Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Planet X posted:

I have the same Music Man HD212! :hfive:

Long shot, but hate to throw it away:

I was scammed at a swap meet, someone sold me a Boss CD-5 Chorus Ensemble pedal, and it doesn't work and per the shop I took it to, the board has been irreparably messed up. If anyone builds pedals and wants the thing (the body of which is in really great shape), just PM me and you can basically have it for shipping, maybe gimmie a :10bux: so I can buy some beer, I don't really care. I just don't want the thing to go to waste in the electronics recycling bin if it could live on as someone's frankenpedal.

PMed you on the pedal, if you've still got it, I've been looking for a case to build my own pedal. I can also take a look at the pcb board and see if it can be fixed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone here interested in selling me an acoustic travel guitar? Particularly got my eyes on a Martin Backpacker

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Have you ever played a Martin Backpacker? If you had I don't think you'd be looking to buy one

Yeah, I see the negative reviews... I just need a small acoustic travel guitar for backpacking and travel.

Or just get better on the mandolin, which is the whole reason I picked one up... That's probably the correct answer really.

Looking to sell a Recording King resonator and Washburn Zebrawood solid top electro-acoustic if anyone is interested... I'll post some pics and more details when I get home tonight

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Anime Reference posted:

What's wrong with it? Genuine question, I've never played one.

Washburn makes this, which is in roughly the same price point and is a tiny bit more guitar-shaped, if that's the problem. I have no idea how good it is though, I have no experience with Washburn anything.

Hey cool, that's even better looking! Pulled the trigger on a like new customer return from musicians friend for 150.

I'm not looking for a performance guitar, just something to keep my callouses up on backpacking and vacation trips, and is small enough I can bring as carry on luggage and strap to my pack.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Bunk posted:

Help me get rid of some stuff! Might be interested in cool pedals or other things in trade. Prices are PP/Shipped. PM with any questions. Pics here:

Straps:
Couch Deer - $25
Souldier blue- $20
Levi's Sheepskin Banjo- $15

Cusack Single Pedal Tamer - $50
Pretty cool true-bypass looper with some interesting options. Switch between standard off/on switching, on when pressed, and off when pressed. Never used, though the case does have a few minor marks.

No-Name Rangemaster clone treble booster - $40
3-way switch for different frequency emphasis (not sure on the specifics). Works great as a standard treble or full-range boost.

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ - $130
Includes:
-AC power cable
-Pedaltrain mounting bracket (Full disclosure : I just noticed one of the little screws holding the bracket to the PP2+ is missing)
-6 standard 9V cables
- 1 Voltage doubling adapter
- 1 Current doubling adapter (not pictured because I just found it)

ART Pro Channel - $150
Works great, a bit scratched up obviously & previous owner marked his favorite settings with paint.

Groove Tubes GT-55 - $100
CAD E-100 - $150
Couple of decent LDC mics in good condition. Soft or hard case included (see pix). Foam in the CAD case is disintegrating.

PM sent!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Selling my Alesis Nitro Drum kit with rubber pads, about one year old. Asking 180$ shipped. Kit is in good shape, I just wound up buying a full drum set so I don’t have room for it anymore. sold to Blacksheep!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 20, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
E: nvm

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

moon demon posted:

Thanks for this. I’ve been thinking about it for a bit. I have little kids (1 and 3) so my only real “me” time is post-8pm after the kids are in bed. Because of this I don’t think I can commit to actual human taught lessons until the kids are a little older. So, I was thinking of trying various educational apps/videos that I can do at night. I’ve heard good things about justinguitar, and also plan on trying out Rocksmith (I dropped $20 and bought the 2014 version before it’s being delisted later this month).

Sorry this is veering off thread topic!

Grats on the new guitar!!!

For Justin Guitar, I really liked his music theory workbook. Essentially what it boils down to is forced familiarity through repetition and regular exercises, and you begin to see and understand patterns right on the fretboard. He's since reworked it into a course, but you need a subscription to access that, though I'm sure you could find the pdf of the old one floating around somewhere. I do like a bunch of his videos on YouTube though! I did buy some of his books and whatnot and other than the practical music theory workbook, his books didn't click for me as much as some of his viddyas.

Regarding Rocksmith, I personally didn't really enjoy it as as much as I'd hoped since I felt like the lag broke my brain trying to follow along vs playing what I enjoyed. Neat concept though!

More than anything else, just sitting down 15-30 minutes a day and building up the callouses and muscle memory is going to be your best friend, especially if you can get down a few chords like G, A, C D, E you can play a ton of stuff and as you build up muscle memory the chords transition faster. Getting the hang of time is also really good, understanding that most stuff follows a 4 beat pattern, and being able to strum and count basic 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. And since you got an electric, playing with pedals and distortion is gonna be a blast.

Hopefully some of that is helpful for ya... there's so many resources, it's tough to figure out where to start and it's so easy to get discouraged, took me a few false starts to get to a spot where I could enjoy what I was doing and understand it, so don't put too much pressure on yourself or emphasis on being good at first, it just takes time and practice. Good luck!!