Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s a bunch of actors chewing up the scenery in a single room.

It’s not boring, but it’s 90% dialogue except for when someone’s insides get thrown up or another person’s head explodes. And it’s strongly implied someone gets shot in the dick. And none of this is a spoiler because that describes most QT movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

The dialogue is really stilted and odd and repetitive. I understand that was obviously what tarantino was going for but I still don't know why.

It feels like a play. I love plays so that helped gloss over the absolute beating they gave Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Edgy high schoolers in 2026 will put on Hateful Eight plays for the Drama Club.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Edgier high schoolers will do a genderswapped version

Make it a barefoot version and Tarantino will be in the front row opening night.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Disney hired a writer/director who was convicted of molesting a 12 year old actor on a prior movie set.

Making movies must be real hard if you can do horrible things and still get jobs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Hey, be fair, all the men you're talking about were white. And men

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves here. Nate Parker did some bad poo poo and he was Black. Hopefully Hollywood embraces terrible men of all races and creeds when overlooking women for director jobs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think the money was supposed to be routed through his kids. I don’t believe OJ was getting it directly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

anticake posted:

OJ was also found innocent by a jury though? Son of Sam was not. He wrote a tell all book after he was convicted and serving time. Totally different in the eyes of the law. Like we all know OJ killed them two people but well welcome to trial by jury :shrug:

The OJ thing was more about his civil suit judgement. He can sell knives on TV, all the while winking at the camera. But every penny he earns is garnished. "If I Did It" was meant to cycle profits through his kids - which could be altruistic or could be a way to launder money. So there were a lot of things wrong with that mess.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A local morning show back in the 1990's had the lead singer from .38 Special on and brought up a The Offspring song that sounded a lot like a .38 Special number. Like listening to them back to back it sounds almost identical. The guy took it alright and went into some detail about what's considered copyright and what isn't. Like you can sound the same as long as you don't have too many consecutive notes. So it's entirely possible to write a song that 'sounds like' an existing number, but isn't close enough to trigger a lawsuit. But it's a thin line and Thicke/Farrell and Ray Parker Jr. crossed it.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 5, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the person who is cool with Malcolm X except for the part where a black man kisses a white woman.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is a rare example of Black backlash rather than butt hurt White people.

But the speed by which interracial relationships became normal in the media is remarkable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Movies are the length they are in part because 90 minutes is an optimal duration to cram in the maximum number of theater showtimes each day. When Titanic came out they claimed it wouldn’t make money because theaters couldn’t squeeze in enough showtimes. Anything over 2 hours makes theater chains uneasy.

TV is probably something to do with attention spans and advertising. They clung so tightly to the top and bottom of the hour format that TBS made some hay by starting their shows five minutes later. That meant someone watching TBS started any other shows on another station late and people channel surfing while watching other channels might break in right at the beginning of a TBS show.

But the answer is still mostly advertising. That’s why SNL is 90 minutes when they barely have 60 minutes of material.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Except now every single comic book movie is over 2 hours long.

Theaters have more screens now and finally embraced the longer formats. They also cram in far more 3-D shows in the first two weeks to force people to pay $3 extra per ticket even if they don’t want to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Intermissions only work with movies that don't sell out theaters or if you have assigned seats. Can you imagine the mess of getting a decent seat and then trying to find another decent seat for the second half of opening weekend on a tent-pole movie?

Sucrose posted:

What's the best way to guess if a movie has turned a profit or not? Is it still "if it matches or exceeds its budget cost in domestic box office revenue" or is that outdated?

Like's been said, it's weird and getting weirder. Like normally you have the box office where studios get an outsized chunk of each ticket sale for the opening weeks but then progressively less after that. Then you have foreign overseas, which is as big a market as domestic, but you don't get as much from each ticket sale. Finally there are retail/digital rentals and sales and eventually TV licensing deals.

But then you get movies or TV shows made by upper tier directors/actors for streaming services. Stranger Things or Bright will never stream anywhere except Netflix and will never sell a box office ticket. So the actors/directors get lots more up front money, which is why some of these movies and TV series have surprisingly large budgets.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Guess it's not tent-pole but there weren't any problems when I saw The Hateful Eight opening weekend.

No. Between the running time, the content, and the fact you'd travel a hour away to see it in 70mm only to have the 70mm break then wait for a few hours for them to get the digital copy running...there was no problem at all finding seats for the Hateful Eight.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The scales are always bananas because production costs don't usually include marketing, which can easily cost tens of millions even for a moderately budgeted picture. One of the reasons Thursday nights became so big for TV networks is all the advertising for movies premiering on Friday.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
loving My Girl.

morestuff posted:

The ending of Time Bandits made me physically ill as a child

I can’t remember the exact ending but the concentrated evil killing his parents, however awful they may have been, always screwed with me.

Also the macabre game show where the old lady couldn’t answer the question and her husband drowned upside down in quicksand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Yeah, this bit. I haven't seen it since then so if they deserved it, I've forgotten that part

Did you really spoiler me on Time Bandits?

They were endemic of what was wrong in that world in that they liked watching game shows where people died, fought all the time, and ignored their son. But they didn’t deserve that fate and it’s obvious their son loved them, which made the ending that much worse.

The movie had great visuals though. For years I really thought Napoleon had a gold hand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

Are there any movies set in multiple time periods that change their filming techniques to match what was appropriate for the time period?

I recently watched The Long Goodbye and the supplementary materials talked at length about how the film in that movie was purposely overexposed to give it a more old Hollywood look.

Also, is it even possible to re-create older filming techniques, or is the combination of vintage film stock, equipment, and developing techniques make this impossible or nearly impossible?

I always wondered how Coppola’s Outsiders made the scenes of Ponyboy and Johnny at the old church look so much like classic Hollywood films. Ends up it’s filmed in a studio with whatever worked for green screens back then.

The unique look of a lot of movies or dramatic TV shows is because they’re filmed on a set instead of an actual location and the cinematographer is controlling every aspect of lighting and shadow with a single camera.

It might have been in this thread, but I think there was a Monty Python episode where they made fun of the different filming techniques for indoor and outdoor shots.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mean Streets.

Pretty much anything Scorsese.

Serpico is a good representation of NYC cops.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The best part about NYC movies in the 70's and 80's is that the writers and directors obviously love their city and think it's the greatest metropolis in the world and they still make it look loving horrifying.

See also: every movie about Baltimore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Okay, I'll bite because I'm considering moving back there from Madison in my post-divorce mania: What movies are there about Baltimore?

Barry Levinson had a bunch of movies about the city like Diner and Tin Men.

The Shape of Water was set in Balitmore, but that's more about fish loving and we all know true Baltimorians love crabs.

Almost Blue posted:

Pretty much every John Waters movie. Silence of the Lambs maybe? I know Red Dragon (the book) is partially in Baltimore at least.

Silence of the Lambs is where I learned Baltimore can be quiet a fun town if you have the right guide.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Almost Blue posted:

It's not the first time it happened and it sure wasn't the last, but it's frankly astounding that the MPAA's problem is with the color red and not the depiction of blood.

"Red blood? That's an X. Dark brown blood? Totally fine."

I was watching Ms.45 and the blood there is a terrible shade of orange.

So wait, that was a MPAA thing? Like the main character getting raped multiple times and then going on a man-hating killing spree was okay - but whoa whoa let's make the blood look like carrot juice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pushpins posted:

Did/Do women want to gently caress Michael Douglas as bad as Hollywood would lead you to believe?

I’m trying to think of a recent actor who appeared in as many “mom and dad are going to the movies and gently caress afterwards” films and I’m drawing a blank.

Dude was a movie genre in and of himself.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Denzel Washington.

That makes sense. I think I have benefited from a Denzel movie or two.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Judging by the Equalizer 2 crowd, he’s still got it. Based on Ant-Man and the Wasp, Michael Douglas not so much.

Michael Douglas has got 10 years on Denzel Washington. He’s not a sex symbol anymore, but in the 80’s and 90’s you couldn’t turn around without bumping into Douglas starring in a cautionary tale of sex and betrayal.

I need to watch Disclosure again. If I’m remember correctly the sex was a backdrop to hard drive manufacturing drama.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Fair point about the age gap. And, yeah, I grew up with Romancing the Stone and that era of Michael Douglas. He was to the 80s what some Chris is now.

It takes 3 Chris' to make one Michael Douglas. That's how big a star he was.

poo poo, can you imagine Captain America or Thor trying to pull off a Basic Instinct.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Imagining Chris Evans in any sort of sexual situation is hilarious.

Leather jacket, chin strap...it's actually not tough.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

I think it was CD-ROM drives, but geez, definitely feels like a movie you couldn't really make today.

Dennis Miller as a techbro was worth the price of admission.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

The Color of Money

The Color of Money is probably the best example since The Hustler had an older established actor (Gleason) with the hot new actor (Newman) and then Color of Money had the older established actor (Newman) with the hot new actor (Cruise). So now all we need is Cruise in a 3rd movie with whatever passes for the hottest new actor (comedy Shia LaBeouf option).

Also most people who watch Color of Money probably have no idea there even was another movie, which is about as overdue and obscure as you can get for a sequel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

I remembered hearing about Fatty Arbuckle having a cameo after his "scandal": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(1923_film)
And turns out: "The film has become famous as having featured cameos of more than thirty famous Hollywood stars. However, the film is now considered a lost film." Odds are this is not the first example, but 1923 is good to start with, no?

Edit: I just realized that Silent Movie ('76) is probably an ode to that type of movie, because beyond being silent it has a lot of cameos.

The Player was just cameos. So were the Cannonball run movies. And both had Burt Reynolds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Double exposure. The Criterion releases of Chaplin's films include short pieces about the effects and locations. He used more camera tricks than you'd expect, especially on The Gold Rush since most of it was shot in the studio.

Conversely, it's the 1920's and Chaplin so it's just as likely he really almost died.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just finished the book and it provides no extra insight into that scene.

But more or less, they didn’t find it and were waiting for Moss to come back. They did find his gun under the mattress, but it didn’t occur to them to check the vent.

The movie is far more clear on how the Mexicans find Moss at the end. In the book Moss’ death is as anti-climax as in the movie, but it doesn’t say how they found him without a transponder. The film has that scene where the assassin talks to the mother-in-law about where she’s going.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Detective Thompson posted:

The book does explain it. There's a short scene at the end of the chapter VII, right after when Carla Jean calls Bell, where one of the Mexicans has just finished listening to the phone call and that's how they get the address where Moss is. He hands it off to the man in the black Barracuda who then goes and finds them.

Well poo poo. I was listening to the audiobook and I think something was distracting me at about that time. I do recall the Barracuda but I must have been lacking in my comprehension.

Also to anyone reading the book the ending has a different take on Chigur that I really didn’t expect. Not a huge change, but more of a WTF scene.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

I guess maybe it would be the interview Bell has with the high school kid but I can't recall it's meaning aside from reinforcing that Bell is overmatched.

No, it was Chigur bringing the money back to the top guy and applying for a full time job.

Guess he was tired of being an independent contractor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FeastForCows posted:

Any more examples of actors/actresses with names that sound more like a character rather than a real name, like Moon Bloodgood?

Tom Cruise.

Although his last name is actually Mapother IV? WTF?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Woody Allen sounds one of those games where you make up your creepy sex personae name by combining two different categories.

Ends up his first name is Heywood, which is honestly the coolest thing I've heard about Woody Allen in 30 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The name does have something to do with heavy tools though.

quote:

Hammer said that his father had named him after a character, Armand Duval, in La Dame aux Camélias, a novel by Alexandre Dumas, fils. According to other sources, Hammer was named after the "arm and hammer" graphic symbol of the Socialist Labor Party of America (SLP), in which his father had a leadership role.[9] (After the Russian Revolution, a part of the SLP under Julius' leadership split off to become a founding element of the Communist Party USA.) Later in his life, Hammer confirmed that this was the origin of his given name.[1]

So the great-grandfather's name name is quiet literally Arm & Hammer, just not the baking soda one. Also Armie Hammer got grief from his family for aspiring to be something as lowbrow as a movie actor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

the_tasman_series posted:

Maybe ‘moral tale’ isn’t the exact right words. I was more thinking of a systematic/structured/not-too-subtle approach to theme. Parable seems like it fits. Allegory’s in the ballpark. Didactic seems related, but it does seem like didactic implies one-dimensionality.

Yeah, A Serious Man seems to fit even better than Fargo for the type of movie I’m talking about.

The Fargo TV series seems to be in a similar vein. To the extent that the 3rd season follows the structure of the fable 'Peter and the Wolf'. There's definitely a folk tale quality to the Fargo universe so morality and bad decisions play a strong role in the plot lines. I'm not sure it's a morality play so to speak, but it's something akin to that.

If you liked Fargo then you'd probably enjoy the TV show. It's only tangentially related to the movie to the extent that none of the same characters are in the show but the ice scraper and bag of money makes an appearance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Bet you never wanted to eat ice cream again for a bit. Looking forward(?) to Chris Rock in season 4.

Cool, I hadn't realized they announced anything on season 4. It was up in the air if there was going to be one.

1950's though? So this will be the first season without Mr. Wrench, who up until now has been the only character to be in all 3 seasons.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Raising Arizona will always have a special place in my heart, sure sure.

But Hudsucker Proxy is their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

That's the beauty of it

You know, for kids.

It also had the best cast by virtue of Paul Newman alone.

Looking forward to The Ballad of Buster Scruggs in a couple of weeks.