Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Installed a new ignition coil in the Cherokee to eliminate the CEL. Whoever decided switched from cheap wires to a $105 coil is a loving bastard.
Took it for a pretty rugged drive to make sure it was indeed inflicted with Death Wobble before I spent the time swapping the steering damper. Got it up to 65mph and I got make one good shake out of it. Hit a few potholes on purpose with the same result. She's driveable as far as I can tell so I'm going to proceed with the trade in tomorrow without loving with it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freestyl posted:

Well I googled the issue (if I pull on the belt it will not lock... it just has slack).

I couldn't find much info, other than people claiming the XJ did not have locking belts. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Can you take a picture of the baby seat in the car to illustrate what the problem is? I never had issues with my XJ and my ex's kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freestyl posted:

Basically think of a booster seat and using the shoulder seat belt to latch a kid in.

The belt does not hold a lock to keep the passenger from moving forward. If I yank or pull on the belt it will not lock.
Just checked and its the same for my front belts. :(

The lock doesn't latch or belt goes slack?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the brake light in my 2000 XJ came on the other day. I checked the fluid level and it was low so I added some and the light went off. Next day it's on again, I check the fluid again and it's low once more so I add more fluid. I also slid a piece of cardboard underneath to watch for drips.
Next day, no drips but low levels again. Then I remember a problem I had on my old XJ and I crawl under the back and see a small puddle by the left rear wheel. In my old XJ I had a slow leak and if memory serves I had the wheel cylinder replaced and it fixed the problem.
The cylinder and the brake line are like $10 each, that should fix the problem right? Replace them, fill up on fluid, bleed the brakes and be all good? Will I have to bleed all four corners when I do this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EightBit posted:

It doesn't take long to make sure that all four lines are air free; don't take the chance.

I have a bleeder so it's not a big deal, I just wanted to be certain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Leave your wife for the truck.

Duh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What do you have that you can part with to get it?

And where is it located?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There have been over 2000 posts since I last read this thread. Yikes.

I've been looking into either a 4x4 or another Cherokee for winter duties and I think the Jeep is winning the battle. I know 1999 is the best of the best (what I originally owned) but otherwise I've forgotten everything I knew about them. I'm jut at the early stages here, probably won't pick anything up until well into summer and prepare it from there but basically I want to build a handle anything winter ride. What's the best mix of options that I should look for? What should I avoid? Which 4x4 system is best? Treat me like a Jeep newb, I want to do this right and if possible, make it affordable.

Here's a few locally, what could I expect to encounter from these?

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4315210454.html

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4337911344.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gileadexile posted:

I liked the outside of the second gen Liberty, but I have no idea about the interior or powertrain really.

Ugh, those are turds. My friend has one and it's just so lacking in power.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Crossposting

Dude at C&C this morning

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tuna posted:

Did you ask him why did he decide to mount his spare in a way that not only renders the entire bed useless but also blocks all rear visibility?

[e] and the spare is a different rim?

He has the matching set of wheels to go with the spare, he hasn't had time to get the tires swapped over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tuna posted:

I saw your crosspost a while later where you had a few more details. At least he can unbolt that section when not at car shows. I do actually like the idea of those bolt locations too because it's now super easy to fab up other, more useful things to bolt into that cage back there if need be.

I think he said he had other racks already built. I was fanboying out so hard I missed a few things.