Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Mark Larson posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying an E46 330i and would like some advice. I currently own a Miata and am looking for something with four doors and thought about a BMW since I've always loved the cars and can finally afford one.

First of all, the cars in the price range I'm looking at ($10k - 12k) are 2001-2003 models. I'm interested in the 330i for its power mainly and the fact that its a bit higher trim so some of the options should come standard.

I'm going out to take a look at a few cars tomorrow. This is my first European car experience, and I want to make sure I get it right. What should I look at specifically, and what is a high mileage? The cheapest one I'm looking at is a 2002 with 125k miles for $8500, and the one I like is a 2002 with 95k miles for $10,500.

What would you recommend looking at in cars like this? Should I be looking at early 330i's like these or should I go with 325i/328i in this model year range? Did early 330i's have any issues I should be aware of?

Common e46 problems are water pumps and radiators, at the mileage of the cars you are looking at I would be a little concerned if they hadn't been replaced. The only problem I've had with mine (knock on wood) is the rubber trim where the window meets the roof sucks rear end and always falls away. The only thing that seems to work is a glue called liquid nails. The absolute horror story problem for them is floor subframe failure, and is the subject of a class action lawsuit.

Check e46fanatics.com forums, tons of great info there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Just as an example of the garbage you have to deal with for e30s up north:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ256200401

4 door 318 with 335000km, dented, with rust spots coming through the paint. 3000 dollars.

-or-

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-BMW-3-Series-320I-ASIS-SPECIAL-MUST-SEE-IMPORTED-CAR-W0QQAdIdZ255035937

1988 320i import (who would import a 320?) with rust holes and a busted steering rack, 2000 dollars.

I figure I'll be shelling out 5000 for a rust-free 325is/318is if I ever manage to find one.

The prices on the e30 318is are rising fast as good ones become harder to find and everyone wants them for track cars. I sold my '91 with 118k miles for KBB which was $2,000 back in 2005. I see really good ones being listed for between $4000 and $6,000 pretty often these days. I'd imagine it is the same for choice 325is as well.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 10, 2011

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So yesterday I tried using a clay bar on my paint for the first time. Wow, how did I not learn about their awesomeness sooner? My only question is this: I really had to put some elbow grease on the random yellowish spots that look like pin sized rust, is unever force going to make my paint look weird eventually? There were other spots where I didn't need to apply much force at all.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

King of False Promises posted:

One of my coworkers is moving out of the country, and she knew I loved her car. She offered it to me first, and I couldn't resist. It's been a few years since my 88 Scirocco 16v died, and I've been yearning for a German coupe for a while now. It's not perfect--some outside trim is missing, there's a dent in the driver rear quarter that shouldn't be too hard to pop out, the headliner is gone--but the seats and dash are nearly perfect. I'm really excited to have a fun car again.

1996 328is

Congrats, that is a nice looking coupe. My addiction started in 13 years ago with a '91 318is and I still miss that car.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

blk posted:

Stupid question for a friend; I can't really make a conclusion from my research - what would you say is the most reliable and/or lowest cost to own 3 series? I'm guessing E30, but I've never owned a BMW and have only driven E36s.

Having owned an E30, E46 and E90 at one time or another, and having a sibling with an E36, I would say the E30 felt the most "solid" and seemed to have less computer/electronic gizmos that could break. That said, finding a good one for cheap is becoming really hard. E36s seem to be the least well put together, but that is just my personnel opinion. I'd say E46 is probably in the sweet spot right now, being overall pretty reliable and having a large number of available to choose from, and with parts being fairly easy to find.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

DrPain posted:

So we've got a 7 series in for an exhaustive laundry list of minor and stupid problems, looking up some schematics and I came across this gem.

Oh. Well then. Glad we've got that diagram.

I picture a puzzled man walking around a parking lot intently comparing that diagram to every car he sees and shaking his head in disappointment.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

First problem with the e90. Daytime running lights on the drivers side are out for no apparent reason. Here's to hoping it's just a fuse.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Anyone have experience upgrading angel eyes?

From what I've seen my options are:

ARC Angel H8 bulb
Pros: simple swap
Cons: don't look much whiter than stock

LED Version
Pros: whiter light
Cons: cost, possibility of error/fault codes

Is that a fair assessment?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

doogle posted:

I'm pretty sure he is talking about an e9x/e82, I have the arc angel H8 bulbs in my 135.

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for. ARC Angels it is.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Letting go is really hard. I often wonder where my e46 is now. Sadly my e30 was totaled by the dude I sold it to :(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Alarbus posted:

E90, AWD sport package, went with Conti Extreme Contact DWS, and it's been great. Not as grippy or firm as the Conti ProContactSport 2s, but pretty good. Noticeably smoother ride than my Dad's E92 with the OEM runflats. He had the really noisy ones they swapped for the alternative, which don't sound as back.

Your shops are being absurd.

Agree with all of that and just wanted add that Conti extreme contacts are amazing. I had been running Michelin pilot sports on my e46 and switched to them when I was jobless and money was tight. They seemed to have 90% of the grip the pilot sports had for quite a bit less money. I found them quieter to boot.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

LEDs for my angel eyes came while I was gone on business. Installation and pictures incoming. Can't wait.

Also, I have a really stupid question. I like to change my own oil. This past December I got an E90. So with no dipstick, how tricky is getting the level right?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

4-door M3s are the best M3s.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Two and half hours in to installing the LED angel eye H8 replacements. If you HATE your fingers this is really a lot of fun. By pure luck I got one of them in. The other one, can't even get it to fit with the gasket off. My finger are so cut and scratched I'm seriously not going to be able to try too many more times.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

On about my 60th try I got it to seat properly. Hooked everything back up and...they work! However, my car told me the DSC/AWD has malfunctioned and I should take it to the dealer asap :toot:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Started with this:

Added 2 hours and this (had already whiped up most of the blood when I took these):

Finished with this:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 5, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Why the hell are E36's routinely cheaper than E30's?

It really is just a simple case of supply and demand. There just aren't many choice E30s floating around for sale so when they go for sale they get snatched up quickly and at a premium.

A lot of people want them for track cars.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Killing time at the dealership. The F10 is a handsome car, don't get me wrong, it's just too big to be a 3 when I look at it. No M cars to drool at :(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

CornHolio posted:

There's a reason the F10 is too big to be a 3.

Meant F30.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone seems to hate the E90 sedan. Someone told me I have a middle aged lady car. Sorry I couldn't afford your lovely 90s honda, bro.

I have heard that too, but you can make that argument about nearly anything. I once had the misfortune of arguing with an rear end in a top hat Aston owner that was saying M3's are for Long Island housewives. I guess some dudes just aren't comfortable enough with their manhood to drive something with 4 doors and no gigantic rear wing on the back. Yes, when you have a highly desired brand, some mild-aged women might buy them. The horror!

E: The bit about the rear wing was directed at people bashing the e90 in general, not Aston owners, whom presumably aren't all insufferable douchebags like the one I met.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 13, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Gaz that is one hell of a beautiful machine. Congrats.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

It applies to everything e82 and over. You need to get a coding cable from http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

You can find cheaper options that is just the cable then search the web for the dealer software but it's a lot more difficult and you need to have some computer knowledge and critical thinking skills.

When I replaced my daytime running lights on my e90 I unhooked my battery and the computer was not happy when I turned it back on, DSC errors, xDrive errors, etc. A couple laps around the block and shutting it off seemed to let the computer realize the car wasn't broken. One error persisted for a few days (right turn signal) but even that has sorted itself out over the past week.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I hate to make a post about run flats, but here is a post about run flats. The other day my TPM system was angry about my right rear tire. My step-dad has a compressor so i refilled it from 21 psi to 35. TPM reset, no issues, suspected but couldn't find a nail. Sure enough, the next morning it is back to ~20psi.

My local tire shop advised me I am SOL because you can't fix run-flats. I currently have an appointment at my dealership. My question is this: I'm assuming replacing just one tire is ill advised, so I'm going to end up paying $500+ for 2 new run-flats? Hitting a nail shouldn't cost that much :psyduck: If this is what I have to look forward too I will probably go to my local tire store and get 4 Conti Extreme Contacts and not worry about shelling out so much cash for a stupid nail.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Okay, I am looking at entry level performance all-season tire. I run snows in the winter but i live in the northeast so we are known to get the odd early/late snowstorm. I will either get Continental Extreme Contact DWS like I had on my e46, or maybe Pirelli PZero Rosso Assimetrico. Anyone here have experience with the Pirellis?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So they told me they could fix it if the damage was in between the water channels. Of course, it isn't, right near the sidewall, random metal bit. They also told me they can't put non-run flats on BMW factory wheels because of how the lip meets the tire seal. He said some places will do it, but there is a chance the tire can get knocked off the wheel if you hit a curb, more likely on larger wheels but can happen on 17s.

So currently I'm looking at $503 with tax included for 2 new ContiProContacts, have to replace all 4 if i want something new.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

omgitstheinternet posted:

This is complete bullshit, do not listen to them.

This set off my bullshit meter.

E: However, I'm tempted just to replace them and be done with it. Grr. Run flats! :ughh:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 5, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

This is all complete and utter bullshit. Do not ever go to this tire shop ever again and tell all your friends to never ever go there ever again.

One: That poo poo about lip/tire seal is the biggest crock of upselling poo poo I've ever heard. I'd demand to speak to a manager or a DM if someone ever tried that on me.

Two: They can put any other tire you want on there as long as it's the proper rim size, unless your car is AWD, in which case they need to match the outer diameter (most people just match the sizes for simplicity's sake).

I hate lying rear end lube jockeys who give the rest of the mechanics a bad name.

The only part that doesn't make sense is that I would have spent more on 4 non-runflats. I think this is a case of being uninformed rather than upselling.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also how do you guys feel about putting M3 mirrors on...rice?

Hey, since you have to replace a mirror anyways, why not look at M3 mirrors?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So I changed my oil about a month ago on my e90 and switched to 0w40. Initially my mileage went down by almost 3 mpg on the highway but up slightly on city driving. Now highway is up slightly as well. Did it just need to break in or did the engine computer need to readjust to it? :iiam:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Local Cadillac dealership has a 2009 alpine white M3 coupe with 30k miles for $34750. I contacted them immediately and was told that it has a buyer in the process of buying it. :negative:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So 2 years ago I traded my e46 for a 2009 328i xdrive. It had 36000 miles on it. My old job had tons of travel and it now has 63k miles on it. I still owe 16k on it. A local dealer has an 09 335xi with 26k miles for $27000. If I get decent value on trade I'd be cutting my payment nearly in half at that price. It is not quite as loaded with options as mine, but I would part with my navigation for $190 lower monthly payments. What to do goons?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

blk posted:

What the hell is this? http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3792076085.html

Is it an M3 or a 328i with M3 trim pieces?

Kellye Blue Book Value is
11000 high (excellent condtion)
9300 low (Fair condition)
Priced below book for quick sale!

What a scumbag. KBB for an M3 might be that, but for a 323 convertible in excellent shape with that mileage: $5620.

This guy deserves a punch in the mouth.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

revmoo posted:

Agreed. He's committing fraud.

It's one thing to dress up your 323 as an M, it's another thing altogether to sell it as one.

Exactly, regardless of whether buyers should practice due diligence, this is actual fraud.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So this is the car I'm looking at.

http://www.auctiondirectusa.com/vehicle-details/2009-bmw-3-series-335i-xdrive-sedan-4d-victor-ny-id-4349042

The way I see it I get more horsepower, lower payments, and 1/2 the miles in exchange for giving up my 6 speed, navigation and aluminum trim. I was supposed to go look at it today, but apparently the manager took it to Buffalo for business without telling anyone.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 11, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Binge posted:

The pump was 500, thermo was 110, and it was 4 hours billable labor (at 80/hr). It's my only car, or I would have done it myself. I planned on it over the summer, and thought I had a good 10k more miles or so. I was wrong!

At least when I picked my car up, it was chillin next to a Ferrari.

Is that CanTech?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

ZincBoy posted:

A pic of the car on the new rims/tires:

This makes me miss my E46, gorgeous car.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Binge posted:

Well a quick google shows there's CanTech shops in the next city over, but no. It's The Little Speed Shop, they sponsor the local BMWCCA chapter here. I've wanted to go there for something for a while, but was hoping it would be an upgrade rather than emergency fix (which they did great, dropped it off Sunday evening, picked it up Tuesday after work).

:cheers: fellow upstate NY BMW goon. The entrance looks almost exactly the same and I saw a similar Ferrari last time I was there. Must be a glitch in the matrix.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

revmoo posted:

The biggest difference is the interior, which is night and day different and better.

I think the interior on my e46 was better than the interior on my e90.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Guinness posted:

The E90 AWD system is massively more sophisticated than the E46 system.

That said, my RWD E46 does well in the snow with real snow tires.

Truth. I had to drive from Syracuse to Fulton during the Valentine's Day storm in 2006. RWD E46 with 4 snows handled it like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So halfway through my 80 mile trip this morning my add oil immediately light came on and I pulled over to find a film of cooking oil all over the manifold and cabin filter box. I had to add a quart of non synthetic at a rest stop but I made it my destination. Gasket leak maybe? Can't wait to figure out how to get it home.