Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

HolHorsejob posted:

How do you deal with things that are painted shut? In this house, some idiot way back when painted everything without tape, including several wood-frame windows and the loving gas shutoff valve for some reason. I'd like to be able to open windows and shut off the gas.

Stanley knife down the edges to break the paint, rubber mallet or prybar to persuade it open, expect to repair & touchup the paint afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Electroplating tends to be really thin so yes, what you see is what you'll get.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

redreader posted:

I've got a wooden shed that has really weak doors/lock and was pried open a couple of years ago in the middle of the night while we were asleep, nothing was stolen. I'm setting up a gym in there so there'll be some stuff now. I want to set up some kind of super basic home alarm system for something like motion detection -> siren alarm. I'd use a clicker to turn it on and off, I suppose. I'm fine with it being just plugged into the power supply. I don't have internet in there and wifi probably can't reach. So just:

-Siren
-Motion detector
-IR (or whatever) clicker on/off, I can put this outside
-optional blinking light to indicate armed
-Can plug into the wall.
-dumb i.e. no internet

I live in the USA.

Don't know about the US but here in the UK you can buy a dedicated shed or garage alarm that runs on batteries or mains with a sensor and keypad for like £15:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0781ZTCS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8lE6EbKQGMS6W just Google shed alarm wireless?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sounds awesome, post a video

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Hmm, maybe. The spring is attached at the top of the chassis and pulls the lever up. I could detach it from the top, add in some extra piece to allow the spring to connect lower down. Like a tiny keychain, or a sturdy piece of wire bent into a ring with pliers.

The magnet has become weaker, it happens. Weakening another post of the mechanism to compensate is a bad idea. If you can't replace the electromagnet or make it stronger ditch the toaster.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What's the best way to mount a rubber duck head like a hunting trophy?

Hot glue? Super glue? It's not heavy or anything so pretty much any method will work

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sylink posted:

I have a garden and currently I'm expanding it. However, the one available spigot is not near where this garden has to be due to terrain etc on the property. So basically I have to run like 400 feet of garden hose just to reach it, which is annoying to deal with.

Is there a DIY option that isn't laying a proper underground line out to this area? Its about 300 feet from the house proper. And pretty level to get there from the house. Maybe something like a shallowly buried PVC line with hookups on each end ( maybe 6 inches deep) that would only be used for warm weather and disconnected in the freezing periods ?

What's the proper version in your mind? Because it sounds like the difference might be depth of trench and material, and if you're digging a 6" trench to half rear end it with $30 of materials when the proper job is (guessing) 18" / $100 is just do it right the first time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You need a train/drip trim, usually for outside doors but maybe it'll do the job here?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nevets posted:

Very friendly, it's even in their name: Stay Please

I love this.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Couldn't find the audio thread, using small words can anyone say whether I can splice these into the door speaker wiring of my Panda? It doesn't have tweeters at the moment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally I'd say reverse the painting so you can touch up any bits you aren't happy with after the professionals have been through.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dietrich posted:

Contemplating building some built-ins on either side of my fireplace in my family room where there are 61" by 28" alcoves. The current plan is to get four 30"x24" assembled base cabinets from home depot or whatever and install them on the floor, put a wood counter-top of some sort above them, and then build four 30"x12" book cases to mount on top of these base cabinets, and then use trim to fill in all the gaps.

Looking for advice on material selection- MDF? 3/4" ply? Planning on painting them all white.

30"x12" bookcases? MDF will be fine primed and painted.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

We found this vintage rattan shelf and want to mount it to the wall in a spare bathroom. It doesn't have any mounting points.What would be a good way to do this?

Rear

Front

So... Hope you're not going to put more than a couple pounds of weight on that total. Without altering or causing any damage, I'd use pipe clamps around the uprights against the wall. If allowed to alter or damage it, I'd drill holes through the uprights and put anchors in the wall behind those holes.

I mention the weight because when that's stood on the floor the shelves put their weight through all four uprights. Hung on the wall you're only supporting the rear ones, the weight on the shelves is going to cause the front to sink.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I want to horizontally place a 1x4 Ikea Kallax shelf, on top of a 4x4 Ikea Kallax shelf. Because of my space restrictions, this is the only way I can maximize the amount of space I'm working with.

I can't mount the Kallax shelves onto the wall because there is a 1 1/2" - 2" molding at the bottom. Is there some sort of clamp I can use to secure the top shelf and the bottom shelf? The "middle" (space between the top of the clap and bottom of the clap) seems to be two inches. The only clamps I've been able to find require you to screw them in, but I don't want to do that. Am I out of luck unless I screw them together?

I assume this is pretty permanent right? It's disposable IKEA furniture, screw them together. Personally I'd screw through from the bottom unit into the top one, then find a way to secure it to the wall, especially if you have children or cats.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Our local DIY store has no painting supplies or timber, yet there's always a dozen or more people milling around in the empty aisles as if the staff are going to take pity on them and conjure something up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Best case remove the tree, some minor excavation on the other side, some medium-to-major repair work on the wall. Worst case the wall comes down and gets rebuilt. Not a DIY job.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any way to identify this bulb?

It came from an under-cabinet light, and the tines measure 8mm apart, so I think it's a G8, but I want to make sure because these things are surprisingly expensive. Unless I'm blind, there are zero identifying marks on the bulb itself.

This seems a fairly comprehensive guide:

https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/how-to-identify-halogen-and-xenon-bi-pin-bulbs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

armorer posted:

Ah, that is a good cheap option. The water will end up pooling, to be sure, but she got around 40 gallons of water the last big storm, and that would mostly end up in the sump. The lip of this "tub" would be high enough that water would flow into the sump before it would overflow the lip. The thought here is that $20 and an hour of work might at least contain the problem to be "water along the back wall of the basement" rather than "shallow water all over the basement floor". Proper drainage is the right answer of course, but I'm not comfortable cutting up her floor to put that in, and a basement waterproofing company is going to want a decent chunk of change.

2x4 and a tube of silicone sealant to make it water proof and stuck down.

Whipstickagostop posted:

So I am moving into a new place next week, and I finally have a garage to set up my squat rack.

I am going to build a 2.75m x 2m platform, with either a 25mm OSB or 25mm MDF sheet as a base, and 30mm rubber gym flooring on top.

Problem is, the concrete is flat for about 1.5m but then it begins to gradually slope down towards the garage door. Not a massive drop, but would be enough to potentially snap the base wood or make it unstable.

What would be the best way to level this off that doesn't involve cement or floor levelling compound (unless they make a removable one I don't know about), but could potentially take 200-300kg being dropped on it?

How much of a drop and over how much of the base? Could you get a sheet of 1/2" MDF and glue/screw it up in layers so the top is flat but the bottom steps to follow the floor?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're going to have to cut and peel the insulation off, wires get routed wherever in those things. Reconnect then reinsulate. Properly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just measure with a loving ruler for god's sake

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Check that the burner isn't full of crud.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Definitely the second.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I want to build a small step in the garden, between the lawn and a cabin I'm building. It just needs to be 150mm tall, am I right in thinking from top down I'm okay with cosmetic stone top/mortar/concrete blocks/mortar/compacted hardcore?

As it's a single riser code here says no need for handrail btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Definitely mindful of foundation issues. Not going to be digging anywhere near the fieldstone walls.

The floor is way too uneven to apply any sort of tile system with acceptable results. I need to refinish the surface in some way. I do'nt care if its ever truly level, but it needs to be flat.

My main concern is that if I just pour something new over the old its going to crack and break apart like whatever is there now. Is there any middle ground between a complete tear out and just dumping new material ontop and hoping for the best?

How much height could you comfortably give up to this? Does the result need to be concrete? Could you frame and board over it? (I don't know if moisture would cause an issue under there)