Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What are the options out there for a ross-like compressor these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
But my wallet :(

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Good call. At that price difference it'll be easy to be satisfied by "close enough".

e: Gonna go with the Keeley Compressor Plus for the addition of the 'blend' knob. Not much difference in price than the older 2/4 knob models either.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 10, 2018

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a tube screamer style OD that is more versatile than a straight up TS or TS clone. Something that cleans up nicely when the guitar's volume is rolled back is important to me. Anyone have any recommendations? Amp is currently a 65 DRRI, if that matters. This is what I've been considering:
  • Keeley Red Dirt / Red Dirt Mini: a Keeley modded TS with 2-4 modes (depending on size)
  • Fulltone Full Drive 2: 3 modes + a boost
  • Way Huge Green Rhino: TS clone with control over lows/mids as well as 2 modes
  • Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive: TS clone with the addition of a clean blend knob

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Krustic posted:

That new JHS bonsai may be worth checking out.

Looks cool, but for that price I'd probably go for an EQD Palisades (especially used V1s). Trying to cap myself at ~$100 new or used for the time being.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MrSargent posted:

Right now, I have a 1/4" TRS Cable (balanced) running from the Audio Out (Mono) on my Roland TR-8 into the Line Level input on the back of my Scarlett 18i8. I wanted to add a distortion pedal in between and not thinking about it, I just grabbed a short unbalanced 1/4" and connected the Audio Out to the input of the pedal. Then I connected the balanced cable to the output of the pedal to route into the audio interface. The sounds seems to be just fine but I am wondering if there is an issue with switching from unbalanced to balanced cables in a chain like this?

MrSargent posted:

Korg Minilogue -> 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Input CH-1 -> Output CH-1 -> 2x 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Input A&B RV-6 -> Output A&B RV-6-> 2x 1/4" TRS (unbal) -> Connect to two Line Inputs (5/6 for example) on the audio interface. Then I would need to set up a single Audio Track in Ableton for both channels 5/6 and arm record, correct? I was just wondering if this made sense. This is probably a dumb question, but what happens to the Dry sound of the synth that outputs in Mono when it passes through the pedals outputting in Stereo?
Your terminology here is a bit confusing. All TRS cables can pass a balanced, mono signal if the gear on both sides of the cable has balanced inputs/outputs. If both connections aren't balanced, then the signal isn't balanced, regardless of whether you use a TRS or TS cable. If you're using a TRS cable to send a stereo signal (e.g. a headphone out), the signal will always be unbalanced. TS cables (like a standard instrument cable) only support an unbalanced, mono signal.

I believe your entire signal path from synth to the 18i8's inputs is unbalanced, so mixing in some TS cables will work without issue (and in fact these would be the 'correct' cables to use). Usually using TRS cables with unbalanced gear works fine, the exception being what whiter than a Wilco show mentioned about using TRS cables with battery powered stomp box inputs. Where you can sometimes run into trouble is going from unbalanced output > TRS cable > balanced input, but it doesn't look like that applies to your setup.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
RMC (Teese) wahs are all true bypass

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Do we have any talk boxers here? Any opinions on the MXR M222 vs Rocktron Banshee 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The MXR doesn't have the amp problem either. I was borrowing my buddies MXR for a couple weeks but now it's time to get my own. The two i mentioned are straight forward to setup/use (ignoring that actually playing a talk box isn't easy to learn).