Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
In 2001, why do the Discovery crew go into the Pod room, have HAL turn the pod around so that they can get in, and the window is facing away from HAL, then get into the pod, and then turn it back to face him? That makes no sense! I know they didn't expect HAL to lip read, but from the point of the audience, if they'd not turned the Pod around for no discernible reason, HAL would never have known what was going on. I just can't see the explanation for it, especially when they make such a big deal about rotating the pods (the fact that by default the doors don't face the pilots seems stupid enough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Skwirl posted:

I'd be interest in reading this but I don't have archives. Could you, or someone else quote it?

Quoting with quotes is annoying.

http://i.imgur.com/VIIhEqR.png
http://i.imgur.com/IGNjIM1.png

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Egbert Souse posted:

A ton of early DVDs were old early 1990s transfers in wrong aspect ratios, bad authoring, and no extras. There are almost no DVDs from 1997-2000 that you'd still want on your shelf besides rarities like the theatrical cut of Amadeus. Although, I found American Graffiti to be unusually excellent for a 1998 DVD.

Compare to laserdisc, which generally meant original aspect ratio, high quality transfers, and uncompressed sound. And extras, as long as it wasn't Warner Home Video or Paramount, of course.

Ghostbusters must be pre-2000 going by the iMac I was playing it on, and that had amazingly overanimated menus (thrilling at the time, unbearable now), and the commentary and extras were considered top notch. I think that was one of the best early DVDs.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
People watch DVDs on 40"+ TVs all the time and it drives me insane. They look like a loving watercolour, HOW IS THIS PREFERABLE?!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mescal posted:

For some reason I'm fascinated by the boring topics of 1. the history of film formats and technology and 2. film preservation. Does anybody know about good sites (other than Wiki) to read about this stuff? Or documentaries about them, preferably on Netflix streaming?

Just PM Bugblatter and ask for his phone number.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Bug knows pretty much everything about film stock, lighting, etc on a historical level without losing sight of cinema as a medium (which is depressingly rare). He doesn't post much, I think I might have run him off the forums for not like Ghostbusters

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'M SORRY

echoplex fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 29, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
SO SORRY

echoplex fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 29, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

syscall girl posted:

I have a strange fondness for that number.

Unfortunately the only movie film titled 222 is not very engaging. Also it was a television series and could have been an apartment across from Sherlock Holme's home.

And if you google said number you will find a bunch of wack rear end numerologists.

WRONG THREAD, KILLING SELF IN SHAME

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Page 2.

(thanks for remembering me brother)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Can anyone recommend some films that focus on The Troubles in Northern Ireland circa 1970/80? I've got Shadow Dancer which is a bit more recent. Or anything of that period/location - could be a comedy or horror etc, so long as it looks a bit bleak and bombed out.

Fanks!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

There was a Jim Sturgess film a couple of years ago; can't recall the title. Not sure if Hunger has the look you want but that's amazing.

Fifty Dead Men Walking?

Amazon'd all the above, many thanks!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Final Cut for any number of reasons, but mainly so that you can see a film that looks as good as it is possible for a film to look. The treatment on that version is just beyond words.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Snak posted:

Most actors use their money to follow their dreams. For some of them, acting is their dream, so they still make lots of smaller/indie/art films. Others use the money they get from acting to pursue their other passions.

When I did a job with Sam Neill, he was a proper professional but it was politely clear that he very much wanted to get back to his vinyard. More power to him - he's living the dream (ish)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell. "More human than human" is our motto.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
e: done it again

echoplex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 23, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's also the opposite, where good CGI is effectively indistinguishable from reality and therefore people aren't aware of it. Which leads to the "all CGI is terrible and fake, practical effects just feel more real maaaan" feat of confirmation bias.

In conclusion: burn everyone

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

That is the distinction we are using. SFX is on set and in-camera, VFX is in post.

Same. SFX and VFX supervisors by that nature have very different but similar sounding roles. (kill all VFX supes)

e: out of interest, which dept's budget is your SFX coming out of? I'm seeing it bounced to Art Dept a lot lately and I don't feel that's right.

e2: the lines blur somewhat when you have SFX guys make breakaway tables and other props, but say pyro stuff - who do you extract that from?

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 26, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Snak posted:

I would think that an Art Director would want some sort of approval over SFX since you want SFX in your movie to not clash with the rest of the movie's art style... But I'm out of my depth here and know nothing about the machinations of authority in things like this.

For me it's one of the continual grey areas of accountability, second only to the fight of Costume and Art Dept bouncing responsibilities for certain items off each other.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Snak posted:

Of course all departments should be working together to make a consistent and coherent film

:lol:

Here's a related one that always gets me: camera dept always throw a hissy about prac lamps on set and insist that the art department buy the bulbs for them, that they specifically order in terms of wattage. Then get upset when we take them back at the end of the shoot because they want to use them on their next shoot? It's a small expense but it's such a petty thing to do. They're light bulbs, you loving buy them! (cunts). They're also the #1 thief of any tools on set.

If there was a way to make films without camera crew, it'd be a much better world.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 26, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Skwirl posted:

I think the term for that is "a play."

PLAYS FOR ALL

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Re: unreliable narration, I always liked the idea that Life Aquatic was actually the story that a drunk/sad Zissou was telling you many years after the fact (there isn't much to support that but I still like it)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

NGL posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me ever since I saw Star Trek Into Darkness:

What's the correct pronunciation of Orci?

If that's the only question you took from that film then I envy your sense of inner peace

Turtlicious posted:

What do directors do

Behave like unreasonable children, mostly.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It doesn't straight roll, you see it turn

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

FrostedButts posted:

Peter Jackson films are waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

marktheando posted:

As well as everything else mentioned, Boba Fett used to have a cool voice, before Lucas changed it for no reason.

I remember laughing out loud when I first heard the redub. Oh George.