Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I said I'd post clips of my English Muff played through my Bassman a million times but never did.

Here she is:

http://gozoidberg.net/files/muff.mp3

Excuse the cliche style shredding, but it's hard to fight it when you click this pedal on :o:

There's a Small Stone phaser on, a Boss DD2 delay, and the English Muff (going to my Bassman). Gain is at about 1 o'clock. The guitar is my Parker Nitefly. The Bassman has the bright switch on, Treble at 10, Bass at 10, Master Volume at 10, and channel volume at 1.5 :ssh:

Here's the pedal switched off, same guitar and other effects on (excuse the clipping):

http://gozoidberg.net/files/bassman.mp3

Only up to date picture I have, Nitefly not shown here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Agreed posted:

Haha, that sounds so much like the Danelectro Fab-Tone! I'm going to record a clip to see if my hypothesis is correct, since I'm at my wife's parents' house so I can't just confirm it directly, but I think it is!

I love the Fab-Tone's distortion, and I think I'd love this pedal too. Fuzzsortion :rock:

My goal for this weekend is to record some more clips with the volume slightly higher than 1.5 :v:. I'm thinking 6 or 7. The pedal actually sounds worlds better with the amp volume up and gain knob down.

I forgot to mention, I put 12ax7's in the pedal to replace the stock tubes. It helps smooth it out.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

3toes posted:

Crank the mids! Sounded a little scooped for my tastes. Or maybe it was the other effects. Just engage the muff'n leave the other stuff off.

On the Muff'n, the mids and bass are at 3 o'clock, with the treble at 9 o'clock. It gets way too bright if you put it up any higher, especially with the Bassman's bright switch on.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Does anyone have any experiences with the Vox ToneLab ST and Zoom G3? I'm looking for some kind of multi-effects pedal to play around with at home and I'm leaning towards the G3 since it has loop functions and a built in drum machine that I may or may not use. I haven't gotten to try either pedal out yet, but so far I like the layout and feature set of the Vox but really want some loop action. Am I better off going with the Vox and getting a separate loop pedal down the road or is the G3 decent enough to start with?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Hope this was some use!

Definitely, thanks for the write-up. I thought about the Vox's expression/volume pedal and realized that the Zoom actually supports an add-on pedal. I have a Line6 one laying around somewhere but I'm not sure if it needs a Zoom specific one. I'm going to try to get to Guitar Center later today to try them out. I watched some demo videos with the Zoom and I did get the impression that some of the effects were tinny sounding, but it's tough to judge from a YouTube video being watched on a tablet. I'll report back if I get to try them out later.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

So I tried out the Zoom and it's pretty sweet. Unfortunately they didn't have the Vox for me to try. The G3 has a shitload of pedals built in, and from what I gathered there was too many screechy sounding gain pedals. I really liked having all the different modulation effects though and I was able to get some pretty awesome sounds out of it. I'm still on the fence about it until I can try the Vox.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Alright so I ended up going with the G3. The idea of being able to hook it up to my computer and edit the patches was a huge selling point and I'm dialing in my own as we speak :waycool:

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Can anyone give any recommendations for a first time DIY pedal kit? I found a few sites but figured I'd check here first. Just looking to do something basic like a fuzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

polar posted:

I figured out what I wanted to build and started looking. There are allot of places. I sourced all the parts myself. Build your own clone is one place. Mammoth electronics is another. there are lots of schematics on http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/ I built a sunface clone. The hard part of looking on tagboard effects was finding the board. I got a few off tayda electronics(prototyping board). Think I got the components from pedal parts plus. Just google DIY guitar pedal. The pedals are just the start. You can build amp clones. After the issues with my first pedal I am not interested in a amp anytime soon. Also the amps get close to the price of retail.

I found Mammoth in my searches and they seem great so far. I'll probably get something from them. I got ahead of myself yesterday and started looking at DIY amps but don't want to drop the cash and risk blowing myself up, so I'll start small.