Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am supposed to be getting 20 x T8 tubes mailed to me from an online vendor by Friday. If they are not in the mail it sounds like I need to stop by costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MrYenko posted:

This is a cheapie. They come in different sizes and different reach lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4ZF0HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H7HkDb36QGRQB

I may just be a moron but I tried to use one of these years ago and I remember it not working at all. So prepare for frustration.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I was but a DIY baby back then (now I'm a toddler), so anything is possible.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

meatpimp posted:

5000lb. It's one hell of a deal. I just have too many things going on to even clear storage space for it in the garage.
Here's how I store mine.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Since impact wrench chat is happening, any opinions on Porter-Cable's offering? I've already got their drill/impact and I'd really just be getting it for home automotive light usage.

https://www.portercable.com/product...wrench/pcc740la

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

nope, better off buying a corded electric one that actually cranks

or wait till you can find a milwaukee or ryobi on clearance? i scored a ryobi impact for cheap a while back and i sold my old IR impact to Charles

Yeah so holy poo poo I just compared the torque on PC vs Milwaukee and you weren't kidding. I had just kind of assumed their specs would be similar and the devil would be in the hidden stuff. RIP my battery dreams, time to watch for sales. At least I'm not in a rush, I have a friend close by currently that I can bum tools from till I move.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Acetylene torch and a liberal disregard for the sanctity of the parts surrounding what you want.*

*never have I ever been to a pick n pull lot

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you want a good wall-outlet powered one, you really need to move out of "inflator" and into "compressor" territory.

Alternatively, look at higher end 12V inflators that have battery clamps instead of a lighter socket - Viair and the like.

Echoing Viair, I've got a VIAIR 90P Portable Compressor and it's an easy hookup to the battery terminals on your car and goes quite fast. It's slightly more annoying versus an at home compressor setup I'm sure but the portability is a nice bonus if you're only going to own one thing and I keep it in my car for roadside emergency use.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I use a coping saw to cut PVC. I feel like a hacksaw would be good? Is there a reason you're against using it?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Uthor posted:

For some reason, imgur gives me a warning that this image is erotic. :gizz:

Well it left me satisfied.

edit: what a terrible snype

here's a question that I might act on soon - what are good socket sets in imperial and metric? I am hoping for options that don't say 150+ items or whatever and then like 50 of the things are bit drivers and screw-type bits of which I already have plenty of nice sets and options. I am really only looking to replace my 15+ year old autozone $20 special set with something nicer.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 16, 2019

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wish there was a tool to remove from Sears emails.

Cripes. Yes, did the whole unsubscribe like thing and tells me to wait 10 days. Over and over.

Just start marking them as spam in Gmail. They will get auto trashed soon enough.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I bought these years ago because I was actually working on fencing and a chicken coop on our little 1.5 acres setup. Now I'm all suburban HOA lameass but I've kept these because they are a really useful tool.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StormDrain posted:

?? Are you implying that you would get rid of tools?

Also I need more pliers. But now I refuse to buy bad ones so they are few and far between.

Please no one hurt me but I did get rid of my electric corded chainsaw right before we moved because the trees here are like 2-3" in diameter so my bowsaw would be sufficient.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm having trouble finding an alterantive to the pinch weld jack pads that Quickjack offer. They are either on backorder and/or super expensive when it comes to shipping. Anyone have any good alternatives that exist in the EU?

This may be useless to suggest but have you tried calling or emailing QJ directly? Maybe they can point you to their Euro supplier? If it'd be useful to you I can take any measurements of my pads if you are trying to buy some sort of alternative product.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well actually it turns out I'm stupid and didn't realize they sell multiple block types. I just have their normal blocks and not the pinch weld ones. However I use them to lift via my pinch welds and they seem to work fine? I'd have to read the manual again but I think they even say it's fine.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah to be honest I have done so as well in the past. But getting a brand new car, so don't want to gently caress up my pinch welds in case they are weaker.
Just did some googling and unfortunately it doesn't look like any stores carry them locally.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Here's a couple good pics showing the high torque, mid, and stubby, all in 1/2". I feel like its a sweet spot in size

Would you think the mid could handle a low to zero rust passenger vehicle for most (all?) work no problem? Thinking I might end up buying some sort of impact within the next year.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Not quite the same use case as a large backpack or tool bag but I love having a tool belt for jobs around the house. That plus my toolbox takes care of everything I need for a job if I can remember to grab it from my workbench that is*

*large tools like circ saws excepted

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I bought a Husky digital caliper thing from HD and it does metric, imperial and imp fractions. Seems to have held up for 6 months I think now and I leave the battery in it. Probably good value for a homeowner but not professional level.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I got a set of 4 joker wrenches and a 3/8" zyklop rachet like 2 weeks ago. The first as a splurge, the second because my 3/8"s AutoZone special from 13 years had gone missing.

Now I'm eyeing the sales trying to talk myself into something else.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Imagine the coupon ad...

Compare this to Medtronics $200,000 to our $250 one.

Plus 20% off.

Combine your savings with our pancake compressor*

*for the love of god please don't pancake compressor your lungs goons

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Any recommendations on aprons or bags or something I can wear to get more pockets? A huge annoyance is crawling under and needing a wrench size I gambled wrong on, but also having a loose handful of wrenches sucks. What I want are tight pockets like for pens that will hold smaller wrenches, without them falling out as I crawl around or bend over. Next level? A small magnet strip to hold bolts nuts and washers.

I think even a shorty apron is too long and doesn't quite have the pocket needs covered, tool bags are loose. I'm almost just selling myself on a sewing machine at this point to modify an existing shirt or vest. A vest, I realize right now, might be the closest thing. As long as it's snug.

Magnetic arm/wrist braces exist for holding smaller tools. I wonder if something in that vein could work. Also maybe you just want a low clearance small tray on like roller wheels.

fake edit: threw some keywords at google and got this link - https://www.amazon.com/H-C-Automotive-Portable-multifunctional-separated/dp/B07TB3NZP3

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just buy the HDX branded ones that are some sort of non-cotton breathable backs with leather for the palm and fingers. Then when they wear out after 6 months of weekend warrioring I buy a new pair. Generally I end up with 2-3 pair around in various stages of worn out/covered with dirt/mud/oils. I also, at least pre-pandemic, would keep a box of nitrile gloves for car or stain or paint type work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looks like I'm going to be doing a home "improvement" project of an accent wall in the bedroom. I could nail the maybe 100 feet of lumber to the wall with a hammer or I could buy a battery powered finish/brad(?) nailgun.

Currently I have the Porter-Cable 18v battery drill and impact, it looks like their tool only nailer is almost $200 which seems crazy. Any suggestions or thoughts on battery nailguns for light DIY usage? Might just swing a hammer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hmm...would the pancake compressors like ya'll have been recommending also be good enough to blow out a 0.16 acre lots worth of sprinkler lines (that are divided into 4 zones)? I'm in Oregon so probably don't even need to blow out the lines for winter but it'd give me another reason to keep a compressor around.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for all the info, I'll see where the project and tool buying desires take me from here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Poisonlizard posted:

Aw crap, I have one of those and just loaned it to my brother in law.

How much does your sibling love your BIL?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any recommendations for LED work lights for cars (underside, wheel wells, engine bay - I've got good overhead lighting in the garage already)? I'm thinking one or two lights with some combination of ways to attach/point the light and possibly multiple brightness levels.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I always just keep an old petzl headlight in my tool bag. Multiple brightness, cheap, useful all over.

Should have mentioned that I have one of these which is great except sometimes my forehead isn't in line with what I need to see! Headlamp covers tons of use cases though.

I'll see about picking up an Astro thanks (might wait and see if black friday yields some deals in tools along with the light).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

That's when you turn it into a chinlamp

1. My hands are dirty
2. I need to buy more tools or tool adjacent items

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

I have the mid-torque Milwaukee 1/2" impact, and it's fantastic. At 600ft-lbs it hasn't had an issue with axle nuts or anything else I've used it for. It's tiny compared to the giant one, but so nice and easy to use. I may have justified the big combo pack cause I couldn't find the combo with the charger anywhere nearby, so now I have a sawzal, impact driver, drill, circular saw, and work light. All of which have come in handy, why on earth did I wait this long to pick up good battery powered tools???

Which one is this? I'm making a list of things to keep an eye out for holiday/black friday sales. Looks like maybe this one - M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me about deep impact sockets (and asteroid movies overshadowed by armageddon)? I'm also wondering about picking up maybe just a single in 19mm with a plastic sleeve to baby my wheels. This seems like what I want but perhaps a bit pricey. On the other hand amazon listings show brands I've never heard of with reviews that aren't favorable.

Thoughts?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Just pick up any old impact socket and some large heat shrink and DIY yourself up a good alternative.

I have a heat gun from HF and this sounds fun, thanks for the idea!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Or just wrap blue painters tape around one you already have. It works great for me the once or twice a year I rotate my tires

Ah but you see I don't already have one :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's the jesus bolt that keeps your grid section of the earth from falling into space.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Did my first oil change with a fluid extractor and this poo poo is as easy as getting gas. Extremely worth it.

What brand/model did you get? I'll be needing to pick one up later this year.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think. I've seen a penny trick on IG for that. Maybe?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There is also the Wera Zyklop where you can rotate the head to go from traditional ratchet rotation to, I guess "screwdriver" orientation. If that floats your boat.

edit: multiple options of course but here's a link for one of them https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Zyklop-8-Inch-Drive-Ratchet/dp/B001V9XGKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Would this be good for some light sheet metal cutting (home use, not a contractor)?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/2460-20

Asking because I'm figuring I could buy tool only and end up with a versatile tool to go with the batteries I already have. My current use case that made me look into this is cutting 22ga sheet steel. If this tool is the right one, what cutting wheel(s) should I be using also?