Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Pocket Billiards posted:

Isn't that all drumming?

it is

I learned to read rhythms by counting aloud:
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/rhythm/how-to-count-rhythms/

I learned with the traditional 1 - e - and a - 2 - e etc, but I think his "doom" "tek" nonsense counting looks more fun. I would like to see some online rhythm exercises too as I'm now realizing that studybass.com link is the only one I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Xandoom posted:

Hey so I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I can't find this anywhere else. Does anyone know where I can find the bass tabs to the Afterman by Coheed and Cambria? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with that group's songs, but found this: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/coheed-and-cambria-the-afterman-tab-s357477t1

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
From my most recent gig:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I posted earlier about wanting to buy a new bass sometime next year. I finally got my hands on a high end Warwick and a Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass and now I'm having trouble which one I like more between those two and the ibanez SR1400 and SR5000. I honestly didn't expect the Jazz bass to be any good from experience with low end J-basses. I was pleasantly surprised though because the deluxe j-bass was pretty good. The neck was as thin and fast as an ibanez.

Choices... choices..

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

What model Warwick? Personally I've never liked the way they sounded, but they've always felt great.

Also, coughcoughcoughbuyaLaklandcoughcough

I'm pretty sure it was a German Thumb, the sound was actually quite nice, and yeah the feel was awesome. Still though, I think the Deluxe Jazz is what threw me the most, it was seriously a great bass. The only thing I could fault it on was weight; nearly 2 pounds heavier than both the Ibanez basses and the Warwick (one pound lighter than my Warlock though).

Feel free to talk up some Lakland basses to me though :v: my price cap is $2000

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

You can get pretty much any Skyline model Lakland for under $2k, and a used U.S. model for just under that. Both lines are incredibly well made (I'd take my Korean and Indo Laklands over US Fenders any day), very versatile, and have bar none the best feeling necks I've ever felt.

You can find tons of videos and sound demos out there, both on youtube and lakland's site.

Here's one they made years ago that demo their then-new pickup/preamp. Really doesn't do the actual sound any justice, but it can give you an idea of the different sounds it's capable of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU

If you're looking for a super versatile, active, modern-sounding bass, I'd definitely say give Lakland a try if you can get your hands on one. Plus, that's just the flagship model... They have a ton of more traditional J and P-styled basses.

Just for clarity's sake, I am/was an endorsing artist for Lakland, so take my opinions as you will.

https://www.lakland.com

The video sounds okay through my stereo, I can hear it peaking pretty bad in certain spots though. Nice sweet sounding bass though, reminds me of my Ibanez actually but with more oomph at the bridge pickup. And boy that video is embarrassing for the Sting Ray, which sounded pretty mediocre (full disclosure, I have no love for Ernie Ball)! I'll have to call around and see if I can track down a Lakland now. Thanks Scarf!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Kilometers Davis posted:

Curious, why not? I can't think of any reason to shame them. They're a great company.

I dislike their strings, and I've never liked how their basses sound. On top of that I think their basses are awkward or sometimes even outright ugly looking (a bongo should live under a tarp ;) ). As a company they do most things well, although I feel like their competitors tend to do things better (especially d'addario with their planet waves stuff).

This is petty but: I've used super slinks exclusively for probably 4 years now and initially I adored them but in recent months with my band suddenly becoming busy, weaknesses have started to show that weren't apparent before. With how often I play now, they've been losing their tone after a week or less, which just sucks so bad. Fresh super slinks sound sweet and awesome but old slinks sound dull, and that dull tone has been showing up sooner and sooner these days. I've switched to GHS Boomers just this last month, the feel is noticeably different from the slinks (far more rigid and restrained), but tonally I think fresh boomers and fresh slinks are pretty similar. The big difference is the Boomers tone hasn't faded away yet, whereas the slinks would have been dullsville already. So yeah, I'm mad that my once favorite strings are a bit shittier than I thought (I told you it was petty).

Rifter17 posted:

At the $2000 price point I would start looking at the used boutique market. The downside is that you probably wouldn't be able to play one beforehand if you go online at talkbass or something like that. But something like a used Roscoe bass would simply blow any production instrument away.

I have thought about this, but most examples I see are still over $2k, and not being able to play it first is really hard to deal with for me.

So far, as far as bass/dollar value goes, the Ibanez SR5000 is the front runner with that American Deluxe Jazz Bass close behind. I kinda want to take a moment to gush-rant about that J-Bass: it surprised me the most out of all the basses I've tried because I genuinely expected to hate it. I've played a lot of j and p basses in the past and was always left wondering "why? what's the big deal?" But the new neck style is almost perfect, and the tone was noticeably more bright. The bridge still seems like something you'd find on a bargain bass but a little more robust, and the body finish was typical Fender underwhelming, but the tone and playability of the bass are far improved from lovely j-basses I've played in the past.

I'm glad I have months to decide because so far I'm not even close to a decision.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

So what type of music do you play generally? Is it mostly metal? If it is I would say go for the SR5000. If you play different genres I would go for the Jazz Bass. Personal opinion.

My band is indie/alt rock, I play prog and metal on the side with a friend, and I also write little solo songs where I sing and tap/slap, these tend to be more funk and alternative.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

Definitely go for the Fender Jazz Deluxe. It has a very versatile sound that can be shaped and formed to fit just about anything. Plus they are well put together to boot.

Yeah of all the basses I've tried that one is really sticking in my mind. But that might be because it was one of the more recent basses I've tried. I suspect if I went and tried the SR1400E or 5000 out again I'd flip-flop some more. Still no luck tracking down a Lakland!

EDIT: I'm also considering a Carvin because I respect them a lot as a company (my bass amp and a lot of my bands live equipment is Carvin), but this would be another bass I couldn't try before I buy.

Plus there is something about the way they look

at first I thought they were pretty ugly but the headstock has actually grown on me. Still not sure if I like how the wings splay outward like that though. I mean, its not as bad as the obvious penis wing that all Warwicks have* but still..

Ericadia fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 21, 2013

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Declan MacManus posted:

Everyone I know of who has a Carvin absolutely loves it. If you can try one out I'd recommend it, naturally, but the big thing is that you're going to eat a lot of money trying to sell that thing if you don't like it.

A guitarist I work with has a custom carvin and it really is a remarkable guitar. I think later tonight I'll peruse eBay and the carvinbbs to get a feel for the used market.

That being said... I customized a SB4001 bass on their site last night. Chambered swamp ash body, 5 piece maple neck with koa stripes, ebony fretboard with abalone block inlays, gold hardware and a single coil bridge pup, humbucker at the neck. Flamed maple top wood, ruby red finish with black burst edges.

Came out to ~$1800. Not a bad price at all.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

frunksock posted:

Do you hear a buzzing if you loudly play a low A on the E string? I'm almost positive that I tried the 15-35W ish Acoustics at the store and they had that buzzing. But so did the Ampegs. The Fender Rumble had it but to a lesser extent, and then starting with like a 200W Peavey and up from there were fine. I'm guessing maybe all the little amps were just damaged by customers turning them up higher than they should go?

or maybe they are picking up some slight fret buzz :v:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Xandoom posted:

Yes I believe so, except the one I bought was black. Is it a good bass do you think?

Good basses are the only kind Ibanez makes :smug:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

Just for clarity's sake, I am/was an endorsing artist for Lakland, so take my opinions as you will.

I was thinking about this today, and I was wondering if you could tell me about this. How did it happen, what did it entail, did they have crazy demands, were there Lakland sponsored Scarf parties? I'm curious about endorsements

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Welp, looks like New Bass Quest 2013-14 might have reached a conclusion today. The big Ibanez dealer in town offered to take $200 off the price for a SR1400E, which would bring it down to such a stupidly good price, I can't justify not getting it.

On the other hand, this option will leave a lot of extra cash in the bass fund... maybe enough to get a second sweet bass later in the year. Maybe a Skyline... or a Fender ADJB... or a Warwick Thumb.... or a Carvin SB4000.... or or

I must thank the bass thread for holding my hand through all of this.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Are those Nordstrands?

Do you have any sound clips?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I really can't get over the toilet shaped pick guard. Especially on bongos where the rest of the bass is shaped like that. I can't handle it.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

No difference other than the fingerboard. In fact, I'm pretty sure the M in the 200M stands for "maple."

Maple is a harder wood than rosewood (and ebony harder than both of them). People SAY that the harder woods result in a brighter sounds with more bite to it... but it's incredibly difficult to hear a difference between the two, if any.

Yeah there really isn't a discernible difference in sound or feel to me. It's all about the looks.

I really dig the look of maple fretboards, but you have to clean them more often since the bright colors show off your filthy human hand grease

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Renegret posted:

Any opinions on this, goons?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/4265112562.html

It's basically everything I'm looking for, except that place is absolute bitch for me to get to so I don't feel like contacting him unless I'm 100% sure I want it.

I don't even need a new bass but I want an Ibanez because they are sexy. I'm not even that good :( (yet)

(Plus my current bass is a lovely fender copy that needs some major fret work, plus the action is far too high but it buzzes anyway on the lower strings so I can't lower it. I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it)

I have a musical background but I'm new to guitars and basses. I know next to nothing about gear and I don't know what to look for.

You're in luck, I own an SRX-650 which is nearly identical to that bass, but with blue stain and a pickup select switch. It's a good bass. Pros: comfortable, chunky well-made bridge, light weight, best bass necks around (imo), sexy non-lumpy design. Cons: the pre-amp is too quiet and makes the bass's output lower than my passive basses

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oh I dunno, he just taught me the importance of not setting my action too low, not having horrible tone, and staying far far away from marijuana.

edit: oh and no dreadlocks on white people

white people dreadlocks are the worst

Scarf posted:

Here I was thinking I was the only one...

You aren't the only one, Jaco sounds terrible in spite of his skill. Gets me thinking about basses that are marketed as having "vintage tone," like a lot of Fenders. I don't understand why "vintage tone" is supposed to be a selling point. Its almost the same as saying "hey, this bass is the least versatile thing you'll ever play, that'll be $2000 please"

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Digital Jesus posted:

Hey bass dudes! I'm just coming back to playing after a ~10 year hiatus. I only ever really played through school and then a couple bands shortly after, then kinda let it go. A few friends have started jamming again so I'm getting in on it too.

Anyway, I'm back, and I now have a beautiful Ibanez SR505! It looks and feels so much nicer than anything I've owned before. I've just picked up a Behringer Ultrabass BA115 cab but I'm not sure what to do for a head. I've salvaged the head from a Fender Bassman 150 combo that had a hosed speaker. Is this going to work out okay or should I pick up something else? I don't want to spend more than around $500-600AUD if I can help it.

These are the places I usually look at:

https://www.basscentre.com.au
https://www.guitarfactoryportmac.com.au
https://www.kosmic.com.au

Edit: the other option is to get rid of the cab and the Fender thing and get something like a GK MB 115 combo. bass Centre have it for 799 which seems a decent price here.

Welcome to Soundgear bass ownership, prepare for a life of being wholly unsatisfied with other basses. Personally I would unload that Behringer cab and go for a nice combo, or get a smaller 210 cab.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Describing and quantifying tone is hard. Everyone knows what "bad" tone sounds like, and most everyone should be able to pick out a J, a P, a Rick, a Stingray, and a hollowbody in the most general terms by sound. Past that, it's like trying to say one color is "better" than another, you know?

I've been a J-bass guy for the last ten or so years, favoring just a smidge towards the back pickup to get more definition, which works fantastically in heavier or denser mixes. I just like that little quack you get from the back pickup of a J with roundwounds. For the last few years I've also kept a P with flats on hand, as well as an electric upright, both sit fantastically as the mixes get sparser.

Guys whose tone I love: Stu Zender, Paul Turner, Rocco, Tim Commerford, Chris Squire, Pino, Janek Gwizdala, Richard Bona, Robert DeLeo, Steve DiGiorgio.

But (if you want to talk about pretentiousness) my main rig is the best bass tone I've ever heard or played in my life.

Soooo I have had my new bass (Ibanez SR1400E) for several days now and I'm in love with the Nordstrand big singles. Like you, I think my tone is now one of the best I've ever heard, and I think these pickups are the center-piece of it all. This bass even sounds good through my old boomy Peavey TNT115, a rare feat.

The video you posted was a deciding factor for me in buying this bass.

I want to try out more Nordstrand stuff.. and I'm wondering if big singles would fit in my early model Peavey Grind.. I feel like these pickups would do any bass justice.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

EvilChameleon posted:

Just in Valen-time!

New DR Neons. So far, so good, other than playing on coated strings feels a bit weird from having gone from uncoated ones.

Neato, keep us updated on how the coating holds up.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Dr. Platypus posted:

So, I'm picking my bass back up after not playing for a few years, and I've discovered I lost a lot of my random equipment. I found a decent-looking metronome phone app, but I'm having trouble finding any tuners. I can find a billion guitar tuners, but when I try them with the bass they don't really work.

Anyone have a good recommendation for an iOS bass tuner app?

Garageband's tuner works okay. iPhone mics suck at picking up bass frequencies

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

organburner posted:

Hi bass thread.

I'm still wanting to learn the bass, but now I actually have a job!
So in theory I will have money at some point!

I've been looking at the epiphone performance starter pack
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Packs/Toby-Bass-Performance-Pack.aspx
Because it's pretty cheap and comes with pretty much everything I guess I need?
Also has my name plastered all over it, which helps.

Is that a decent bundle for around 200€ or would I be better off just buying some 150€ bass?

That kind of kit can be nice to start with, but I'd be wary of buying Epiphone sight unseen. They're notorious for poor QC. Maybe look into a peavey, ibanez, or squier starter kit instead (unless you are dead set on having that tobias)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

organburner posted:

Okay, thanks, managed to find that ibanez jumpstart pack for 250€. I think in the end it might save me money since it comes with headphones and a guitar stand, so really the difference (compared to the epiphone pack) is at most like 20-30€

Now the biggest question is, do I want it in red or black?
Gonna take a long good think to figure that out.

Having a guitar stand is a nice touch imo, and something I'd want any student of mine to have. Having the bass out in the open helps encourage practice.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Glad the video helped!

Yeah, you can even get a Sadowsky with Big Singles nowadays. They just have this extra *something* no other pickup I've heard has. And I think you can get them in an EMG-sized shell as well - check bestbassgear.com, that's the best place to grab them.

I've had Nordstrands in two separate J basses and a PJ as well as all of my Stambaughs, and I'm really looking forward to getting a set for my newest PJ. (All of my basses are designed around pickups - going to run a P+Big Split in my next Stambaugh 5 and a pair of dual coils in a Singlecut 6. Just wish they made upright pickups!) I'm also considering switching from Aguilar preamps in my Stambaughs to Nordstrand's - they're cheaper than the Pope preamp but the EQ is supposedly a bit more controllable and centered better than the Aguilar OBP3 I'm running.

I'm toying with the idea of putting some nordstrand p-bass pickups and a preamp in my warlock. Might get a new bridge for it too if I go that route, the stock bridge is a POS and bending a little.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Alleric posted:

Yep.

It's a terrorizing fact that playing slower, more open material can be just has hard on you as playing fast. Runs are runs are runs. Notes fly by so fast that hardly anyone but the trained are going to notice that you flubbed an attack. Botch a run and people will just go "oh well... it's hard to play fast, that's ok...". Slow, open material, they can hear absolutely everything you do. How you attack, if you have a tendency to naturally pull sharp (involuntary vibrato or pull movements, especially on root can screw you), if your intended vibrato is uneven, if there's subtle noise, how your phrasing is set up, if your emphasis points are appropriate, blah, blah, blah.

Bass can be slower, but it isn't inherently easier.

This applies to every instrument, but I agree it is more of an issue for bass (and drums!)

silvergoose posted:

There's an untapped idea there, and it involves stringing it with bass strings but then shooting arrows with it. Eight arrows. At the same time.

obviously he needs to put strings on the other side of the neck to counter the bow

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

why oh WHY posted:

I had no idea the bassoon was such a temperamental instrument. I really only deal with bass, guitar and piano so I don't have too much fussing but that sounds horrendous.

Basson and Oboe afaik are like some of the hardest instruments

Q: what is the definition of a minor second?
A: two oboes playing in unison.

Yuk yuk yuk

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I've got plans for my '04 B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock. I'm thinking two Nordstrand NP4 pickups with one of the 2B-4 preamps (not sure about the knob setup yet). I've run the idea by Deuce Slice so far and I think I'm pretty sure that this is the pickup config I want. I like my basses to have a lot of bright, bang, and punch.

The other part of my plan is to change the strings to BEAD using a set of 5-string lights. Maybe some of those DR Neons. IDK if I'm really asking anything with this post, more like a statement of intent. Feel free to intervene on me bass thread.

OH WAIT! I know! This thing needs a new bridge! Recommend me a bridge for this thing (old bridge below):

The 4 screw config on this thing looks uncommon among bass bridges, the hipshot bridge looks like it is wider, and I don't know how comfy I'd be drilling new holes in this thing. Maybe I should just live with the current bridge for now? It's only bent up a mm or so

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Get an ibanez premium (badass Nordstrand pickups) or an ibanez prestige (darker sounding bartolini pups).

Really the only 5 strings I've tried and strongly disliked were the Peavey Grind and the deluxe fender P.

Have you considered getting a 6-string bass?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

I swear that bass guitars have some of the worst visual designs I have ever seen in an instrument.

I absolutely agree. Bass guitars tend to be quite ugly, and a lot of bassists are drawn to the ugly basses. Even classics like the J-bass have an unnecessary blob where the input jack is. This is something my girlfriend pointed out to me during my bass shopping excursions over the last few months, most basses are very blobby, asymmetric things, and it often feels like very little design thought was put into them. Some of the nicest basses are just awful to look at, like Bongos and basically everything Carvin makes.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

JPJ did use a pick on that track, but like I said I saw the Aerosmith guy do it fingerstyle so I guess it must be possible.

I decided to check it out, and its making my left hand melt a little, but it's definitely doable. Just need more practice... maybe. As a fun bonus, you can play the verses slap bass style like Infectious Grooves does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eORgaojWu6o

What a cool cover :allears:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

Sublime beauty or seizure-inducing freakshow?

Gross!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Lets talk about some more ugly rear end basses that are popular in spite of their weird misshapen features and tortoiseshell pick guards:

The Thunderbird is frustrating to me, because I feel like it is ALMOST there. The shape is so close to being pleasing, but it has this "hand drawn" look to it in the body that bothers me.

And of course:

It's not so much the toilet seat, more the fisher price look

But, well, how about something that most of us might agree is pretty grotesque looking:

Disclaimer: this is mostly tongue-in-cheek, please don't kidnap and murder me.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Gibson is completely worthless when it comes to bass and mostly worthless in general.

It's like you are me :hfive:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

I like short scale because I'm lazy and don't want to reach and like the idea of having a bass that doesn't immediately take a nose dive when I am not holding it.

my short-scale bass is the only one of mine that nose dives, all of my long scale basses are much better balanced instruments. It's all about the quality not the scale :)

Speaking of, I never did solve my Harmony H22's nose diving problems :( that big strap gave me a nasty rash.. although I didn't try that carabiner trick that someone posted. I guess it's not a big deal since I never gig with it (it's too fragile/loved dearly). Actually speaking of the H22, its time for some new flat wounds, I think I'll give chromes a try this time, or LaBella.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Digital Jesus posted:

I think the body and neck are the same, it's just the pickups (2xFD3n pups at the bridge) and the Darkglass Electronics preamp that are different.

OH and the colour options. I have now officially preordered one in Ferrari Green... Nobody tell my wife :ohdear:

:getin:

Do you mind me asking how much it cost? I can't find prices anywhere on their site

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Juaguocio posted:

That's gonna be a great bass. My one complaint about the Dingwalls I tried was that the pickups were maybe a little thin sounding, and the new FD3s are supposed to sound massive. My Super P will have one in the bridge.

In case you haven't seen it, here's Nolly giving a rundown of his rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMxbP1V3WBo I'm not really a fan of his tone, but he shows off some sick basses.

That's a ton of gear to make oneself completely disappear in the mix. Agreed on the tone, sounds awful to me. He's pretty good though, and those basses are pretty enviable.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

organburner posted:

Thanks man, I'll try that. Haven't been picking that much since just using fingers is so much easier.

You know Rocksmith doesn't force you to use a pick on bass (or even play the exact fret, you can transpose to your hearts desire (because some of Rocksmith's fret positions are wrong (I'm looking at you 'Run to the Hills'))), if you want to pluck, pluck :)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm trying to think of some fast pick players and am drawing a blank...fast fingerstyle players for sure - Jeff Berlin, Hadrien Feraud, Juan Alderate, Adam Nitti, Billy Sheehan. There must be some metal or prog dudes that are technically adept and play with a pick.

Chris Squire of Yes is fairly fast.

Also you missed Steve Harris from your list of fast finger style players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I don't really use a pick much anymore, but Herco nylon .75mm were my default. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/herco-flex-75 I'm not sure why, but they feel great to me, and are pretty durable

Maybe someone should page Agreed to this thread to lay down some pick knowledge on us.