Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
How big of an air compressor do I need to run a basic impact wrench and air ratchet and how much do I have to spend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

AcCeL posted:

I use those for work all the time, the only thing that bugs me is the pivoting head sometimes moves too much and I cant get as much torque on the bolts. I recently bought one with a fixed head and it's great. I have to swap between the two of them sometimes though because it's hard to get to some bolts without the swivel.

Those are the best tools ever created. I got a metric set for my birthday and all my friends thought I was weird for being excited over getting wrenches.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

oxbrain posted:

The local redneck garage has a SBC they use for sandblasting. Cut the fuel(but not air) to four cylinders, connect the "exhaust" of those four to a manifold with a fuckoff big turbo wastegate to adjust pressure, run that to your air hose.

That is such a :awesome: idea

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just bought a Matco 19.2v cordless impact from a guy on Craigslist. I'm trying to think of something that needs to be taken apart to see how this badboy works. It's heavy as hell, but I've always heard good things about Matco.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A cordless impact would improve my life pretty substantially but I can't decide what system to go with.

I love my Matco 19.2v cordless impact more than anything in the world. Spendy when new, but I got mine on Craigslist with 1 battery for $150.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Rabble posted:

Can anyone recommend a good starter set of ratchet/sockets for just general maintenance of a Ford. I was thinking about something like This but I don't really think I'll need the metric working on an american car (haha that's probably wishful thinking).

Anyway I'd like a good set with some deep sockets and at least a 6" extension to get into deep spots. Also, why do all of these kits come with the same socket in different ratchet sizes? 1/4, 1/2, and 3/8, is it mainly just for leverage situations or is it so they can bulk up their part count.

A kit like that would be a good start. The 3 different socket wrench sizes have some overlap, but each can have advantages in certain situations. I probably use my 3/8" 75% of the time. You wouldn't want to use a big heavy 1/2" ratchet to remove some tiny bolt with a million threads in a cramped locations, and you wouldn't want to use a little 1/4" ratchet to put 200lb/ft on a rusty suspension bolt.

And American cars do use a lot of metric. When I'm king everything will be 100% metric so you'd better get used to it now.

e: speeling

User Error fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 16, 2012

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

spog posted:

I think they added that requirement fairly recently. Of course, the whammy here is that the till receipt will fade after 3 months and photocopies aren't accepted.

Also, I think that they don't cover the ratchet handle itself now - but it's still worth it.

I bought a tool cart from Harbor Freight the other day, and the cashier was telling everyone to copy your receipt since it's needed for returns and they fade quickly. So I guess it depends on the store.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I boogered together a work table and a chumpcar exhaust with my Harbor Freight fluxcore. It sucks but it melts metal together.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I got one of those for free and it works. Not well, but I built a work bench and an exhaust for my Chumpcar and both of those things are still in one piece.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
This has probably been covered a million times, but what's a decent crimper? I'm done with the lovely stamped steel ones, and I have a set of Harbor Freight crimping pliers somewhere but I'm not to fond of them. I'm about to build a new wiring harness and distribution box for my Chumpcar and want to do it right.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
You can sometimes get a little adjustment by stacking tolerances. A lot of suspension component bolt holes have a little bit of slop you use to your advantage.

I use strings to do toe on the race car and a magnetic camber gauge. It works but is tedious and requires a really good flat surface.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Rye Bread posted:

I'm not sure what everyone's budget is, but you can regularly get the DeWalt DCF899 for $250-275 with a battery and charger. 700ft lbs, with 1200 breakaway!

I have one of those and it whips rear end. Good battery life too.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Mower goes in the garage battery charger goes on the shelf downstairs OK don't be weird about it

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'll second Georgias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Advent Horizon posted:

I guess I need brake line tools now.

I hear cupro-nickel is the way to go, and that it may not need a bender?

I need to be able to do 10mm double flares.

What are the brands I should be looking at and what kind of prices?

Others are right about tools and line.