Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Dang. I will send her a text anyways and ask whats wrong with it.

Am I missing something that suggests that there is even really a car for sale? I just figured that everything in the ad was completely made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Seriously, I would deal with having to change those doors back to stock if the price was right. It can't be any worse than anything else that might need restoring in that car considering the poor taste of the PO.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

This looks amazing. I would drive the poo poo out of that.

Nothing could ever drive the poo poo out of that.

1st Edition ADandD posted:

I'm not sure there's enough airflow through the truck grill for the Grand Am's ram air to work. I wonder if he's reprogrammed the ECU for that.

Do you really... have to wonder?

This really is the kind of project that is worthy of a full article, photo spread, and owner interview because I would really love the most detailed explanation I could get as to why this thing even exists.

He mentions twice that the A/C needs freon as if to drive home the point that this is literally the only thing wrong with the car. No pictures of the interior of the cab which is what I guess would be the whole reason behind this endeavor. Also, it's a vehicle that drives so great and could be a DD but you better come pick it up yourself because it's as is, where is. :wtf:

Also, how does the title on that vehicle work? It's titled as an International because it has an International cab haphazardly welded in the middle of a completely different car? It that right?

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 22, 2012

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

"Please note that the front bumper is cracked (see picture)"

*no picture of the front bumper*

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Gonna go check this out later today.
http://salem.craigslist.org/ctd/3039887662.html

Anyone want to place bets on what's terribly wrong with it?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Yes, I keep 10 million tabs open at all times.

I keep debating whether or not to dip my toe into the Merc pool but then I hear all these terrible things about every single model ever and then I go hug my E34 for being so reliable.

If I absolutely have to get a Mercedes and want to remain sane, what models should I be looking at?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

quote:

very minimal body damage

Oh thank god, it's only minimal body damage! :v:

quote:

The tires and rims were bought in 2010 but I did not drive it for quite some time so they are like new.

Are these tires flat spotted? Only a $10,000 roll of the dice and you can be sure!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Network42 posted:

This could be legitimate gold or a massive retarded moneypit, I can't decide!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3245174998.html

Read the ad over again, 325i motor, retarded moneypit.

So am I missing something or did they swap a 2.5i6 and M3 tranny into a 318i and then put an M3 engine cover onto the 2.5 because having an M3 tranny makes it "M POWER"?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

assfucker420 posted:

I hate the E36 and everyone that owns one.

They really do have a reputation of being a "that guy" car. Hell, Breaking Bad used one to complete the douchebag image of this guy in this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GI4rwSqrEk

I really do want to like them though. Maybe I just need to stop caring so much what other people think.

:edit: E36 hoods open the wrong way. Deal breaker right there. :v:

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 7, 2012

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Haters gonna hate but even though there's gotta be a million things wrong with this car for this price, I would let it do terrible things to my wallet even though it is an autotragic.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3271812113.html

:edit: I'm not going to lie, I'm tempted to go check it out now. Mostly, so I can easily talk myself out of it when I see what a disaster it really is.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 10, 2012

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

That Sirocco is ugly as hell but if all that poo poo is easily undo-able, I'd buy it.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Did you check it out? I would love to get a 190e.

I want to but I'm just far enough away to make it a waste of time if I didn't buy it. I'm gonna be honest, I mostly posted it because I hoped a goon would bite.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Truly a great car. Perhaps the greatest car... But do you think you can handle it???

I kind of hooked up with a woman who bought one of these new and has put very few miles on it. I know these cars deserve all sorts of derision but in really good condition are they at least somewhat AI worthy or are they complete crap?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Its the same thing as a Mitsubishi 3000GT. The R/T is actually decently fast but it's FF layout. 6.0 0-60 / 14.5 quater mile according to the venerable Thunderbird Super Coupe Club of Iowa. Those are actually some pretty good numbers if correct.

I always kinda pegged them as sub par in the world mid-ninties sport compacts for some reason, though.

Yeah, I heard that the R/T was worth it but the fact that it's FWD is just laughable.

The car is just way too big and bulky to compete with real FWD competitors like the ITR et al.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

It also has luxury and comfort features, the ITR is a stripped down economy car.

The ITR is also widely considered the best FWD car of all time.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Ontario is loving stupid about stuff like this. They find out you've been to a trackday (even as just an HPDE day) say goodbye to your insurance. If they find that you autocross, say goodbye to your insurance. You modify your car and don't declare the modifications to your insurance, you'll be dropped. Hell, I had I switch insurance companies as a result of putting in a roll bar on the miata, as the insurance company wouldn't allow it. The only modifications they allow were different wheels, provided the wheels had winter tires on them, and were only used between November - May. Otherwise, you had to have your stock wheels on.

gently caress Ontario insurance.

So they won't let you add a safety feature to your car that keeps you from dying a horrible death in a rollover?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

You know what, even if those pictures are being really overly generous or if all it has going for it is that it looks good...

...that is how you sell a car.

I hate all the CL ads with one stupid small picture taken on a camera phone from 10 years ago or no picture or "here's a stock photo of what it COULD look like".

Also, if that was anywhere near me it would already be mine.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

1979 Lincoln Mark V Classic Car - $18500

Howabout almost twenty grand, in cash, for a huge old Lincoln with no power?

That interior looks like poo poo.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

How about gently caress lovely 70s/80s economy car brown cars.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1010_steve_bashfords_1978_amc_pacer_wagon/

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Lowclock posted:

(If it's a manual transmission) Why not just put an M60B40 in it? The engines are identical except for the intake manifold and of course displacement. From what I've read, you can even use your stock computer without reprogramming.

Are you sure about this? I have an 1995 E34 530i DD and a 1994 E34 540i with a bad transmission. Are you telling me that I really can just switch out engines and that's that?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Lowclock posted:

Not even, the B30 and B40 use the exact same software. The 530i will only have the middle-sized diff and trans, but they live fine behind modded M3s and stuff and shouldn't matter at all. Yes it is just that simple!

Thanks for the info. I think might be causing me to catch a case of Auto Insanity over here, lord help me.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The diff should be fine. BMW diffs are pretty loving strong. Hell even the small ones are pretty beefy, so there shouldn't be much to worry about.

What kind of transmission do you have? Auto or stick?

Maybe a few connectors might be different, but I doubt it, so if you can snag the wiring harness. unless its a shitload more money.

Unfortunately, they're both automatics. I've looked locally and can't find a 6 speed, online I've found one for about 2 grand.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

That is real gold.

:edit:
And this is a steaming trainwreck.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3709420911.html

I love how all the "omg rare M3 parts" is just body stuff.

quote:

1987 BMW 325i Convertible M3 project - $2500 (albany)

Up for sale is my E30 M3 convertible project. Last summer this was my daily driver, a few months back I purchased a wrecked e30 M3 shell and used the parts for this project. M3 rear quarter panels have already welded on and front fenders have been put on. You can drive this project home. I no longer have room for it, so it has to go. The M3 parts are not cheap, and very hard to source. I will not part anything out at this point.

1987 325i Convertible
clean oregon title
2.5L M20, Automatic
Completely Stock when i got it
250K miles
Runs and drives great. Was my daily driver for a while, and i drove it do Eugene and portland all the time.
brand new: timing belt, water pump, belts, hoses, coolant sensor, front brake pads, all with receipts
interior needs a little work. fronts seats are split at bolsters etc.

All OEM e30 m3 parts:

Rear quarters (already welded on)
front fenders (drivers side is a little rough, but totally fixable)
Side Skirts
Rear Bumper
Front bumper (needs lots of work)
some other various pieces

also have a wingless trunk lid with no holes

Would be interested in a trade. Maybe a solid daily driver E30 or a motorcycle. But would entertain other offers as well.

call or text anytime

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 6, 2013

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love how "no more room, must sell" quickly turns into "will take another car in trade". Its basically him admitting he hosed up and wants a do-over.

That's exactly it and it's hilarious.

quote:

Runs and drives great. Was my daily driver for a while, and i drove it do Eugene and portland all the time.

quote:

Would be interested in a trade. Maybe a solid daily driver E30

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

keykey posted:

It doesn't, because it's a bullshit excuse for having a salvage title. I drove my car to the theater and drove it through a wall crumpling it in the process, anyway, we took it home and straightened it out and it now has a salvage title! But we don't know how!

It's such an extraordinarily bullshit excuse though that the only type of person it would fool would be someone who has no idea what a salvage title is and wouldn't even know to ask in the first place. I guess it kind of works in the way that it makes so little sense that it actually fucks with your brain for a second before you realize that it's obviously bullshit.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

That's the exact car I picture in my mind when I listen to "No Vaseline".

http://rapgenius.com/Ice-cube-no-vaseline-lyrics#note-24473

"The Nissan Datsun B210 Sunny is an ugly rear end subcompact car from the 70s with a high fuel economy, known for being cheap. This is the type of car that MC Ren used to drive when he was poor, as Ice Cube remembers."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I saw this on my way home. I really want to know now if the sign tells truth or not.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Too bad about the automatic but it does look really nice. The thing that really bugs me when I look at old BMWs though is when they've replace the factory radio with some $80 JVC head unit or something. It looks so out of place, it makes me cringe.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

YES

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Sinestro posted:

There are 5 different, really nice BMW 2002s on my local craigslist for cheap.

They are all '76s. :smithicide:

I don't know 2002s well enough. What's bad about `76s?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/4023425427.html

1989 BMW 750iL E32 Parts Car or Fix Transmission - $500 (Central Point)

Somebody buy this and put the engine in a 3/5 series. Thanks in advance.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 25, 2013

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Crustashio posted:

For content, have a 26 year old 7 series with a 16 year old asking price.

For $10,000, I would buy a really nice, clean E38. That E32 isn't even low mileage or anything.

shoopeach posted:

Did someone say e36 LSx swap?

"pride and joy" :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

...you're looking at a cammed/mild build LS3 with ITBs, a Vorshlag mount kit, clean shell, etc etc. I wouldn't pay that kind of money but...

Yeah, I should have taken a closer look to realize that it's more finished than I thought it was. $16,000 for somebody else's unfinished project that's not at all to my taste though... I can see why it's HIS pride and joy but I don't have to like it. :colbert:

It is pretty cool though.