Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

ToxicFrog posted:

Book ID question from my wife!

This was a nonfiction book about physics, aimed at kids. She got it from a public library in Canada in the mid-90s. Hardcover, trade format, relatively slim (~1cm). Black spine with white lettering.

The focus was mostly (entirely?) on astrophysics, especially the spicy stuff like the stellar life cycle, black holes and neutron stars, pulsars, etc. She remembers a detailed description of what would happen to someone falling into a black hole, and discussion of red and blue shift and relativistic time dilation due to high speed or intense gravity, including mention of the twin paradox.

There was one page that had a little "about Stephen Hawking" box in one corner, and another that mentioned theories that if you got a black hole (or an infinitely long neutronium cylinder) spinning fast enough you could use it as a time machine.

It had glossy pages with colour illustrations. One page talked about the density of various things (with pictures), like "a teaspoon of white dwarf matter [fig. 1] weighs as much as an adult elephant [fig. 2]". It included some two-page spreads where the entirety of both pages was one huge illustration with textual labels, similar to this image (not from the book, just a blog image in a similar style).

Maybe Eyewitness Time and Space? I remember that one having a metallic silver cover, but there may have been different editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I have a book from that era matching that description called The New Astronomy that I don't think was pitched at a kids level but then the name is also attached to this series: https://classicaleducationbooks.ca/product/the-new-astronomy-book/ so vOv

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
My partner is trying to remember the name of a book she had as a kid, it was an anthology of horror stories aimed at children (8-10 years old maybe). She had it in the early 90s but the copy she had was old, possibly printed in the 70s or earlier, and it was hardcover bound in green fabric with black lettering ( probably, she’s not 100% positive on that detail). Possibly illustrated, she can’t remember.

She remembers two stories in particular:
- Travelers stay at a hotel that seems normal, but in the morning it’s decrepit and there is a moss covered skeleton in the corner
- Someone sees a light in the forest, is transfixed and drawn to it, they end up turning into a goblin/hobgoblin

Does this ring a bell to anyone? She is fairly sure it is not any of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

gey muckle mowser posted:

My partner is trying to remember the name of a book she had as a kid, it was an anthology of horror stories aimed at children (8-10 years old maybe). She had it in the early 90s but the copy she had was old, possibly printed in the 70s or earlier, and it was hardcover bound in green fabric with black lettering ( probably, she’s not 100% positive on that detail). Possibly illustrated, she can’t remember.

- Travelers stay at a hotel that seems normal, but in the morning it’s decrepit and there is a moss covered skeleton in the corner
- Someone sees a light in the forest, is transfixed and drawn to it, they end up turning into a goblin/hobgoblin

Does this ring a bell to anyone? She is fairly sure it is not any of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books.

The hotel one might be Bungalow 14 from the Scary Stories for Sleepovers series by Q. L. Pearce?

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 14, 2023

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

wheatpuppy posted:

The hotel one might be Bungalow 14 from the Scary Stories for Sleepovers series by Q. L. Pearce?

It’s probably a similar story but that series is too new, she read it between 1990-1992 and it was at an absolute minimum from the mid-80s as her brother also read the same copy about 5 years earlier, and it was an old used copy then. She’s pretty confident it’s from at least the 70s, possibly as old as the 50s

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Hotel doesn’t ring a bell, but the “turning into a goblin” could be the story “The Yamadan” by Lynne Gessner which is collected in “Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures.” Ask if they remember a story about an evil patchwork monkey.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I have one of these as well, also from a children's horror collection. A boy dreams that he is trapped in an alternate dimension where he can see our world, but not communicate with anyone. Thank god it was just a dream! Over breakfast that day, his parents keep ignoring him. He thinks they're just being dicks, until one of them casually mentions that they never had children... The end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

I have a book from that era matching that description called The New Astronomy that I don't think was pitched at a kids level but then the name is also attached to this series: https://classicaleducationbooks.ca/product/the-new-astronomy-book/ so vOv

This sounds Very Christian, which the book she describes was not.

ScienceSeagull posted:

Maybe Eyewitness Time and Space? I remember that one having a metallic silver cover, but there may have been different editions.

That's almost certainly it! There's also an edition with a white cover and probably black spine, and while it doesn't look like there's an ebook version, I was able to find lots of shots of different cover editions and one shot of a single page that she says looks familiar. So likely some edition of that. Thank you!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ToxicFrog posted:

This sounds Very Christian, which the book she describes was not.

Whoa, didn't notice that. The book I have that led me to search it is not either, just shares the same name as that series, which seemed age appropriate (the book I have not so much upon flipping through it again). Apologies for not reading into it deeper!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

navyjack posted:

The Hotel doesn’t ring a bell, but the “turning into a goblin” could be the story “The Yamadan” by Lynne Gessner which is collected in “Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures.” Ask if they remember a story about an evil patchwork monkey.

That has a lot of elements that match, but I found a PDF of it online and showed it to her and she said it's definitely not it. Thanks though!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Apologies if these are unwelcome inquiries, but it's surprisingly hard to google for this sort of stuff so I've got a couple of these I'd like to run by the thread.

The first is a sci-fi story that I would have probably read in the late 90's, but could have been from earlier. It was something of a weird...reincarnation young adult romance novel? It follows a girl through the story of her life, where I believe, initially, she's destined to be a colonist for an exoplanet, but she witnesses several weird events including seeing an older version of herself at one point. The plot unfolds to reveal that she has this sort of destined soul-mate, except she almost never gets to be with him for any real length of time before fated events another version of herself put into place intervene. She clones herself and reincarnates over and over again; she ends up fostering both spacebound humans and the alien race they war with. She creates a ship that survives the end of the universe and guides the creation of a new big bang to eventually create a weird timeloop where she's responsible for setting into motion all the events that happened to her before. The book ends with her standing on an alien planet and seemingly looking forward to finally spending at least one lifetime with her crush (which is slightly silly and loses a little of its intended gravitas anyways because I think one of the previously-mentioned offshoots of herself ended up parenting the eventually-alien-evolved-humans with him, but maybe that's just the point in the timeloop it stops at).

Another is a short story about a kid who is a graffiti artist, and ends up with a brain tumor due to spray paint fumes. Some goosebumps-rear end shenanigans ensue where they maybe-metaphorically fight the brain tumor monster, only to wake up in the hospital with the tumor removed. I believe the story ends with a hospital tech eating a sandwich next to the empty jar that was supposed to contain the brain tumor. I think that this came in a compilation novel with at least two other short stories, and I think one of them was about a kid time-travelling to the Cambrian where they are tasked with causing the Cambrian extinction event (by...blowing up a cliff with dynamite I think???), which they fail resulting in them returning to the present and expressing relief that nothing has changed when they see their parents who are giant trilobites just like the kid remembers. Another story I believe is about a child in an alien class where they commit a faux pas by giving away something irreplaceable, I think, like a photograph, or something to that effect, and there's a whole discussion about teenage liminality and how they're neither really a child nor an adult, and they end up getting the photograph back. If I'm recalling this correctly, this actually interesting bit of late-childhood/early adulthood writing is immediately cut short by a joke about an alien race who communicates by devastatingly noxious flatulence.

I can usually find stories from the big-name authors if I search major plot points or particularly memorable imagery, but the shall we say 'less-celebrated' work is incredibly difficult to locate.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
The first one sort of sounds like The Starlight Crystal by Christopher Pike

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

The first one sort of sounds like The Starlight Crystal by Christopher Pike

Nailed it in one, thank you! Reading a summary I'm not surprised that my recollection of details was poor, but that's definitely the right novel.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A late 90s/early 00’s sci fi collection that had partial rules for a board game “recovered from the ruins of Manchester in 2036” where the four players were the pig, the pimp, the pusher, and the prostitute (prozzie?). And then the rules (or parts of) heavily implied that the game was to be played “live” as it were, on the street, with real people. And I think it maybe crossed over or got referenced elsewhere, maybe just tapped into a shared universe, which suggests it was by a single author rather than an anthology. Thank you!

A Maze of Clouds
Sep 15, 2022

Sanford posted:

A late 90s/early 00’s sci fi collection that had partial rules for a board game “recovered from the ruins of Manchester in 2036” where the four players were the pig, the pimp, the pusher, and the prostitute (prozzie?). And then the rules (or parts of) heavily implied that the game was to be played “live” as it were, on the street, with real people. And I think it maybe crossed over or got referenced elsewhere, maybe just tapped into a shared universe, which suggests it was by a single author rather than an anthology. Thank you!
The book is Pixel Juice by Jeff Noon. Good book.

The story is "Pimp! -The Board Game".

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Blimey it is as well. White cover with a feather or a frog or something on it. Loved that book, not thought of it for years. Thank you!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I think this one will be near impossible but it’s been bugging me and I can’t find it:

Short story in a horror? compilation. I would have read it 1995-2000 timeframe because I remember lending the book to a school friend afterwards, and this is the only story that I remember from it.

Woman is either day dreaming or dreaming on a bus and is psychically raped by a man on the bus. She realises what’s happening and draws him in, taking him deeper into her own fantasies until he is enthralled - because he’s usually an aggressor as he intruded into women’s minds and in this case she’s taking him deeper and darker - and she turns the tables on him somehow. I think last scene is her exiting the bus and he’s sitting there catatonic/stupefied/broken.

A couple of bits that are really jammed into my brain from it, possibly because I was a teenage boy at the time:
“She showed him the warm teak fantasy” + description of that being sex on a table or desk, warm wood pressed against her flesh type stuff. I think it was specifically lesbian sex.

“She showed him the broken glass”, something like that but I don’t think it ever explains that one, just left it open ended.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

DRINK ME posted:

I think this one will be near impossible but it’s been bugging me and I can’t find it:

Short story in a horror? compilation. I would have read it 1995-2000 timeframe because I remember lending the book to a school friend afterwards, and this is the only story that I remember from it.

Woman is either day dreaming or dreaming on a bus and is psychically raped by a man on the bus. She realises what’s happening and draws him in, taking him deeper into her own fantasies until he is enthralled - because he’s usually an aggressor as he intruded into women’s minds and in this case she’s taking him deeper and darker - and she turns the tables on him somehow. I think last scene is her exiting the bus and he’s sitting there catatonic/stupefied/broken.

A couple of bits that are really jammed into my brain from it, possibly because I was a teenage boy at the time:
“She showed him the warm teak fantasy” + description of that being sex on a table or desk, warm wood pressed against her flesh type stuff. I think it was specifically lesbian sex.

“She showed him the broken glass”, something like that but I don’t think it ever explains that one, just left it open ended.

I have absolutely read this. I thought it might a story from the “Midnight Graffiti” collection but I’m not seeing it.

Edit: ok I THINK it’s Ellison (man loves the word Teak) and I THINK it’s in Angry Candy.

Edit 2: Boom!! It’s “Broken Glass” by Ellison anthologized in Angry Candy!!

navyjack fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 28, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I have that on the shelf but didn’t even think to check it. I was going through old stuff like “Dark Love: Twenty-two all original tales of lust and obsession”, I was certain it was from something like that and for that reason I thought it would be impossible to id.

Thank you so much <3

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Another story I believe is about a child in an alien class where they commit a faux pas by giving away something irreplaceable, I think, like a photograph, or something to that effect, and there's a whole discussion about teenage liminality and how they're neither really a child nor an adult, and they end up getting the photograph back. If I'm recalling this correctly, this actually interesting bit of late-childhood/early adulthood writing is immediately cut short by a joke about an alien race who communicates by devastatingly noxious flatulence.

So, this might be Bruce Coville's "I, Earthling" from Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens, through the haze of memory

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

navyjack posted:

I have absolutely read this. I thought it might a story from the “Midnight Graffiti” collection but I’m not seeing it.

Edit: ok I THINK it’s Ellison (man loves the word Teak) and I THINK it’s in Angry Candy.

Edit 2: Boom!! It’s “Broken Glass” by Ellison anthologized in Angry Candy!!

Incredible work. Teak.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

I'm back again looking for more teen horror stories.

I thought this one was Anthony Horowitz but the books and anthologies of his short stories doesn't seem to have it.

It was called like "Don't Read This" or similar, and about a Chernobyl-esque reactor disaster, but the reader was causing it by reading on, it ended with the omniscient narrator telling the reader to look up so they could see the explosion in the distance.

I've still never found this one either (not teen horror, YA novel):

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series?

Or this (definitely teen horror short):

One time I read a short story that was really like Stephen King's Misery. It's only now I'm actually reading Misery that I remember it.

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk.

Still looking for all of these!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

So, this might be Bruce Coville's "I, Earthling" from Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens, through the haze of memory

Ooh, this sounds correct, from what I see with a little googling. I probably just lumped it in with the wrong short-story collection after, you know, decades of time working on the memories.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I thought it was a movie but maybe it was a book?

Alan Smithee posted:

Just watched Napoleon and was reminded of a synopsis I read once. I’m honestly not even sure if it s a movie or a book but it was about a French soldier under Napoleon’s army who became a straggler or deserter and was trying to make it home on enemy territory. I want to say Russia but even that seems hazy.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
A sci-fi story about an alien landing on Earth and being disgusted and horrified by humans. It can somehow sense human neural activity, and thinks that the brain is a horrifying parasite controlling the body. I think it wanted to "free" humans from these parasites.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They're Made Out of Meat by Terry Bisson?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Great story but that's not it!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
"The Things" by Peter Watts?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Thank you that is it!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm trying to remember the name of a book that was about, like, someone resurrected a Neanderthal in modern (or futuristic?) times, and he was like educated and able to interact, but had definite differences for Homo Sapiens.

It was an interesting premise and I can't remember what it was called.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Annath posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a book that was about, like, someone resurrected a Neanderthal in modern (or futuristic?) times, and he was like educated and able to interact, but had definite differences for Homo Sapiens.

Sounds like Hominids by Robert J Sawyer.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Annath posted:

Isaac Asimov wrote a short story where a Neanderthal child was brought to the present/near future by time travel, which Robert Silverberg later expanded into a novel. Both are titled "The Ugly Little Boy".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Philip Jose Farmer's novella "The Alley Man" is about a guy who believes he's the last surviving Neanderthal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Annath posted:

"Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer"?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Davros1 posted:

"Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer"?

Encino Man?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Haha, when did the thread title change?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I'm looking for a book I got reminded about recently with the whole I/P conflict and everything, and a few propaganda points from the Israeli side getting brought up and me being like "where have I heard that before?"

It's a thriller/espionage novel, probably not from one of the big big authors in the genre, with a plot involving terrorist bad guys and some historical Nazi stuff. Otto Skorzeny may have been mentioned. There were a few references in it to how Hitler met the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and went on about how he prized Muslims and considered them useful, basically establishing a narrative connection between the Nazis and Islamic terror, which I basically took at face value at the time (I was like 20, didn't know much history). I think I read it around 2009-2011, and it felt like a new-ish book then.

There may have been a climactic scene on a bridge or on some other kind of high place. Not uncommon for this type of novel though lol.

Anyone have any ideas?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

looking for an urban fantasy werewolf series

a girl comes back home to her pack. i think her parents are dead and the pack leader is her uncle or something. i can't remember a lot about the plot, except there are lone wolves testing the boundaries of the pack's territory and the pack leader and his enforcer (the girl's former love interest, also a professor of english lit or something like that) deal with that in a bloody fashion. also sometimes tourists trespass but that is dealt with more politely (LOL).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doktor Avalanche posted:

looking for an urban fantasy werewolf series

a girl comes back home to her pack. i think her parents are dead and the pack leader is her uncle or something. i can't remember a lot about the plot, except there are lone wolves testing the boundaries of the pack's territory and the pack leader and his enforcer (the girl's former love interest, also a professor of english lit or something like that) deal with that in a bloody fashion. also sometimes tourists trespass but that is dealt with more politely (LOL).

Pretty sure you have it a bit wrong but you mean 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong:

quote:

The main character of Bitten is Elena Michaels, a woman who is the only known female werewolf in the world. She lives in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and writes for a popular newspaper. She struggles to deal with her other-ness and to assimilate to the human world. She also contends with her terrible childhood and with the man who bit her and turned her into a werewolf.

Elena has settled into a somewhat normal existence, living with her architect boyfriend and ignoring her wolf side as much as possible. However, she learns that her Pack (the governing body of werewolves) is in trouble and comes to their aid, flying to Stonehaven, the country estate of the pack Alpha. It is in Bear Valley, a fictional city in up-state New York. When Elena arrives, she is greeted by her ex-lover, Clayton Danvers, who bit her and made her a werewolf (without her consent). Clayton is also the bodyguard and foster-son to Jeremy Danvers, the pack Alpha (leader). Elena learns that a local woman was found murdered on Stonehaven's land, savaged by what authorities thought to be a dog. However, the Pack has determined that she was murdered by a Mutt, a rogue werewolf. They find out he is a recently escaped killer who was recently turned into a werewolf. Clay and Elena chase him into a rave and after several of the partygoers are killed, the wolf is hit by an SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Pretty sure you have it a bit wrong but you mean 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong:

yeah, thanks