Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Is there a free IRC app worth downloading out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Anyone have experience with Otterbox's Armor case?

http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-cases/ipod-touch/ipod-touch-2nd-3rd-generation-cases/ipod-touch-2nd-3rd-gen-armor-sport-package/

Maybe it's masochistic, but I love the idea of making an iPod into a tank. Is the case actually as usable as they say, though?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Here's another odd question - can anyone think of a good combo Bluetooth/FM transmitter for cars? I used to have a Venturi Mini, but it broke.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Is there a free and decent Windows app which will let you sync text files with Notes?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Any recommendations for portable iPod speakers? The Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 seems to be the gold standard, but surely there's something good for less. Main criteria: a rechargeable battery and a size small enough for a nightstand.

Also, I'm still looking for a combo Bluetooth/FM dock for my car.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
It's an ingenious little device, although it'll make you pine for an iPhone, if not the monthly phone bill associated with one.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask the basic question here, but any recommendations on a silicone skin for the Touch 2G? Ideally it'd be thin enough that I can a) still use it in a dock and b) fit it in a hand-me-down iPhone sleeve. Because the sleeve was designed for iPhones, there's actually plenty of space to maneuver.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's a Planex PCi Mini2 but you know what forget it this thing is just being one neverending clusterfuck of complete nonfunctionality in every department and I'm returning it before it makes me break something

Wi-Fi routers are so very very useful.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The Griffin RoadTrip and Belkin TuneBase seem to be well-liked - they're not cheap, but they have auto-scan features, and arms to make a Touch easier to reach.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

I had something similar happen, people at work ask to borrow my iPhone cable. It's just the generic term for iPod products now, I think. Also, it's not like Apple markets the Touch name nearly as much as the iPhone. I'd say the ranking of importance is probably:

1) iPhone
2) Nano
Distant 3rd) Touch
4th) Shuffle, if this still exists.
5) Classic

Actually, since I write about Apple news, I should say that the Touch is very important to the company. It sells like hotcakes, and its main purpose is to get people who won't pay for a phone plan to use the App Store. There wouldn't even be a web browser on the Touch if it hadn't been needed for mobile iTunes.

The Classic is definitely at the bottom of the list though. It's almost guaranteed that Apple will introduce a 128GB Touch this year, and when it does, you can probably kiss the Classic goodbye. I'll be very surprised if the company launches something like a 250GB Classic.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Super Dude posted:

They better get moving!

I must have been thinking in Apple terms. You know what I mean!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Any recommendations on an app for waking up and falling asleep to Internet radio? I've been spoiled by a Sonos system for a while now, but I may have to send the speaker back.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Ganguro King posted:

I've been using TimeTuner and it works pretty well.

Does that support custom stream URLs?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Major problem here - my Touch has stopped syncing playlists properly. I've restored from backup twice, and just now from scratch, and it's still leaving some playlists absent or empty even though it clearly copied over the music. Any ideas? It must be the iTunes or iPod updates that have messed things up, I figure.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Have you tried reinstalling an older version of iTunes to test your theory?

Not yet; might be worth a go at this rate. I assume that wouldn't have problems with the Touch 3.1.3 code?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Update on the playlist problem: judging from what people on Apple's support forums are saying it, it seems like it may be an inherent flaw of the iPhone 3.1.3 firmware. Waiting for Apple to fix it, sadly.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

BTW dunno why everyone rails about the camera resolution, I'm coming from an iPhone 2G where I had to jailbreak to get a decent camera app. Video cam is great as far as I can see.

The Touch's camera is rated at about 0.7 megapixels. It can do 720p video, but for stills that resolution is inferior to what "dumb" phones had just a few years ago.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Karthe posted:

Now watch, the iPod Touch 5G will look like the iPhone 4 and include a dedicated still-camera sensor...the sad thing is, I'll probably buy it because of that (unless I go the iPhone 5 route) :suicide:

I only want two things from a new Touch, in the short term: more memory and a GPS receiver. Scratch the memory in fact, I would kill to have a handheld that could do GPS without being chained to map updates or a phone subscription.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Karthe posted:

So guys, what do you think of my homescreen? :c00lbert:

Now what's iStudiez Pro? Incredibly stupid app name, I'm sure you'll agree.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Torael_7 posted:

Yes, though it's a paid update. Costs five bucks.

No idea why its a paid update, but it is.

Apple blamed a US accounting rule which the iPhone got around because it's tied to a subscription, I believe. The rule has since changed, though, which is why iOS 4 was a free update for iOS 3 users.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I have a 32GB Touch, but even a 64GB Touch wouldn't be enough to hold all my music, let alone apps, podcasts and video. I just sync apps, podcasts and a handful of playlists. What I really want is a 128GB Touch with direct disk access, like the Classic. Handy music backup.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Torael_7 posted:

I think they shy away from direct disk access on the touches because that would mean access to the OS file structure, which they'd prefer to avoid.

I guess that doesn't mean it's not impossible though.

Oh, that's exactly why they don't do it, but there must be some way to create a sandbox of pure storage.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Karthe posted:

I like SwitchEasy's Rebel Touch case for Touch 4G because it comes with two dock adapters (one black, one white) that fit perfectly around the case. It doesn't get much better than that.

I recently got a RebelTouch, and while I like it overall, I should note that you definitely need a more modern dock to keep the case on. I have an old pre-universal Apple dock that APPEARS to fit, but won't actually provide power (or sound output) to my Touch so long as the case is on. It's a good thing I only need the dock in bed.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I cover Apple news for a living, and I'm in with the camp thinking we might get a Touch update a few months from now, probably around the time the iPad 3 hits. I think Apple is willing to bear introducing A5 and A6 devices at the same time.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
That's bizarre, never seen anything like that before. Might want to pass the word on to Apple.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

E-Diddy posted:

A coworker of mine just gave me a 6th gen iPod Nano that the detailing people found in his car. I used to use a program called Anapod for my first gen Shuffle because it converted my OGG files to MP3 when it moved them over. Apparently the program is dead and googling didn't really give me an answer if any of the alternative ones also convert files. Is this even necessary? Do iPods play OGG now?

OGG has never been supported, unfortunately. Apple is all about MP3 and AAC. Somewhere, though, there has to be an OGG-to-MP3 converter, there are enough OGG diehards out there.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any rumours of a 5th gen Touch? I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by my 3rd gen slowness at times. And I don't even have retina screen.

Be nice if it was larger screen like the rumoured iPhone 5.

Yep. Not many, but they exist. The consensus seems to be an iPhone 5-sized screen and a faster processor; presumably it'll get more RAM and a better rear camera too.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

They had better add more RAM. My 4th gen iPod Touch is so drat sluggish and crashy that it's barely usable compared to an iPad 2/3.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean - I'm in the same scenario. Got a fourth-gen Touch and an iPad 3, here.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

BGrifter posted:

I'm actually pretty happy with my 4th gen iPod Touch, posting from it now. Only thing that has me even considering upgrading is the possible changing screen dimensions on the iPhone/5th gen iPod Touch. Right now I'm leaning towards waiting another year for more apps to take advantage of the extra screen real estate.

Well hey, no sense rushing into new tech when it's an iPod. As long as it can play music and run a few other other apps you like, why not wait?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

BGrifter posted:

I don't really use mine for music as much as a wifi only iPhone, but yeah, waiting seems like a good idea.

...at least til the keynote gets me all "oh god I must own it".

Ah, that's a bit different. But I'm still going to go with the "wait" strategy.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I honestly wonder what Apple is going to do with the Classic. It feels like a relic in many ways now, but at the same time, we still haven't seen an iPad with an equivalent amount of storage, never mind a Touch.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
My 2010 model is holding up surprisingly well. Really, I'm more interested in getting an iPhone 5 at this point, and letting the iPod sit in my alarm clock.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I think I could pull off that green pretty well. Just got this Touch 4 months ago, though, so I'll be waiting some time for a new one. At least the Nano is back to looking like something worth having in a pocket.

e: ha ha holy smokes the Touch 5 starts at $300.

It is a little crazy, but at least that gets you 32GB.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

PxiePip posted:

Not touch, but I have a couple of questions about the 6th gen nano - I need a music player for my commute and won't have an iPhone for a few months. I don't really like the new nano at all, but do Apple stores still sell the 6th gen nano? Also, I'm thinking of dropping way too much money on the leather Lunatik watch strap for the nano, is that a terrible idea? Has anyone got any experience with them?

As a rule, Apple drops old models of anything like a hot potato when it has a new product out. You're in luck though: Apple's online store has refurb Nanos on sale for cheap.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Yeah, sad but true. It just doesn't make much sense in an era of flash storage and touchscreens. Until we can get a 128GB Touch though, it's the only option for storing whole libraries in some cases.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

prefect posted:

I apologize for being a big clueless square, but I don't get it. :saddowns:

You're supposed to get these with them:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
...and this'll teach me to click the thumbnail. Still, shouldn't you be getting EarPods with a new Touch or Nano?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I've a new iPod Touch on its way.

I have a couple of 30pin Apple docks that I use for my current 3rd gen Touch and iPad2. It's great and convenient that I can use the same dock to sync and charge my devices.

Anyone heard when the official docks with Lightning support will come?

EDIT: Hope this is not true

At this point, I would assume Apple isn't working on a dock. Just keep your eye out for third-party Lightning docks.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Just to answer one of the questions, I believe iOS was still being called iPhone OS back then. That kinda had to go out the window by the time the iPad came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Does anyone other than me have an ipod shuffle, because I'm feeling pretty drat stupid now that I have one and can't use it in my car. There's no aux jack on my stereo and I doubt taking apart the dash to check behind the stereo is a good idea either.

Hmm. I would say you could use an FM transmitter, or even a cassette adapter, but those typically don't work with a Shuffle to my knowledge. The Shuffle is really meant for exercise or just casually walking around.

• Locked thread