Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

effectual posted:

Edit: found the kneecap, it was from "Once upon a time in mexico". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZbK72VLFA Brutal.

Wow. If the dialogue isn't bad enough... The VFX are horrendous and he shoots three shots out of a gun that holds two.

Robert Rodriguez quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Mescal posted:

Thanks.

Can anybody link me to an insiders perspective/expose of "Hollywood accounting?" That stuff sounds interesting.

Read any, ANY, book on accounting. It's the same thing.

People make a big fuss because it's Hollywood, and movies, and whatever, but the practices are the same as ANY OTHER BUSINESS.

It just doesn't grab as big headlines when it's "Welding Accounting"

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

With digital, they can still rent, but it's vastly easier with digital files. Jaws will always be Universal's pristine 4K master instead of a faded 1970s print. When I saw Lawrence of Arabia back in October, the 4K projection was beyond amazing. It's really good for classics if more theaters would get into showing them. Now it's cheaper and easier, so there's just a matter of interest.

Problem is that they can rent, but they generally aren't. They're taking a lot of titles out of circulation that way and it's just terrible.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

Django had a cameo in Django Unchained so that's 46 years (1966-2012).

Franco Nero is not playing Django in Django Unchained, though.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It could be this or it could be DVD leading to an increase in making movies digitally instead of on film.

DVD had nothing to do with that.

DVD allowed the shift from movies being holy and held in a temple (so to speak) of the actual theater, to something you throw on while cleaning the house and ignore while going through emails. DVD made a movie something you pick up while in the checkout line, not something you seek out.

(And before anybody says that VHS had anything to do with this, just remember - VHS looked and sounded lovely, and until the rental lawsuits, cost around $100 in 1985 dollars. While it did take people out of theaters, at least they loving paid attention)

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

qntm posted:

When measuring time in a movie, how long is a "reel"?

About 20 minutes.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

So when a movie has no opening credits, they get in trouble with the Unions. UNLESS the last thing they do is to put the title card last (Miami Vice, Children of Men do this off the top of my head) basically making everything a pre-title sequence.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

Fun fact on product placement; Beer companies are typically very uptight about being featured in a movie if a character is just pounding them to pound them or goes and does something stupid/dangerous/horrible while drunk. When the went to make Hellboy no beer company was willing to be Satan's child's beer of choice for his benders except Tecate who were just thrilled to be in a movie.

They are. They require the actors who drink the beer to be over the age of 25 in real life (good luck getting those real ages) so that there is 100% no confusion over whether their product is being consumed underage.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Theoretically they could do this with a lot of high school movies, in that case.

The character has to be above age as well. They want there to be no confusion, so the actor has to be well above age.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

They're still drinking Corona in Furious 6 :)

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Snak posted:

That's really funny. Although it's really obvious that the Red State itself is the protagonist. The movie is literally about the two sides of the conservative agenda clashing violently with america's youth caught in the middle.

I honestly don't believe that much thought was put into it.

You have to remember this is a film that's ending is the main conflict stopping, then cutting to somebody telling a story about some stuff that happened off screen.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He might be thinking of Cineradiography. That's capturing moving images with a camera and a fluoroscope. I wouldn't be surprised if filmmakers had messed around with fluoroscopes in the early days of film before the deadly effects of long-term x-ray exposure where known.

I've got a hunch that they were talking about infrared photography and just kinda took one step too far.

Just a guess tho

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Hollywood accounting. Basically movies always cost more than they report they do and they never make as much as it's reported they do. They do of course, but when you have countless people getting points and backends it's in the studio's best interest to make sure that whatever happens, the movie turns in a very small profit. Cue that document that 'proves' that one of the Harry Potter movies made exactly $0.00.

It was also the source of disupte between Peter Jackson and New Line. New Line talk for years about how succesful Lord of the Rings was, and then when it's time to pay Peter Jackson decide that as it so happens, they really didn't turn a profit after all.

It's also called: Normal Accounting.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Guy who works for movie studio downplays shady poo poo movie studios do, to the surprise of everyone.

I wish I worked for a movie studio.

But to elaborate - the term "Hollywood Accounting" came from an entertainment reporter who never had looked at a balance sheet. I'm sure that even the iPhone is an on-paper loser for Apple so they can claim tax deductions/credits/etc. It's a term that bloggers love to throw around because it makes them seem more of an insider, but there's no special techniques or tricks that any other corporation isn't.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

therattle posted:

The difference is the number of third-party participants. Come on, you know this stuff.

The music industry is probably similar.

therattle posted:

The difference is the number of third-party participants. Come on, you know this stuff.

The music industry is probably similar.

I think you're discounting how many outside participants in other industries. Yes, music is rife with it, but so is tech and probably a ton of other ones.

It's funny the Freakazoid clip got posted, it's such an heirloom of its time. A lot of kids step off the bus thinking they know this little insider tip, when nobody's gotten a deal like that in well over a decade besides the biggest of the big.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Residuals are determined by the union negotiations.

If you're a huge, huge, huge name in the industry or held a hot commodity you could negotiate points (gross or net) in addition. However as the money pool continues to shrink, the chances of this are less likely. They're practically non-existent today, already.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

harpomarxist posted:

But i'm wondering if anyone has examples of modern films/shorts that have been shot using VHS that aren't either nostalgic in a obvious way

Uzi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XppTurYFcro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZBgwUTnDA

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Everblight posted:

There are so few roles for Indians and other asians Aziz Ansari had to cast his own parents to play his parents. They aren't even actors, they were just the only brown people over 30 he could find.

Not really what he's said on the matter...

"There's not a ton of older Indian people that are out there in the acting game, so I wrote these characters kind of based on my parents, and I couldn't find anyone who really felt like my parents, so I just got my parents to do it," Ansari tells PEOPLE. "They did a fantastic job."

http://www.people.com/article/aziz-ansari-master-none-netflix-parents-first-look

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Two minor questions:

1. Do studios need to ask permission to use a car brand from the manufacturer? I imagine the brand owner would love James Bond to drive their car, but what if the car were portrayed as unreliable or driven by an evil character. Could Pontiac have stopped Breaking Bad from using the Aztek?

If you're using a product as it is to be intended then you can legally use it free-and-clear. Once you get past that (driving drunk, running down people, etc) then they have to worry about logos.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

dokmo posted:

I was watching some low budget thrillers from the 70s and noticed that they were filmed without sound, dialogue and sound effects being added later. This was I believe very common. But similar movies made today all seem to have sound recorded as they were filming. When did this change and why? If budget constraints made live sounds unfeasible in the 70s, what changed since then? Some kind of technical innovation? Or am I mistaken in thinking that low budget movies are recorded with sound today, and that ADR techniques have just improved greatly?

A lot of those movies were made in Italy and to cater to foreign markets they were recorded completely without sound - even Italian versions are completely dubbed over. They pulled a lot of American actors so it was common to think that it was an American film at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sync audio for a low-budget filmmaker in the 70s would've been a huge pain in the rear end ordeal involving reel-to-reel tapes, boom mics, and prayer (if you haven't seen Blow Out, please do so). Audio tech has gotten a LOT better since, especially with the advent of digital recorders and cheaper wireless mics, but there's still tons of ADR that goes on. I don't remember the number but from what I've heard the percentage of dialogue that you hear in a movie that's ADR is surprisingly high, even/especially on big budget movies.

It's about 75% in some cases.

Also in the 70s it was as simple as it was now. A recorder, some reels, a mic, and a guy to hold it. Easy. Sound could be muddy as hell but as long as you could make out the words you're fine.