Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Alright - you know that roll of 35mm you keep meaning to get developed? Get it done. I did, and found the following:

Exclusive possession - A game of Property, Betrayal, Trade ande Backstabbing, set in thee twin Cities of Ankh and Morpork

I made a Terry Pratchett Discworld themed monopoly set for a friends wedding about 4/5 years ago, from scratch.

Board, tokens, houses, money, property cards, Fate(chance), Patricians Perogative(Community chest) and my wife made a faux leather bag. The only part I didn't make was the dice, as I found a really nice pair of 1 1/2" wooden dice that felt perfect.

Character pieces were as follows - A capped pyramid, A book (lawf & Ordinancef of Ankh & Morpork), A witches hat, a Dwarves Helmet, an old boot (Bugrit!) and the luggage.

(sorry for the poor image - photo of a photo v:)v)

All pieces were made from Fimo modelling clay, painted with acrylics. The board was a pair of board canvasses cut to size and joined to fold. Money was printed on coloured paper, property cards & Fate & Patricians Perogative were printed & laminated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

EigenKet posted:

Goddamn that's awesome. I want an ole' timey themed Monopoly.

I haven't read any of the Discworld series but I have read Good Omens, how do they compare (writing style, humor, etc)?

I think all his other books are better. Writing style varies so much across the Discworld series you'll find something you love. I tend to read through them in sets - witches, guards, Death, wizards etc.

I want to make another set, but this would be a huge circular wooden board, inlaid or built up to create a Discworld map, with the properties around the outside. If that isn't enough, the whole board would rest on four wooden elephants, on a wooden turtle. The top of the board would hinge or lift off to reveal space for the pieces and cards.

'cause I just don't make enough work for myself :doh:

ps - I've never carved wood in my life :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just found two other things I've made!

#1 Zoidberg fancydress costume for a party that never happened. When I move house I'm having a fancydress housewarming just so I can use this thing.

I got a lab coat and everything and thought I was really clever. Later I googled it and realised I was not the first person to think of this. On the plus side, by the time I get to use it I might have found some green scrubs/trousers and red socks.

I also made another wedding present:

Directly inspired by the one a goon made. Fake AK-47, hand axe. I was going to put a prybar in until I realised how much it would weigh.
The frame and outer case were painted satin black before it was handed over, but the only pics I have of the handover are lovely cellphone pics I can't move to the laptop.

If I know you, and you get married, you will probably get a present made. List my arse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sprinx posted:

The buttons from my sweater started getting a bit ratty and torn up.

Like so:

I figured my sweater could use a bit of pizzaz.

So you made these yourself? What material is it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sprinx posted:

I looked through a bin full of buttons at a craft store. I had a nice time. I'm not one to sew or do anything, and it took me forever. :) Sorry to disappoint. They feel heavy like metal.

If that's your project, it belongs in this here Megathread. The only thing I have to add is installing automatic door closers to my interior doors, not nearly as pretty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PipeRifle posted:

Not a current project, but I just caught up on the thread and saw a few of these, so I wanted to mention that I made the original Break in Case of Zombies Kit:

Zombie Goodness

It's nice when you can combine your fixations with your love for do-it-yourself crafts.

Oh hey, you inspired the wedding present I made for a mate, back on page umpteen

Good man.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Verman posted:

A few friends and I over the past few weeks have started trying to figure out something to do on saturday afternoons here in Chicago that keeps us active and is a lot of fun so we decided to start playing street hockey.

Its pretty fun and casual considering a few of us grew up/still play hockey and a few of the girls have never played before.

The only exception is that I have to construct some nets because the box we were using just doesnt cut it. Go figure I knew I should never have given my street hockey stuff away when I was 14.

My first though was to go for a NHL regulation 4'x6' net but then I figured storage and the fact that were not playing with a goalie makes this sort of overkill. I then decided to maybe try a scaled down version.

Im going to use 2" PVC and possibly go for a 3/4 size net but I havent really decided just yet. Something a little smaller than normal a trip to home depot should
do the trick

Does it need to be full height? You could probably make a 1/2 or 1/3 height, full width goal, that shouldn't take up much space? Or am I not understanding how hockey goes? :downs:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Fantastic, what are you using for a shutter & timing?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

The white to reddish is natural. The hourglass looking dark sections look to be dovetails for a cracked piece. Correct?

I showed this to my wife, she loves it & says the 'bowties' ( :3: ) give it character.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Went & got a higher res pic of the zombie box I made for someone a while back.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger Kick posted:

Wasn't going for a very decorative project since this is meant to be used at job sites, but I think it turned out looking pretty cool. More importantly, it sounds great. Still have to add a handle.

No need to tell me that the photo sucks. I know.

Kickass. Battery or corded power?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's the resolution & material?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I've got a bunch of switches buttons & lights & I'm going to make my little kid a tardis console type thing, I need a microcontroller to stuff behind it all, turn lights & buzzers on & off, maybe even drive a motor or two. Any recommendations?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

DethMarine21 posted:

You can also get lengths or entire rolls of surface-mount LEDs mounted on a strip of flexible PCB that can be trimmed down to size. I think most of them also come with integrated SMD resistors so you can use a common voltage like 12V. The only issue is if they would be bright enough.

Oh don't worry about these not being bright enough, trust me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome idea, can't wait to see the finished jobby

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I love watching stuff like that of any kind, including CNC machines or other kinds of robotic stuff. Nothing else in the world moves like they do. It's mesmerizing.

I work at a car plant, the best one I've seen is the robot that applies two lines of seam sealer simultaneously to the underbody of a car - one head with two swiveling extruders around a complex 3d shape with a little flick/flourish at the end so it doesn't leave a standing tail.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Over a month ago, I decided I wanted to build a workbench.

I can't laugh at any of this as I'll be contributing stories like it at some point.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 25, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trabant posted:

:wave: Love the nixie project. Always fantasized about doing one, but my complete lack of coding ability pretty much makes it a no-go. That plus the obscenely high voltages, because drat.

Regarding the voltages i remember someone making a fake nixie tube out of 10 layers of acrylic, each one engraved with a number and edge-lit by an led. Safe voltage, similar look.

Also, blow 30 bucks on an arduino kit and learn to code, it can be a fun little hobby.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's reassuring, because I'm planning to build a simple workbench in order to build more complex things, so it's nice to know I can build something without splurging unnecessarily :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Polishing a flat top is easy enough, just time consuming. Attach the progressively finer grades of sandpaper to a flat (glass) board, sand pieces while watching tv.

They're fantastic btw, I'm very jealous.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Protip for fixing one of those, chop through the tension 2x4, jack the gate up level, attach a new compression 2x4 going the right way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

A small project I am doing right now is trying to restore this old induction motor, ran into a snag today when going over it with an angle grinder:

Gonna need to find someone who can weld cast iron now.

I made an album where I'll put all the stuff regarding this restoration, it's not finished yet;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82846378@N07/sets/72157652922372128

How thick is that piece of cast? If its thick enough you can get it stitched, off the top of my head I think 4mm is required?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nope, metal stitch is a cold process. I'll grab some photos of a repair at work tomorrow, it's a little hard to describe.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My Pinterest is stuffed full of ideas, but I'd to hear from you guys if you think of anything that would be good in a haunted house.

Glowing goo creeping out from under closet drawers, skeletal hands clawing their way out of odd places, dirty shovel next to a copy of beginners guide to necromancy. I have seen someone cut the eyes out of paintings on the walls, then place the eyes on another piece set slightly back inside to give them depth. Real subtle.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dyneema is too easy to cut, Kevlar is perfect though, I believe it's what's in anti-chainsaw trousers :haw:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 3, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I moved house recently, so my garage is now full of poo poo. Hmm, time to sort that out.

2x2s, 2x4s, m12 bolts.

Nice simple design, shelves are half sheets of 18mm chipboard. Coming soon, a workbench in a similar design ethos

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's an 8' span so there's no wastage of sheet. After loading it with rocks and lead camping gear and other assorted rubbish it sags a little more than I'd like so I'll use the spare legs I cut ready just in case.

Workbench :v:

8' x 28", 36" tall, screwed rather than bolted. 2x4 beams under the top so no sagging. Legs are 2x6 and 2x4, I tested this one by jumping up and down on it. I'm 75kg and it barely wobbled. Then I had to drag it into the garage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

2 and 3 mount by French cleats, the bottom of 4 is on a French cleat, the top is held in place by 5, which screws to the ceiling through the light pendants.you could also put 5 sliding up to the wall on dovetail slides.

1 I assume is the headboard and thus is part of the bed, resting on the floor.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you can cut 2 French cleats you can cut a dovetail slide, especially if it's going to be hidden.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:stare: what is that finishing technique and how do I do it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Isn't the "patina" on copper quite toxic?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

iForge posted:

Don't be dumb. You are exposed to 100s of times more copper oxide in the drinking water from your copper pipes than I will be from using a paper towel holder, and copper oxides and salts are only toxic in large (measurable) amounts. The main concern with copper in the kitchen is using unlined copper cookware while cooking acidic foods.

I wouldn't say I'm being dumb, I was under the impression copper oxides were toxic. After a little searching inorganic copper compounds accumulate (as you mention, primarily from copper plumbing) but aren't deadly touch-and-die stuff. So staining your hands or whatever underneath would be the primary concern.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:allears: whatever the gently caress you end up making please post it here before you walk into a ditch wearing your vr gear

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Okay okay, after posting and searching there's nothing that exists like I'm looking for. I'll get outta the thread, just figured this was the best place to ask some fellow mad scientists about how to best strap a lot of electrons to myself.

No idea why a DIY thread is so hostile at the mention of having an electric car though.

I'm sure the diy thread isn't hostile to the idea of an electric car, just to the idea of diying a man-portable pack with the energy density to "top one up". There's a fundamental misunderstanding of energy densities and conversion efficiencies. If you wanted an easily portable way to charge your car you'll need to build a tiny generator. I recommend something like a high speed miniature rotary for compactness, or look into the square piston concept.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you own or lease the machine? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Took friday off, I've been a bit busy the last 3 days:

Fantastic work! Is it attached to the ground or just sitting there? My wife wants to spend megabucks on a swing set for our kids when I'd rather build this.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that's my opinion of the sets I've seen, I'd rather spend a weekend diy-ing one for the same money and ten times the quality.

Also question answered, I read the links.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Get a hook or something for it God drat what a loving mess

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That second stripper pole is a little close to the wall but otherwise very nice usable space.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dog Case posted:

AXES DON'T HAVE STRIKING SURFACES! You'll mushroom the poll or worse; warp or crack the eye and end up with something like this

So what's the reason for having a flat on the back that I always see people hammering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Locator posted:

Great improvement! I wonder why home builders always put such lovely lighting in hallways. Mine is an "L" shaped hallway with one light for each leg, and it's pretty terrible lighting in the middle.

If the bare minimum wasn't good enough it wouldn't be the bare minimum. Also they aren't going to be living there.