Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Pro Co RAT is a staple and should be widely available. I think hardcore guys like to use it for their kick drum? The Tube Screamer is very popular for guitar but would probably suck for synths since the effect is pretty subtle and is mainly used to enhance an amp distortion rather than provide distortion on its own. The Big Muff is probably a bit overbearing but could be cool if you want very unsubtle things to happen.

One of the online retails put out a video specifically about plugging synths into distortion pedals -- IIRC it was Sweetwater. It'd probably be worth checking that out, if you can find it from my vague description.

[edit]Yep, it was Sweetwater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Pzoo06O20

BDA fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sounds like time for a Behringer shopping spree.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Gringostar posted:

i really wish boss made a fuzz pedal that wasn't a loving modeling one for this exact reason since every one of them is buffered (seriously the waza craft people need to get on this)

since all boss pedals are buffered they are perfect for synths and they're are so loving many of them out there you can walk into basically any pawn shop and get something useful for cheep

except for fuzz, those fetch way more than they're worth since there have only been 2 of them

The Behringer SF300 is a $25 Boss FZ-2 clone. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you meant though since by the demos it's a lot more Dopethrone than Purple Haze.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Anybody have a suggestion for a first project for a DIY pedal novice? My soldering skills are pretty rudimentary. I've heard the Super Hard On both sounds good and is brain-dead simple, would that be a good choice?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's not the most subtle thing in the world. Maybe it's just my pickups (one guitar has EMGs and the other has hot ceramic humbuckers) but I haven't had much luck getting sounds other than Electric Wizard style earth-moving annihilation out of mine. I'm not complaining too much since Electric Wizard style earth-moving annihilation is mostly what I wanted. There might be some magical combination of volume knob and pick attack that'll get "Purple Haze" instead but I haven't found it yet. Of course, YMMV.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Putting the wah after the distortion is also an option. It can sound pretty different depending on the source.
Also try putting the reverb before the distortion :getin: Definitely not a staple sound but you can get some nifty shoegaze-nightmare sounds that way.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What does a wah pedal actually do, anyway? Is it a high-resonance lowpass filter? It's surprisingly difficult to find a straight answer on this.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

$40 left over to buy a bunch of dirt weed.

Nah, you need another delay. For some reason. I don't know why.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Do you guys have a go-to chorus pedal? I'm a big fan of the TAL-Chorus-60 VST which is a simulation of the Juno-60 chorus (I'm assuming this is the same or at least similar to the JC-120 chorus) and I'm curious what pedal options I have for getting that sound.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Wampler goes a bit goofy modding Metal Zones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_s2PTcwyNw
I like the overdrive and fuzz mods.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My parents just sent me the pedals I left there when I moved out, so if you were curious what kind of cheap crap a cash-strapped teen in the mid-90s used here you go:

The blank Soundtank is a flanger. The wah is a Morley and it really sucks. I don't know if it's defective or what but it has no treble at all and heel down the signal basically disappears.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

After The War posted:

Morelys are optical wahs, so you might able to fix it by cleaning the light and sensor inside.

I found a Youtube demo and the guy's sounds just like mine so this might just be what Morleys sound like.

Unfortunately I don't have the right power supply for the FX57 (old DODs don't use the Boss-style power supply, they have their own that looks like a headphone plug) and I don't particularly want to waste one of my batteries on it, so I can't comment on what it sounds like.

The flanger at least works, aside from the switch being a little flakey.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Snowy posted:

that sounds pretty great? Is it not as good as that would seem to be?

It's only got one tone knob so you can't do the Swedish buzzsaw that is the only reason anyone ever buys an HM-2.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My best analogy for what I don't like about it is that it sounds like a synth with the filter resonance turned down too low.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Leck posted:

This is the right answer - get the adapter, then get a Rat so if you don't like the DOD pedal, you at least have a Rat and a power supply for it.

The Onespot combo pack I got included a few so I can now definitely say that the FX57 is extremely average.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Fooled around a bit more with my FX57 and while it's kinda crappy for guitar I do like how it works with my Korg Monologue.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Anybody have any suggestions for getting the best results out of an HM-2 clone? ("best" meaning "sounding the most like Left Hand Path")
Should I run it into an amp sim or just use it as a preamp?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It should be run into a high gain preamp (either your amp's distortion all the way up or another pedal like a TS). Make sure the eq knobs are dimed on the HM-2.

I tried running it into my Tightmetal and it sounded completely horrible (the wrong kind of horrible, I mean) -- extremely noisy even with the gain on the HM300 all the way off and with an overbearing can-of-bees treble. I'll need to workshop that one a bit, I guess.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'll fiddle with it some more tomorrow, I think the EQs on the two pedals are kinda clashing. I also fiddled around in Amplitube a bit. None of their generic models worked very well but I did get some promising results from some of the Orange amps.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Boss power supply seems to be a de facto generic standard these days so most people use it now unless they have a compelling reason not to, but yeah, you can find plenty of stuff that doesn't. I have a DOD distortion pedal from the 90s that uses a 3.5mm headphone jack as a power supply plug.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I think somebody on these very forums has built one that mounts directly on a guitar knob.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

massive spider posted:

Wherever you have noise you want to kill. If you have noisy pickups putting it at the start can head off noise before it gets amplified or maybe after a dirt if that’s noisy. Put it Before ambient effects though or it will cut off your tails.

Alternatively, put it after ambient effects if you think the cut off tails sound cool.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

JamesKPolk posted:

Ideal would be a box with knobs I could stick on a table and run an expression pedal to - do those exist?
They do, actually -- https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/dunlop-cry-baby-rack-wah
If you for some reason don't want to spend $600 on a wah pedal the 535Q has some adjustability: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CrybabyMulti--dunlop-535q-b-cry-baby-535q-multi-wah-pedal-black

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Fender one has a tube in it so it's automatically better (I think it's also a much bigger tank than you'll usually find in an amp reverb.)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Get a whammy pedal, and then put it after the reverb so it whammies the tail. This will be either cool or extremely annoying. Mission accomplished either way.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Any of you have an opinion on the Earthquaker Hoof? I'm looking for a fuzz that's a bit more versatile than my SF300 and I liked the Hoof's demo.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Can you magically make any piece of poo poo distortion pedal sound good by putting a Tube Screamer in front of it? It's doing wonders for my DOD Hard Rock Distortion, an objectively bad-sounding pedal.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Just picked up an EQD Plumes to replace my Behringer Tube Screamer clone and I'm really impressed with it. I love how touch-sensitive mode 1 is, I was playing some old Rush songs with the gain about halfway up and I could go from crunchy power chords to completely clean arpeggios just by backing off my pick attack.
Also got a Hoof but I haven't dug into that one too much yet.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's not the most versatile thing in the world but if you want a sonic bulldozer it delivers.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Isn't that all of them, though?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Mesa Boogie sells a pedal version of the Mark series' graphic EQ, although the price is a bit ridiculous: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BoogieEQ--mesa-boogie-boogie-five-band-graphic-eq-pedal

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm sure the Mesa claims to have some magic sauce that makes it three times better than a normal EQ pedal. I haven't got a clue what it could be, though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's worth fiddling around with the order of your dirt pedals, too, it can make a big difference.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What baffles me is that the Plumes and the TS-9 are the same price. It's not like EQD is Mooer or some other budget brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
When I was having an Andy Summers phase I really liked running a chorus into a mild overdrive. Gets that gritty New Wave sound.