Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Biowarfare posted:

anyone using unraid know if i can pass through a usb-enclosure ssd as a standalone share? i've been googling and only finding 2011s-era outdated results.

it shows up in dmesg as "scsi direct-access hynix ssd 1tb", it shows up in device info as "ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge", but there's no new item on the array listing nor any unassigned devices

I haven't tried it myself but the Unassigned Devices plugin is supposed to allow you to do this I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, I did this on my Unraid server with Wireguard a couple months ago and it's been great. Way better than my previous system of VNCing into my home desktop and then using that to access my server.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

That Works posted:

Anyone got a go to case recommendation?

I've got a NAS with a microATX mobo, 4 standard sized HDD and 1 SSD, I can push that up to 6 HDD and may do so eventually. Currently the SSD gets really hot and its in a super cheap generic mid-tower case. I am open to using a full sized tower.

This thing sits in a basement closet out of the way, so looks and even noise level don't matter much. Just curious what people like for these in the lower price ranges.

Mine used to live in a Thermaltake Versa H21 and that worked really well, plus it's cheap (even more so since I got mine used on FB Marketplace since like you I didn't care how it looked). Admittedly my drives were in 5.25" bay hot-swap adapters that had their own fans so I can't speak to how cool the drives stay in the conventional bays, but the case itself was solid and functional and IIRC the case has mounting points for fans directly in front of the internal drive bays you can get plenty of airflow there if you want.

Now I have it in an iStarUSA D-407PL which was one of the best prices I could find for a rack-mountable chassis, it's been great and let me carry over the drive bay adapters I already had and add additional ones that the Versa didn't have space for.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

It's been mentioned, but most mini racks are for network equipment and it can be difficult to find one that'll fit even a shallow depth server chassis. If it's something that is seen and may need to move with you in the future it's worth looking at audio equipment racks. They're still the standard 19" wide, usually deep enough to fit shallow chassis, can usually be found on castors so they're easy to move, and generally look pretty nice compared to server racks (and they're usually much cheaper than server racks). It just means that you likely won't have a square hole system, you'll have a round hole system. This is really only an issue if you're frequently putting stuff into and out of the rack (can wear out fixed threaded holes with no way to replace them like you could using cage nuts, or you have to deal with unthreaded holes needing a nut on the back which is annoying to install) or if you're looking to use surplus enterprise gear since most of their rail systems are designed to work toollessly with square posts (but you mentioned that you're really not in the used enterprise gear market).

I can vouch for Unraid in terms of ease of use for someone not very familiar with Linux. The ability to add whatever size drives whenever you get them is great as long as you don't need high read/write speeds (an SSD cache drive is a must). Their interface for both VMs and Docker containers make it very simple to get stuff up and running without needed to learn all networking/cli commands for docker settings but also lets you use those advanced features if needed. I haven't tried to do GPU passthrough yet but as long as it's a 10 series or newer Nvidia card it seems much easier than it used to be.

I run a whole bunch of containers, Plex, and HomeAssistant (VM) on a Ryzen 1600AF and it seems to handle the load just fine.

In general I'd say find a case for the server first (you don't have to buy it first, but find a case you know you'd be fine with) and then look for a rack. That way you can be sure you'll be able to at least fit that case instead of getting a rack and then hoping you'll be able to find a case that'll fit. And, as has been mentioned, if you're going to exist in the same room as the server then go 4U, anything less than that means you're going to need server grade fans to push air through the box instead of a normal tower cooler and that means a lot more noise.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 4, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

politicorific posted:

This is a nice nugget of experience. I see that both the Silverstone CS350 and RM4000 have round holes, as well as some of the no-name Chinese-made cases I can purchase all have rounded mounting holes. Looks like all the racks have square holes.
Yeah, all the items going into the rack will generally have round holes, it's just the rack posts that will have either square or round mounting holes. Square post racks tend to be a bit more flexible because they'll work with regular gear using Cage Nuts which mount a threaded round socket in, or using rack mounting systems that are designed to attach directly into a square post system like the Dell Readyrails (these are specific to their PowerEdge servers though).

Another great Unraid resource is SpaceInvader One. He seems to have a video guide for almost everything you'd want to do in Unraid and does a great job explaining the process.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Wait really? I run Plex off that machine already but I didn't think I could have it pull media from my phone. To be clear, I'm not trying to serve the media to any devices. I just want to back up my phone gallery folder to the extra space on a drive in my NAS.

Yeah, I just set up Nextcloud on my home server and it's probably your best option. Once you install the mobile app and sync it with your instance it will automatically detect phone galleries and sync (or ask if you want to sync) them up. I also like the added benefit of being able to use stuff like CalDav for syncing my calendar/contacts too, not just as a backup, but also as an integration with HomeAssistant and Mycroft.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

It lets HA see and potentially add events to your calendar, so you can include your agenda on a dashboard or ask a voice assistant what your schedule is or remind you of an upcoming event.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks man, I'll set that up tonight.

e: Doesn't support windows...

Ah, sorry. Something to consider is that you can technically still run Nextcloud with Ubuntu on Windows, so it may still be an option for you.
https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-nextcloud-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts-wsl-windows-10.html

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Mephistopheles posted:

I recently got a new desktop and have been wanting to dip my toe into the whole world of unraid with my old hardware. Old hardware is rather ancient but wanted to get some advice on the build and suggestions on what I can change, obviously with limited $$ to add.

Parts I already have:
Processor: Intel i5-3570k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z777-V LK
PSU: SeaSonic X660 (SS-660KM) 660W
RAM: 24GB of DDR3 NON-ECC Ram
SSDs:
1 x 500gb Samsung 2.5" SATA
1 x 250gb Crucial MX500 2.5" SATA
HDDs:
3 x WD Red 4TB 3.5"
2 x WD Green 3TB 3.5"

Purpose of the build:
Looking to build an Unraid server where I can use it as the data storage for my Emby server. Emby server will continue to run on my desktop and do all transcoding on the desktop for now. Reason for this is that I do not have an additional video card to rely on for transcoding off of the unraid server. This is the goal in the future when I can purchase a used server setup, hopefully next year. For now I want to learn how to use Unraid and save up some $ for that purchase for later. Also will be using the server for photo storage, running pihole in a docker container and then more for learning how to use docker and trying to expand my knowledge on what is/is not possible with Unraid.

Yes, I am aware that this server is not a sufficient "backup" for my files. I plan on using an external USB 3 HDD on the Unraid server to be setup with weekly backups of my photographs and more precious data and perhaps also a cloud based backup.

I know that using the processor I have, I would be limited if I had a video card because it doesn't have the technology to handle pass through. It also cannot support ECC ram.

Configuration thoughts:
Planning to use the two SSDs in a raid config as a cache pool.

On Black Friday I'm looking to purchase 4 to 5 HDDs hopefully within the 10-16TB range in size and of course include a parity drive. Hopefully a Canadian retailer will have a decent price on WD Red drives or some shuckable externals. These would be additional storage to what I already have.

I would really appreciate a suggestion on a useable PCIE expansion card to give me the extra SATA ports that I will need to support the number of drives, which also doesn't cost a ton. My motherboard has 6 headers at present. My old tower case is a Fractal case that will hold up to 10 HDDS.

What I am concerned about and not quite sure about (I've Googled/YouTubed and read a ton) is whether I'm going to have issues with not using ECC ram for a server. Is there something I can do to minimize any negatives that can occur? I keep hearing that using ZFS as a file system will help with error correction. I know a limitation of this is that if I want to add drives later on, I will have to do so in pairs if I go the ZFS route.

Also, besides not being able to pass through a video card with the current setup, are there any concerns that I should be aware of using the i5-3570k for here? I'm aware that power consumption will be less than ideal. Again, the plan is to upgrade hardware within the next year or two so that I can have the Unraid setup also handle all emby duties, transcoding included.

Appreciate your input.

This is almost the exact spec list my unRAID server started as, it's a good way to get into it and as long as you don't have a ton of people sharing your Emby it should be fine. ECC memory is unnecessary for a small home server IMO, you can upgrade it later if you want but don't worry about going out of your way for it now. It's really only needed if you're running critical hough uptime servers where a single wrong bit could cause irreplaceable damage. Your plan looks good, go for it!

For a drive expander card I recommend getting a SAS HBA like this one from TheArtofServer on eBay. He's a cool guy that has a good YouTube channel explaining anything anyone would need to know about server hardware and is super helpful if you have any questions with a purchase.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Keito posted:

Saying it's unnecessary for home use is going a bit too far in the opposite direction. If you care about ensuring that the data in memory is not getting corrupted before being committed to disk, you'll want to be using ECC memory. If Intel weren't purposefully crippling their consumer hardware to segment it away from the enterprise market I think we'd likely be using ECC RAM in all our computers by now.

That's fair, I guess I should caveat it with "It's not worth paying the premium for it in version 1 of your home server" because if prices were more equivalent (and motherboard compatibility better) then definitely I'd have it in my server too. I just don't think it's worth prioritizing over other upgrades early on.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

cr0y posted:

So this is kind of file server related. Kind of.

I am running unRAID as my home server and it is a pretty healthy machine with the exception of a middle of the road video card.

I know a lot of people are using unraid with a beefy GPU to essentially cast gaming to other weaker devices on their Network. For example I have an Intel NUC acting as my home theater machine and was wondering if it's a sane idea to put in the effort of learning how to set up gaming on my unraid box and then stream the game *somehow* to that NUC as opposed to having a big noisy machine sitting next to my television. Is this being done with something like steam link?

Yes I'm fully aware that I will likely have to sell a kidney or two to afford a new GPU.

(Copper 1GB between these devices if it matters)

Yeah, you could do this with Steam Link or potentially with Parsec if you have a lot of non-steam games or just can't get Steam Link to work right (I've had difficulties with it crashing or losing connection in the past).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

More anecdotes but I've got I think 4 Iron Wolfs (4tb) in my NAS now age ranging from 1-3 years old and they've all been solid so far.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I want to upgrade the drives in my Unraid and it seems like preclearing is up for debate? Should I bother? To replace a drive do I just need to power it down, pull the drive, and then assign the new drive? Seems pretty straight forward unless there is a better way?

I think unRAID now does a pre clear automatically with new drives but I'm not 100% on that. But yeah, just power off, pull the old drive, install the new one, it should automatically rebuild it from parity.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 9, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Is there anything I can do to avoid having to rebuild it for each of the four drives I'm replacing?

Sure, but I don't recommend it. You just move whatever data on the drive(s) off of them, then stop the array, remove the drives from it, then power down and replace the physical drives, power back up and add the new drives to the array as new drives. I guess if you have the physical capacity in the server you could probably even add the new drives to the array with the old drives, then transfer all the data from the old drives to the new ones, then remove the old drives from the array. Now if your concern there is downtime during the rebuild, unRAID will emulate the drive via parity while its rebuilding so you can still run your server normally during that process.

Correction from earlier: it sounds like, while unRAID will do its own disk clear to new drives, the Pre-Clear plugin is something that's still recommended because you can run it before adding the new drives to the array (while they're still unassigned devices). This means that when you do add the drive to the array unRAID won't have to run its own drive clear first which prevents the array from running until it completes. I haven't done this myself so I can't confirm it but that's what I've read and I'm definitely going to do that next time I add a new drive.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not certain anything other than a format was done since it went straight to rebuilding the drive when I assigned it and I remember way back when I set this up that preclearing took forever and the rebuild is almost done. If I wanted to preclear these drives I would probably have to setup a demo system on a laptop or something since I am at my 6 drive limit.

That makes sense since the rebuild is essentially doing what the clear would, going bit by bit through the drive. It's been a while since I've actually replaced a drive in my system vs. just adding more new ones.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

4TB Seagate Iron Wolfs are on sale for $80 on Amazon right now, the lowest I've seen them.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

kri kri posted:

I am looking to re-purpose some 8TB easystores as backups. My enclosures they came with I tossed, what is my best bet for an enclosure for a 3.5" drive? Preferably with a USB-C connection.

Sabrent, IcyDock, and StarTech all make good external drive enclosures and docks that would serve this purpose, though most are usually USB 3.0 there are some USB-C ones like this Sabrent dual bay dock. I can't speak to it specifically but I've used docks/enclosures/bay adapters from all three companies and they've all been solid.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

redeyes posted:

Not super cheap but i'd be scared of no Waranty.

This was my thought as well. My guess is that they're old but (hopefully) unused drives, the sale price is pretty consistent with current 18tb drives so that crossed out number is probably MSRP when they were new which was probably 5+ years ago. Looking at reviews for these on other sites it seems like you can actually get WD to register the warranty on them but you have to contact support to do it and they'll hassle you about it, if you just try to register it with the S/N through their site it'll deny you.

It's pretty common to find old enterprise drives for good prices that say they're new and even look like it out of the box but then you run a diag and it pulls hundreds of thousands of hours or run time. It's common enough that most of the resellers have a standard procedure of "If customer is smart enough to find out it's not new, immediately send them an actual new one, we'll still make good profit from all the ones that don't figure it out".

Basically, it's a roll of the dice if you'll a) get an actually unused drive, or b) be able to get the warranty on it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Hey goons I am in need of a mass storage upgrade, since the 4TB external drive I have is getting full and is becoming questionably reliable.

I'd like to replace it with just a Big loving Internal Disk Drive(tm). An actual NAS is beyond my need or budget at the moment, the drive mostly just holds movies/shows and serves a local Plex server which a couple TVs in the house connect to. The system is always on, very rarely powered down.

When looking at large capacity (10TB or so seems to be about the price range I'm looking to spend - £250) drives, there's a lot of stuff advertised as "NAS" or "Enterprise" specifically. What is the actual difference with these, and would it be a Bad Idea(tm) to put one in my system for the use described above?

And I guess regardless of the answer to that question, any recommendations for an actual drive? Been ages since I bought a platter drive.
Typically NAS drives like the WD Red and the Seagate IronWolf drives just mean that they're rated for constant/longer use than something like a WD Blue and also usually include a longer warranty. They'll still work just fine in any machine. Previously we could also say that buying a NAS drive would also guarentee that the drives would be CMR drives and not SMR drives (which, depending on use, can be super slow/bad as NAS drives) but both WD and Seagate have both been caught branding SMR drives as NAS drives. IIRC if you're looking for a huge fuckoff drive then you should be fine as all the SMR drives were in the 2-6TB size range.

Enterprise drives are similar but also tend to be rated for even longer operation and also tend to lack features to reduce noise or improve cooling since the assumption is that they'll be going into a data center where those things aren't really a concern. Buying these online can be a bit of a crap shoot since there are a ton of resellers that advertise them as new but they're actually used drives that have been cycled out of data centers. This doesn't necessarily mean that they're bad, just that they've had a lot of hours of hard use already and that there's likely no warranty on them from the manufacturer.

Personally I use Seagate IronWolfs but I have a couple of Hitachi Constellation Enterprise drives still kicking around in my system that have been working just fine for years despite coming to me used. I bought those because they were half the cost of the NAS drives and I didn't have the budget for new at the time, plus I knew my server was going to live in the basement where drive noise and temps wouldn't be a problem.

Most data hoarders tend to buy external drives and "shuck" them (remove them from their enclosures) because they're frequently the same NAS drives you would normally buy from WD or Seagate but tend to be cheaper. I'd also say don't bother with 7200+ rpm drives, 5400 tends to be fine for NAS use and they're usually a lot quieter.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 29, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

BSD, I just want to reiterate that having someone with your knowledge of the low-level and communication ability is always amazingly helpful, insightful and fun. Thanks for hanging out.

agreed, teaching us something new every day.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Yup, this is exactly why I went with UnRAID. Everything that I can't afford to lose is backed up offsite, and I love being able to add drives as my needs and budget require. Over the past 3 1/2 years I've expanded from 5 to 9 drives, and the only problems I've had were due to a crappy USB port on my motherboard that likes to fry USB drives.

Same. I have what little irreplaceable data I have backed up to Google Drive and my media library is easily replaceable if I ever can't rebuild from parity. For someone with no budget and no Linux experience that just had a lot of old computer hardware laying around and wanted to try out a home server it's been great. I think I started in 2016 with a pair of old 500gb drives and now I have 8 3-4tb drives in my array acquired whenever I had the money and when the existing drives filled up.

It's also great not having Plex on my gaming machine anymore, now if that computer gets messed up I can just nuke Windows and start fresh instead of combing through forum posts from 2007 and digging through the registry for days. Obviously that's not exclusive to unRAID though, that's just a nice benefit of having a home server.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 30, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Sabrent has some good options but you pay for the name there.

Mediasonic has a 4-bay for a good price, I've used their internal drive bay adapters and they've been solid but as a company they're a bit of a mystery, appearing and disappearing every so often.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 2, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I would also say that it sounds like a lot of us adopted unRAID back in like 2016/17 and I don't remember things like TrueNAS or Proxmox seeming nearly as user friendly then, but I may just be misremembering. Looking at both TrueNAS and Proxmox now it does seem like they're all very similar in UI/UX, so I wouldn't say that's as compelling a reason as it used to be.

I also think that the terminology makes a difference, at least for people like me that was just getting into trying a home server/NAS from Windows. I remember reading stuff about creating multiple pools, jails, vdevs, raidz1-3, and feeling overwhelmed. It also didn't help that I'd never even heard of FreeBSD before, I at least had an idea of what Linux was. UnRAID seemed very straightforward with "put all my disks in the one array, create a share, get apps from the CA store." I didn't even have to mess with Docker Compose for containers, just fill in template fields. Again, I'm not saying that it's not that simple in other options but for me at least back then it made more sense conceptually then the TrueNAS stuff did.

The biggest draw for me though was still just the fact that I could throw any drives of any size together in the one array, I didn't need to group drives of the same size together. Since I was building this out of spare parts I didn't have any drives that were the same size at the time so that was my first priority over stuff like data integrity or redundancy.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 4, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I have Sonarr/Radarr backing up to google drive.

Curious what you're using for this.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

I sorta want a NAS that just has 2 drives and can do plex transcoding and run qbitorrent. The boxes out there seem really expensive, is TrueNas/FreeNas/etc software good/stable? Anyone have a pcpartpicker for building a NAS?

Should I go down this road or is it not worth the hassle?

Buy a used Dell Optiplex off eBay or FB Marketplace, load TrueNAS or unRAID on it and you're good to go.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

Oh man those are loving cheap.

Sure you say that now, but just wait until a few years from now when you're staring at the full rack of enterprise server and network gear that is now somehow in your house and refusing to think about how much you've actually spent on it because you know you'll cry.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

That a good price?

That seems about right, but you might be able to find one with 8gb of RAM or potentially even a 5th gen one for a few more bucks. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make though (and a DIY RAM upgrade is cheap and easy).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Klyith posted:

There's a dedicated backup thread where a lot of people like Duplicati, but that's because they're backing up to the cloud and Duplicati is very much optimized for that. IMO it's meh for backing up to your own NAS, because it turns everything into encrypted data chunks that aren't readable if you lose your configuration files.

I recently set up Duplicati for the first time about a month back, admittedly for backing up to Gdrive as Klyith said, but there was definitely an option to create the chunks unencrypted. Not saying that it's the best solution here, I'd leave that to people more knowledgeable than I am but figured I'd mention it.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

I remember when smaller SSDs first started to really get affordable back in 2010 or so and everyone was worried that the drives would burn out after 2 years... Hell I was worried about it myself and I decided against getting one in favor of an upgraded 500gb 2.5in HDD drive for my laptop at the time.

So far to this day I have not even heard OF someone's 64gb drive burning out on them honestly. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but in that same time period (past 12 years), I've had at least 3 3.5in HDD drives fail on me.

That said I'm sure things are very different in a real production environment where the drives are responsible for something more important than delivering my 10 bit chinese cartoons to my chromecast or reading Gamecube ISO files lol.

Yeah, my gaming rig is still booting from a 250gb Samsung 850 Evo I bought in like 2015. 56TB written apparently (though admittedly I've been looking to replace it and my gaming rig is designed to be nuked regularly so I'm not worried about losing anything on it).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I have an HP N54L that’s been spinning the same 4x3tb Reds since 2013. It mostly meets my needs, but it’s full.

I thought about swapping in 2x6tb, but I don’t want to risk rebuilding the array twice and I should probably just build a new machine so I can migrate my data off of hacked-Synology.

Is there a modern equivalent to the n54l? Compact, quiet, “server-ish,” maybe a little transcoding power.

Level1Techs just reviewed a new Microcenter/Supermicro box like the N54L.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Eh, I give it about a month.

Last time I successfully petitioned my wife for a new drive I was like "this should last me like another year!" and then I found myself pleading the case for another drive 3 months later.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MJP posted:

What's the zeitgeist goon opinion on NAS boxes with gig ethernet, two bays, regular old SMB support for doing local Windows file sharing, and maybe decent media transcoding? I have an old Buffalo NAS that's been a workhorse but is definitely slow at file transfers and a real kludge of a user interface.

Extra bonus if it lets me just drop in the two drives I have now, currently in RAID 1.

Alternatively, are there decent PCIe RAID controllers for regular old Windows desktops? I have the physical room for the drives in my machine, might as well cut out the middleman.

If you're storing/collecting media files my only caution would be that you'd be surprised how fast you'll fill up drives depending on what you're storing and how, so two bays might be more limiting than expected. But otherwise like Rexxed said, the Synology boxes seem to work very well as a user-friendly and easy to maintain solution.

For a desktop, I would again agree with Rexxed, hardware RAID is effectively dead, don't bother with it. You can definitely add an HBA expander card in IT mode pretty easily to add more drives than your motherboard supports (I recommend theartofserver for both his YouTube channel containing everything you need to know and his ebay store for quality parts and support. Very cool dude) but if you have enough SATA ports already then you don't really need one. I can't speak to the feasibility of ZFS in Windows, though I'm sure others here could speak to that at length. I would expect the preferred method would be to flip the OS by running a Linux distro that supports all the ZFS features and then have a Windows VM inside that for your regular desktop needs.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Intel gives you ECC on Xeon CPUs only. In the past, the i3 ones had it too, but I think they disabled it nowadays on newer models.

With Ryzen, if a mainboard lists ECC support, and either use a full Ryzen or the Pro version of the APU, you're half-way there. I say half-way, because while ECC works, most BIOSes don't enable error reporting.

I was going to say this. A lot of Ryzen boards "support" ECC memory but disable ECC to do so, which defeats the purpose if that's something you need. Just be sure to check the spec sheet/manual for any boards you consider to check on that as well as XMP compatibility since Ryzen chips seem to care about fast memory more than Intel ones. Not sure how big a different it makes in a NAS but the difference between XMP off and on with the 3600X in my gaming rig is significant.

I'm torn on the issue, I went from an i5-2500T to a Ryzen 1600AF, and now to a 3900X and while I love the cost to performance ratio and core count of the AMD chips there have been plenty of times where I've wished that I had an iGPU for both troubleshooting boot issues and to free up a slot in my server by getting rid of the GPU in it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

They support ECC just fine and is enabled (per chipset register readout), if they specifically mention it. Just that error reporting doesn't (always?) work.

Pretty much every DDR4 capable board "supports" ECC modules, in that the additional 8 lanes, and therefore the ninth memory chip, just get ignored (since the error checking and correction happens on the memory controller on the CPU).

ah, this is good to know! I managed to choose RAM that doesn't have XMP support on my current board back before I knew better, and this gives me more of an excuse to replace it with something that does.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 13, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

Oh there is one in there, but it will be the last one you find, after searching the box 3 times.

No, there isn't one in there, it's in another box and you'll find it the day before the new one you ordered arrives.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I've got three of the G3 Instants and a G3 Flex recording to a 5TB 2.5in 5400rpm SMR Toshiba drive in a CK2+ and writing has been fine. Actually playing back video can be a pretty slow process sometimes though. If that'll work then I feel like almost anything will.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Absolutely not, that's just media. Which is why I'm being a cheapskate about it. I can re-download almost all of it but would prefer to not have to, because it's still a huge amount of manual work.

The important & non-replaceable files are already being synced to Google Drive & OneDrive both using "Synology Cloud Sync"

I will say, it doesn't have to be a lot of manual work if you set up some of the "arr" apps. Rather than backup your media you can backup the databases for Radarr/Sonarr/Lidarr and if you ever lose the media they can do most of the heavy lifting in searching and pulling down replacements. Much smaller backup.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

I want to get rid of Spotify. It is really getting to my nerves with all the crapware and hostile features. What are my options? Like, I want to host my own private Spotify for myself. I can probably make a PC with VM's and run some OS on one VM.

Which OS would be good for:
1. host audio files
2. stream said files to different devices

Which software would be good to listen to the music in different devices (android, windows etc).?

There is Plex for video content. Is there anything similar for audio content? Thanks.

I haven't' used it myself so I can't speak to how good it is, but Plex also does audio (PlexAmp).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Kind of a combo NAS/Plex/home networking question - I initially had my Synology NAS on a VLAN that can't see the internet, and just used it within my house. Then I started backing up to iDrive , and used the IP addresses that iDrive handily provides to poke holes in my firewall (USG) to allow that connection.

Now I have Plex, and that kind of doesn't work without seeing the internet. I'm still only using it at home (at the moment), but I like the metadata and everything. But it's less obvious how to poke holes for Plex.

Is there a better way to do this? Do I need to be doing this at all? What's the best practice here?

Setting up a Reverse Proxy is the first thing that comes to mind. Basically, set up a domain, either by buying one or using https://duckdns.org to create one for free, have subdomains for whatever service you need, like plex.mydomain.com and idrive.webdomain.com. Then for those services, instead of pointing them at your public IP you point them to those webdomains so all their traffic comes to your network over port 80/443. Then you have a tool like Nginx Proxy Manager route that traffic to the appropriate location/port inside your network based on what subdomain it came from. It can even handle creating SSL certs via LetsEncrypt right in the GUI, or you can generate a wildcard cert from Cloudflare and use that, no messing around in config files. The only firewall stuff you have to do is point ports 80/443 to your proxy.

Getting this set up for me was a godsend, no more messing with port-forwarding on the router and sending them an IP address whenever my friends want me to spin up a Minecraft server, now it's just "create minecraft.scruffmcgruff.com in Cloudflare, create a corresponding endpoint in NPM, send traffic to the appropriate container IP:Port" and then tell them to just put in minecraft.scruffmcgruff.com.

Ibracorp has a good guide on YouTube on how to set this up. It's for Unraid/Docker but the config of the domain stuff and NPM are the same regardless of how you implement it.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 23, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there an instruction on how to set up a synology nas such that I could connect to certain internal pages (e.g, pihole config) from outside the network?

Like deong said, setting up a VPN like Tailscale or Wireguard is probably the best way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

datajosh posted:

Not even sure if this is the "proper" thread, but I want to gently caress around at work and be able to access my Plex server, but they have Plex.tv blocked. What's the best/easiest way to get around that? I've got the ports open and I can access my home server by IP and even tried adding my work IP to addresses allowed without auth, but it just redirects me to a page that complains about not being able to reach plex.tv.

I remember a few years back I used to have some basic rear end proxy software running on my Windows PC that I could send web traffic through that would probably fix this, but I can't remember what it was called and have no idea if it still works.

If you have your own domain you can hit your plex through that, so instead of going to app.plex.tv you're going to plex.yourdomain.com.