Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Hood Ornament posted:

I'm doing well with my 6.6 gallon nano tank so far. At just over 3 weeks, my ammonia is finally at 0ppm, just waiting for everything else to follow. Lots of brown algae growth.

I don't think my LFS has live pods or such for Mandarins, is there a place to get them online? I'm really interested in keeping one, but so far everything I've read about them terrifies me.

I may be wrong here, as my SW knowledge is nowhere near as firm as my FW, but don't Mandarins need bigger tanks that a 6.6g? Did I miss a post somewhere where you stated you had a larger tank? Sorry if I simply missed some information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hood Ornament posted:

Here is my glorious, though blurry, 6.6 gallon nano tank:

I recognize that tank, and I must say I love it. That 6.6 gallon bowfront acrylic is a lot of fun to aquascape. I've only used it for FW planted, but my roommate and I have had it up and running for over four years now. Thanks to the low height, it's really easy to grow plants that need high light, and thanks to the small overall size, you can really juggle around small (and cheap) chunks of rock and driftwood. They make great Betta, Dwarf Puffer, or shrimp tanks. Ours currently has Galaxy Rasboras, Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and Ramshorn Snails in it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

strwrsxprt posted:

This question isn't restricted to saltwater, but I don't see a general aquarium mega thread so I'll just ask here. I'm considering getting a small tank, maybe just a 6 gallon to place on my desk. Would I be torturing whatever pour souls I put in there by placing them near my speakers that are frequently pumping music, movies, and video games?

When I had a 2.5g Betta tank on my desk, and when I upgraded to a 6.6g as my desk tank, the only fish that seemed to have issues with the music (possibly just the subwoofer vibrations), were my male and female Bettas. My current tank is far enough away from any source of sound that the fish appear completely unaffected.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Psimitry posted:

Good lord! I don't think your sandbed is deep enough! :)

That tank goes down another half in or so. The bottom is cut off in the last pic Hood Ornament posted.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hood Ornament posted:

I have a very small moonlight that I plan to upgrade, and the tank is actually in my office at work so I'm not there so often at night. :) I do like the little fella even without his anemones, but LiveAquaria did give me a full credit for him which I will gladly use on another purchase, probably more coral frags.

I never knew Pom Pom Crabs existed until now. That is a really neat adaptation.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I like 2, 3, and 4. 3 and 4 more than 2, if that helps you to narrow things down.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

VyperRDH posted:

I figured the protein skimmer wasn’t all that good. I will definitely buy the AquaC Remora. Here is a picture of the “rock” I was sold. It is very porous and already seems to have things growing on it.

That looks a LOT like what seems to commonly be called "Texas Hole Rock." No clue if it's any good or bad for SW setups.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

It does in the nuclear power plant beach biotope.

Will you be keeping the rare Three Eyed Clown Fish?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hypnotized posted:

I got several new frags today

Holy poo poo that is beautiful. Would you be kind enough to post a stock list (including corals), tank size, information about your filtration, and what lights you're running?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hypnotized posted:

Thanks Desert,

My tank is a 25G AGA tank with a standard 10G sump. I am running a 150W sunpod with a 14k bulb. For filtration I have an AquaC Urchin skimmer and a carbon reactor running in my sump. For water movement I use Vortech MP20. You can read more about my tank here
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179289

Here is another view of my tank where you can see the aquascaping better.

Thanks. I hope I can afford SW someday.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hypnotized posted:

I snapped a couple more pictures. Here is my Pom Pom crab and the new brain coral I just bought.

I love Pom-Pom Crabs. They're almost enough to make me want a small SW tank.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Do any salt water people keep Crown of Thorns?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Juice Box Hero posted:

The gigantic sea star?

e: A little googling leads me to believe there aren't many people who would keep this, it would be interesting if anyone here does.

Yeah, this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown-of-thorns_starfish

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

ludnix posted:

It would be ridiculously expensive to feed, I would be amazed to hear of someone keeping one outside of a research facility.

I found someone on Monster Fish Keepers who keeps one:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116411

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just messaged him asking about it, so hopefully we'll find out soon.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

How big is that tank? It looks really neat.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Oh man. Did this thread not get the warning about the recall on Marineland Stealth heaters?

Anyone using one, replace that fucker. SaNChEzZ got off easy, some people have whole tanks killed off. Petsmart was replacing them, not sure if they still are.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I don't even recommend anything smaller than starting with a 20 gallon for FW keepers. I can't imagine the time and trouble involved with keeping an 8g SW tank stable. It's like the SW equivalent of a loving Goldfish bowl.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If I remember right, the PetCo $1/g sale is for Perfecto brand tanks. I've yet to have a problem with my Perfecto 29g or 40b, but I know some people prefer Aqueon tanks as they are supposed to have marginally better build quality.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Henchman 21 posted:

If the protein skimmer is the way to go then I'll do that and look at reactors at a later date when my bank account rebounds, same for an auto top off and an RODI, I've been looking at The coral-life pure flow II, is this a good one? Also a recommendation on a skimmer would be dandy

You should move the RODI thingy up on your list. Buying it right away is cheaper and easier than buying RODI water and then buying an RODI thingy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Try asking in the fishing thread.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Malaysian Trumpet Snails can handle a specific gravity up to 1.024 and they do a great job of stirring the sand bed.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You said it was water proof? Why kill from outside just because you can? Seems like you'd end up with less safety and less accuracy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hypnotized posted:

My reef hit to years old this month.

Tanks like yours make me want to sell off all of my FW fish and equipment and spend way way too much to switch to SW. That is beautiful.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Fermunky posted:

My only gripe about it is the food floating too long before sinking, as a lot of it is sucked into my overflow. I just have to find a better location to correct this. I still feed manually by hand and only bought the feeder when I was out for Thanksgiving. I did notice if I drop food closer to my power head, I guess the flow of water drags the food under much quicker and also helps disperse the food quite nicely. I may also just need to find a better type of food for it maybe.

Have you considered having it drop into a feeding ring?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

When I realized the FW thread needed a reboot, I picked a few people from the thread who obviously knew their poo poo and made a Google document thingy. It turned out pretty drat well, so I think you guys are on the right track. Just make sure you have enough good people so it turns out well, even if someone leaves the project like I did because my life went to poo poo right after I started the project. I had 4 people working on it, SW is obviously more complicated, so you'll probably want a few more.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. I'm looking for an old article or forum post about a guy who found a 8-10 foot long bristle worm in his tank so I can show it to a friend, and despite somehow stumbling upon it a few times over the years, can't find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

Steve Weast's is the one that comes immediately to mind...
http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

edit: New page, added quote.

That's it! Tanks!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Rallos posted:

or use a diamond saw if you are rich.

What? LOL. Xacto makes some quality diamond saws on the cheap. And they are quality.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Rallos posted:

Are they wet saws? I couldn't find what you were talking about with a quick google search. When I said diamond saws are expensive I was referring to wet diamond band saws. Like This

Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of Razor Saws, my bad.

http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/tools-accessories/tools-accessories/Precision-Razor-Saw-Set.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Rallos posted:

The Ark in Merrillville usually has them. I bought 9 of them a couple weeks ago. If you're close to the loop you could bring me some $ and is be happy to get them for you as I live out that way. I work in the loop.

I'm not really into SW, but The Ark pretty much rocks, and Paul, the guy who does the SW stuff knows his poo poo. I mostly deal with John on the FW side of things.

• Locked thread