Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it worth going for a networkable Drobo instead of using Storage Spaces? I understand anything with Storage Spaces will probably require USB 3.0 as most eSATA ports will have trouble seeing multiple devices. There's also the problem of despite being in a small apartment I want something in a different spot than the main PC in the event of disaster / theft as I could probably conceal the Drobo fairly well.

My plan is to put my current 2TB + 500GB + 500GB drives into something and perhaps swap out everything with 3TB WD Reds over time, as I know Drobo will *hate* that first config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Here's my scenario:

-Fast 512GB SSD
-2TB WD Green
-4TB WD Red
-Unlimited gigabit internet
-Old Intel Sandforce 480GB SSD (I want to use BitLocker which conflicts with the Sandforce de-dupe / compression stuff but not enough to matter and certainly still faster than the Green).

The SSD and the Green back up to the Red and the cloud via Crashplan. The backups take about 1.4TB with Crashplan's versioning / compression / de-dupe / leaving out poo poo I don't care if I lose. I've got about 500GB to spare on the Green but it's getting up there in years so I want to replace it, but going with my 1:4:8 ratio doesn't make too much sense. Virtually everything I have could fit on the SSD save for ~1.3 TB of movies. Everything else could easily fit on the old SSD.

I feel like I have a few options:
-RAID1 the Red with another of its kind (EFRX is still the model series so only distinction is Pro/non-Pro). Forget local video backups and go cloud-only.
-Get a NAS and another Red and host video and SSD backups on there, with video backing up to cloud only. That gives me local SSD content i.e. the stuff that matters. It also takes all the mechanical storage out of my case which has airflow benefits.
-...Storage Spaces? Not even sure those made it out of Windows 8.1?

I feel like in-PC RAID won't scale over time and I should spring for the extra money on a good NAS now. Any opinions?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Your "forever" archive should definitely be optical stored in a fire safe (not that Blurays won't just melt but that's why you have an offsite copy). Dual-layer Bluray is still a thing, right? That's 50GB per disc.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I see tape as more for rotating backups than write-once file-forever given the cost per gig.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, tape's a bad call for putting it in a vault. You're right. Will burned blu-rays last 50 years though? I've had burned CDs and DVDs die of old age already!
If you buy high-quality archival media (Verbatim? Who isn't sourcing from the same Chinese or Taiwanese factory?) and store them upright with good plastic backing then... maybe. With optical drives already starting to disappear from consumer PCs I have to wonder, but that's how Facebook and possibly Amazon do their long-term stuff. At least the movie people can just print film; everyone else is in trouble.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I want to skip magnetic storage in my next PC, can I get away with NVMe for the system and SATA for the bulk data like music/video? Am I leaving a lot of speed on the table (or long-term reliability given that SSDs don't fail any way other than totally)?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 26, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry for reliability I meant spinning discs. I've only ever had one fail on me without warning and it was an 00's Maxtor. The one SSD I had die on me was instant, total failure.

I pay for business-class remote backups with a local option so maybe I'll get a NAS somewhere down the line if gigabit internet doesn't cut it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Windows 10/11 + Storage Spaces optimal for Plex + Crashplan, or is there a way to save some money on the initial outlay + admin variable cost as I slowly add way more drives than necessary? I currently offload stale media to optical but it would be nice to just have everything online at all times.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How many people ITT have one of the TrueNAS vendor devices? I'd be looking at a 33% premium after currency conversion and taxes, but would I save much space and power over a DIY in a Silverstone case?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the Xeon attractive for any reason besides running ECC?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm continuing to price out solutions for a home NAS for after I've sold my old desktop. Is it still best practise to buy mixed lots of drives (say, 2x WD Red Plus NAS and 2x Seagate IronWolf NAS for a ZR2 configuration) to avoid an entire pool failing in quick succession?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just pushed my spin-down time from 20min to 120min in Windows on a drive that's already been in service for five and a half years :ohdear:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On-server transcoding was big for me when I had a narrow range of acceptable formats on a PS3 and I don't think I could ever go back. My Plex isn't even accessible outside the LAN.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

withoutclass posted:

NAS/Storage Megathread: Does your player support rear end?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
At what point in the number of drives and ZFS redundancy level does an SSD write cache stop mattering, assuming the NAS is on a gigabit LAN with 1-2 concurrent clients? I ask because space is at a premium, and a proper hot-swappable vendor-made TrueNAS device fits into my remaining space / power budget better than a homemade Define 7 or even a Node/Silverstone. Since they're quite expensive I'm wondering what corners I can cut for my use case.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If the device role is just bulk file storage and Plex server it sounds like I can get away without SSDs entirely...?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
iXSystems absolutely fleece you on drives so I'd be buying the appliance empty anyhow. What about RAM? I don't know the prices for ECC but 64GB sounds excessive for five bays...?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
https://documents.westerndigital.co...ed-plus-hdd.pdf

Does anyone know why the 10TB Red Plus drives are a good 10dbA louder than the rest of the lineup? I was eyeing those, but now I'll definitely go up to 12TB or get an extra drive at 8TB.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EVIL Gibson posted:

this is the one thing that pisses me off about long lived threads. the OP has always hosed off and gave no shits about creating another one. If a poster tries to make a new one it's always "There's already a thread about NAS. Locking".
Games and even GBS deal with this really well by locking the old thread, but SH/SC seems to have way lower volume.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Motronic posted:

My last WD red pro purchase/warranty service went similarly and ended up with near 50% immediate failure rate. Even one of them that I caught early enough to return to the vendor resulted in a replacement that was broken in a different way.

I have no idea what WD is doing, but it's getting harder to write this off as just bad luck on my part.
Am I likely to have better experiences with Seagate?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What makes TrueNAS harder to get off the ground? I was considering one of their Mini SKUs and buying my own drives. Is it just ZFS being tougher to learn than shallower file systems, FreeBSD, or...?

All I want to do is run Plex and some backups, and I have Windows licenses to spare that would let me use Code42, but I'm not keen on spending another $10/month if B2B would be cheaper and ReFS sounds far too black box for something so critical to a multi-terabyte array.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ve been putting off building a NAS that will be used exclusively for Plex and low-intensity storage. What’s stalled me has been trying to get QuickSync, ECC, and enough SATA ports all in one box. I have Plex Pass so GPU transcoding is available to me.

Would one of the entry-level TrueNAS appliances be a good idea? Low power, low noise and low footprint are preferable (the device will have to live in the bedroom or just outside to keep it off the same circuit as my gaming rig) but not if Plex is going to chug. I’d prefer to use ZFS just to learn a top-end storage system as I go.

Backups will be Backblaze B2, and since I recently switched away from CrashPlan to Backblaze I have to figure out workstation backups inside the LAN too.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 14, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I was eyeing those but the lack of iGPU kills them. I might try to steal that Node 804 build further up the page assuming I can source the Xeon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

My Qnap complaint is that their product managers seem to hate their customers and they have about 60 active models at any one time, each with a unique set of compromises.
I looked at QNAP just now as they might meet my needs before I do something truly stupid like fill a Fractal Meshify 2 with drives. Their documents call QuTS a "ZFS OS" but they seem to deliberately avoid calling anything RAIDz...?

All I want to do is host my Plex library with hardware transcoding and Backblaze B2 support without turning a 100W-idle gaming PC on (though some of these things get right up there according to their spec sheets).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 3, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
QNAP came up last time I posted here and the consensus was they weren't trustworthy. Is there a recommend appliance that will:

1) Transcode Plex media reliably
2) Talk to Backblaze B2
3) Run TrueNAS Scale or at least a reliable file system
4) Take at least four HDDs
5) Take optional NVMe / SATA SSDs

That last one is pure luxury as all I want out of this is a LAN media server. Building my own is either an exercise in stuffing a SFF case to fit under my printer, or carving out space for a Meshify 2, and both of those options end up costing me close to $3000 CAD once drives are in.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I mean I can transcode on my gaming PC for about 85W idle, but the idea was to use less power not just expand its storage.

How much transcoding would I need to do on XBox Series X, anyway? Most of my content is h264 and x265. Will AV-1 or old-rear end MPEG be a problem?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

That's basically why I asked. Most clients can direct play most media these days. I'd either convert or re-rip anything that's actually a problem. I have transcoding completely disabled on my Plex install and I very rarely have an issue.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203824396-what-media-formats-are-supported/
I’m mostly paranoid about that due to my parents’ XBone losing DirectPlay over the holidays but that’s a Plex thread issue.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Do you actually have a need for transcoding? It would simplify things quite a bit if you didn't.
Soooo... what are some good ZFS / Backblaze / Plex capable vendors if QNAP isn't reliable and iX Systems boxes are overpriced? QNAP has SEO'd everything to death.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’d be interested in that too since I thought everything was QuickSync or bust.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

What is it you're actually trying to do here? "Can run ZFS" seems like a very large list. Almost anything can backup to Backblaze. Almost anything can run Plex. I use a Synology NAS with Plex in a Docker container on it. It can backup to Backblaze.

How many drives do you need? Does it have to be of a particular physical size? Do you need a specific amount of memory? Do you need ECC? What is your budget? How much tinkering/janitoring do you want to do? Why do you need ZFS as opposed to anything else? Why is QNAP's SEO a problem?
re: SEO they dominate the results pages and send me back here feeling like I haven’t done my homework.

Long story short we might be deploying TrueNAS at work and I wouldn’t mind getting ahead of it / up to speed on ZFS on my own time. My budget caps out at around $3000 CAD, and I’d like to fit it next to a couch or under my printer table (as in my condo basically forces me to do that if I want a UPS, and it will still be on the same circuit as my gaming PC). Tinkering budget is unlimited; it’s fun.

I feel like 5 drives would be enough for the foreseeable future, but I’d also bring a tonne of optical backups back onto hot media for the sake of it, and be less stingy than my current 4TB NVMe mandates.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Any reason to avoid WD Red? Not opposed to other brands (ASRock sketches me out more than anything).

And thanks for the recommendation; I’m going to be fighting my old habits not to get a Meshify and work with that Node instead since I never build SFF.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 30, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks everyone; nothing I host on this will go in/out aside from Backblaze so maybe I can tolerate QNAP’s poo poo, but building my own will be a fun prospect too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kibner posted:

I currently have ~20 TB of files I want to backup. I will only ever need to access them again in case of disaster. Is Backblaze still the cheapest option out there for this? It looks like it would cost me $720/yr (first 10TB are free and then $6/TB/month for the next 10TB). If I ever fill my drives close to 80% capacity (29TB), Backblaze will start to cost $1,400/yr and that seems excessive, even if it is cheaper than S3, Azure, and Google Cloud.

e: It would very quickly be cheaper for me to just build a whole new server and stash it at my partner's mom's house and use that as my remote backup solution.

e2: iDrive seems to offer better value but seem people have issues with the service, it seems?
Consider how much of that 29TB can go in a binder full of 50-100TB M-Disc Blurays (store it upright!)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Even WD MyCloud units used to be able to mirror to one another over the internet, but lol if I’d let one be WAN-facing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Magnetic shelf life is 5-20 years but I emphasize the 5. I have had plenty of drives spin and seek but not be able to serve a file system.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think at 12 drives you're looking at a Meshify 2 or Define 7 (maybe others, but I'm a huge Fractal fan for mid-tower and up).

Going batshit on the CPU isn't worth it unless you see making this a heavyweight VM host someday. Your main considerations are the iGPU and ECC support.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Definitely have a look at the manual; there’s some work to convert the case layout but it’s properly dense.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anker have lost my trust after their desktop USB charging station consistently fried its own USB-A ports inside of a year and they refused to recall or acknowledge the units were bad. They’re half the size of the equivalent Belkin device and still cram three 120V AC ports on the back with no fuse. I now have to re-evaluate all of their other gear that looks more fully-featured than competitor’s products and wonder if their engineers just went “yeah slap a few more in there; seems fine!”

That said, I wouldn’t try to bolt that kind of smarts onto even a much more solid unit like a GoalZero (who go all the way up to battery-based home backup). Just go for a proper APC or CyberPower unit; you’re trusting it with your data in a way that might be much more difficult to recover from than a failed drive.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 4, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was further behind than you (PMC on my gaming PC with SSD-only storage) and was advised that transcoding is the biggest hurdle. You can standardize your files for the few that aren’t one of the two modern scene formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Theoretically the more drives you have the more dice are constantly rolling for failure, but ZFS should let you rebuild a big array of smaller disks faster since each one is a smaller fraction of the array, and only needs to access the disks holding the redundant file copies rather than touch everything with old striped RAID.

With modern NAS-grade drives I think both numbers are small enough to be practically the same…?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 25, 2024