Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
time to wrap it up, Leicailures

Yashica Lynx 14 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

shiny new roll of Ektar loaded and ready to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Cheap Kodak Gold, cheap Craigslist Petri 7 rangefinder, lovely Rite-Aid developing.

:rolleyes: by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

24 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Not sure if it's the film or the developing that's so heavy on the magenta. I'm probably going to switch back to drugstore Fuji Superia for my cheapo film of choice. There's some other weirdness on the roll that makes me wonder if the shutter is working correctly... at least I'm only out $15 for the camera.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Where is everybody buying expired film these days? I used to see slightly expired stuff at B&H and such but it's never the deep discounted couple years old stuff. Local craigslist is a bust. Ebay didn't return any results but maybe I'm not doing it right.

A picture for your time:

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

I've been really wanting to get a Rollei 35, they're just so cheap (25) that I can't justify not getting one. How's the quality of that little lens?

I have the 2.8 Sonnar version and it does the job.

Now that I have a rangefinder that actually lets me see focus though, it's on permanent pocket camera duty with Tri-X pushed to 1600.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodoorootbeer/tags/rollei35s/

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

Shot some Provia 400X last month and forgot to post the results here

Snack Shop by Winston85, on Flickr

Did you mess with the exposure in post at all? It seems kind of shifted to the blues. I have a 5 pack of Provia 100F that I plan to shoot mostly sunny 16 and I'm hoping to avoid wierd color shifts if I screw up a little.

More Rollei 35s chat: Your ISO dial goes to 1600. You can shoot 1600 outdoors in overcast conditions or in a variety of indoors lighting situations. Choice seems clear.

karate by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

NOW IN GLORIOUS EXTRA C O L O R by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Does anybody shoot 220 anymore? I got a dozen rolls of cold-stored from my uncle that I don't foresee myself using any time soon. I was basically a kid in a candy store when I went through the rest of his stash.

Actual film as compensation for lovely flickr app-filtered phone cameraness:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Another disadvantage: my TLR's counter only goes to 12.

...yeah yeah get a better camera. I'm waiting until I find one at "stole it from a yard sale" price.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Am I interested in a Canon EOS Rebel G? My sister is offering it to me, but it looks like it's a mediocre film SLR. I doubt she has any nice glass for it. I've always used Nikon, so I don't know the Canon lineup at all.

How much is she asking? Cheap film camera is almost always > no film camera.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Why does it need a viewfinder and a bright frame window if it's only scale focus?

Y'all made me get an Instax.

under the road by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

alkanphel posted:

Considering what happened recently, I'm not even sure if Fuji will continue to make Acros 100 in the long run.

How many people do you think were actually buying Neopan 400 compared to tri-x and hp5?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Meanwhile I bought some Acros and instantly realized I was a good person because who the gently caress buys b&w 100 that's not Acros.

In other news, a girl at the farm where I work saw me tooling around with my Yashica and offered me an AE-1 with speedlight and a pile of old film for $50. Couldn't say no. The film is mostly cheap Fuji and Kodak but I'm not really sure what all of it is.

Mystery film day! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

She said a friend rolled the left one for her and that she thought it was black and white but hosed if I know what has a slightly greenish yellow backing layer. I'm gonna say the Giant Eagle stuff is Fuji Superia since it says "Made in Japan" and I assume that the Kodak Max is just the older version of Kodak Gold. Ideas?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

I took an instax hiking today.

img001.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img004.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I don't feel like the scans do justice to the negs though.

Pos's? I wonder how much the Instax chemistry has in common with E-6 since it's positive rather than negative.

I went ahead and "scanned" mine with my D90 and macro lens. The real trick is eliminating the reflections.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

I have a couple rolls of Acros and a couple of Tri-X sitting around that I want to develop. I shot the Tri-X at a variety of speeds from 400 to 1600 because I intend to stand develop. I was thinking Rodinal and I found plenty of Acros and Tri-X stuff developed in Rodinal that I like on Flickr. This will be my first home develop and I was really hoping to grab a pile of Arista Premium from Freestyle in the same order. Is this my best bet? Should I worry about expiration if I'm only using tiny amounts for stand developing?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

nielsm posted:

Finally, got a remotely serious DSLR negative scanning rig set up. (Tip: Get a thin CCFL or LED light table for background light.)
So a few random shots from a zoo trip this summer.

Oh god the sharpness! :fap:

From LETPD - Can you post a picture of your rig? I'm hoping to build one soon although I'll probably just use my SB-700 in a light box behind the negative as the backlight.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Not to mention that Walgreens is likely only set up to do C41 so they will either completely hose your Tri-X or just not know what to do with it.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

There's no "silly antique store bullshit" thread so this can go here:

Ansco Flash Clipper by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

There's a roll in there with only 4 exposures used, so of course I'm going to finish it off. Any idea if a minilab set up to do C41 120 could run 616 through without a problem? I'm probably going to have to wait for a sunny day since I don't even recognize that flash connection. Also not sure why there's an exposure guide with variable aperture on it since this thing is definitely fixed everything.

Side note: the flickr app now has a built in editor with a "backlit" setting, so that's handy I guess.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

maxmars posted:

Briefly interrupting your programmed schedule of Portra awesomeness with a nifty Superia pic

Autumn at last di maxmars70, su Flickr

Superia makes budget-conscious magic with plant life and cloudy days.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Curlynegchat and macrolenschat -relevant -- I just finished my first roll of home developed Acros.

Euclid by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Narmada by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I ended up cutting 35mm-sized mat board from a scrap piece of mat then using clamps to attach it a piece of picture frame glass. I set my SB-700 pointed at the back of a cardboard box with a hole in it, then put sheets of printer paper on the back of the box and in front of the hole. Shot at f11, 1/125, 200ISO with flash at 1/2 power.

D90 with 105 Micro Nikkor "scanner" by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Couple negs had this weird fog - is it from underexposure or some photoflo fuckery?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Spedman posted:

The first few shots look a little low in contrast, are they straight out of your rig? As for the last one, does the neg itself look very thin, giving lots of black space with a positive?

Some if the negs were really low contrast, yeah. I added some contrast in Lightroom mostly by pulling down the blacks and upping the whites until the histogram started to clip. Pretty sure the left side loss of contrast in the sliding board picture is flare -- the Lynx has an uncoated lens that flares like a motherfucker.

The dark space in the foggy ones does look really thin. I can't really see anything on the neg itself. I had my diffuser paper about an inch behind the frame... maybe I should move it back some more?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

while i was processing these I thought they were portra, but I went back and looked at the filenames and it turned out they're all ektar, so I had to update my "portra is god" philosphy to "portras 160 and 400 are the Father and Son and ektar is the Holy Ghost"

Radar Road by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Dust Town by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Infinity by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Dimming by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Done for the Day by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

High Desert (Tonopah Synopsis) by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Seriously those look heck of nice. Why do people poo poo all over Ektar?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

just err on overexposure and avoid super high contrast scenes.

pshhhhhhhh

Wish You Were Here! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any tips for shooting Provia 400x in the 120 format? I'm guessing there's not a lot of give so I just have to nail exposure but I've never shot slide film in 120 before or Provia at all.

If it's anything like Provia 100F, avoid contrasty scenes/lighting and err on the side of underexposure. Overcast days are magic.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

I love my Lynx, and I agree that I'd rather take it and its f1.4 lens to a concert than a Leica that costs 10x as much, but I'd take an SLR over a rangefinder any day. It might just be me, but rangefinder focusing is pretty lovely in low light conditions.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

I'm going to stop shooting my pile of expired 400H until after winter is over and I can shoot more green things with it.

Ian by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Tony Two Bapes posted:

I just got my first roll of velvia 100 back and I think I'm sold on this stuff for a while.

something fishy by PC-P, on Flickr

Well your Flickr stream is certainly disconcerting.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Kind of a weird sky day. I swear this is unfucked with in post.

A Pale Horse Obeys by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Green St. by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Euclid Ave. by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Sidney St. by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Having some issues with newton rings and generally lackluster scans. I'm not exactly expecting much from a $20 thrift shop Epson 3170 and a negative holder that I made by cutting a piece of matte board to size and sandwiching the negatives under a piece of anti-glare glass. I might give it another go after flattening them out under some books. All the 35 I've developed so far has ended up ridiculously curly.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Spedman posted:

Speaking of toxicity, I made an Argyrotype of that negative to see how the x-ray film goes with the alt-printing:

X-ray Test by mr_student, on Flickr

Your alt-printing stuff is really cool. Is there anything that can be done with medium format negatives and without a huge investment in time and wierd chems?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Apparently Fuji discontinued some more films, except I've never heard of either one.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/03/fujifilm-discontinues-neopan-400-presto-35mm-fujicolor-pro-400-120-film/

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

So I'm looking at a cheap pair of Omega D2 enlargers tomorrow. Of course, if I have enlargers, I'll need somewhere to print... so now the question.

I've got a spare bedroom that's being used for storage. It has two windows and two doors which tend to leak light top, bottom, and sides. With a little work I could probably black out the windows, and if I turn off every other light in the house (I live alone) I don't see any light coming around the door (at night). It also has one of those light switches that's lit when you turn off the lights, but since the light is faint and orange it would only be a problem for undeveloped film, not for paper.

The other option is the basement. It's quite small and I don't really use it for anything:

^ There's another window like that immediately to the right of where I was standing

And there's some really outstanding wiring down there:

There's also a full-sized window at the top of the stairs.

Unfortunately I don't have windowless rooms in my house. There are two walk-in closets in the master bedroom, and one is big enough (and empty enough) that I could probably fit a small desk in there. With the bedroom door closed, lights off, and the closet door closed, I can't see any light leaking around the door. Would I be poisoning myself with fumes if I work in such a small place, though?

I'd love to see some discussion on this because I'm in a similar situation - I have a cellar with a small window that I'd ideally like to black out and convert to ventilation in one go. I could have sworn that there was a printing thread but I can't find it.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Got some weirdness with my last roll of 35:

These were the 17th and 18th exposures on a 36exp roll of Arista Premium 400. Everything before 17 is fine; everything after 18 is similarly hosed. Did it in 1:100 Rodinal for 1 hr., 10 initial inversions with 5 more midway through. Two rolls in the tank: Arista on the bottom and Ilford 3200 (development looked fine) on top. This is probably my 7th roll or so in the same process but the first to screw up. This was also the first time that I did a presoak in room temp tap water for 1 or 2 minutes. Pretty sure I also forgot to do my customary bang on the bottom of the tank after the inversions, although I can't imagine why air bubbles wouldn't affect both rolls in the tank evenly.

I'm guessing it's bromide drag, but I can't find any kind of consistent information about what could be causing it. Apparently developing chemistry in 2014 is still akin to alchemy because internet people like to spout any kind of arcane horseshit that they can string together to explain it.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

There's a lot of cracking around the sprocket holes so I guess stress makes sense.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

What am I gonna do when freestyle runs out of Arista?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Goodwill actually had something worthwhile in stock:

FD mount Vivitar 35-70 and Nikon 2x teleconverter for $10, FD mount Sears 135mm f2.8 for $6. I believe you could call me heavily invested in FD glass :smug:

Is there any way to convince an AF-S lens without aperture ring to stay open at widest aperture instead of closing down to the narrowest when I mount it on the tele?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

I *think* if you open it wide up on the a camera and then pull the lens off it'll stay at that aperture, but it might just be a canon thing.

Or i'm completely wrong, but try googling into that further!

The only thing Google has been helpful for so far is making me relatively certain that this is an off-brand teleconverter.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

dog nougat posted:

It turns out that my friend has an Epson Perfection 3170 and the film holders. It can scan film, so that's a plus. It's also ancient in terms of tech. I looked into it a bit and it seems that I can actually still run it in WIn 7. Is it even worth using this ancient and likely slow as gently caress scanner, or should I start saving my $$ for a V6/700.

Depends how much your friend wants for it? It's certainly good enough to upload stuff to show off on the internet.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Tony would like a go, so let's spread the Astiality around a bit.

Toxx is putting your account on the line - you fail to deliver and you eat a ban.

Genderfluid has spoken for the last two of the ones I mentioned last night. I didn't get to check my freezer last night (other things came up, and it's in a Snapware box way in the back) but let me see what I can do for ExecuDork and Ezekiel_980. Anyone else want to get in line?

Edit: New list! I have slightly over 50 rolls left, it turns out. One pack fell behind some of my other film in the freezer. 22 will go to you goons, plus one roll of 35mm.

TheJeffers: 3 :toxx:
Understanding: 2 :toxx:
The Meat Dimension: 2 :toxx:
Big Scary Monsters: 2 :toxx:
Dog Nougat: 3 :toxx:
Paul MaubDib: 2 (no Toxx... yet?)
Genderfluid: 2 (no Toxx... yet?)
Ezekiel_980: 1
ExecuDork: 1 (maybe :toxx:)
Tony Two Bapes: 1 (35mm) :toxx:
Daspope: 1 :toxx:

Three rolls left. Maybe one more in 35mm, to let the small-camera crew share the love some more. In the interest of getting as many people in as possible, I'm now handing out single rolls unless specifically asked otherwise. Maxmars, Shellman, Quantum of Phallus, do you want any?

I'll certainly shoot a roll of 120 if there's any left and in for the :toxx:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Just developed my first roll of Delta 400 in 35mm and it is no bullshit the least curly roll of 35mm I have developed to date. :feelsgood:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

a bicep?

V by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

On a scale from Impossible Project to Ilford, what is a reasonable expectation for this company's stuff?