Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I don't think there's any magic answer to that, just listen to what everyone else is doing and try to get back into the song as quick as you can.
I have a percussive sound, so I can do the thing you mentioned about strumming a rhythm until you get your place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Local Resident posted:

Speaking of which - hey Scarf, Bacon, and all the other performing musicians in here. Got any funny stories of epic live gently caress ups or gear failures?

The worst thing for me was probably a show when our drummer set up sideways, so although we were in a row I was essentially playing by his backside. At one point he broke a stick and chucked it behind him, right into my face. It hit about 1cm below my right eye- it probably could've blinded me very easily. My eyesocket got swollen almost instantly. Friends in the audience (of course) said it was the funniest thing ever, because I stopped playing, glared downward, and then angrily threw the stick to the other side of the room, then continued playing.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I would just keep one hand on the volume knob and do swells, and hammer on the frets for the notes. If you don't want the downswells in there release the fret hand just enough to mute between each note.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wow, I've never seen those before. I want to try a B7K. Shame there doesn't seem to be any near me anywhere.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm sure a bunch of us are, I'm in two metal bands myself, what genres are you looking for?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

js86 posted:

Any would work, but original material is what I'm looking for.

The two bands I make noise around Boston in...
Boarcorpse, groove metal, messes around with different beats and times. Much more bass-centric than the other band. Uploaded material is just demos at this point, actual CD to land this year.

Parasitic Extirpation, brutal slam metal. More heavy. Will have new stuff this year too.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The plastic nut on my bass just snapped in half. Like, the top half came off, not the entire nut.
What are the chances I can get away with supergluing it back together and having it work?
Can't say I've had this happen before...

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Although technically not a bass question per se...

I am not wise in the way of electricity so I'm just trying to verify this before blowing something up.
I have a bass pod and I believe the power supply to be suspect. So I look for a replacement for my 9v 1200ma power supply, and I find those are no longer made, but all that are available now are 9v 2000ma.
Am I correct in thinking that this is actually ok- that the pod will only draw what it needs? (ie supply must be at least 1200ma but it's ok if over).

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Do it if you need to. I downtune to C# standard for one band and all the way down to B standard for another. You do need to adapt to different tension if you go that far but you get used to it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Kvlt! posted:

So almost every player I know rests their thumb on one of the pickups. I like to rest mine right at the bass of the neck (where the neck meets the body). Should I make the effort to switch to resting on the pickups or is it more whatever is comftorable? Will it make a difference in sound?

This is how I play, and it does make a difference in sound; be aware that if you downtune at all (or even how your bass is set up) you will likely be hitting the strings on the freboard when you pluck. This gives it a hard attack sound- since I play metal that's usually what I want but it's a personal preference thing really. I would be aware though, that this is one of those things that once you get used to it, it's hard to play differently, at least in my opinion anyway.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wow. That bass looks like it washed up on the seashore.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Snak posted:

tl;dr: Does anyone have recommendations for a metronome, or does it not even matter?

Doesn't really matter, you can go to a music store and pick up a little digital one for $5.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
You don't need to mirror the chord changes. Mirror them for more powerful sections, and make your own melodies for other parts.

I do this by listening to the guitar, and imagining what solos/melody lines I hear over them- I then make that become the bass line.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Any particular genre? When you said Hotel California the first thing that popped into my head was 80's pop rock, where the bass is out front usually on top of synths and light guitar. Duran Duran's Rio came to mind, The Fixx's One Thing Leads to Another, etc. Bands like The Police and U2 have bass lines that usually aren't doubled by guitar, although they also are on the easy side to play.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Unless the band has a "leader" that writes stuff and calls the shots, it's entirely up to you. No one should tell you what to play, nor should you tell them what to play. Suggestions are fine; some people may have more experience with equipment and tone searching and whatnot and may help you find your sound, but for image? No one gives a poo poo.

And in metal, you'll fall into one of two categories:
1. You have a flat sound that's more about the low tone and blending into the guitars. In which case you won't be up front in the mix so no one should care what you play.
2. You have a high-mid buzzsaw or clank and are loud in the mix. In which case that's probably very specific to the guitar/pickups you use so again, they can't tell you to use something else.

I fall into category two. I use warwicks. No one is telling me to do otherwise. (I could be tempted with a Conklin though!)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I just tune down to B, personally. Floppier, but you get used to it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
500 watts is not a lot for a metal band. I would say 300w is too low. I run a 1000w setup myself, and you're still fighting with a loud drumset and kick triggers. Guitars needs far less wattage than basses to be heard, so you can't compare them directly.

I personally love my Avatar 4x10. It's not as bassy as the Ampeg models, but my back thanks me for it every time I need to move it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
To clarify a bit, I wasn't saying 500w is bad, it should be fine, I just wouldn't say it was "too much". I ran the same 350w solid state setup the other guy mentioned earlier and I was constantly fighting to be heard. Not a scoop issue either, I have a very bright tone. But when you're dealing with two guitarists with full stacks and a drummer who plays very hard along with bass triggers going through a cab of his own, it's tough. 1000w is not necessary and not what I'm recommending but it IS what I'm running now, and I don't have to worry about getting drowned out anymore.

The venues he described sounded like they had no real PA system so he must rely on stage volume. A lot of places I've played are like that too. Going direct is great but a lot of times you won't have that option.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm all about rounds because I want that bite and zing. I want to sound like a choking robot.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend some exercises to using a 3 finger gallop for playing heavier/faster music? I can play pretty well with 2 fingers but if I add my ring finger it gets messy.

I don't think there's any real secret to it other than start slow and work your way up. I think when I started doing it I used to go (with 1 being index finger) 321x21 in time over and over until I got used to the motion. Some people go the other way with index first, but I go back to front. If you're looking for music to practice to, look no further than old Iron Maiden, Harris is the gallop king.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I've been happy enough with the Road Runner Roadster Bass Gig Bag that all the guitar centers up here seem to carry.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Steel roundwound, bright as gently caress, turn up those mids and let the distortion set you free

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I get to record a couple tunes this weekend. Clank for days, khed.

Also having that "am I good enough to play this properly" worry.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The tuning itself is pretty normal. Been downtuning it forever, also sometimes AEAD. You get used to it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Metronomes are very helpful when learning riffs at fast speeds, and very useful when recording. I think they're essential for almost any musician.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
You generally would go Bass -> Effects -> Head/PowerAmp -> Cabinet. For example, my setup goes from my bass to a Line6 rackmount which serves as "effects" and is a signal shaper (this is what the VT would do as well), from there going to a Carvin PowerAmp, which then plugs into the cabinet. The Poweramp has no EQ or sound shaping ability at all; all it does is supply volume to the signal and power to the cabinet. Most people would instead use a head, which serves the same purpose but also has tone shaping abilities, EQ, some drive/gain, etc. It's all personal choice depending on tone.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
So that little middle knob controls how much stuff goes into the butthole?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
When the bass drum starts hitting 16+ hits a second, there's no way you'll keep up with it. Don't worry about that, instead focus on what the beat feel is of the song, what rhythms the guitars are doing. My rule of thumb is to play enough that it sounds good, but not so much that I keep loving up or ruining the tight feel. If that means you need to play half of that blistering tempo, so be it. You know what? It usually still sounds good. If you have the kind of tone that blends in and doesn't emphasize pick/pluck sounds, no one will even notice you're doing half-time. If you do have a clear attack sound (my preferred sound), tightness is even more important, and you'll probably want to keep it under control anyway.

If you still hate the idea of doing that, find creative ways to do it. Break up the half-time with full speed fills, or alternate speeds between riffs. It not only gets the job done but you will astonish with your creativity! (or not) But above all, do service to the song, not any one instrument.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

use fingers and toes

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I use warwicks, prefer the active pickups due to a really aggressive sound. The Rockbass lines are their low-end models but honestly the quality is still there; what gets skimped on is the hardware such as the pegs and nut. (I believe those are shopped out to China while the "real" warwicks are still made in Germany.) Still, I have two Rockbasses myself, a corvette and a streamer, and think they're great.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I used to break Boomers all the time. I switched to DR and problem solved.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
If you're playing fingerstyle, then don't forget your fretting hand is a big tool for muting. Also, if you need to mute notes that you're playing, you can just use the fingers that were on the string originally (something you can't do with a pick, where instead you'd lay your palm across the strings).

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Same here, I normally use two but if I need a triplet or a gallop pattern I go R-M-I. For triplet-one patterns I go R-M-I--M.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

underage at the vape shop posted:

My friends said to buy a cheapish second hand bass of the Australian equivalent of Craiglist, and I'm kinda thinking thats a good idea. I'd take on of them with me to look at it, but what should I be looking for? Is ~$100 for just the bass too little, just to start?

I would maybe bump that up a little bit, perhaps $200. Not much more though, since you don't know if you're into it yet. That's how I started; I got a cheapo bad bass, started playing along to some favorite tunes, realized I liked it, and upgraded from there. At some point you'll probably realize your first bass is a hunk of junk, but that's ok! That how you end up learning what style of bass you might want, wide/thin neck, the kind of sound, etc.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The only time I want flats are on a fretless. Give me all the clank you got, baby

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I used a regular set of strings tuned down to BEAD for quite some time. It's totally playable, but I also like a lot of fret clank in my sound. But now I need AEAD and it was getting a bit silly, so I now use a custom set that's .05-.1 thicker than a normal 4-string set but not as thick as a 5-string set. Works for me!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Needs more pedals

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Except for your back

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
And sometimes venues have stairwells you have to go up and stuff. It can be exhausting. I traded in a big heavy Ampeg cab simply because it was so hard to move around myself. Went Avatar with neos and glad I did. Slightly less beefy sound but I can live with that knowing I can pick the thing up and throw it in a car myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
...to ourselves