Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

An Actual Bear posted:

I'd be willing to give it a try, I'm one of the few that thinks 2 is the best in the series. I'd need to get a HD Capture Card and do some practice runs to see if it's viable to do it with voice commentary, but we'll see.

And yes the ending is certainly a thing.

I was actually considering a FEAR 2 LP after my last one. People are right to call it incredibly generic and semi boring, but considering I've done Black Ops and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter so far, it seems sort of up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Dark Id posted:

Hey I'm just taking a break. I'm not out of the game. :smith:

It's all about what you've done for me lately and there is a distinct lack of old PS2 RPGs in this subforum.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Niggurath posted:

Lazyfire did an LP of Black Ops (and I was fairly sure he had posted a thread of it but the only one listed in the master list was listed as 'Ongoing' even though I thought it had finished), but here is the link to the youtube playlist for it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC782593AFD270F07 . Maybe at some point he'll do BLOPS 2, but I think right now he's LP'ing Modern Warfare 3 on here right now; so who knows when it might be.

The LP is done, for some reason I never got around to asking either the BLOPS or Ghost Recon LPs I did to be put in the archive.

If you interested in seeing Modern Warfare 3 check out Pythonicus and Grayfawks LP here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530073

The guys also did a Modern Warfare 2 LP and are possibly going back to MW1 at some point.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Niggurath posted:

Try to give this sweet nugget a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZz8Ua0ossE (from the Treasure Master LP)

Everyone should watch the Treasure Master LP, if for nothing else than to see how insanely difficult they made that game. There are points in the game I couldn't believe it wasn't some really advanced Mario ROM hack or something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Amppelix posted:

The OP has had to resort to double posting updates now, so even though there's only three of them so far I'm going to have to recommend Yoshi's Island by Double Date. It's a four-person commentary and they have fun group dynamics. Additionally two of the commentators have very little experience with the game which is rare in these days so their reactions to the game can be pretty fun. It's really a pretty good laid back LP and it makes me feel bad that there's like seven posts in the thread so far.

Huh, I didn't even notice they went and did the thread. They had posted to the Sandcastle a couple times asking for advice, but never mentioned that they went live with it.

For actual recommendations, KlaxonZombie's Ratchet and Clank LP is entertaining and interesting. I never played the game even though I had a PS2 when the series stared so had no idea what it was about until now. There's some interesting discussion through the LP (so far) of the mechanics of this game vs. later games and how dated the first game feels despite the HD remake they are playing looking pretty good.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bozart posted:

I'd like to recommend Ghost Recon: Future Soldier to anyone in the mood for a coop shooter. LazyFire and Psion have a great chemistry, the game is buggy and fun to watch, and I'll follow it up with a request:

are there good Let's Play's of co-op horde mode, like in the last few videos of GR:FS or multiplayer Mass Effect 3?

This is borderline because I am involved with the GRFS LP, but Psion has a good collection of ME3 videos on his YouTube page. No commentary or anything, but they are interesting nonetheless. Despite my dislike of Horde modes I would love to see some Horde mode megathread that covered Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty and all the other franchises that had one, even if it was one video per game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

For anyone who was interested in the game and never got to play it there is an ongoing LP of Breakdown. Breakdown is probably most famous for being a 1st person only hand to hand combat focused game that could be incredibly hard.

If you haven't been following, it is a dual commentary LP by two guys who have played the game in the past, and the playthrough itself is pretty skilled. The commentary is both funny and informative, but heavily leans towards the latter.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Like all LP groups and the Dark ID they all died.

Now that I think of it, what happened to Tipping 40's as well? I thought there was some forums drama there but never fully understood if that was the case or if they just burnt out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lunethex posted:

I say this tentatively but The Dark Id isn't "dead" so to speak.

Couldn't help with that one, it is a Sandcastle joke to say he died at this point because new people will come in there asking what happened to him because he hasn't made a thread since his PS2 died.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Dark Id posted:

As a confirmed ghost I find this misinformation highly slanderous.

You're not my real ghost dad, you can't tell me what to do!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you are looking for LPs done by women, don't forget Malorie's subtitle LP of Alone in The Dark I enjoyed it when it was first running and it holds up really well.

On another note: If you aren't watching kalonZombie's LP of Lollipop Chainsaw you need to go fix that. Pretty much all the hallmarks of a good LP like game knowledge and a good skill level are apparent, but you also get a good back and forth between Kalon and Ape who have done a number of LPs together in the past and they bring on guests who for the first four or five videos get to marvel at how absolutely insane the game can be. If you want to just see the story you can power through everything now, but the thread is now tackling Hard Mode. Also, KC Green may or may not be the guest on the latest episode.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gatz posted:

A video lp of those games? That would take so loving long and be boring as hell to watch, unless you're just having it on as background noise. I've played those games to death and that is just not a good idea.

Yeah, games with a ton of dialog, tons of repetitive fights/quests and such really do lend themselves to SSLP over a VLP because it is easier to excise repetitive content from episode to episode. A good example: Fallout 2. Actually, all the Fallout games in the archives are Screenshot, and I somehow doubt that is a coincidence.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You know, there was this whole discussion over narrative LPs the other day, as in, a player creating a narrative around the LP from the perspective of the player character beyond what the game presents. If you are looking for that sort of thing I don't think there is a better immediate example than TTSoAC. That or the "Freeman Of the Wastes" Fallout 3 LP I've posted about here in the past.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you like the Arkham Asylum LP, take a look at The Man With a Hat's Dead Space LP. Super knowledgeable, all subtitle so the atmosphere of the game is pretty well maintained an just overall a high effort LP of a game with a lot of surprising depth.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nidoking posted:

And which probably no longer exist online, except for the one that I uploaded to Youtube because Viddler wasn't working that day. I should reupload them all to Youtube, but there won't be any links to them from the thread or the LP archive, so it's never seemed worth the trouble.

You could contact Baldurk, he's generally willing to go and edit the archive entry in case of broken links or updated video host stuff.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

Christ this reminded me that I need to get the info posts on Call of Duty 1 polished off so I can submit it to baldurk.

You mentioned Call of duty, I kind of hoped you would do Call of Duty: World at War Co-op for your next LP. Two missions would have to be single player only, but the rest of the game can be done with up to four people.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

I certainly haven't ruled that out, but CoD1 was about 200% more work than I had originally thought, and there was a lot more interest in the CoD1 thread for me to do CoD2 next. I will probably revisit the Call of Duty games, as the earlier ones have a soul in them that I think was seriously lost shortly after the transition to becoming a modern shooter. Modern Warfare 1 had some really good moments, but anything after that is just iconic of what Yahtzee terms 'spunk-gargle-wee-wee'.

Also I wasn't even aware World at War was on PC until the CoD1 thread, so I have to play that initially too! :v:

Yeah, the last few CoD games have been pretty rote (save for Black Ops 2 that polished the typical gameplay with multiple endings and some player choices), and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to LP them. The best thing you can say about the games these days is that they are short.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^This reminds me that I need to recommend your and nine gear crow's ongoing LP of Shadows of the Empire. I played it a ton as a kid and I didn't realize how sort of ahead of its time it was in that era. It uses elements of shooters, platformers, racing games, turret sections, arcade flight games and more. The LPers have good chemistry and a central theme of the LP is the lore behind the game, which is contradictory at best, completely different from one medium to the other at the worst. a solid watch/read.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, he cuts out a lot of the really dull mining stuff, and does some really impressive builds, but it does sometimes get a little complicated with mechanics and redstone and stuff. It might be worth checking out some of the other stuff he's done though, the adventure maps and a lot of the other games he does are fine though, and it's the first thing that jumps to my mind if someone wants minecraft appropriate for kids.

This is getting into the territory of non-LP forum stuff, but Etho has started doing this fake scream waaaaayyy too often. It bugs me, but I can also see it being the sort of thing a small child would latch on to and start doing at the drop of a hat.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Teddybear posted:

I kinda hope that Geop does AC:Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3 someday, because he really does a job on 'em, but he's doing Last of Us right now. I don't think I've seen an LP of any of the three on the forums.

There's not an LP of any of them here, and I can understand that. Each game is a major task, I think the AC2 LP took nearly a year and included every side mission, DLC and of course, a half dozen or so history lessons. They are a massive undertaking if you want to show off everything and treat the historical setting properly.

Geop made several allusions to an upcoming Brotherhood LP in the AC2 videos, but nothing ever surfaced and I wonder if part of the reason no one else has stepped up is because people thing Geop has dibs on the game or something when we all know trying to claim games or believing someone has an automatic first shot at a game is dumb.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Skippy Granola posted:

Did you know

that Sundowner is a cool guy who is doing a good LP of Bioshock: Infinite?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566891

It's pretty far along in the story and he's way better at the game than I am.

The only downside is that he can take pretty long breaks between episodes. I think there was a three week gap between the last two episodes and we're in another three week gap again.

In the scheme of things it is kind of a minor problem, there are plenty of episodes up already and they are definitely worth watching if you want to see Infinite done by someone who clearly loves the game and knows it well.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dazzling Addar posted:

I'd like to second this, it's a very nicely done informative runthrough of an interesting game that gives a lot of historical background on the time period. It's reminiscent of Research Indicates' Trespasser, except you get facts about 11th century monarchs and battles instead of dinosaurs.

The AC2 LP is even better, by all accounts. Gameplay videos have some really nicely done history lessons about the locations Ezio visits or climbs and these are supplemented by longer explorations of some topics related to stuff in the game or characters or background. Add to this that Geop does really well considering the controls of the AC games have a few issues. I watched through the entire thing even though I had played the game back when it came out because of those factors.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

NeilPerry posted:

I kind of like TB, except for when he pisses on a game for not having enough option settings. I get where he's coming from but that instantly makes the game terrible and inexcusable for him somehow.

Well, I mean, half of every gameplay video he did for a while was him playing around with options, so the developers were giving him less to work with by restricting options.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gatz posted:

This is probably right up your alley: http://lparchive.org/Cold-Fear/

Yep, that's a great one for in depth game knowledge as the LPer just completely deconstructs the game and shows off how monsters appear, where scripting kicks in and a ton of little things you wouldn't think of. I think I mention this any time someone has a question on game design in LPs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Turtlicious posted:

Would watching a Dark Souls LP take all the fun out of it? I'm incredibly bad at this game and have real problems when I attempt to play it. I'd love to watch an LP just because I think I'm going to burn out before I get past the first "part."

Not really. I've seen a couple at this point and if anything they are handy guides on builds and strategies rather than "This is the way you have to do this thing to progress, here's a video with a bunch of story" or something. Dark Souls is one of those games where you are probably going to approach it differently than someone else. I say watch what you want and pull some information from the people you watch, but play the game as well so you can see just how difficult things can be.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was thinking it would be kind of cool to see a bunch of people do a segmented Dark Souls run where someone starts a run, plays the character for a set number of hours or through a section and then sends the save off to someone else to continue from where they left off. Basically, you would have to live with the decisions the person before you made. Maybe they leveled up a weapon you aren't really good with, or they spent all their souls to increase intelligence for a character that never uses magic or went somewhere they weren't really leveled up for.

Then I went looking for where the game saves to on a PC this morning and couldn't find the files, so I don't know how realistic that idea is now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scurvykip's Xenosaga LP is at 24 videos and pretty good, and I've had it on in the background for housework and stuff.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ScurvyKip posted:

Looks like I need to update the OP then... Whoops.

Wait, how far into it are you? I've only been watching sporadically, so I'm not to episode 18 yet.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

frozentreasure posted:

There was also one started by Gatz, which also fell into archives. I recommend that one, though I don't have the link handy.

This is a good an opportunity as any to mention that Gatz is a really solid LPer who I think sort of sneaks in under the radar at times. He's currently conquering the unconquerable with Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, a game that has had at least four LPs die on the vine, and did a few other Vampire games previously.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Geop posted:

Note: Links to completed LPs in the archive would be appreciated, to make this easier to throw together! Also, a brief summary of the LP's strengths or why it should be watched. ie:
Game Name by Goongoon - This LP was good because etc etc

I have a couple that probably won't be listed by other people:

Atmospheric:
Giragast's Cold Fear LP is something I constantly recommend to people as it's not only a really well done subtitled LP, but has a set of Extreme mode videos and the LPer basically takes the game apart to show you the tricks and methods the developers used to make the game do what it does, which is pretty unique.

The Man With a Hat's Dead Space LP is another subtitled LP of a horror game that works incredibly well and done by someone who clearly loves the game and knows it inside and out.

Co-Op

WanderinNewbie's Demon's Souls LP with Taoto sees two people take on a famously difficult game and bend it to their will while taking requests from the thread on weapons and equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I want to point out that my Battlefield 4 LP isn't in the archives yet, it's still in process, actually, so that may have to get updated in the future.

• Locked thread