itself instead of from another procedure, and conceivably might need to be transactional as well. So you have the external procedure check to see if @@TRANCOUNT > 0, if it is, then the external procedure has no business managing the transaction, just raise an error and let the calling procedure manage the transaction. If @@TRANCOUNT = 0, then start a transaction, since the external procedure was called by itself.

Again, haven't tested the code yet.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm just getting into using the CLR to create TSQL procedures and I'm running into a problem with error handling. What I'm doing is creating a TSQL stored procedure that will call a CLR procedure (gets a response from a webpage). The TSQL stored proc will be running in a transactional space in a TRY/CATCH block and will need to catch any errors generated in the CLR proc and rollback the transaction. The problem is when I enlose the call to the CLR proc in a TRY/CATCH I get the following error:

"Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 0
A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded."

Here is my TSQL code:

code:
SET NOCOUNT ON;

BEGIN TRY
	EXEC test;
END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
	SELECT @@ERROR;
END CATCH
Here is a sample CLR proc that I wrote to test out the error handling:

code:
Partial Public Class StoredProcedures
    <Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlProcedure()> _
    Public Shared Sub  test ()
        Using conn As New SqlConnection("context connection=true")

Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("Select 1/0", conn)
            cmd.CommandTimeout = 6000
            cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text

conn.Open()

SqlContext.Pipe.ExecuteAndSend(cmd)

End Using

End Sub
End Class
Here is what I've tried:
Enclosing the offending CLR code in a TRY/CATCH block.

Having no TRY/CATCH in the CLR code (see example)

Built the CLR proc against both the 2.0 and 3.5 NET framework.

I am testing this on a SQL 2008 Dev edition install I have on my computer (No service packs, currently downloading SP2 to see if it helps)

Any ideas?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Well, I've kind of fixed my issue. If the error is in the query (Select 1/0) then it blows up. If the issue is .NET code (Convert.toInt32("abc")) then it handles the error ok.

Really wish there was a way to catch the query error though.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Ugh, I don't know why I have such an absurdly hard time wrapping my head around PIVOT/UNPIVOT, but before I bang my head bloody against my desk anymore, I figured I'd ask for help.

I have a table with a customer ID and a bunch of columns with rules, so it looks like this:

code:
CustomerID    [101]   [102]   [103]
--------------------------------------
123             1       0       0
Where [101], [102], etc correspond to another table with the description for each code:

code:
[CategoryID]    [CatCode]    [CatDescription]
--------------------------------------------------
1                  101           Some Description

Now I need some way of joining these tables so I get a row for each category and the value with the description. I know how to get the column names from the first table, and I managed to figure out how to unpivot the first table, but it only has the CustomerID and bit value so I can't join against the second table on [CatCode].

Now, I think the solution is to somehow unpivot the first table with the CatCode in 1 column and the bit value in another, but I'm not seeing a way to do it. This is part of a development project and it's in the beginning stages so I can re-do the tables if necessary, I just figured it'd be better this way instead of a row for each value.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Aredna posted:

You really should change the first table so that you can join without worrying about the pivot/unpivot. There are many reasons, but one big one is that you don't want values as part of your column headers in case that changes.

I'd probably change the first table to be something like:

code:
CustomerID    CatCode   Value
--------------------------------------
123             101       1
123             102       0
123             103       0

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing this, I was just hoping to avoid it. The other way just seemed more efficient to me for some reason.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
can someone help me out with this pivot, I'm a loving moron when it comes to this

I want to take these results:

code:
name	col	        value
---------------------------------------
guid	name	guid
guid	value	9e1cb05b-a7ba-4283-abb4-29d0212ee303
label	name	label
label	value	Invoice issues
email	name	email
email	value	abc<at>abc.com
format	name	format
format	value	html
and pivot them into this:

code:
guid       label       email      format
------------------------------------------------------
9e1...     Invoi....   abc@...  html

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't see how that's going to work, do you have another column that groups all the rows together? if not, how am i supposed to know that the label 'Invoice issues' goes along with the guid 9e1cb05b-a7ba-4283-abb4-29d0212ee303? but if you do have another column to group them, you can use crosstab or jsonb tricks in postgres, or pivot in sql server, or if you're using oracle or mysql then you get to gently caress yourself arseways

going by this SO post it's doable, I just can't get it to work

I should also clarify that the source data in my example above is the unpivoted data like in the link, I got that far at least.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

meanieface posted:

This request made me feel like god is dead just in time for Yule. Bravo on that timing.

Assuming that you are doing this as part of another, larger, process and you only want *one* row at the end --

SELECT email, [format], [guid], label
FROM
(SELECT r.*
FROM #temptbl r
WHERE col = 'value'
) r
pivot(MAX([value]) FOR r.name IN ([email],[format],[guid],[label])) p

thanks, I'll give this a shot after the holidays.

Just a weird requirement, but sometimes you gotta do dirty things and cash that check.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

meanieface posted:

This request made me feel like god is dead just in time for Yule. Bravo on that timing.

Assuming that you are doing this as part of another, larger, process and you only want *one* row at the end --

SELECT email, [format], [guid], label
FROM
(SELECT r.*
FROM #temptbl r
WHERE col = 'value'
) r
pivot(MAX([value]) FOR r.name IN ([email],[format],[guid],[label])) p

This worked by the way, so thanks!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
This is all TSQL

Currently when we make notes on customer accounts the notes are sequential. I'd like to make it so users can respond to a particular note, and respond to that note, etc. I think what I'm looking for is a CTE and recursion to get these all in the right order when queried, but I'm not sure, or if I need another table to handle this.

For this example my table looks something like this for simplicities sake:

code:
      NoteId | Note | RespondingToNoteId
So if someone were to respond to NoteId 1, the value 1 would be in RespondingToNoteId

In the end, I'd like my output to look something like this

code:
     Note 1
     |   |---Response to Note 1
     |   |    |---Response to first response
     |   |         |---Response to second response
     |   |---Second response to Note 1
     |   |---Third response to Note 1
     Note 2
If someone could point me in the right direction, or let me know if what I want is possible many thanks.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm in a car hundreds of miles from home and a pc.
I banged out a recursive CTE that sorta worked but used a string of delimited noteids to help sort the data that likely had problems when sorting lexigraphically vs. numerically so I scrapped it and instead found this:
HIERARCHYID data type

I bet this will get you very far along in solving your problem.

drat, that looks slick as hell, thanks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Cross posting from AWS thread:

I have a client that wants to migrate two MSSQL database servers with 200+ db objects between them to AWS Cloud. Now, up until this point we've been fine using Data Migration Service to move the table data from their on-prem servers into AWS. The problem is that DMS doesn't migrate indexes, users, privileges, stored procedures, and other database changes not directly related to table data. So now we have generate scripts by hand for these 200+, at minimum, objects. What I'm asking is, is there some hacky way to automate this migration or are we just stuck having to do it all by hand over and over again?

a quick Google search uncovered this that might be of help

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4606/generate-tsql-scripts-for-all-sql-server-databases-and-all-objects-using-powershell/

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

I'd say you'd be right to be concerned.

Maybe? The alternatives don't seem to have gotten much better since last I checked.

tyool 2019 and still no "for each row in query" loop method in TSQL, smdh.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

:hai:

I've only had to do a few loops in SQL and in those cases, I would always generate a temp table with the data to process and then run the cursor on the pre-gathered data. Typically for sproc executions per row.

Yeah, that's my usual method, but it's still poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

yeah, when it got to the part where they were rolling their own PKs I had to make sure I wasn't reading the Onion

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

it's on this online service snowflake. it's its own thing. https://www.snowflake.com/

its sql language is largely similar to t-sql or mysql, but you're VERY limited beyond basic dml and basic ddl. like i can't create functions or sprocs or anything like that.

man that product name is loving on the nose

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Probably a better way to do it, but quick and dirty and works

code:
  Select users.*
        , startTbl.coins `start coins`
        , endTbl.coins `end coins`
        , startTbl.created_on `start date`
        , endTbl.created_on `end date`
        , endTbl.coins - startTbl.coins `change`
    from users
      inner join
         (SELECT *
         from coin_counts
         where coin_counts.created_on <= '2020-01-01'
         order by created_on desc
         limit 1) endTbl on users.id = endTbl.user_id
      inner join
         (SELECT *
         from coin_counts
         where coin_counts.created_on >= '2019-04-01'
         order by created_on asc
         limit 1) startTbl on users.id = startTbl.user_id

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

prom candy posted:

Actually, here's maybe a really dumb question that's only tangentially related. I'm doing this to build a new report for our system that has to select and filter data from lots and lots of tables, some containing millions of rows. At a certain point, is it ever a good idea to build out cached versions of this data in either an SQL table built specifically for this report, or even a separate db like Mongo or DynamoDB or something? Basically imagine this schema I posted except there's several other tables similar to "coin_counts" and also multiple other join tables between "users" and "coin_counts."

Like am I still in the realm of things that SQL was built to handle well or would it be smarter to offload some of this to something else entirely? It feels silly to duplicate the data but at the same time some of the pathways you have to take through the DB to get the right data are pretty daunting, especially because the end user is also supposed to be able to filter this report. i.e. coin_counts don't actually belong directly to users, they belong to purses, and purses are joined in a users_purses table because multiple users can share multiple purses. And the end users of the report want to see totals, but also see those totals broken down by the coin_counts in the users' Gucci purse vs. their Chanel purse, or opt to filter to only get totals from Gucci purses in the first place.

Also just to be clear this isn't some crypto app or dealing with actual money in any way I'm just trying to come up with analogy that works. And maybe the real answer here is hire a DBA.

I'm not a DBA by education, just by being the guy that got hired and learned (and still learning) a bunch of poo poo along the way.

When I got hired most of our reporting was dogshit slow, and the solutions getting suggested were similar, faster hardware, dedicated hardware for reporting, etc. Basically throw money at the problem. Instead I went through all the problem report queries with the query analyzer, got everything indexed properly, rewrote most of the queries to make them more performant, and now reports that used to take 10 minutes to run take under 10 seconds.

So if you gotta start somewhere, I'd start with the query analyzer if things aren't fast.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jethro posted:

I'm pretty sure (though it's been a few years since I've done anything outside of Oracle), that you can't do a for each trigger in MS SQL. Unless you did something like create a cursor in the trig...Nope, can't finish that thought.

That is exactly what you have to do.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

redleader posted:

they are a pain in the rear end though

Used sanely they are fine and can save you from yourself.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Speaking of which, if you have MSSQL, system-versioned temporal tables are great and I wish I had them in Postgres. You can implement something similar with triggers, but you can't get the query syntax and that's half the fun.

That's slick as gently caress.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Maybe I'll just post some of the classic ASP code and dynamically created SQL queries I inherited when I took on this job a gazillion years ago and drive you all into an alcohol induced coma.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ruggan posted:

That is a loving sexy query

that query fucks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

At first glance this looks like a job for a CTE and recursion

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm a doofus who just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why a query was returning 65,535 rows before figuring out it was a coincidence.

Don't be like me.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Not sure if this is a SQL solution or something else so asking for opinions.

Say you have 90k+ text files (~3gb), with several different file formats

What would be the best way to store and search them if you couldn't use a simple file search? (I wrote a file search app on steroids to do that and it works aces, but going forward this won't be an option)

I'm considering the following:

• load each file into MSSQL using a FULLTEXT index (either the whole file per record or parse each row into its own record). Pro: I know how to do this already
  • Use ElasticSearch or Solr (or something similar). Con: I know gently caress all about these and would have to figure it out

Any opinions? Pros/Cons?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Can anybody suggest a solution for a query running slowly in a stored procedure but fast in a query window? It takes ~7 seconds in a query window and 1-2 minutes in a stored procedure.

I've tried the following:

• parameter sniffing: created local variables and assigned the two date values passed in to them, no change in performance
  • OPTION (RECOMPILE) - no change in performance
  • OPTION (OPTIMIZE FOR (@startDate UNKNOWN, @endDate UNKNOWN)) - no change in performance
  • Made sure SET ANSI_NULLS is set to ON

Those are the major things I know to check for and at least one of them has solved the problem in the past, but not this time.

MSSQL 2014 is the version I'm using.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Running the actual execution plan for both shows this, which I'm sure is the problem, but I'm not sure how to fix it:

In the query window execution plan, there is an index seek, but in the stored procedure execution plan it becomes an index scan

edit: I found the (FORCESEEK) hint and it works as it should now.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2020

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

To be honest, access has enough of a learning curve that I'm not sure how much better off you'd be with access over just installing a database like mysql or postgres and using those front end tools like phpmyadmin or pgadmin. I wouldn't say the UIs for pgadmin/phpmyadmin are very good, but access is opaque and using access doesn't translate to any other program.

Nonsense, if they use Access then the next person to deal with it gets to curse their name for all eternity

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

I have a table recording IPs and time (among some other things) when a page is hit.

I'd like to be able to run some queries against both the total hits and the unique hits. I had assumed grouping by IPs would do the trick but MySQL doesn't like that anymore and I get an error:
code:
Expression #1 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column
I know I can turn full_group_by off, but I figured it's there for a reason and I'm better off trying to write a better query.

I've added a 'unique' boolean column to the table which sets to true each time a new IP is entered. It works fine for now but it feels like this should be a fairly simple query but I'm just drawing a blank on it.

I suppose what I want is to be able to just select a row if it's the first time that IP shows up.

I’m not a MySQL expert by any means but I think

code:
set session sql_mode='';

is what you’re looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
e: nevermind, figured it out

Is there a way to write a pivot table to pivot on a common value in a column in TSQL? For example, if I have this:

code:

col1         |     col 2
----------------------------
0	     |    value1
0            |    value2
1	     |    value1
1            |    value2

And I want to turn it into this based on the value in col1:

code:
col1      |    col2       |     col 3
------------------------------------------------
0         |      value1   |      value2