Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

VostokProgram posted:

At the place I last worked, the way we set up our servers and test hardware was basically: take a room, put in high current outlets, put in some ac, add racks/shelves.

Literally there's a loving room where it has plate glass windows that don't insulate for poo poo and 3 portable AC units for cooling. In southern California. It hosts loving compile farm blade servers. That room is hot. Also, the servers are on UPS but the AC units are not, so whenever there's a power outage (and by God are there power outages) my coworkers would scramble to hard unplug all the blade servers before they burned the building down.

Management knew this was a problem, but didn't care. :shrug:

At a large software company in the Pacific Northwest, there was a hubbub shortly before I started as an intern. They took over the third floor offices that had a nice view to turn a series of them into a test lab filled with machines. This was because the building they purchased from another company turned out to not have the electrical capacity they thought in order to turn the whole thing into a server farm.

Unfortunately, the team in the building with the nice view desperately needed the lab space and so they cannibalized the least populated part of the building so that they could quickly do the build out. I don't think it was crazy hot, but it was definitely an unfortunate space to be converting to a lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Something something about buying drives that had a model number off by one for compatibility. Drives failed to rebuild in the raid array so trying with some other drives I’d bought right before.

Please pray to the RAID Rebuild deities that I manage to finish the rebuild without having to restore from any backups for me. Thanks.

EDIT: edit is not quote goddammit.

rufius fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 7, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Well. The rebuild is half done.

Two of the drives that are compatible aren’t registering in the QNAP. I’ve ruled out hardware in the QNAP as the old drives rebuild just fine.

I have seen rumor that sometimes drives SMART settings are goofed and the QNAP smartmon equivalent isn’t very good at recovering the settings to a desirable state.

From what I’ve read I’ll have to load up the drives on my PC and use smartmon tools to unfuck them. Bleh.

At least I have four drives and the array is in a good state. Even if only half done with expansion.

At least this time the drives didn’t get halfway through and fail. They just straight up don’t load. Given that 2 of 4 drives aren’t getting read, I feel pretty good this is the SMART settings thing.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brain65 posted:

What do you guys think about TerraMaster F4-210? https://www.newegg.ca/p/14P-006A-00018?Item=9SIACN59BH4380. Anything comparable or better in <500USD price range? Sound is not an issue... (trying to upgrade from a 8 year-old ReadyNAS that is having network problems atm)

Sucks about the ReadyNAS :(.

sharkytm posted:

Never heard of them. Synology or QNap are always good choices. The Synology ds418 or 418play are good, and in your price range. The 918+ is $550 or so. Check out smallnetbuilder for reviews.

I really like my QNAP (TVS-471). At the time I bought it, it was around $1k.

A cheaper 4-drive model they sell now is the TS-451+ (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015VNLGF8/) and it’d likely be up to most folks needs. It’s $390 without drives.

From what I can tell biggest difference from my TVS-471 is expansion card options and max ram (I have 16GB in mine).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

cr0y posted:

The only thing I have in 4k is some movies, and generally i'll have a duplicate lower quality version of the same movie for streaming. Kind of clunky, I'd like to be able to transcode 4k down to 1080p but right now it's not a huge issue. I figure I might throw a GPU in it down the road but it's not a priority at the moment. In terms of total concurrent users I am probably maxing out at less than 5. Thanks for the heads up on the ram, I'll up it to 32gb.

Not that you should do this, but in my case, I only share my library with my family and a couple friends. I actually run a NAS with a Core i3 in it and I explicitly disable transcoding. Anyone that wants to use the Plex has to have a device capable of doing Direct Play though I have gigabit so multiple 4K streams offloading my network is easy.

Anyway, that’s a long way of saying I wouldn’t get a GPU if you don’t have to. Get your end users to use a device like an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield Pro so that they can Direct Play the content. That way your server just focuses on moving bits.

Otherwise it the build seems really powerful. Probably overkill if it’s just serving media though I guess it depends if you’re gonna transcode. My QNAP serves ~10 users streaming 4K via Direct Play with ease.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Wait they added this?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If you turn that on, what does that mean? If I try to watch a movie or show on my phone over cellular data it would force me to watch it at the highest quality with no option to lower it? Or am I reading that wrong?

Correct. It forces Plex to just serve the file as is. There’s no transcoding/encoding/decoding. Plex is literally just doing:

- Plex reads file from disk
- Plex writes to network socket
- listener reads from socket
- listener does the decode on their side.

In practice this means that if you have h265 content, the client device must be able to decode it. All of the client devices connected to my Plex, whether remote or local are Apple TV 4K so they can do that fine.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That does sound awesome except I can see it being a huge problem if I ever want to watch something on my phone and I don't want to destroy my data cap watching one movie or something

Just curious but what if you had that enabled and did want to watch something on your phone over cell data?

So first things first - it comes down to feature detection. The Plex server doesn’t care about the content/encoding of the file. The client has to be able to decode it or it will just throw a failure at you. This happens most often trying to play h265 content in the Web Player because most browsers don’t support h265 playback natively yet even if the system can handle it. My household is mainly an Apple devices bunch and we’re relatively up to date. We use Infuse Pro as the Plex client on most things (Apple TV, iPhone, iPad).

As to playing back over cellular, it would depend on the quality of cell signal obviously. 4K content encoded as h265 is usually at around 40-45mbps depending on the options chosen.

I have AT&T and my LTE signal usually gets me about 125-200mbps consistently if I’m in a good coverage area. That’s plenty to watch the movie but the movie is probably 15-25GB in total size.

This scenario isn’t common for me. I typically don’t watch anything on my phone like that. I might do it on my iPad Pro but I would typically sync the files to the device.

The primary use case I have for remote access is family using my Plex library on their home internet via an Apple TV or iPad.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Plex has an offline mode where you can transcode and transfer the content to your mobile devices but I don't remember if that was a PlexPass feature or not. I'll play media over the Internet on occasion and you can setup remote over-the-Internet playback to be transcode enabled to reduce bandwidth if desired.

Yup - this.

To be clear - I only disable all this because a good chunk of my library is x265 while the processor isn’t natively able to transcode x265 with any real performance. Also - I’m optimizing for my use case and devices.

If the lion’s share of your content is x264, just leave transcoding on. It’s easy peasy for most any decently powered machine.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I have recently set up a small personal Pi 4 webserver and I'm looking at storage options.

:words:

More specifically, I don't care if it dies and the server goes down for a while, but I'm worried it could potentially somehow brick both hard disks at the same time. Is that a valid concern at all?

brains posted:

So I ran a similar setup for a couple years, using a pi 3b and a pair of external USB hdds on a powered hub and set up samba for network access. Honestly, the point of failure here is the pi itself, unfortunately. The filesystem is very sensitive to corruption from unscheduled power interruptions. After the first few times my various high-quality SD cards died, I moved to booting off a USB thumb drive and that gave me the longest period of stability, but even it eventually corrupted and died too. With a webserver or any 24/7 program that writes continuously (think logs), you run a real risk of filesystem corruption if the power supply varies even a little.

That said, every time the pi died, the data on my HDDs was completely fine, so it really wasn't much impact overall. Get everything set up and then image your SD card so you can just clone it when the install corrupts and get back up and running quickly.

Ya - RPi isn’t great for anything you want to set and forget.

I actually bought a cheap little Celeron-based NUC that I do this with. Something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XRG5YL8/

I run a DNS-over-TLS unbound Forwarder and a WireGuard VPN Server off of it. I’d recommend springing for something like that - it’s very well suited to those tasks and won’t suffer the pier related downfalls of the RPi.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

NUCs are great, but really pricey for what they are.

Look on eBay for the Dell Optiplex 3050 SFFs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OptiP...bYAAOSwXQpexbs5

Massively upgrade-able, and super small footprint and low power. Socketed CPU, DDR4 SODIMM, both M2 and 2.5" Disk.

Oooo neat. I've been on the hunt for a slightly more powerful variant. Colour me intrigued.

That also solves a use-case I have - moving a WireGuard VPN to my parents house for me to use for remote administration of their network.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

HP and Lenovos have versions as well.

Ya - I had seen these before and have in fact worked on some of them. It just never occurred to me that I should use one as a network appliance. In my head, I was stuck in this idea that those are little desktop machines.

That said, I picked up one of the slightly newer ones - a 3070 for a couple hundred off. Will provision that one as my network appliance and repurpose the other one for my parents.

Good call.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I apparently unreasonably expect something called pihole that's been around for years now to have a very low i/o footprint due to the same reasons that are listed here. Nothing but basic config documents should be persisted to disk. Databases can be downloaded per boot. Stats can be lost on unclean reboot. If you desperately want to it could be persisted on clean reboot.

Random side projects people throw together on the weekend that churn through SD cards? Sure.

I mean it’s the intersection of people that look at RPi and think “tiny computer! Treat it the same as usual Linux distro” and embedded hardware.

Building for embedded scenarios is a different game than usual desktop/server setups. The disparity in this is entirely unsurprising to me.

Much as we, software engineers, would like to treat the hardware as abstracted away, in many cases it is most definitely not.

That said - your expectations are reasonable, it’s just that everyone else is goobying poo poo up.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I tried it out for this reason, I grew bored of it because it's a constant cat and mouse game of it not working subtly. My impression of pihole is similar to above in general.

Smashing Link posted:

I'm running it in a docker...seems to work well. Certainly doesn't cause any headaches for me.

I mean adblocking is always cat and mouse. That said I’ve been happily using nextdns.io. I also still have browser adblockers too.

NextDNS.io has been blocking a lot stuff from these gooby rear end IOT outdoor cameras I have

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Hopefully the forums will skate through on Jeff's cryptodosh. Someone pointed out in the big thread that Bitcoin saving SA was loving :lol:

In my run up to creating a bigger pool for myself, I've been Hoovering up 8TB EasyStores around town. Bestbuy has them 60$ off, coming out to 150 and change after tax. That's a pretty good deal right :ohdear: So far all the ones I've found have been from Thailand, which I understand increases the odds I'll get 256mb cache rather than 128 from Chinese drives.

Haven't actually shucked any yet, been running Smart tests just through their USB. I was going to try and do a badblocks run, but that poo poo was going to take 15 days over USB2 so I nope'd out of that one. A Smart short and long test should be enough for supposedly new drives, right?

I debated doing this and ended up going with the Ultrastar data center drives. I don’t have anywhere to put a bigger array with more redundant array setup. I’ve just got my little 4 bay QNAP and no where else at the moment.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, I bought the 8TB because I read about the 2-6TB range being SMR. I have no experience with large drives in general and this is my first time using a NAS so I was worrying they could somehow still be SMR despite nobody discovering it yet? I guess not.

But I did some more research into my rsync issue and seems like most people experience some sort of slowdown or stalling in between files.

Yesterday when I was copying files it still showed some slowdown between files and the drives were noisy all the time. I left the NAS turned on overnight and today when I am copying files it's awfully quiet and there's barely any stalling in between :iiam:

Could it be that after certain amount of GB the mirror is balancing files between the two drives and that's why the increase in activity and slowdown?

I mean, there’s also a question of networking hardware. There’s more pieces in play here than the NAS and its hard drives.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you do on this array that would benefit from the increased IOPS?

Ya this.

If it’s media, spinning rust is good. Reading big files in order is what it’s good at.

Buncha small files is where SSD will win.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do we have any opinion on QNAP? I'm looking at their 2020 product stack and edging towards them over Synology.

I really like my little TVS-471. I would definitely buy another QNAP. Had bad exp with Synology previously so I’m wary to try them again.

If i strayed from QNAP, it’d be to a FreeNAS device.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

insta posted:

The "obsolete technology" thread laughed at anybody who's using RAID5 -- and while I sorta laughed along with them, I quickly ran over here to see what I "should" be doing instead, or if what I have is good enough.

My current fileserver setup is:

* Ubuntu 19.04
* Athlon(tm) 5350 APU
* 16GB RAM
* LSI SAS2008 HBA in IT mode
* 4x (eventually 8x?) WD Red 6TB
* mdadm RAID-5
* LVM volume
* ext4 filesystem

I have Totally Cool and Totally Not :filez: things running, but not Plex.

Am I doing something wrong? :ohdear:

RAID5 is fine as long as you’re not running pre-spun drives or lovely cheap drives. RAID6 is usually what folks like if your drives are a little suspect.

I run RAID5 in my little 4-bay with the HGST Ultrastar drives. They’re the ones Backblaze has had the lowest failure rates on so I’m pretty confident I’ll have a shot at replacing a drive in a timely manner if I run into an issue.

The biggest point, as always, is that RAID is not backup. You should have a redundancy plan of some sort for your system. In my case, I’ve got weekly/daily backups of data to Backblaze and AWS. I only duplicate my ripped music/BluRays to Backblaze but my family photos get synced to AWS as well.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Saukkis posted:

Sometimes RAID5 is not enough. At work we have a Dell MD1200 disk shelf that is close to five years old. Twelve 4TB SAS drives, 10 of which have been replaced at some point in time. In the past six months we've had three cases where 2 drives have failed exactly at the same time, last one a week ago. We have been dodging bullets like in Matrix. Thankfully there are only two original drives remaining, so when they fail in some weeks the chances of a third drive failure aren't that high.

This is pretty incomprehensible case. We have loads of these disk shelves and I don't know of any other that has exhibited this behaviour. And I can't think of an external reason that could cause this. We have very reliable electricity, the server is behind UPS and I know of one power glitch this year and it doesn't match with any of the drive failures.

Ooh ya, if you’ve got more than 4 bays I’d run RAID6. I should have caveated that.

My next one will probably be 8 bay and I’m gonna run RAID6 in there, most likely.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's the most secure method of making a NAS accessible via the internet in TYOOL 2020? I"m sure the answers will differ based on the product, but I'm more generally curious.
For example I've used SSH on FreeNAS and port forwarded my router to the NAS so I can browse wiles with WinSCP or just map them as SMB shares.
What's more preferable to that? OpenVPN? I don't really see that as an advantage.

OpenVPN would be fine for securing though perf is poor if you have a good internet connection. I have Gigabit so that’s my point of reference.

I have a WireGuard VPN setup that all my devices have profiles for. I use that to do phone backup of photos and videos as well as accessing things off the NAS.

I generally don’t expose SSH directly to the internet but that’s a personal preference. Mostly, WireGuard has better perf if you’re doing significant file transfer.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not and really I'm just looking for something convenient so I can get to files from any computer. OpenVPN would still require me to download the client and all my traffic would be tunneled which is not only slightly inconvenient, but might also raise some eyebrows at work.
But the reason I ask is because I would also rather not expose SSH to the internet. Synology seems to have a decent solution for this but I'm unsure of the tech behind it. Like how is it accomplished?

If I were going to replicate with FreeNAS should I use HTTPS via SSL and something like Let's Encrypt for a CA?

What kind of files are you wanting to access. Generically, NextCloud is good for a lot of things. If it’s media, Plex does a good job in my experience. I expose my Plex instance though it’s locked to limited users.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Doesn't have to https://openvpn.net/for/split-tunneling-with-access-server/

If you just want to get to your totally legal backup copies of your music, Plex is very good, btw

Re: Plex - and if you didn’t know, Plexamp is a thing and it’s quite nice.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

4K transcoding is REALLY intensive. My dual 2667 V2 server can handle one 4K transcode, a second one simultaneously makes it cry.

If I ever start archiving 4K content it'll be kept private until Plex supports "disable transcode by library". Even then I might pick up a GPU.

I disable any transcoding for my library. I share the library with a few family members that all have gigabit and Apple TV 4Ks. That handy since their devices can just decode x265 without issue.

I just didn’t see any win in supporting the transcode.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Are there any serious contenders to Synology or QNAP for the “I don’t want to have to think about this NAS for the next five years” market?

Bonus if they can run light Plex, and maybe a docker image or two. I’m guessing it’s down to the above two or rolling my own but if it’s down to just building a PC the value prop will have to be amazing to get me invested with time..

Only thing you didn’t mention was a prebuilt TrueNAS (formerly FreeNAS) system. Similarly point and click to QNAP or Synology.

I like my QNAP TVS-471 for what it’s worth. But at the time of purchase, that was $1600 outlay with drives.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

TrueNAS Core is DIY though - not something you buy off the shelf, start up, set up, and forget about.

I must be misremembering then. I was thinking these were pretty point and click: https://www.truenas.com/truenas-mini/

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

EC posted:

1) Yeah I've seen Docker mentioned in the SAB thread so I'll check out some tutorials.
2) Good to know! Thanks. :)
3) Yeah, all local streaming. Living in the sticks means that I have lovely internet. :/

I'll check the videos and see what I can come up with. I have a Shield for my stuff so it'll just be doing direct playback, so it's only the FIL's Apple TV that might require transcoding. I have to imagine anything would be better than what I have now.

If his Apple TV is the 4K mode, it should be able to direct play HEVC (x265). The minimum processor is the A9.

That said, they still sell the Apple TV HD which has an A8.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I hadn't considered using Plex and/or Nextcloud for my photos/videos backup from my phone. Are there apps that mimic the google photos auto-backup feature but with NC or Plex as the destination?

Also, what function is Cloudflare serving in this setup? Dynamic DNS?

Caveat: requires QNAP device.

I use the Qfile app as a secondary backup of photos on my phone. They go into user directories that then get backed up nightly to Backblaze.

This solution works well. I’ve never tried the Plex variant though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I have an Unraid server with 42TB, that qualifies, right?

Yes, though you’ll need to purchase a Synology DS720+.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's not really ready for a real deployment yet. I'd wait another few months until its feature complete unless you're putting it on a "loving around on" box. Regular TrueNas core and TrueNas scale will both use the same file system so you can literally just overwrite the BSD based OS of TrueNAS core with Scale when it's ready, remount your zRaid arrays and be back up and running unless you're also running a bunch of jails or whatever which won't work in Scale I'd imagine.

What would people recommend for a silent NAS build for a TrueNAS setup? An Atom based system? It would be doing Plex serving, and possibly some transcoding of 4k, as well as some light server work with stuff like Sonarr and Nextcloud.

Keep in mind if you’re gonna transcode 4K AND it’s x265, you’re gonna want a video card. Unless it’s a higher end CPU, I’ve not seen great transcode performance of x265 from CPUs.

If you’re doing x264, then ignore that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

PitViper posted:

Adding to this, what would be a decent lower-cost card to do transcoding or encoding to x265? I've been upgrading a lot of stuff to 4k x265, but a few clients choke on it. Plus I'd like to add OTA capture, and encode those captures down as small as possible. Currently my NAS is a desktop running Ubuntu LTS and a ZFS pool.

In the past I’ve seen the Nvidia 1030 come up. It comes in a low profile format.

Other ideas I’ve seen thrown around is running Plex on an odroid or RPi-esque thing.

I’ve never done the odroid thing so no real experience.

In my case, for a short while I ran Plex on my workstation box which has a 1080Ti in it. That worked well enough but I’ve since forced all of my family onto Apple TV 4k’s and they all have gigabit.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wouldn't something like this work fine for the GPU for the transcoding?

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-PCI-E2-0-Graphics-ZT-71302-20L/dp/B01AZ7W88O/?tag=akshatblog198-20

Does TrueNAS support GPU passthrough for Plex to actually use it?

Not if you want to do HEVC/x265. That codec is most commonly used these days for UHD/4K content.

Enos Cabell posted:

According to this chart https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding that 710 doesn't support H.265. Looks like you'd want at least a 1030

I also run a QuadroP2000 and it JustWorks

e: just checked amazon/ebay and you can pick up a p2000 for less than I paid a few years ago for one, which you can't really say for any other GPUs right about now

Correct. The 1030 is usually the cheapest for a low profile design. I don’t know much about the p2000 but what Enos said.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

Yeah the people I’m working with frequently don’t trust those services and uttering the words “open source” is the incantation they need to feel safe about the kind of stuff we’re working on. No I don’t know why Synology drive was considered safe enough.

“Security minded” but technologically illiterate and knows/trusts open source.

That is one weird little intersection.

Well, you do you boo.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

What's the go-to these days if I just want something cheap and low power (a Celeron J-whatever is fine given it supports AES-NI) to chuck some 3.5 drives in? I really don't want a full size PC or even a SFF, and don't really want to tinker with it either. Synology boxes seem to be in the $700+ range easy. Buffalo/QNAP seem to be walking worm food?

I like my QNAP. I’m indifferent to Synology but friends have had more trouble with theirs than I’ve had with QNAP.

I think it’s a toss up between the two. There’s alwAys a risk with a managed appliance like that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

For any QNAP users (like me), here's a fun one: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26986272

Basically - someone named Walter Shao at QNAP hard coded walter:walter in a bunch of places in the backup software (HybridBackup).

An article with links to CVE's: https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2021/04/26/qnap-nas-ransomware/

I wasn't affected, but I also don't expose mine to the internet directly.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Crunchy Black posted:

gently caress's sake we have like 100+ older QNAPs in prod

goddamnit.

I mean it’s bad, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not like this is the first major bug of its kind in this kind of software.

It just underscores the importance of not directly exposing a device that wasn’t explicitly designed to sit on the public internet.

Near as I can tell, the people getting owned had theirs exposed somehow, whether directly or via UPnP.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Axe-man posted:

Another thing I have seen is that a computer on the network was compromised and then sent out scripts that exposed the NAS to the internet after. Might be a good idea to lock down your network and do a virus check on all those computers that are a bit questionable *cough*kids*coughs*.

That still sounds like it violates my assertion. That implies that the device has a public IP and just happens to have been configured to not expose common services.

I’d say the only safe way to have an appliance like that, QNAP or not, is private routing only. If you need access off network, setup a VPN.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Routers come with some pretty bizarre defaults (UPnP for example) that allow for this sort of thing. I know that xbox and playstation or whatever require it to host games, but they shouldn't, they should broker games remotely especially if you have to pay :10bux: to play online. Router manufacturers should start clamping down on this, especially with ip6 becoming a default option any decade now. Or ISPs should set a deadline on "no open ports for residential internet" and enforce it. Make people pay extra to open a port, it will make the internet safer.

Oh I know. That’s why I brought up UPnP I my previous post.

Either way - UPnP is a Bad Thing (tm).

I discovered my old router had UPnP when my QNAP told me there were a bunch of failed authentications.

I was irate at both QNAP and the router manufacturer for doing UPnP at all.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

spincube posted:

I find Plex/Jellyfin/etc slightly awkward for playing music, so I'm currently using Airsonic-advanced as a fancy metadata wrapper for my music; Navidrome is also pretty and useful. Both can either play your music through a web browser, or on a mobile device using an airsonic-compatible app.

If you’re on a mobile device, check out PlexAmp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

ilkhan posted:

What's the best way to transfer the data? Gbit is going to take a while, but I can't see any real alternative at this point.

I transferred about 40TB over gigabit. Took a while, but it wasn’t like I needed the data to be instantaneously live so I just ignored it and checked in every morning till it finished.

If you got real obsessive, expansion cards for 2.5/5/10Gbe are options. Theoretically they unlock a workstation role as well especially if you go 10Gbe.

I considered that but never hard enough to figure it out since I don’t have that need.