Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC I am in the same boat. I am just not confident about Microsoft fixing their WHS bugs seeing as how long it has taken them to fix, then reading this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=413

I read somewhere that Microsoft is already working on WHS v2, which is based on Server 2008. Hopefully they will have things ironed out by then.

I think I might go unRaid as well - it sounds like you can do multiple drives and use logical shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I would be really interested to hear any hands on experiences with UnRaid. I am looking to move away from my WHS (performance, corruption bug) to UnRaid.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

$13 SYBA SD-SATA150R PCI SATA Controller Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006
specs: http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/39
Silicon Image SIL 3112 host controller chip

$19 SYBA SD-SATA-4P PCI SATA Controller Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020
specs: http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/34
Silicon Image SIL 3114 host controller chip

Is it worth getting 3Gbps cards?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can the DNS-323 run sabnzbd?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone running a unRaid server? I am thiking of switching over from WHS since my performance is terrible.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I need some help thinking through things. Currently I am running WHS on my old desktop box. 6 hard drives, etc. Performance ranges from decent to terrible. I like that I can run sabnzbd and everything else easily.

I would like however to go a little greener (as my new company has me thinking about these things) and I am weighing the decision to either get new 'greener' parts and switch to Unraid, or should I get some d-link dns-323s. I usually have my desktop running, so I could still run the apps I want and just have the network storage.

Thoughts?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

HPL posted:

The DNS-323 is cheap, quiet, works fairly well and is quite hackable if you're so inclined. 1TB hard drives are starting to get reasonable in price, so it's not a stretch to get a DNS-323 and a couple of 1TB drives. D-Link seems to be responsive to the community and has a representative posting on the hack forum providing support and gathering feedback.

Wiki: http://wiki.dns323.info/
Forum: http://forum.dsmg600.info/

Is there any way to use combine multiple dlinks and use them just as 1 logical drive?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

HPL posted:

I'm pretty sure it does because I recall doing the setup wizard, seeing the JBOD option and description and thinking "Nah, I don't want that".

How is yours set up now? I would like to have 1 logical drive rather then multiple if I could get away with it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

stephenm00 posted:

Just to compare speeds. I am getting 80 Mb/s + read speed on my unraid box. Also I built my box fairly power efficient: 35W conroe L, 80+ power supply and with 3 drives fully spun up I use about 61W of power.

Thanks a lot for sharing. Can you post the links of your components? I think that would help quite a bit, you could also get Teamdest to post a link in the OP.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Currently my server runs:

Abit An8-32x
AMD 3800+
2 gb ram
Windows home server

I want to switch to a more power efficient server and a new low power intel chip. What is my best path forward?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can anyone recommend me a solid, reliable standalone NAS solution that costs under $300 but preferably in the $100-200 range? I don't need it to do anything fancy like stream to my 360, although it would be nice. I just need something to serve up files within my network, maybe even remotely and support read/write permissions. I really have no idea which companies to look at.

D-Link DNS-323?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the $300 cap includes drives.

Hmm. Yeah as mentioned that will be tough. Although drive prices are really cheap now, and I think you can find a 323 for $125 or so. Might work.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tehschulman posted:

Anyone used the Acer easyShare H340 4-bay home server? Getting mine today and interested to hear feedback about the unit. I'll report back when I get it up and running.

Isn't this a WHS box? We have a WHS thread :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Greyhole looks nice, but I am a little hesitant since it looks like a personal project of this dude. Let me know if you get it running.

I wish greyhole worked on other OS than just Fedora.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 27, 2010

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is anyone using Greyhole? If so what are your impressions?

http://www.greyhole.net/

Apparently the GUI works with Ubuntu now.

http://getsatisfaction.com/greyhole/topics/is_there_a_gui_for_greyhole

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Scuttle_SE posted:

Looking to move my 20 or so disk fileserver over to greyhole in the very near future. Been testing it out in a virtual setup and it seems to work just fine. It doesn't really do anything weird, so if bad comes to worse, you can easily pull your files from the pool-disks.

Which OS will you be using? I am considering a move from whs v1 I would be curious as to how your migration goes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does the Synology have drive pooling or just RAID?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can unraid run sabnzbd and utorrent?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, why did they take out a great feature like that? It was actually one of my choices before getting a ReadyNAS.

Couldn't get it working correctly with some small business applications. There are a few DE replacements coming out.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New DSM stuff, looks like they are bringing out USB 3.0 models too

http://homeservershow.com/new-synol...+Server+Show%29

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why does it come disabled?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Ah, OK. Got the terminology mixed up there. I guess I'm looking for an appliance then if a NAS is a recommended choice.

Would a NAS be the cheapest and most reliable solution to store ~20TB of data? After doing a little research on Google, people recommend tape drives and tapes for storage too as well as using online storage sites like Carbonite to save a second set of that data should the hardware fail. $60/year to store an unlimited amount of data seems like a bargain.

Is there even a single NAS that can store 20tb? If you want that much data just get a norco server box.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Roving Reporter posted:

After reading the past 10+ pages, I'm looking towards a N40L once another sale pops up. The $180/190/200 prices are too good, especially since I already have 2 x 4TB drives. Then, roll that saving into another 2TB drive or i3 HTPC to transcode/stream/SABnzbd/etc. So, far my OS prospects are WHS2011 with either Flexnas/DriveBender/DrivePool.

Most of my data is replaceable media, so allowing me to duplicate only the files/folders I care about is key instead of a RAID solution. Plus, I really would rather not spend too much time learning something new.

I was looking at the Synology boxes with 4 bays(mainly the DS411 variations), and while seemingly nice, are much more expensive than the N40L. The feature set doesn't seem to be that much more than WHS2011, only that it comes installed with their own propriety OS, right? I'm trying to see the comparison along with pros and cons and price difference.

I have WHS 2011 and Drivepool. Everything works perfectly fine, and the UI is pretty nice even if I hardly use it. I added some disks and its dead simple. I would say if you want to run a windows-based setup you can't go wrong with WHS 2011 (which is currently on sale at newegg for $43 or so I think) and one of the drive pooling addons. I can't really come up with any negatives.

Is there a recommended external esata enclosure thats not stupid expensive to go along with the n40l? My homebuilt machine I am tiring of, fairly loud and overkill for what I use my server for.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jeeves posted:

So I am tired of FreeNAS 8 being a piece of poo poo, and if I am going to go to the hassle of copying/rebuilding my NAS, I think I am just going to pop a video card in it and have it output to video for watching movies. My NAS is only ever on for when I stream stuff off of it anyhow.

Therefore, I think I am going to put Windows on an SSD, for quick boot. And hell, if I am putting Windows on it, I think I am just going to make a VM server to run the NAS disks on through Windows, incase I need to move my NAS to a new hardware without having to rebuild the software raid.

Great idea or horrible idea?

Sounds like it would be much easier to just put windows home server on it, which is like $50

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

N40L? Processor is weak but you hardly need any CPU to serve files to HTPCs.

$200 on frequent sale, spend the money you saved on bath salts or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Ok, sounds like good points. Where on earth did you find one for $200? I'm looking and finding nothing less than ~$350. Well, Ebay has it for $255.xx +$129 shipping

Set up a camelx3 alert, they go on sale a lot. I got mine from Newegg for $200.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Daviclond posted:

I'm looking to build a cheap, low power and quiet combined NAS/HTPC using a J1900 SoC board (the Asrock Q1900-ITX, quad core 2.4 GHz burst speed).
Build a real NAS and run Plex through a chromecast?

I run a Windows 8 machine with drivepool and Plex media server. The only thing I really miss is 24fps video output, but I can live.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Skandranon posted:

I ran my Unraid server with a very similar setup, and it worked great for a number of years. I recently switched to using SnapRaid, which has a similar idea, but more flexible. Either one will allow you to easily add new disks (assuming they are smaller than the largest you have), and even if you are upgrading your Parity drive(s), it can be done without destroying the array. Another nice thing about Unraid/SnapRaid is that, if your array DOES become broken, you only lose data on the drives that died. The remaining drives are still perfectly accessible drives all by themselves, and can be moved to another machine with no effort.

Can you expand on why you switched from unraid to snapraid? What OS are you running now?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

lostleaf posted:

I've been looking at the ts140 for a bit. They sometimes show up on slickdeals with a xeon for 280. Is the xeon premium worth it over an i3? The plan is just transcoding 3-4 1080 streams concurrently along with maybe some VM stuff. The VM is just for screwing around. I don't actually have any utility for it.

Also my current storage is going to be adequate for the foreseeable future. The current plan is just to transplant the existing disks into the new nas.

I would just swing for the Xeon. Imagine if you got the i3 and it didn't perform well enough; yeah you could probably return it but how much of a pain would it be.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking to re-purpose some 8TB easystores as backups. My enclosures they came with I tossed, what is my best bet for an enclosure for a 3.5" drive? Preferably with a USB-C connection.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the help y'all. I think I am actually just going to use my toaster and some of these bad boys, as I don't really need them in an enclosure unless they are getting backed up at my desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZFD6VG/?th=1

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I have an unraid server that has been running terrifically for two years, but was running out of drive capacity. Got a new drive today, it's in and preclearing. Is there any value to trying to move things off other drives (the most packed drive is at 92% capacity), will unraid do that itself, or is it just something to not care about?

Not something to care about. Install the new drive, set the new drive and rebuild parity.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Thank you both! It's up and running now, I went through my shares and checked the split levels/made sure they were set to use all drives. If the 92% keeps going up I'll look into moving some stuff, otherwise I'll leave things as they are.

I was tempted in the same way when I moved to unraid to stress about fill levels. Honestly just ignore it, unraid is there to just take care of everything. I haven't worried or cared about how full my drives have gotten since then.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I recently purchased 3x 14TB easy stores. Two out of the three failed preclear in their enclosures. Test your drives folks!!

Also the recent posts about unraid match mine. I have been using it since 2016 and it’s been virtually bulletproof. Sitting at 104TB with one more 14tb to swap in, it’s such a nice solution.

Just started to get into Borg backup, playing around with borgmatic and Vorta2. Vorta is a nice gui layer over borg. I have set up 4 external drives so far and it’s working well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What do people like for intel boards these days for z690 or z790? Gonna be paired with an intel i3 13th gen running unraid. Thinking of the MSI boards. Budget under $300 I guess?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm giving myself new and exciting brainworms fantasizing about setting up a NAS.

I’m in the middle of a migration, feels good man.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Big boy Nas is when you outgrow the QNAP :agesilaus:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Make sure you have the latest app data plug-in, it was forked a bit ago

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Artofserver or whatever can probably do it

Purchased 2 hba cards via their store and they worked perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU