Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Infinite Recursion posted:

It's even simpler than that.

Look at the semicolons

Well that's what you get for using Allman style :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The solution is something he talks about on the last page - the mode change from from mg to mg/kg has to be clear, and the warnings need to be more carefully tiered, so that "There isn't a pill of this dosage, please adjust", "This is getting close to maximum recommended dosage", and "This is 40x the lethal dose, idiot" look completely different (and the last one needs to be harder to dismiss).

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

SupSuper posted:

code:
// restrict lists to 2
for (int i = 0; i < list.Count - 2; i++)
{
    list.RemoveAt(i);
}

Do we work at the same firm?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Would you prefer they did it in an even worse language like matlab or R? Or maybe in fortran like the good old days?

I actually like matlab for the way it (i) doesn’t change core functionality every time one of the devs has a meltdown and (ii) warns you at least two versions beforehand on the rare occasions when it does

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

You probably also admire it for how it indices arrays, you heathen.

It uses the zero for other things, such as the proportion of each module that has no documentation, the number of ‘hilarious’ Monty Python references you will encounter while reading that documentation, and the number of times you will be forced to type something as stupid as ‘import beautifulsoup4’

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Use csv for everything. Especially that huge numerical data dump. Be sure to include thousands separators in approximately 10% of the entries

For a real pro move, create it as 5 different files with different column separators then cat them before sending

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

CSV/TSV is fine. Not great, but fine.

The horror in your case is that your ETL flow apparently doesn't include a validation step.

However the file is delivered, up to and including sneakernet, the specs should give you the option to respond with the equivalent of a 400 Bad Request "Every line must contain exactly 25 commas, sorry fuckos".

Did I mention the file was also 300GB.

The story has a happy ending when that supplier got fired.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Soricidus posted:

how is this person still employed after multiple instances of gross incompetence?

sociopaths tend to do extremely well in life

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Did that class have any data members? Or any non-static methods at all?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Edit, sorry. Posted a coding horror in the lexical pissing match thread by mistake.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 13, 2020

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

more falafel please posted:

... this was exactly my point, that unless i live until 2100, leap years are just every four years, since the only century mark I'm likely to be alive for was divisible by 400

It’s a good thing no-one ever has to work with historical data then!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Not a coding horror, but our team is making a product that will go outdoors.

We all agreed that a touchscreen was an awful idea and to tell management to piss off with that idea. :3:

... then the camera pans slowly left, revealing that you’re working for RIM c. 2007?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

redleader posted:

normal people simply don't care about smart devices phoning home and poo poo like that. it makes me feel like a loving luddite, but what the hell can i do? the money is in garbage products that lasts two years and whose primary goal is now siphoning data and/or serving ads instead of showing movies and keeping food cold. garbage rear end planet

With tvs I think the only non-‘smart’ option left is paying $$$ for a consumer display (that may or may not have sound or even a tuner). I’m basically hoping my 10 year old Panasonic keeps on trucking.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Didn’t even close his tags properly

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Gödel’s incompleteness theorem, but for bug trackers

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

:ssh: the password matching is even worse than that

Lmao took me a minute or so to see it.

So which S&P500 firm did you find this at?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Tei posted:

You could have asked if the boss only logins from his office, or he login from different places.
Making so admin-admin only works from the boss office ip. If somebody else try to use admin-admin, a message would show "this iP is not authorized for login with this user, please ask it added to the authorization list, or use your secondary safe password"

Doing unnecessary work for a lovely client is the greatest code horror of them all. Just set the password expiry to 30 days.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

celestial teapot posted:

If you can figure out what this is trying to do, you get an award

If you can figure out why the gently caress they thought SQL was where it should be done, you get another award

My guess is there was a tableau dashboard somewhere that was used to present numbers to the c-suite, then someone went “Hey, I’d like those numbers turned into words; see to it by cob Wednesday”

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Jabor posted:

The worst parts of the STL are almost always the "we wrote part of the STL as an example of how to use a specific language feature" bits.

I haven’t had to touch C++ or the STL in over a decade - did they ever fix vector<bool> ?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Whether it's a standard vector or not is implementation-dependent.

In my heart I always knew the answer would be “They instead found a way to make it worse”

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Falcorum posted:

*proceeds to silently truncate the password in some situations anyway*

Hi {username},

Thank you for registering! Your login details are

Username: will@storedintheballs.com
Password: p33p33p33p33

Your password will expire in 90 days, after which you’ll need to choose a new password. If you do not pick a new password within 7 days, your account will be frozen until you speak to one of our site admins to reset your password.

Regards,
Admin team

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Votlook posted:

"use a CI tool that does not check the output of the tests" - senior dev with a Phd at my previous company

Latch onto this person as hard as you can because they’re on the fast track to the c-suite

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

necrotic posted:

You might be getting valid UTF-16

Still counts as a coding horror

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

leper khan posted:

Not sure if that's also true in the UK, but lol if they go bankrupt because they wrote bad checks.

It isn’t and they won’t.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

It’s the sort of thing I’d write if I were quitting tomorrow and hated my coworkers.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Ola posted:

…check if it's a number and the caller does a check on != NaN, …

Hahaha I bet it does exactly this lol

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Bonfire Lit posted:

Beats me! I've elected not to check source control because I suspect if I do I'll just get salty at whoever wrote that and whoever reviewed it afterwards.

So this person is also in the habit of eval()-ing strings, you say?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

leper khan posted:

I'm still not sure anyone ever wanted float's mixed precision. I'm not aware of anyone who uses both nanometer and megameter lengths in the same model. IMO fixed point has always been better. Only issue with that is all the optimized float compute hardware.

Though there could have been a world where that was parallel integer computations with a register defined fixed point.

Source your quotes

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I see the coding horror is coming from inside the thread again

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

CPColin posted:

And clearly the person to solve the problem back in 1995 was a high school freshman armed with a highlighter.

I’m sure Mr No-one-ever-needed-to-sum-a-bunch-of-small-numbers-that-totalled-a-much-bigger-number helped out as well

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Matlab in the early-to-mid-2010s had an Int64 type but defined no operators for it, I find this approach to numerical computation very zen

IIRC there were operators defined for it, but only between an int and another int. Even today if you try to multiply a float and an int Matlab will stop you and ask wtf you think you are doing

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Ola posted:

But that's the compiler. I was thinking you could do this in VS Code or some snazzy JetBrains product where friendly plugins would shower you with sage advice.

“Surely that’s been fixed by now” is a question asked many times. The answer is (almost) always the same.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Coding horrors meet OSHA thread

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

We’re talking about Oracle, guys.

The word you’re looking for is ‘evil’.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Run everything on containers, now everything’s a docker problem

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

duck monster posted:

......And the wisdom to know its time I hit up my job agent.

*sigh*.

Boss canvased us the idea of terrible terrible coder being promoted to project manager. Today the boss learned what we *really* think. , Enforced deploy pipelines with CI (inc security linting) and code review and a return of unit testing is coming back, finally. And we might be hiring.

Or I just outed myself as the disaffected goony greybeard to the boss, and we might be hiring. One of the two lol.

They’ve already decided to promote the guy and you need to jump yesterday

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Would his being a PM result in him no longer coding anything and also not being part of your chain? If so, it might be possible that they're trying to sideways promote him to someplace where he can be effectively ignored even if he cannot be fired or directly sidelined.

Oh to be young and naïve again.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Poor Grandma, thought of floating point and died.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Unicode was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Ouroboro.sh