Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Hi wedding goons, wondering if you opted for professional albums from your photographer or took the DIY approach? All wedding photography is insanely expensive, but we are being quoted anywhere from $800-$1600 for albums as part of the package and I HAVE to think we could do it ourselves cheaper. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Hadlock posted:

We're waiting on our photos to arrive but I'm pretty sure we're gonna do it ourselves. My wife is way too picky about this stuff. Already sent the wedding video back for edits three times (that I know of). All of our wedding gifts are tied up with Zola and we'll probably order our book through their preferred vendor so it's no cash out of pocket.

This is an interesting thought as we will probably go with Zola too! Have you been happy with them?

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I wouldn’t worry about the price and how people will perceive it. I have a stunning, wonderful vintage ring that’s not a diamond (less expensive but still gorgeous gemstone) - I get compliments on it every single day and it was in the 3 figures price-wise. I love it and it’s perfect for me.

Imo the best thing you can do is recruit a helpful friend of hers who can find out her preferences and convey them to you while still retaining the element of surprise. I had a friend help my fiancé and I am helping the same friend’s boyfriend as he gets ready to propose.

If you can get a general sense of stone preferences (I had 3-4 gemstones I liked, none were diamonds), cut preferences (eg I love emerald cut, hate round solitaires, or whatever) and metal preference (white vs yellow gold), any decent jeweler can take it from there!

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

nesbit37 posted:

We're using the knot's registry which lets you set up cash gifts, but instead of just straight up saying "give us money" we're saying things like "help pay for us being able to afford a bigger house!" or whatever. We have like 6 physical things on there, but really now, my fiance owns her house, she's 34 and I'm turning 40 at the end of the month. There just isn't anything for the home or whatever that we need at this point. I think the charity option is a good route but at least for us we would like the cash since we do want to move into a bigger house sometime next year.

FYI, we looked around at what site to use for a while and there were no great options. They all take a cut, not to mention somewhere around a 3% +$0.30 transaction fee per transaction for electronic processing through stripe or credit cards or whatever. There are some sites out there that were super sketchy, like they made it sound all great but if you look at the fine print and add up all the fees they were taking something like 20% of all funds funneled through their site. Just be careful about it.

My fiancé is adamant about this point (processing charges + fees) so I think we may steal a solution from a friend of mine and set up a Zelle account for honeymoon and/or house renovation contributions. Zelle is a payment service that allows free transfers between a lot of major American banks (Wells Fargo, Citibank, U.S. Bank, etc.) Not sure if it’ll work, but it’s worth a try! I think you could do the same with a Paypal or Venmo account, probably.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Jewish weddings frequently start super late on Saturdays because of the whole Shabbat thing. I definitely have been to several that didn’t serve dinner until 8 or even 9 pm. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I would also really try to find someone whose personality you jive with. If you feel comfortable with them, you’ll get much better shots and they’re more likely to go the extra mile for you. We narrowed it down to two of comparable price and quality, both of whom we loved personally, but ultimately leaned into the one with a more journalistic/naturalistic style vs a more arranged/portrait-like quality,

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
We are also hoping it’s over by June but mentally getting prepared for a smaller/more local guest list. As long as our venue stays open....

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
We are scheduled for June 27 and still debating whether we try to stick with it, push back to the fall, or push back to next year.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Two sites that I really like that tend to have a variety of non traditional stones are Staghead Jewelers and Capucinne. My friend has an incredible bicolor sapphire from Staghead.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Wiggy Marie posted:

Early July wedding here. We moved everything back to the same month and day but 2021. All of our vendors were awesome about the change, and I have one less major stress off me during this time.

We did the same thing with our late June wedding!

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

NZAmoeba posted:

Getting married this Saturday in the backyard of my in-laws condo, renting a metal arch with flowers and a small table to sign poo poo on. Broadcasting the micro-ceremony over Zoom for viewers both local and international. It'll be 10 people attending total and that's including the officiant. We're getting sushi delivered.

Original venue (a sugar shack in Quebec) will now host our 1 year anniversary party.

I'd really recommend this as an option for those who can do this. And now we get to wear our wedding clothes twice so that's getting extra value from the purchase! :bern101:

This is almost exactly precisely what we did! Backyard wedding, borrowed a metal arch and put up flowers, 10 people total including officiant and photographer, broadcast on Zoom for close relatives and friends who couldn’t be there, ordered delicious food from a favorite local restaurant. We’ll do our previously planned reception at our one year anniversary plus a vow renewal at our church. It worked out beautifully and I’m looking forward to our second annual wedding next year.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I am tall, curvy and plus-size. I found not one, but two fabulous dresses I feel awesome in (I bought a traditional wedding dress at a traditional bridal shop, then a more casual off-the-rack one when we had to change our plans and do a tiny backyard pandemic wedding). I was shocked how many options there were in a regular bridal store that fit me, and no one made me feel any different than any other bride. I would just do your research and pick a couple stores that are known for carrying a range of sizes. If you’re near a big city, almost all of them have dedicated plus-size bridal stores.

I totally agree with the advice to try a bunch of stuff on in different styles. I ended up with strapless and found it much more flattering than cap sleeves or straps that cut across my arm fat in weird ways, but I would have assumed more coverage = better.

Also check out places like Torrid, ASOS, eShakti and BHLDN - depending on what size you are, they may have awesome options. And get it tailored! It’s great and worth it! Everyone does it no matter what size they are.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Thumbtacks posted:

Tomorrow is the wedding and it still doesn’t feel real

Remind me to tell you the story of my coordinator before I had to fire her, it’s a good one

Wishing you a wonderful and happy day and a beautiful start to your marriage!

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
From looking at this link, I think some of the keywords you’d likely want to search are low-profile, modern, geometric. I’m not familiar with Jennie Kwon but I think her site looks legit; just inquire about return policies before you buy. Her designs seem to be carried at a number of reputable retailers including Nordstrom, and Broken English and Catbird (two of my fave indie jewelers). But if you feel better buying elsewhere, you can for sure find similar designs on other sites.

I purchased a separate insurance policy for my ring through my regular insurance agent. It was dirt cheap.

Champagne diamonds are colored - anywhere from super pale gold to more beige/brown. They’re beautiful but can be pricey as they are rare. I love colored diamonds too. You might also see if she’s open to other colored gemstones. I have a vintage aquamarine engagement ring and I love it as I was adamant about not getting a “boring regular” white diamond, lol.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Personally photos are one thing I would not skimp on. Ymmv, but you can tell a difference between high and low quality (you really do get what you pay for) and it’s the one thing you get to keep forever. If money is an object, maybe reach out to your local college or community college and see if there’s a photography student looking to build their portfolio?

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
What in particular is tripping you up about the band search? Materials, style, price? Just not seeing anything you like? That might help us advise you better.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I have no idea where to even start with the bands. My fiance and I talked briefly about the looks of different materials, but we didn't figure anything out. I've browsed jewelers online but nothing's jumped out to me-- everything looks so similar, so how can I tell what I like? Part of me feels like the rings themselves should have as much emotional significance as our engagement rings did, too, but I know they will after he and I pick them out together so maybe that's dumb.

What is your engagement ring like? Any cues you can take from that? For example, my engagement ring is vintage from a certain era and has milgrain details (those little tiny dots), so both my husband I found bands from the same time period and also had some milgrain details, so it all feels like a set, even though it’s actually three different metals (mine are white gold e-ring and platinum band, his band is yellow gold.)

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So what was the big deal? The frog was wearing a hat?

EDIT: Wrong thread

Literal lol

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Question: Is it okay to open wedding gifts early? Originally we were going to wait, but we're about two weeks out and our dining room has been lost to the mountain of boxes...

Omg absolutely yes

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Traxus IV posted:

So we've been engaged for three weeks and have done zero wedding planning, no idea what we want on almost any level. We hit up a little wedding expo thing in our area to get some ideas and literally everyone we talked to wanted to know the date before almost anything else, some got really dismissive when we didn't have one which like I get because they're there to make connections that will lead to making money and not to chat with an apparently totally unprepared couple, but jeez. It made us feel pretty lovely!

Where the gently caress do you even start with all this stuff? We're completely out of our depth and lack any wedding knowledge at all. Are the links in the OP still decent for info? (if it makes any difference we're a lesbian couple)

My recommendation is that you first sit down and figure out your budget, the approximate number of guests you want (like a complete estimate, but are we talking 20 or 200?)and your absolute top priorities as well as your fiancée’s. This will drive a TON of your decisions. For example, we knew that my top priority was good food, so we scratched any venue off our list that required us to use certain caterers. My husband’s #1 thing was a live band, so we needed a venue that could accommodate that plus to leave enough room in the budget for it. Once you have a shortlist of venues that fit your criteria (including budget and size/number of guests), go tour them and ask what dates they have available. If you don’t have a specific date in mind, that’s great - it’ll help you be more flexible. (Eg: you won’t run into a situation where I love this venue but I must get married on may 12th and it’s not available.) once you have a venue and a date set, everything else is relatively easy. I hope that helps!

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

untzthatshit posted:

Anyone got any insight/advice on suits for groom/groomsmen? Trying to figure it all out online is a little overwhelming but I also can't stand Men's Wearhouse and looking at a Jos A Bank in my area they have terrible reviews specifically for dealing with wedding stuff. I'm not opposed to setting up a consultation or something somewhere just not sure where to go.

My husband used a company called The Black Tux. They do rentals via mail like Rent the Runway, but they also have boutiques within Nordstrom stores and David’s Bridal stores nationally. We found their stuff very high quality, stylish/modern, and affordable. They do have options for both renting and buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
We used Zola for our website and Minted for our invites, very happy with both!