Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
15 year old me was always so heartbroken when I was never able to go to a MCR show and over the following 15 years I made my peace with it. Now they're having what appears to be one reunion show on the opposite end of the country. I can't afford that.

This just rips open old wounds, man. California gets fuckin' everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I want to hear some new music too. I wonder if they're recording too? God please. I know I was digging some of the solo tracks Gerard had been putting out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

Thursday is gonna be opening for MCR at the LA reunion show. 2019 is loving nuts.

I hate everything. That's two bands I would have died to see 15 years ago and it's just impossibly far away.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you feel ashamed about talking about what you like? Gatekeeping is dumb.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
potentially unpopular opinion: the I Brought You My Bullets album also slaps but it feels pretty forgotten overall

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not about to judge fans who haven't listened to it, but I keep getting Loudwire articles in my Google Now headlines about MCR stuff and they have a worst-to-best list of all MCR songs and Cubicles was second to last and just... ????

Sure, it's a bit unpolished, but it's one of my favorite tracks on the album with one of my favorite MCR lines ever in it. I just can't agree with that list at all.

Our Lady of Sorrows has always been pretty sick too

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
holy shiiiiiiit

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
While I don't listen to it as much anymore, I'd easily say Fevers and Mirrors was a top 5 album of mine back in high school.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess I'll be seeing MCR in Detroit in September. Holy loving expensive tickets though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I was looking up tickets for Atlanta and it's $135 but the tickets say its for 2-day admission. Thats actually a pretty good deal if there are other bands playing, its like a little mini Emo-Festival.

That's a ridiculously good deal, go for it. I almost considered going for the Chicago show (because gently caress Indiana I guess), but the only tickets are 3-day Riot Fest tickets (starting at around $180) and I'd be assuming that's outdoors and for me, in the summer, is a big no thanks. Would be cool, but I'll take the indoor venue personally.

My friend and I paid $222 each all told for seats (175), parking, and ticketmaster gouging fees. We're in the back of the arena in the bleachers.

The Detroit show more or less sold out in less than an hour. Resale seats are already popping up.

Some of the resale seats in our own section are $500+. Holy loving poo poo. I should quit my job and just be a scalper.

poemdexter posted:

I just got through the queue for the Dallas show. 150+ for nosebleed as far away from stage as possible. Hard pass for me.

I just refreshed and there's only one "standard" seat left for $150+ in the nosebleeds.

All of the seats that were once way cheaper are now resale seats for almost 5 times the price, or seats that Ticketmaster turned into "Platinum" seats for 5 times the price. This should be loving criminal lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

poemdexter posted:

Riot Fest owns and you should go (if the lineup is good).

Too late! I'm already out $444 until my friend's google pay to me for his ticket processes. Rent's tomorrow too! :smith: (it should be in my account by tomorrow so it's fine really but dang)

quote:

I'm way more excited for the Silverstein anniversary tour at my favorite small venue.

Another band I'd love to see live. I actually didn't know they were still doing stuff since I haven't followed them since after... Arrivals and Departures? but I still really loved them in high school.

quote:

What are the chances they are pulling a MCR reunion tour with no new albums? Or maybe pulling a Dashboard Confessional and pivoting to "yet another bearded indie band"?

As you can tell I have 0 trust in reunion tours. Except for Thursday's 20 year anniversary which I bought both nights and it was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. Being in the pit for Jet Black New Year made me feel like I was in high school again (I'm old as poo poo).

It's hard to say. The Smashing Pumpkins' reunion tour in 2018 was a blast and tied with the release of a new album, with more on the way this year.

I'll be sad if there's no new MCR music coming from this because holy poo poo guys, please see how much the world has missed you, your shows are selling out in literally an hour-- but I feel like something new will come.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't mind another Gerard Way solo album. I genuinely have liked his solo work.

and not sure why you quoted the Bright Eyes tweet but I'd love to see that as well.

Being an adult and finally being able to enjoy the things kid!me never could has a bittersweet charm to it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Deathlove posted:

FWIW Riot Fest Chicago is in September and the weather is usually 60s/70s. Almost definitely rainy, though, or immediately after a rain storm. Or it could be 80s and 90s! Hellworld and all.

I haven't lived in Indiana my whole life to not know how hellish midwestern summers can be. I ain't gonna enjoy the show as much if it's stupid hot out.

camoseven posted:

Bright Eyes already announced a reunion tour and new album.

I didn't realize MCR was at Riot Fest, that's a tempting trip. It's bogus that they aren't playing anywhere on the east coast between Philly and Atlanta.

They're headlining it, yeah. When I saw the announcement I was wondering why ticketmaster didn't have anything for the Chicago show, and that's where I saw they'd be at Riot Fest.

Of course, last I looked I didn't see that any one else had been announced to be there.

And I just checked out Bright Eyes shows. Of course they are all in California or New York. Love Bright Eyes, but not enough to drive 10 hours or pay to fly all the way out there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

camoseven posted:

I grew up in Indy and we went to the NHRA nationals every year over Labor Day weekend, and I have never been hotter in my life. So I feel ya on not wanting to be outside, BUT it's MCR!! Come on!!

I'm still seeing MCR!

....just in detroit :unsmith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

Tried for philly, hoping for cheap seats.

No luck. By the time I got through an hour later, everything was at least 150 a pop and I cant justify that.

:smith: I really wanted to see them at least once.

Those ARE cheap seats at this point tbh. Unfortunately. I love MCR to pieces but man seating at these shows are restrictively expensive. I spent more for my bleacher seats in the back (not balcony) in this show than I did to get a stageside bleacher seat for the Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour.

The same area for this MCR show was over $600 before resale, and was in the $900s last I looked.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Scalpers gonna scalp. If they get that money I'll eat my nonexistent hat.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I loved MCR when I was 14 and still love them now, a week away from 30. Enjoyment of music is subjective as all hell and I never really understood why people get so fussy about what other people enjoy. Gatekeeping and letting the "scene" influence your opinions on music is just weird and I'm happy I broke myself of it a long time ago, because it has resulted in me drastically expanding my horizons on music and different music genres.

I don't even just ironically or nostalgically enjoy them, I still actively think albums like Three Cheers and Black Parade are genuinely good. (I mean, obviously there's some nostalgia. But you know what I mean.) On the other hand, I was one of those "kids into them at the time", too. So :shrug:

And if you don't like them, that's cool too. Tastes be like that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/mcrofficial/status/1223395497387360257?s=21

They have been super good about adding tour dates to super instant sold out shows so cross your fingers, but yeah seeing them at a festival with 20 other bands is gonna be the best way to get good value.

I'm gonna be pissed if they add an Indiana show after I rushed to get myself a spot in Detroit because bands so rarely ever come here, always opting for Michigan and Illinois instead :|

quote:

People really loved the Scene bands that grew up or changed with their music (MCR, Brand New :smith:) and being basically the same age as the band each new album reflected pretty evenly on the age I was when it dropped (Danger Days Bust Rodd was a bad, bad Bust)

BigRed0427 posted:

Danger Days wasnt bad. It was just a massive departure from the other three albums that I dont think everyone knew what to make of it.

Sci-fi concept albums rarely work though.

Danger Days was when I fell off the MCR train for a while. It didn't and still does not have the same charm to it that Three Cheers or Black Parade had to it-- or even Bullets for that matter imo.

I gave it another chance last year and my opinion has solidified on "it's not bad but it feels hollow". It just feels stuff and doesn't have any of the emotional punch that the prior two albums had. Like it's cool, I get that they love comics and nerdy poo poo and Danger Days is a super nerdy album and I appreciate that, but MCR's appeal to me has always been the raw energy of the band tied with Gerard just barfing every ounce of his heart into the lyrics and I think that's just kind of where Danger Days falls flat for me.

I still like Gerard's solo work far more than Danger Days-era MCR and it would be so cool to hear some of that live sometime too.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 1, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Danger Days reminds me too much of the bad Fallout video games and I’m honestly completely burned out on Post-Apocalypse stuff since that is increasingly becoming reality. I’m not gonna vibe with a concept album if the concept is bad.

“Bonnie & Clyde but Bonnie betrays Clyde so Clyde becomes Spawn and kills mobsters” is cool

“I had a lovely meaningless life and died and discovered my real value and strengths as a dead person” is a cool concept.

Those albums still slap because those themes resonate more than DD.

Also this, yeah. Three Cheers and Black Parade just had much stronger concepts.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Early Taking Back Sunday was emo as gently caress. They definitely belong on that list.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
16 year old me liked Decemberunderground. :colbert:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Anthony Green did a 3-hour livestream where he just played like 50 circa survive songs and I think even a few Saosin tracks, if anyone hears of any other similar cool quarantine things like that please post them.

Holy poo poo. I wanna hear.

For what it's worth I know Ben Gibbard of Death Cab/Postal Service has been doing some quarantine music streams as well but that's less interesting. You can find them on YouTube

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not trying to poop on anyone’s party but I would advise against buying tickets to anything for at least another month. We have no idea if the curve has been sufficiently flattened and while I’m not privy to your financial situation, I know I was super bummed on not jumping on MCR tix when I had the chance and now we’re facing a global recession and ticket money is safe in my savings account now.

But I also understand needing something to look forward to.

Yeah, as someone with MCR tix in September I've been suddenly super loving worried that it's either gonna get cancelled or postponed to an incompatible time for me.

That's something I've been wanting to do for 15 years, man. :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Wow I really should have chosen to go to Riot Fest instead of the MCR show in Detroit.

I could have been able to see MCR, Smashing Pumpkins (another favorite of mine), and Thursday all in one event.

gently caress.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

excellent bird guy posted:

This MAY not be the right spot but, it's say EMO right there in the title so...
I'm listening to the first Dashboard Confessional albums over and over while I stay up all night drinking coffee and being not sad and writing computer codes. Is there anything else with that atmosphere to be recommended?
I remember listening to Circa Survive - Juturna a lot way back in my emo days. I know it had a few acoustic tracks. What are the acoustic emo bangers?

Juturna's such a good album. Acoustic is not really something I associate Circa Survive with though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I love this because my best friend from college came to visit over the weekend, introduced me to Pup-- I'd never heard them before-- and also bought Paper Mario being completely unaware that there's a reference in there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if it fits here or not but just posting to say the new Bright Eyes album Down In The Weeds, Where The World Once Was is real good and Conor's an enchanting lyricist.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not blown away by the new MCR track. Love the band to pieces, but the track doesn't really go anywhere and the mix sounds really muddy.

Really hoping that if this is pre-empting a new album, it's at least polished up.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That was something, but I have something better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyo9SwMXb50

Bullets deserves more love honestly. It's not Three Cheers or Black Parade, but it's still really good imo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
God drat it, right after I start getting really into DGD.

I REALLY wish artists I like can stop ending up being sexual abusers.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The song's no banger but holy poo poo I'm glad to see them back. I love Armor for Sleep.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

I'm not blown away by the new MCR track. Love the band to pieces, but the track doesn't really go anywhere and the mix sounds really muddy.

Really hoping that if this is pre-empting a new album, it's at least polished up.

After a coming back to the song after a while, my mind's changed a bit. The song owns, the mix is just garbage.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
God drat Anthony Green's voice is so pretty. I dunno what devil he made a deal with, but it's just as smooth now as it was 20 years ago.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Skrill.exe posted:

Not a huge surprise but it sounds like Circa Survive is calling it quits. The bright side is this probably means even more Anthony Green/Will Yip productions in the future.

https://www.reddit.com/r/circasurvive/comments/x1tx6s/creature_club_is_shutting_down/

Edit: Or not??

A real shame (if that's what happening?), I've wanted to see Circa live.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

God drat Anthony Green's voice is so pretty. I dunno what devil he made a deal with, but it's just as smooth now as it was 20 years ago.

Also I've listened to the song like 10 times today, it fuckin rules

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Not being able to afford this MCR tour is the most FOMO I’ve ever had

It's killing me. I tried for the past 2 years and it just kept getting cancelled, and I figured it would again. Guess my bluff got called.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSn2RYWKJ0

REALLY getting hype for the LS Dunes album.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo! I know what I'm doing for the next hour or so.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think it'll need to grow on me a bit. The songs we heard prior to it coming out were fantastic, but I didn't really get those vibes on a passive listen while I was driving on the rest of the album.

Still great.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
God drat Anthony is busy this year.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno if this is the right thread for sure, but I figure Bright Eyes falls under the emo genre?

Apparently they're releasing Companion EPs for all albums released so far (excluding the most recent) with remade versions of songs from each album, some with features from other artists, like the Fevers and Mirrors companion album featuring Phoebe Bridgers on a few tracks.

I can't justify the money buying all of them but I definitely want the Noise Floor, Fevers and Mirrors, and I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning companions...

EDIT: Apparently some of those rolled out back in November and I was none the wiser. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked some tracks from the newest one, but it definitely didn't have the rawness some of the earlier releases had.

I get it though, yeah. It's definitely cashing in on nostalgia and I'm fully aware of it. Still want some of 'em all the same.