Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Which category does the swollen pickle fall under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd recommend the nobels odr-1, but you can probably get the soul food cheaper. The soul food is probably also more sturdy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Why is it not green?

has anyone tried the tera echo yet?

Oh and speaking of kits, what are some good starter ones?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i will seriously get one of those if i can get it for a reasonable price

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never turned the gain on my OD up past zero

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
howdy yall is there a good site that goes over effect ordering and stuff because i like to read about that

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i agree with this but also like to read about effects

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

philkop posted:

Why does the Wessex Bogner Pedal sound so drat good?

I took someones advice and just tried some overdrives through my JC-120. Tube screamer was meh (I really want to get my hands on a palisades though, I feel like I could carve out a better tone.) Soul food was great through a tube amp, but not my JC.

The wessex didn't sound like a pedal, it just sounded like some some good dirt added to me amp. I still heard every crystal clear note from my JC, with an added blanket of distortion. I've played some pedals where you literally don't hear the different when switching pickups.

Anyways back on topic.

I love the Wessex, anything similar I should try? (cheaper would be nice, or at least multiple gain stages.)

My biggest gripe with the wessex is that it had too many usable tones. I'd want to sit there tweaking knobs all day. I wish it had like two footswitches, because I could deal with two tones.

i also want to try out a palisades but it has way too many options for me. I want my overdrive pedal to basically be turned on and be done. All I do with my nobels is just drop gain zero, volume 10, tone to taste. it's easy!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i hate that there are so many excellent sounding settings on various pieces of equipment because i am unbelievably lazy and quickly forget what prior settings were

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
where should pitch effects fall in the chain?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

massive spider posted:

Anywhere you like. They can go before gain for bette tracking and a more natural sound but whammys have a more dramatic effect post gain.

i'm really digging the whammy post-od by dint of the fact that it's now also post-delay which makes it turbo-sickness

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not snake oil in that it actually does affect your sound but it exactly does is basically just cut some frequencies iirc. It's overhyped and from what I've generally heard it's nice when you're on your own but sucks some life out of a mix.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
volume pedal recs?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ok cool I'll probably just go with the cheapest choice there as they all seem to do the same job...

Next up: phasers and reverb

Is there any reason to look harder than the mxr phase 90, given that it's so cheap, ubiquitous, and just has one knob which is all i really need

I also want a reverb. I want to be able to add just a touch of reverb to my gain sounds, but I also want one with more play for cleans. I don't want to buy 2 so I'll just buy a supernatural or whatever that other cool digitech one is, but if there's a reverb i could get that has two settings for a reasonable price that would be cool. thanks yall

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i have a question about power supplies:

can you daisy chain off of stuff when using them or does that defeat the point? some supplies don't seem to have that many isolated lines.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
While I'm waiting for the rest of my board components to get in (including a joyo power supply!!! wish me luck!!!), where's the best place for a volume pedal? After dirt? In the loop (that would be bad right)? I don't want another volume knob, I want to be able to do volume swells and stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
really liking bulky expression pedals makes assembling pedalboards difficult

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was going to replace my whammy with a polyphonic detune from digitech since that's my favorite function of it but i managed to squeeze it into a spot that makes it looks like a fat person riding bitch on a motorcycle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Best bet for custom patch cables?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are both good options.

Also looking for a phase shifter, something with depth and rate controls. I'll probably just get a phase 90 and deal with the fact that it's always on, unless I find a better deal on something else...

And if anyone's owned both the Digitech Polara and Supernatural reverbs please chime in they both seem really cool.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Postmaster GBS posted:

I used a PH-2 for a long time, they are cool but get overly 'drippy' and 'gloopy' for my tastes. Too intense.

I tried a phase 90 for a little bit and I liked how I didn't have to mess with multiple knobs constantly. Not intense enough, though.

I switched to an EQD grand orbiter and I don't think I will need a new phaser for a long time.

What kind of stuff do you want to use it for?

Just an all purpose phaser. I think the malekko, partly due to the internal trim, is probably the best choice to just gently caress around with.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ok I currently have my chain like this:

Tuner

OD

Wah

Whammy

Phaser

Volume

Delay

Verb

Gate

I kind of like having Whammy after Delay but I'm not sure whether I should switch the position of the Whammy or the position of the Delay.

The only pedal I have going through the loop is the gate, I haven't really hosed around with the others in the loop. It's a series loop so I guess the reverb and delay and volume could go there, but I'm not really familiar with loops.

e: I also use my whammy as a pseudo-chorus if that helps figure out which I should move.

muike fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 1, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Slightly revised chain:

Tuner

OD

Wah

phaser

Delay

Whammy

Volume

Verb

Anyone forsee problems here?

I basically just want to put my whammy after my delay, so the position of my phaser, whammy, and delay is kind of up in the air

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

polynominal-c posted:

Does the Whammy track correctly when being used after the delay?

Not quite as well, but still really well. Plus loving a whammy up is half the fun.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Personally I would swap the Wah and OD, Whammy and Delay.

WAH ALWAYS AFTER OD. I WILL DIE FOR THIS

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

Power supply is one area where you shouldn't cheap out. Just bite the bullet and get a PP2. You're going to eventually anyway after whatever piece of poo poo you have now fails.

This is good advice that I have never succeeded to follow

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I imagine it's just the DT function from the Whammy DT which is basically just the Whammy setting from the Whammy V set in chord mode, which I own and use, so I imagine it works pretty well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My whammy does. I haven't spent a ton of time doing detuning with it aside from an octave down here and there, which means i'm not really doing much in the way of chords, but it still seems really close to 0 latency.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im actually trying to get rid of gear so, kindly, gently caress off up your own b-hole

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Nobels ODR1 is one of the best I've tried. But to be clear, I use all ODs as clean boosts. What do you play?

muike fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 18, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
try the green rhino. the gain on that thing is reminiscent of the huge, bass-heavy sounds the pumpkins got with their big muffs

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What amp are you running right now? Like I said, I really like my Nobels (it's apparently the OD of choice for the Nasvhille scene) but some pedals pair better with other amps than others.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

NonzeroCircle posted:

Many moons ago I had a Nobels bass overdrive (no idea what happened to it) but that thing was built like a drat tank and had the sound to match.

Unfortunately the enclosures aren't as sturdy nowadays and have plastic battery compartments, but are compatible with remote switches. All told, it doesn't bother me, but I'd probably put it in a custom enclosure if I was doing serious gigging or touring.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Reverb is great and I got my last guitar there, which was as good as new, for like 700 less than new price

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone got any leads on modern replicas of the mu-tron biphase? or something with similar capabilities?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I looked around a tiny bit and saw that. I guess it makes sense.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
skip the bullshit and just go straight to something high like the voodoo labs stuff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nobels odr-1 and a tuner pedal
thats all i need

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What you all actually want is the Wampler Belle or Nobels ODR-1 which the wampler copies

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
anyone got good helix patches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Everybody give it up for the Line 6 DL4, the delay pedal that is basically its own instrument