Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Crusty is right. I just pulled mine out of my E36M just last week.

I thought later E36 6cyls have them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bape Culture posted:

PSS' have soft sidewalls and aren't brilliant on track.

Odd, I never thought my PSSes had soft sidewalls. They certainly were stiffer than RS3s. I vote Dunlop Z2SS. Not the fastest uber street tire, but the sidewalls are good, and you can flip them on the rim if you get a lot of camber wear. Something you can't do with PSSes or Rivals. RE71Rs are good and flippable and super sticky, but I don't think their sidewalls are that stiff.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Reposting this from another forum in case ya'll have better infos.

I've been researching taller shifters lately. And I'm starting to go batty. I like the style of the RTD/CAE shifter with the placement and throw, but don't want the return the center 'feature' they have when you're in 1st or 2nd.

Shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x1xybRhxc

But if you go watch loads of videos of BMW E46/E36 5 Spd CAE shifters. Some of them seem to do this. Some of them don't. And I can't figure out why. Personally, I want the gear lever to stay in place of whatever gear I'm in. So if there's a way to set the lever up to do this, I'd love to know. There don't seem to be different versions. And the instal guide doesn't mention anything pertaining to this 'feature' and every post I seem to find just says "FEELS AMAZING" and rarely is the feature mentioned.

So I can't figure out if this is something you tune the shifter to do, if they all do it, etc.

This Z3 doesn't do it for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4j4fPV_g14

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bape Culture posted:

I have the cae and it returns to centre yeah. You could remove the spring I guess but I don’t see the problem with it as you can grip it well and do what you want?

Is this common for people to do? Am I to assume that every video I see where it is visibly in the left/right gates, that the person removed the spring? Because I've never seen anyone mention that they removed the spring.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

Why wouldn't you want it to return to center?

Personal preference. I prefer that it function like a normal shifter.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

wolrah posted:

What do you mean by that? Normal shifters return to center.

Did you watch the two videos? The CAE shifter returns to center gate WHILE you're in 1st or 2nd.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So this video is incorrect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x1xybRhxc

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

crazzy posted:

supposed to eliminate money shifts as each shift is much more deliberate. the 5th to 3rd and accidentally getting 1st is the most common money shift that i'm aware of, this basically eliminates it. would be the same for 6th to 4th and getting 2nd.
feels like a super tight rifle, even better than the AKG motorsports shifter on a freshly rebuilt e36 tranny (only comparison i have for the cae shifter i tried).

you definitely need to practice on it as its a different shifting style than a normal H pattern.

Why does this Z3 not have the center thing going on for 1st and 2nd? This is what I don't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4j4fPV_g14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KillHour posted:

The other day I was strongly considering getting a cheap beater Cayenne for when I have to do adult things in a car instead of fun things in a car but I don't want to make a nice car dirty.

I still secretly want a 6spd gen2 Cayenne.

EDIT: Hell even a gen1 will do.