Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
There's two things I'm working on. First is an editor tool for creating landscapes. It's meant to generate, edit and export meshes and textures for use in a game I'm making. I'm currently figuring out how to do proper LOD for terrains.

The next one I will post so you can mock me. It's a deck building helper app for my son who really loves his Yu-Gi-Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Nuke Mexico posted:

Out of curiosity, are you using any sort of UI toolkit for the terrain editor app, or is that just all stuff you did on your own?

That's all my own UI library and texture. It's still inefficient in dealing with text, but I think that's mostly DirectX's fault :)

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Paradoxish posted:

If you're using ID3DXFont it's going to be slow and there's just no way around it. I spent a while working on my own XML/Lua scriptable UI system for a game project that I'm working on and after a while I came to the conclusion that ID3DXFont was just far too slow to be usable for anything text-heavy. I ended up writing my own simple bitmap font renderer that uses FreeType to generate glyphs and the improvement is absolutely ridiculous. I got something like a 20x decrease in frametime when displaying large amounts of text.

I'd post some screenshots of the project it's a part of, but it's fairly unremarkable looking at the moment since I'm saving most of the display-related code for later. :(

Ya I'm using ID3DXFont mostly because I'm lazy. The biggest benefit of it is that it does word wrapping and clipping for me without me caring about font metrics, but it prevents me from firing out the entire UI in a single call, because I have to stop and make seperate calls to font->DrawText().

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I spent most of the day working on an algorithm that grows trees procedurally for an upcoming game. You can't see the growth in action, but the results are looking sweet. Now if only I can do decent leaves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

PnP Bios posted:

Doom clone from scratch. Collision detection actually works, yay! Now I'm refactoring and poo poo.

Are you actually writing Doom in TK??? I thought Tk died over a decade ago. Wow.

Edit: Well a quick google shows that OpenTK is not the same as the old TK/Windowing shell used with TCL. That would have been craziness!

Madox fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 18, 2010

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I posted about working on a tree algorithm a while ago and as of last week I moved on to other parts of terrain generation, so here is a video of the results of the tree experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZM8gFPjlY

The growth is vastly sped up in the video compared to how it will be in my game.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Surface posted:

This is cool. I didn't see your original post, what language/technologies are you using?

I'm using C# and XNA, cross compiling for XBox. It's strictly DX9 and 3.0 shaders since that is what the XBox supports. Coming from C++ I thought I would really hate XNA but actually, I like it.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

clockwork automaton posted:

Of course it was coded in D

Wow this is great - I never heard of D before but I'll be investigating it tonight. Being able to load C/C++ libraries is pretty useful.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I've been slowly (still) working on my XBox game, which means writing a bunch of standalone demos to work out various game components. I've recently gone back to my tree growing demo and added the ability to harvest branches as a resource. I think it turned out pretty awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1h-DFGHPes

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I've been working on a small WindowsPhone game that has augmented reality elements in it. There are a number of enemies orbiting around you and you have to look around using the phone's camera to find and shoot them.

This past weekend, it's finally up in the WindowsPhone Marketplace, so check it out if you can. You don't need to buy it - the trial version is the exact same as the paid version (the paid version is there for those that like to support me).

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/7a36c3c8-5338-4c56-b399-38f7e655fdc5

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Nition posted:

I started making a Doodle Jump clone as a way to learn Unity, but it somehow turned into this:

So it's kinda like a first-person Doodle Jump, with randomly-generated levels. Still a bunch of work to do on making the content a bit more varied and interesting. Originally I had the platforms going straight up in a cylinder arrangement, but trying to look around and land on platforms at the same time just didn't work, so now it's more like a path.

Actually, the cool thing I've just implemented is randomly-generated music, which you can hear in action in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoMn_FWKmi4

Hah funny seeing you here - someone showed me that video recently. Really good job. Are you using some kind of toon shader? I really like the look and feel in the video.

For my own project, I started trying to figure out how to add flowing water to my terrain renderer. I'm trying to use algorithm from the ShaderX7 book but its all openGL and I use XNA, so for now I'm using something off the top of my head.

Video can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8KfR5-hI0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

PDP-1 posted:

Cool stuff! Are you keeping two vertex buffers around for the water and land sections? Is that rectangular edge in the video just the edge of your water simulation space or is there some other effect going on?

I tried something like that recently and used water/soil flow algorithms from this paper (look at the thermal/hydraulic erosion sections). I ended up abandoning the project, but got as far as modeling the water and sand flows and linking them together by allowing moving water to pick up or drop off sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku6gLsTH1E0

Yours looks pretty good to me. Is the frame rate of updates as fast as it can be, or did you set it at that rate? The method of picking up sand and dropping it off is the same as I read in ShaderX - the paper is here - but currently I am only working on water flows and not erosion.

I use the same vertex buffer for water and land - its just a flat grid mesh. The water and land have their own heightmaps. The edge in the video is because the world is rendered in chunks and water doesn't cross over from one chunk to another. I'm not sure how to handle that, really. It seems like I need to copy data to each heightmap each frame which will suck.