Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

3toes posted:

and the Germanium OD is pretty cool if you're into that garage sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCCXE1Vilo
Well, I think you may have just sold me on one of these. I need to go check one out for myself, but that sounds incredible in that clip. It makes me wonder how it would do on bass too, but I can't quite picture it. That fuzzy 60's sound is just perfect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

El Miguel posted:

Anybody want to recommend me some settings for a Line 6 DL-4? I recently lucked into one, and I'm a total delay novice. I should add, though, that I don't want to use this thing in a remotely tasteful way--more along the lines of creating a JAMC-esque wall of noise. Only worse.
Can we talk about this JAMC (or Raveonettes)-esque wall of noise a little? I'd love to get a little closer to that, but it may not be possible out of a Vox AC-15 or Fender Blues Jr. Cranking up the distortion on my Rat along with a ton of reverb puts me in the right direction, but I have no Shin-Ei fuzz wah. Any suggestions?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with the Way Huge Swollen Pickle? I'm thinking about picking one up, and want to know if I'm missing any massive flaws, or if it's as cool of a fuzz as it looks.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

duckfarts posted:

FYI: iStomp pedals are currently :20bux::20bux: a pop.
Go to the musiciansfriend closeout page then pick iStomp(shows up as $150) and put it in your cart; a discount will be applied to it and the end total will be $40.
Those do look really cool, but do they require an ios device to use at all? It looks that way to me, but it sounds like you have some experience with the things?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been thinking about getting a looper to mess around with and improve practice/make noisy messes. Am I right in my understanding that the Ditto X2 kind of the standard choice these days?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

In order to hurt the wallets of people reading this thread, it's important that I let you know that that Musicansfriend has a big sale on thread-enjoyed TC Electronic pedals like the Alter Ego V2 delay ($70) and T2 reverb ($90), among other things.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been looking at tremolo pedals, and the choices are getting overwhelming. Is this the kind of thing where I should just grab a used Boss TR2 and stop thinking about it, or is there a reason I should absolutely go for something else? I'm mostly interested in a more vintage sound (I miss the tremolo on my Vox AC-15 and will probably just sit around playing stuff like Crimson and Clover endlessly as soon as I have a pedal in my possession), but some choppy helicopter stuff is always fun too. The pedals that have seemed to jump out at me as commonly recommended are below in vague order of price - any opinions on them?

Boss TR2
EHX Stereo Pulsar
Voodoo Labs Tremolo
Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter
Source Audio Vertigo

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I have yet to find a situation where this is bad advice.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

After The War posted:

As the owner of um... 9 DOD pedals, this thing does the job. But if you don't want to throw a battery in it, you probably don't want to buy a dedicated adapter-adapter.

(Though if you want to get into collecting pedals, it's worth it to have one or two, since a lot of old American brands used the Male Prong, like EHX, MXR, and ProCo.)
This is the right answer - get the adapter, then get a Rat so if you don't like the DOD pedal, you at least have a Rat and a power supply for it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Alright, I have a power question for the thread. I was diagnosing a pedal that seemed to have power issues, and decided to try out some other known-working pedals with my power supplies and got some troubling results.

Tested pedals: Boss TR-2, Boss SD-1, Xotic SP Compressor, DOD Carcosa, DOD Rubberneck (not working)
Tested power supplies: Joyo Power Supply 2, 1Spot (no daisy chaining, just plugged directly in), Boss single pedal power supply

When plugged into the Joyo power supply or on a 9V battery, all work normally (except the Rubberneck, which looks like it's getting very little power - all lights are very dim, and it doesn't power on). When plugged into the 1Spot or the Boss power supply, the LEDs on all of the other pedals flash at about 90BPM, and no guitar signal goes through them. When plugged into an amp, I hear some noise when the LED flashes on. I've tried plugging them in in multiple rooms, with and without surge protectors, and get the same results.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't find much information online about flashing LEDs in guitar pedals. I haven't used the 1Spot or Boss supplies in the last couple of months, but they were working fine before then. Anything else that I haven't thought of to try?

Edit: I figured the cheapest and easiest way to test this was to just buy a new 1Spot and return it if it didn't make a difference. Turns out the new one works fine, so there's just something wrong with the old one. I've probably had it at least 10 years, so I'm okay with replacing it. And it even makes my Rubberneck work again, which the Joyo power supply won't do consistently for some reason. Hooray!

The Leck fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 10, 2019

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Schpyder posted:

Me and Leck have one, and I really wouldn't recommend it as a general-purpose delay, but the DOD Rubberneck sounds almost perfect for what you want. It's got very long BBD delay times (with the lo-fi sound that implies, especially for really long times), with footswitchable and easy-to-dial-in self-oscillation. It also has modulation to get you that warped character, as well as gain so you can add a bit of grit, and a tone control. It also has the unique rubberneck feature, which shifts the delay clock speed by 2x/0.5x (depending on knob position), which has the effect of pitching your repeats up or down an octave, with a controllable tamp rate. It also, also has an effects loop so you can apply effects only to the wet repeats. It's a really interesting pedal, and the last labor of love from Tom Kramm at DOD/DigiTech before Harman/Samsung decided to fire the entire team.
I'm not really a delay expert at all, but yeah, I've got one of these too and it's pretty neat. It's got multiple knobs for your gritty/warped needs, and it will definitely self-oscillate. It seems pretty loaded with features for an analog delay - fairly long times, tap tempo with multiple subdivision settings, the modulation and gain on the repeats, and the effects loop. It's fairly power hungry and sometimes requires a couple of plugs and unplugs to get it to work with my cheapo Joyo power supply, but it's been fine with a dedicated supply, and Schpyder has mentioned no power problems at all with a nicer supply than mine. Definitely worth checking out a few of the demo videos to see if it might work for you.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

I tell you what else is fun, having a Fulltone OCD bought in 2011ish, checking out of the gear hunt for a decade and coming back in 2023 to find out Mike Fuller is a racist piece of poo poo.
OCD does sound fantastic though. I got mine out again recently and I had forgotten how good it was. Also, it will piss everyone off - it’s Fulltone, it’s got comic sans all over it, it’s version 2.0, not 1.4 or 1.7. I bought mine used, so I think I’m in the clear.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

muike posted:

best cost to benefit phaser? I don't want to bring my bi-phase on my pedalboard
I’ve been really happy with my Phase 95, and it’s tiny. I bought it because I didn’t know what kind of phaser I wanted, and it’s ended up on the Phase 90 Script setting almost exclusively. I’d be curious to hear other people’s experiences with more complex phasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been looking at tonebenders, and there's a million options! Anyone have one they like for something in the Mk1/1.5/2 style with some modern conveniences like not being huge and using a power supply instead of batteries?