Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Solar Coaster posted:

More pics here

My favorite thing is the random images at the end of the ad.

I can't hate this. Other than the biblical lettering, it's apparently done at least partly tongue in cheek, so I'd give it a pass as a comical parade car/just having fun thing. I'm not wild about the desecration of the flag as a headliner, though. And why are the front wheel openings so huge?

e: "Big Nose" :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Manta-Deleted-Chrome-1974-opel-manta-a-/200980071146

This would be fun to grab.

I've been looking for one of these for a while now and this is easily the best condition I've found. You just can't get these in ok shape anymore.

edit

Anyone want a *fun* project?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4081951641.html

A 13BT in that thing would be RIDICULOUS.

Sir Tonk posted:

I found it, the ultimate 70's hot hatch.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4160981339.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cosworth_Vega

Holy crap, I might even try to buy it off of him. No idea what he's looking for, cash-wise. Any Houston area goons want to go in on a Vega project together?

Put a Rover V8 in it and absolutely piss off the Cosworth aficionados. Then point out that at least it's an ALUMINUM V8.
Nah, the Cosworth Vega was a good-locking little car. It's only major failing (over anything else of the era, at least) was a lack of forethought on the engine, partially due to bean counting. I mean, really: a cast-iron head on an aluminum block, with no cylinder liners, and marginal cooling system? Fuel-injected, though!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

If you're going to V8 a 3-series, use an LSx, or at least use fuel injection for Mog's sake!
Also, what's with the 4x4 stance?

Tai-Pan posted:

No, I said I want a LOT of gauges. And you bring me this? Needs more gauges!
Where is the manifold gauge?

George Barris is an amateur.

That poor FD, automatic or not. 4x4 stance on it, too, in several of the pictures.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

More likely coil-overs raised to make it easy to load/unload on a trailer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Citycop posted:

The only way to safely assume a cashiers check is not completely fake is to take it to the bank where it was issued, cash it with them right there and walk away with cash in hand, thus completely negating the usefulness of the check. Cashiers check are the most abused and conned pieces of paper in the country. People don't understand that its' just a check, nothing special, and they assume that it is some sort of guaranteed funds.

All you have to do to scam someone with a cashiers check is create your own and use a weird bank from out of town and fudge up the routing numbers. That check will take about a week to bounce. Meanwhile, the victims bank balance is showing the money. This is the second part of the scam where people don't understand that when you deposit a check from another bank to your bank, your taking a loan out against yourself until that check clears. When it bounces, and it will, your bank takes the money back out.

The most common scam involves overpaying with a bogus cashiers check and asking for payment back for difference. When it works it's a triple whammy, the victim does not get paid, they loose their item, and they give the con man extra money. Bonus points if the victim spends the money from the fake check right away and ends up owing the bank a ton of cash. I hate thieves.

I hate a banking system that allows this to happen. They are all electronically connected, and could stop cashier check fraud if they wanted to.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What's really sad is that the guy obviously has good metalworking skills, just no aesthetic sense at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

I agree it's ridiculous, but there is no reasonable method for transferring funds inter-bank immediately in the US. The ACH clearing house still operates like they're physically driving tapes around to each bank - it's a daily batch process.

What we need is something like the European banks have. You can clear funds phone to phone between two banks in less than 10 seconds.

Hence the "if they wanted to". They act like we don't have a near-instantaneous global information and communications medium. The banking system was all cutting edge computerized in the '70s and ' 80s. What happened?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

That's what happened.

The US cell phone network and internet access were cutting-edge when they were introduced, now you've got incumbents who put off upgrading as long as they can, as they've already got billions sunk into obsolete infrastructure.

Roger that. It's really annoying that everyone else has better, cheaper phones and service, because US corporations are fat, lazy, greedy slobs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

on the Volvo wheels instead of the Evo8s, and with halogens installed and the car raised back up, this is basically my ideal car

...and not a single picture of the engine swap. Despite that, I love that wagon. It looks good on the Evos. It would look phenomenal on the BBS reps. I like the ride height, but if it's uncomfortable, an inch or so up would be tolerable. I like the look of low, but I'm not willing to make the car un-drivable for looks.
Little far from Texas, sadly. Also, I'm broke.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ok, now I'm glad I'm broke, because that one is within reach of DFW. I actually prefer the square 7-wagons, but that 240 is too awesome. One of these days I'm going to have to buy one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Why the gently caress does the coolant go through the bumper? To burn pedestrians?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4258698259.html

quote:

What you're looking at is a LEGEND. This is no squeeky, rickity old HEEP or 'posh' MALL ROVER that breaks down when the going gets tough.

This is the ORIGINAL WORLD FAMOUS 80 series TOYOTA LAND CRUISER. The 1991 FJ80. Or as the Japanese like to call it, RANDO KURUZA! That is no joke. Just saying that name stirs up GODZILLA so you should probably GTFO of the way because it might just RUN OVER your little Suzuki Samu-what without even knowing it.

Driving in this will make your chest hair grow longer and bald spots more fertile than the Idaho potato farms. The first mullet haired maiden you look at will marry you and you will have not one off-spring but TWINS because that is the price RANDO KURUZA would ask from you.

Do you know what the ENTIRE freaking African Sahara, Congo, Kalahari and everything worth its salt on the PLANET drives when they just HAVE to get somewhere? You got that right it, Jenny, they ride the hill crushing LAND CRUISER.

The LAND CRUISER does not have time for the word "CAN'T" when it's busy chasing billy goats down the Himalayan mountains, or casually crunching over male Lion dung out in the bush, hunting some water buffalo with the driver's torso bouncing out of that man sized sun roof. MAN sized sun roof. Is there an echo? And it even has a ROOF RACK so you can tie that beast down when you're done fiddling around with your rifle and posing next to your trophy "4-Wheeler." Because real MEN don't POSE. They DO. And you will TOO, when you shift the transfer case into 'HI' with your clammy little pedicured feet on that throttle pedal.

And when your rich buddies are soaking in the rain waiting for a tow truck to haul their MALL ROVER RISK-Oh 2 for the 5th time this month, you can drive up and laugh at their expense for 23 minutes then tell them to get back in the CAVERNOUS 3rd ROW DUNCE seats because 2nd row is for your dog and anything smarter.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is some kind of "beater" or "hoopty." When GODZILLA took a dump after eating half of Tokyo, what do you think was left to fight him? Not the faded vinyl camo wrap falling off from the monster's stomach acid. Think harder, Trudy. It was the 4700 pound BRUTE FORCE ON 4 WHEELS pounding Godzilla's intestines with the thunder of 155 HORSES from that indestructible 4-liter 6 cylinder Sabre Tooth Tiger crammed inside its ladder frame. That's what. Just turning the ignition makes Godzilla belch PLASMA FLAMES uncontrollably from indigestion thinking of that day.

Did you get that 'little' detail? This is FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, not some piddly little part time wannabe that you can 'pop' into 4-low and pretend to go off-roading in your independently sprung twigs you call a suspension. This California's nightmare rides on SOLID AXLES only, so you better not high center that bulbous diff case on a rock or you'll get a 54mm socket smashed on the back of the neck because you forgot your hi-lift jack. This is not some cushy crossover car-based leather bag you're too scared to drive in the rain. This is the real deal. Do you think you can handle that, Cletus?

You know how to contact me. It's that little thing up there that says REPLY. It's that obvious.

Do it, or you will die regretting never having the honor of driving a REAL MANLY MAN OFF-ROAD TRUCK.

** And yes, the plates and inspection sticker are up to date. It shifts and runs like it's supposed to. A/C & Heat work. It has 4 brand new Falken A/T tires. It will drive to Greenland if you can pay a ferry to take you there. How you get back will be another story.

If you feel you're up for some nature wrangling, $2400 or your best offer is what it takes.

Come look at the truck before drawing any conclusions. I am selling because I need cash asap for a house, and without the shelter of a garage I have no more time to service the Land Cruiser.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its the S10 blazer right? Or the K5?

I thought the S10 was a unibody, but I could be wrong.

S10/blazer/Sonoma/S15 Jimmy was full frame.
I think the Trailblazer was unibody.

Edit: Wikipedia implies hat the first-gen Trailblazer was unibody by stating that the second-gen "returns to the roots of General Motors' classic body-on-frame SUV's that the first-generation TrailBlazer abandoned. As is the case with the original Chevrolet Blazer (1969-1994), Tahoe (1995-present), Suburban (1935–present), S10-based Blazer (1983-2005), the TrailBlazer will be based on a pickup truck chassis, in this case the 2012 Chevrolet Colorado."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

I don't know if everyone caught this gem..

"I can go over 60 in 4th, no problem"

Guys, this is a seriously fast car here.

also: "Also has vtech turbo and an aftermarket air intake. It has boost gauges."

WTF is a "vtech turbo"? Does this guy really believe he has some sort of turbocharger?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

That's a Subie, unless I'm being whooshed?

Looks like it to me.
FWIW, my '78 Fiat 128 also had the spare tire under the hood.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Because who wouldn't want to haul 5000 pound loads with a 4 cylinder 5-speed?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

keykey posted:

This is the most glorious thing to have ever came out of the local craigslist:

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/4335312495.html

OK, that's it - I have to build something like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Citycop posted:

So this is pretty AI.

$11,500 negotiable.

1973 Ford Country Squire Wagon, built as tow car.
Straight axle with disc brakes in front / Dana 60 with duals in back.
390 engine;wood painted on;American flag across roof.$11,500 negotiable
419)304-4040,Oh.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/country_squire/1610877.html

Not gonna lie, that's completely awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

240s are built like tanks but I think they are still about 5.5 tons short of the GVWR exemption :v:

That's an "or", not an "and". I had to go back and read it again myself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

The obvious solution here is to drop the screamingest engine you can find and everything else CARB would be mad at into a diesel Volvo 240.

455 in an '80s diesel Olds, Cutlass or Delta 88, your choice. I know of people who have done this, and for this reason.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4389118468.html

I assume the $169,500 is a typo, but it sure looks like a lot of fun.

Nice car, but $17K? I mean, I'm sorry you spent $40k building it it, but that's because you used a Turn Key engines crate LS1. There is literally nothing else custom about the interior or exterior, though it is in very nice condition. Also, your "custom" wheels are Impala SS stock wheels with Olds decals in the center caps.

I dunno, maybe my $$ meter is broken -I'm a cheap bastard. I do love that wagon, though. They were decent even with the LT1. I would drive it every day (can't get worse gas mileage than my 4-banger XJ, and I bet it will tow and haul more...)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, man I wish I had $7K right now...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Valt posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here but at least in Texas you can certainly find out if the vehicle has been reported stolen.

First step in getting a bonded title in TX is to do a title search with the state. Costs $5 or so, and you get the title history of the car. Then you send a registered letter to the last known address of record, so, yeah, you get the name and address of the previous owner(s). (If you get no response, you can register the car is yours with a bonded title, paying a % of the value as the bonding fee. Bonded title becomes a real title in 5 or 7 years, I forget which. Pretty easy, though it's easier still to use one of the title washing companies in Hemmings, who usually just register it in a state that only requires a bill of sale.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Man, I can't even find any Festivas on CL in N. Tx, and here's this sonuvabitch practically giving away one, and with some apparently rare goodies. I've kind of wanted one since I had to drive my brother-in-law's years ago when he borrowed our van. I had gangs of fun hustling that little roller-skate around. Sadly, he traded it in without telling me...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Is it wrong to want this? It sounds like it's not even running, but I like the idea.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4753729697.html

Boy, that'll really confuse people.
I'm a little upset that he disassembled a running FC convertible for it. Just use a common coupe, man!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Gotta say I like the Vista Cruiser roof, but overall the van fails, because the rear seats don't fold into a bed.

e: Holy crap, Sperglord! Can't wait to hear about it. Hell, I'd pay $2K for that even without the hot-rod engine. That's a primo piece of '80s.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 13, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I do indeed have the stacks of hundreds, but I am burning a CD of Miami Nights 1984, Starcadian, Kavinsky, and Lazerhawk.

Perfect.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KingFisher posted:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4768154067.html

goons If I were to buy, what would you put in this?

twincharged ZZ4 with the turbo remotely located in place of the muffler?

Ecotec from a Cobalt SS/Ion Redline in honor of the 2.5L 4-banger they put in the base models back in '82.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Found this in related videos over in Awesome Car Stuff, then found the auction it was made for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol8bzv-894&t=135s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291321908312?forcerRptr=true&item=291321908312&viewitem=&autorefresh=true

I couldn't leave it that nasty, or with the broken interior, but the turbo would stay right where it is.
Conroe is only 300 miles away, but I barely have $25 at the moment, much less $2500, which seems slightly high to me anyway.
So... anyone want to buy my '90 RX-7 and a bunch of first-gen RX-7s and parts? (Not all of them, just the extras. Yes, I have extra cars - they kept following me home. This IS AI, remember.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PhoenixWing posted:

I really like Skylines, but, who does he think is going to buy this for $16K? It's legally unregisterable, not a GT-R, and looks like it's been thrashed. $16K could get you a really nice 'Vette, or even an FD3S RX7.

It'll be legal in Texas in 2016. Still wouldn't pay $16k for it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NinjaTech posted:

I still don't get how people take such terrible and useless pictures.

I know, right? It used to be that you could blame cheap film and digital cameras with crappy viewfinders, but pretty much every digital camera and smartphone *shows you* the picture you are taking!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

had a 6 speed and LS1 motor, two thousand bucks please :downs:
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/cto/4885040518.html

It's a *real WS6* (minus all the stuff that made it a WS6...)

edit: and if he can get $2K for that pile of nothing, does that mean I can get at least that for my looks rough but running, driving, reliable '90 RX-7? I need to fund some other projects, and I never drive it any more.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

Dude. I had settled on getting a new Focus hatchback with a 5-speed but this is seriously giving me a Gollum moment fighting with myself. One of you needs to buy it and keep it away from me so I can quit going nuts trying to tell me a Focus would be better... which it is, but goddrat look at this classy piece of poo poo. Someone please buy it and keep it away from me.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/4901254272.html

Hobbitses.

I like this one, factory tow package with hidden hitch and 15x8 GM truck wheels:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4877201204.html

Blue leather, and the Vista roof! I wonder if it's got the rear-facing 3rd seat?
I don't know if I'd pay $4800, but that's a pretty nice wagon. It would probably do everything my Cherokee does, and be faster, more comfortable, and get better gas mileage.

edit: typos, and timg'd the pic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I present to you the world's worst LS swap. 240SX gets a mid-engine LS but cutting out the structure of the 240 and slamming in a GM subframe.

Nothing about this is done well, correctly, or properly.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5178652210.html

I thought the thing was on jack stands. Nope! True 4x4 status.
What and incredible hack job. Couldn't even get the wheel centered in the opening, and those strut tower tops are not going to stay where they are for long.
I love the idea, but the execution is problematic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Looks like a solid $2k to me

It's worth MAYBE whatever the engine/trans is worth. Everything else has been destroyed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5184013158.html

Never saw one of these around here. Looks interesting.... Lots of rust though

Oh, wow. I had one of those as my first car, a '78. A friend rolled it over, and certain parts went to live on in a Fiat X1/9 (same basic drivetrain, but in the rear.)
No rust on mine!

Sheet-metal is actually pretty hefty, for a little thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The other stuff is just ricey. This, this is a failure to understand how... well, anything works. For gently caress's sake, there are speaker grilles just in front of where he hacked near-irreplaceable plastics...

e: I assume the plastics are rare-ish.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 8, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Is... that the windows from an extended-cab Nissan installed in the bed sides?

Fo3 posted:

I didn't know they called the rx5 a cosmo over there, I thought it was only called that for JDM models. Or that they were made in 74 (I thought they started in 75).
They sold a few piston versions (called a 121) so panels shouldn't be impossible to get, but then again most of those probably went in the crusher.
I've been in a few (rx5s and piston 121s), personally I find them a bit too big and heavy for a rotary.

On the bright side, there's that youtuber in canada (I think?), that's restoring one and maybe they have spare parts.

Yeah, Canada: aaroncake on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06C7C4B54765998D
He's had to do a lot of rust work, and it's not going to be remotely stock. He's videoing the build. Not quite up to binky levels, but lots of details and bad puns/"that's what she said" humor. It's on hiatus, due to him losing his (rented) shop, and buying a house.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I would love a 240z, (e: can't even find a hotwheels version!)

From a few weeks ago, but:
There was a 240/260Z Hot Wheel in the '70s, but you're in luck - they just released a new casting this year.

1977: Z-Whiz: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Z-Whiz

2015: Nissan Fairlady Z: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Nissan_Fairlady_Z

I don't know what the Hot Wheels situation is in Oz, but I bet eBay could help. I've already found one of the 2015 New Release versions (and own an original Z-Whiz, for that matter.)

Fake edit:
There was also a casting released in 2006, and re-released right up to 2015: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Datsun_240Z
Stock-bodied, rather than the wheel-arch flares on the 2015 new release. The 2015 version has an early nose/bumper, while the other two, it's later? US? I'm not a Z-car expert.

rocket_350 posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/cambridge/1970-cutlass-wagon-flat-top/1072327980?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The now seldom seen Cutlass wagon. A different body than the Vista Cruiser - shorter wheelbase and no skyroof.

I would pay US$2000 for that, which is like, what, CA$4500? Unfortunately, I'm in Texas, so that's a bit of a drive, plus Customs, don't have a passport, etc.
Ah, well. I should spend money on my '70 Cutlass post coupe instead, anyway. also, I have no money, so there's that.

actual edit: Hell, I would send you one of the new ones if I find another, providing shipping and customs isn't a nightmare to navigate. No duty/VAT if it's a gift, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Those are stock XJ wheels, almost zero chance it's anything but stock axles. So... $300 worth of axles, maximum, unless one or two of the rear ones are dana 44s which is extremely unlikely. Even with two dana 44s in the back, it's no more than $700 worth of axles.

Also I don't even want to know what's going on under there, because there's no way there is enough space under the back of an XJ for the driveshaft and transfer case skullduggery needed to get both of the rear axles driven.

They do appear to have used a 2-door rear side window and body side to lengthen it, which would be the way I would do it.

Found this while looking for doritos-on-a-stick stuff:

Yeah, that's sure an $1800 car there. I don't feel too bad about what I'm wanting to ask for my rough-ish FC now.
Bonus points for posting a car/dealer that's in North Carolina in the Dallas, TX Craigslist.

edit:
Just looked at the guy's website. He wants $2300 for this:

edit 2:
Missed the "click for more":

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 29, 2016