Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
In my experience the lovely Craftsman sockets are better than their ratchets. I've yet to break a socket but I destroy usually 2-3 3/8s ratchets on a busy week. I have 6 or 8 and just swap em all at once. Their rebuilds either break immediately or the teeth are absolute dogshit and they pop into neutral every other swing.

I've never broken their 1/2" stuff though. Even with a 6 foot cheater bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

Check this out - I have a regular 12v adapter from this company and it's pretty good quality and an easy install.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...sb+port+bluesea

I built my own from russian amphenol plugs and usb chargers for about half the price of theirs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Wow, I couldn't find one anywhere. So I sawed the handle off a fullsize.

I'm going to build one of these very, very, soon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I used to try to buy quality screwdrivers but I'm so hard on them I just find that a place with no questions asked replacement is easier.

Stop using them as gasket scrapers and oil filter removers.

I have an entire drawer of screwdrivers specialty prybars made for premium European cars.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

Is the risk of shattering this really worth the $30 you save?

the first rule of dealing with spinnamathings is DON'T STAND IN THE DEBRIS PATH.

I'd rock it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
seconding the short life of Ryobi batteries... two 40V mower batteries dead in a year meanwhile the two 3 year old M18 Milwaukee batteries are still trucking along..
the ryobi 18v or whatever weed eater still works fine though.

First one had an intermittent internal open circuit(spotty spot weld), second one I haven't opened yet to see why, probably a bad cell. Regardless it's gonna get the electronics hacked and maybe converted into an autonomous mower cause gently caress buying another $150 battery for that pile of poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

I just tried it again. Dead. It let out a LOT of smoke, if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. :D

Yup, I just have to decide on M12 or M18... I've got batteries for both, but I have to think about my usage. Some times I need the bigger-rear end of the M18, but I usually like the compactness of the M12 stuff. First world tool problems.

I have their M18 drill. Got it hot enough to warrant a welding glove for comfort. When it gets that hot I'll run it for a few unloaded so its fan can pull air across the windings. Mortar would be excessive on cordless without a cool down period.

Hubby did kill the m18 5-1/2" skillsaw about a month ago after ~5 years of use. It was our first M18 tool death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZrtxV5LLA
replaced it with a brushless 7.5" and holy gently caress the difference.

as for a trimmer? I use a cheap shitbox 18V Ryobi one. It's a couple years old and hasn't eaten itself or a battery yet, so there's that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ryanrs posted:

Just a reminder that entire countries have had their auto industry's reputation ruined due to poor quality electrical connectors. The shame of bad electrics lasts for generations.

laughs in ford, volkswagen, nissan, and rover

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

You don't have to include Jeep in that list, as long as you don't consider wire an "electrical connector".

lmao gently caress me how could I forget jeep.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol Logan had an absolute shitfit when I was flying back home from NEFR with a 1980s handheld amateur radio.
So far they're the only airport I've had that kind of issue with.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Harbor freight.
Get the 15/18 wrenches like you need. cut the open end off. weld the two box ends together. done.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

$4 from AliExpress

couldn't think of a better way to gently caress an axle nut

ryanrs posted:

Homemade / modified tools are great! Here's a tap wrench I made today because the one I had wasn't big enough.

If you want, I can make you a 15/18 wrench for the cost of the wrenches + postage.

Baller offer. Homebrew tools are the best tools.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
elm327

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

(Caterpillar s62)

I ran the S60 back when they were new. Pretty gimmicky but the one party trick it could do it did exceptionally well.
The base hardware kinda sucked, it was very locked down, and wasn't actually waterproof.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who doesn't enjoy fishing for a drain plug after you realized you had the engine too drat hot?

It's even better when it's a differential.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm using a 1960sish matco machinists box with friction slides loaded down to about half a ton. It's outlived at least a dozen other boxes from all walks of quality and cost. I've been meaning to find the matching lower for several years now.

No way in hell would I take on such an endeavor to make my own box with blackjack and hookers.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Meat Dimension posted:

How do the Milwaukee m18 batteries hold up to daily abuse? I’m trying to drum up reasons to switch away from Ryobi as the tool brand we use for work. I have a feeling that half of our batteries we got at the $25/4ah Home Depot sale less than a year ago are about to die.

Some of my oldest M18 batteries are around 10 years old. They're in "light duty" applications these days.

Pun possibly intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey tool thread. I built a new tool. It does things.

ER6011, 75A +/- on my Invertec 160S

Not pretty but they're good farm welds, I don't really care. Didn't break with a hammer.

That detail isn't important.

This 2kW junk aims inverter pushed it. Blown up a decade ago when it went for a swim at burning man, given to me, fixed, and put back into service. It'll do 3kW before it gets angry. Welcome to the suck.

More details.

This is/was an eight point six kiloWatt battery pack I built over the last 3 months from salvaged telco power backup and parked in the middle of this junk rear end golf cart. Added a wet kit and a dump bed and a nearly 500A motor controller. It's unstoppable and throws down welds anywhere on the 60 acres I reside on. There's a 330W panel on the roof that covers all of the idle loads while running.

It's the best power tool I've ever fabricobbled from trash. The enclosure? it once was a samsung dryer. I'll upgrade to a 6kW inverter later and it'll run my precision watercooled tig or an entire house. Bonus, I can load it on the farm truck, charge it with the truck and solar while I drive to jobs. Later comes a J1772 plug when it gets the 280Ah pack. (I'm running four of these rebuilt telco packs now)

It'll get paint and bodywork when it earns it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 24, 2024