Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Rectal Placenta posted:

Or an Acapulco Gold into two rats

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Might actually blow-up the op-amp in the Rat with an AG on max.

edit: Acapulco Gold has 2x1watt amplifier chips running at 9vdc at a max voltage gain of 200x per chip. So 40,000x voltage gain -> Rat with voltage gain at max is 2307x for 92.3M gainz aka you just made an oscillator that fries op-amps maybe.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 9, 2023

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've got some issues with a few of my pedals. Prior to a few weeks ago all of my pedals had not been touched in years and I've finally broken them all out again. I had almost all of them on a pedalboard hooked into a 1Spot and I don't remember having issues with two particular pedals back then that I am having now. The problem pedals are an EHX #1 Echo and an EHX Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker. When I was first testing out things I had them all on the board and daisy chained and that's when the Echo failed. It worked for a few minutes and then just no sound would pass through when the pedal was turned on. The Big Muff was fine that first day and it was fine again today when I was testing everything one at a time off the board and plugged in separately, just to get a feel for all of them again, but when I put it back onto the board and daisy chained it it stopped producing sound when on. I pulled it off the board and tested it with two separate 9v power supplies and no dice. They light up and sound passes through when they're not engaged but nothing happens when they are.

What should be my next step to identifying what the issues are and what to do to fix them?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got some issues with a few of my pedals. Prior to a few weeks ago all of my pedals had not been touched in years and I've finally broken them all out again. I had almost all of them on a pedalboard hooked into a 1Spot and I don't remember having issues with two particular pedals back then that I am having now. The problem pedals are an EHX #1 Echo and an EHX Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker. When I was first testing out things I had them all on the board and daisy chained and that's when the Echo failed. It worked for a few minutes and then just no sound would pass through when the pedal was turned on. The Big Muff was fine that first day and it was fine again today when I was testing everything one at a time off the board and plugged in separately, just to get a feel for all of them again, but when I put it back onto the board and daisy chained it it stopped producing sound when on. I pulled it off the board and tested it with two separate 9v power supplies and no dice. They light up and sound passes through when they're not engaged but nothing happens when they are.

What should be my next step to identifying what the issues are and what to do to fix them?

The very first step is to isolate and remove any other culprits. So, one pedal, one power supply (direct, no daisy chain) two leads and one amp. Try one of the dodgy pedals. If it works, try the other. If both work, we know it's most likely cables or power (not being used in this test) which it almost always is.

If the dodgy pedals don't work, try another pedal. If the problem persists through several pedals, congrats, it's most likely cables or power (being used in this test) which it almost always is.

If we've made it this far and are pretty confident the pedals are faulty, start with the offboard wiring. Open them up and have a look at the jacks and the footswitch. Anything obviously dodgy? Ehx footswitches are notoriously lovely so worth a look.

Next you can check for popped capacitors on the circuit board, it will be super obvious if it's happened.

Still no luck, it's time to bust out a multimeter and an audio probe.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kingo Ligma posted:

The very first step is to isolate and remove any other culprits. So, one pedal, one power supply (direct, no daisy chain) two leads and one amp. Try one of the dodgy pedals. If it works, try the other. If both work, we know it's most likely cables or power (not being used in this test) which it almost always is.

If the dodgy pedals don't work, try another pedal. If the problem persists through several pedals, congrats, it's most likely cables or power (being used in this test) which it almost always is.

I guess I wasn't clear but this is what I was doing today and those were the only two pedals of mine that had an issue. The #! Echo did not work at all. The Big Muff worked at first then didn't once I put it back in the daisy chain and then it continued to not work when I pulled it off the board and tried an independent power supply with just cables to amp and guitar.

Kingo Ligma posted:

If we've made it this far and are pretty confident the pedals are faulty, start with the offboard wiring. Open them up and have a look at the jacks and the footswitch. Anything obviously dodgy? Ehx footswitches are notoriously lovely so worth a look.

Next you can check for popped capacitors on the circuit board, it will be super obvious if it's happened.

Still no luck, it's time to bust out a multimeter and an audio probe.

I guess this is my next step, when I get the chance I guess I'll pop it open and then take pictures because I'm not sure if I'll be able to understand what I'm looking at.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Big Muff

#1 Echo

To my eye nothing looks wrong but I am very unfamiliar with this stuff.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The ribbon cable soldering on the big muff footswitch looks pretty dodgy, otherwise yeah audio probe time

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Epi Lepi posted:

I guess I wasn't clear but this is what I was doing today and those were the only two pedals of mine that had an issue. The #! Echo did not work at all. The Big Muff worked at first then didn't once I put it back in the daisy chain and then it continued to not work when I pulled it off the board and tried an independent power supply with just cables to amp and guitar.

To be clear, you tried the Big Muff on the battery without connecting a power supply and it worked? Does the #1 Echo have a battery jack, and can you try that as well?

e: Ah, nevermind, the #1 Echo doesn't have a battery slot, does it? Sorry. Still worth trying the Muff though.

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 14, 2023

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

free Trapt CD posted:

To be clear, you tried the Big Muff on the battery without connecting a power supply and it worked? Does the #1 Echo have a battery jack, and can you try that as well?

No, I tried it solo directly on a power supply and it worked earlier today but after I put my pedalboard back together and daisy chained it it stopped working. I pulled it off the board and tried it by itself on a power supply and it continued to not work. The light goes on so there is some power, but not enough to emit sound. I did buy new 9V batteries when I was running errands today so I guess replacing the batter will be my next step with this pedal. I don't know why it's not getting enough power from the power supply though if that is the issue.

The #1 Echo does not have a battery.

The power supply I was using all day is the main part of the 1Spot that plugs into the daisy chain. It was fine for my other pedals, Crybaby Wah, RetroSonic Phaser, MXR Carbon Copy, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss CH-1 and Fulltone OCD. They all also work fine when daisy chained and then connected to the main supply. At one point the two problem pedals did work fine in this configuration when I first assembled this pedalboard but that was 5+ years ago, everything has been in an attic for a while and it's only recently that I've dug all my gear out.

I do have a second 9V power supply, a Danelctro branded one that I have no idea where it came from. I tried the Big Muff on it and had no improvement, but I did not try the #1 Echo on it.

Kingo Ligma posted:

The ribbon cable soldering on the big muff footswitch looks pretty dodgy, otherwise yeah audio probe time

Is that something easy to buy and use? What is my next step if I am able to use one, I don't really see myself like soldering things together.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ah ok yeah, if you're not up for soldering it's probably time to find a friendly local nerd who will be able to test and fix it for you. There's not really a lot you can fix in a pedal without a soldering iron.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It would be worth trying some deoxit on the switch, then press it a bunch of times.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Plumes talk adjacent, this video just came out. Pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPyzN5tWETY

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ah ok yeah, if you're not up for soldering it's probably time to find a friendly local nerd who will be able to test and fix it for you. There's not really a lot you can fix in a pedal without a soldering iron.

Anyone on Long Island want to make a friend?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Sorry to double post but I'm utterly perplexed right now. I changed the battery on the Big Muff and it works now, that's not the confusing part (thought I don't understand why it needs a batter and to be plugged in, I thought it was always one or the other with pedals). The confusing thing is the #1 Echo also is working tonight. I did literally nothing to it but open it up and close it back up. I don't know what I did wrong on Sunday or what I did right tonight. Hopefully next time I sit down it continues to work. I even looked in to sending them in to EHX to get serviced (it sounds like they would do it for $25/pedal) and I ordered an EHX branded power supply in case that was the issue but nope, today the 1Spot supply worked both solo and on the board, daisy chained.

As penance for wasting everyone's time, here's a pic of my board:

Not pictured is the black Russian Big Muff and the black Russian Small Stone that I have.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Good poo poo

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Hell yeah big box electric mistress

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Kingo Ligma posted:

Hell yeah big box electric mistress

It sounds sick, it's just a little annoying how large it is and that it takes a different voltage than the other pedals.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There’s nothing like a full voltage electric mistress in its absurd enclosure.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There’s nothing like a full voltage electric mistress in its absurd enclosure.

I think it might be too noisey for me to be honest. I was trying to run it and the OCD at the same time and the noise was overpowering. I was hoping to muddle my way into a similar tone to this track: https://godisinthetvzine.bandcamp.com/track/disintegration and I hit an immediate roadblock with the noise.

The Cure is 100% my favorite band and after learning Robert Smith tours with just a suite of Boss pedals I keep having crazy ideas of selling all my pedals and replacing them all with Boss ones, cause if it's good enough for Robert...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ehx stuff sounds great but is often plagued with reliability issues, it's a huge bummer

boss stuff, on the other hand, will outlive you

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Put all of your EHX on a different power supply and see if it quiets down. Their polarity is opposite of most other pedal makers. He's right, the Boss stuff is truly bulletproof. I've had some of them for 20 years and I've also had EHX crap out after less than three years. Electro-harmonix will however repair their stuff for cheap, and they are close by in Brooklyn iirc.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Otis Reddit posted:

Put all of your EHX on a different power supply and see if it quiets down. Their polarity is opposite of most other pedal makers. He's right, the Boss stuff is truly bulletproof. I've had some of them for 20 years and I've also had EHX crap out after less than three years. Electro-harmonix will however repair their stuff for cheap, and they are close by in Brooklyn iirc.

Yeah I'm sending the Big Muff & #1 Echo in to get repaired as soon as I get my rear end in gear to pack it up. $25/per pedal plus whatever it will cost me to ship to them which shouldn't be much since I'm on Long Island. The $25 covers return shipping. They say they don't fix vintage pedals but I'm not sure if that means all out of production models.

The Electric Mistress does have it's own plug because it's 24V(another reason I'm thinking about getting rid of it). Can the surge protector/power strip it's plugged into impact it's noise level?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Otis Reddit posted:

I got drunk with an old wizard from EHX in Brooklyn, at the time he said they were in Long Island City.

Just happened to sit next to him in some lovely bar one afternoon. He was already drunk and we drank a lot more. I really wish I took him up on his offer to come visit but chances are he wouldn’t have remembered

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mike Matthews remembers all.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I finally got my poo poo together and mailed those two pedals off to EHX to get serviced, will let folks know how it all shakes out when I get them back.

In other news I bought a Bass VI! I want to make Cure-esque music with it, so I know I want Flanger, Chorus, and something for dirt.

I know there are specific Bass versions of some of those effects but how much does that matter? Like there are Bass Chorus pedals, should I make sure to buy one of those and what's the advantage over grabbing a CE-2 or something?

For Flanger I have my DEM and I've been thinking of buying a Boss Flanger anyway so I can go either way for that.

For dirt I have a Black Russian Big Muff that I thought I had blown out but it turns out it just needed a new battery. If I want less fuzz and more drive, what's a pedal people like that would fit this setup?

Love having an excuse to make a "mini" board and both buy new things as well as put to use things I already have that didn't fit on my main board.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Epi Lepi posted:

I finally got my poo poo together and mailed those two pedals off to EHX to get serviced, will let folks know how it all shakes out when I get them back.

In other news I bought a Bass VI! I want to make Cure-esque music with it, so I know I want Flanger, Chorus, and something for dirt.

I know there are specific Bass versions of some of those effects but how much does that matter? Like there are Bass Chorus pedals, should I make sure to buy one of those and what's the advantage over grabbing a CE-2 or something?

For Flanger I have my DEM and I've been thinking of buying a Boss Flanger anyway so I can go either way for that.

For dirt I have a Black Russian Big Muff that I thought I had blown out but it turns out it just needed a new battery. If I want less fuzz and more drive, what's a pedal people like that would fit this setup?

Love having an excuse to make a "mini" board and both buy new things as well as put to use things I already have that didn't fit on my main board.

I have a Squier bass VI and haven't found any need for bass specific pedals - the main difference is just an input cap value anyway with the occasional tweak to a tone circuit. The VI is only one octave below guitar so most pedals seem to capture it's full range. I really like a plain ol stock standard boss blues driver for gain on it, big muffs sound great for heavier, and a rat is pretty gnarly inbetween.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kingo Ligma posted:

I have a Squier bass VI and haven't found any need for bass specific pedals - the main difference is just an input cap value anyway with the occasional tweak to a tone circuit. The VI is only one octave below guitar so most pedals seem to capture it's full range. I really like a plain ol stock standard boss blues driver for gain on it, big muffs sound great for heavier, and a rat is pretty gnarly inbetween.

Yeah, I do have a blueberry bass OD that sounds really cool with my Bass VI but most of my guitar stuff sounds great too.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
if anybody is looking to cringe so hard their spine snaps in half, EHX head/founder/social media manager(?) uploaded an anti-union piano ballad and music video to their official EHX youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1Km_GVGmk

i really wanted to like EHX pedals because I'm from nyc too but their stuff always had a shrill/icepicky quality to them. i even bought one of their t-shirts and it fits like poop rear end and the logo is too low on the fabric too

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

ProperCauldron posted:

if anybody is looking to cringe so hard their spine snaps in half, EHX head/founder/social media manager(?) uploaded an anti-union piano ballad and music video to their official EHX youtube page.

i really wanted to like EHX pedals because I'm from nyc too but their stuff always had a shrill/icepicky quality to them. i even bought one of their t-shirts and it fits like poop rear end and the logo is too low on the fabric too

Never ever let boomer bosses near company socials. This is basic poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ProperCauldron posted:

In the "our story" section of the ehx site there's as whole subsection on how the founder "stood up to UNION THUGS" in the 80s. Really made me feel a way about all of the EHX pedals I already own. Not gonna get rid of mine but I don't think I'll be buying any more in the future.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I'd there's two things Mike Matthews hates it's treating workers with dignity and footswitches that last more than three months

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
One reason I only buy poo poo used or roll my own diy pedals.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I tell you what else is fun, having a Fulltone OCD bought in 2011ish, checking out of the gear hunt for a decade and coming back in 2023 to find out Mike Fuller is a racist piece of poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ProperCauldron posted:

I randomly met and got drunk with him once, he was very entertaining. The video made me nostalgic for being a kid watching a lot of NYC tv like that.

5/10

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ProperCauldron posted:

death by audio is based in nyc if you want to "shop local"

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
EHX sent out a marketing email with the anti-union video. I told them to gently caress off, solidarity forever, unsubscribe.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

I tell you what else is fun, having a Fulltone OCD bought in 2011ish, checking out of the gear hunt for a decade and coming back in 2023 to find out Mike Fuller is a racist piece of poo poo.
OCD does sound fantastic though. I got mine out again recently and I had forgotten how good it was. Also, it will piss everyone off - it’s Fulltone, it’s got comic sans all over it, it’s version 2.0, not 1.4 or 1.7. I bought mine used, so I think I’m in the clear.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wampler is a weirdo too. Over in AI they have a thread about who's a right wing shithead in the automotive youtube ect... scene maybe we need a similar one here for music dicks.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Thumposaurus posted:

Wampler is a weirdo too. Over in AI they have a thread about who's a right wing shithead in the automotive youtube ect... scene maybe we need a similar one here for music dicks.

I mean that's pretty easy for pedals - everyone except Earthquaker and Death by Audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thumposaurus posted:

Do you mind linking this thread?