Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just started using Maya, I'm on day 3 and have been following video tutorials and modeling some basic stuff to get a feel for the tools. One thing I'm wondering is if you've deleted a polygon's face, how do you delete the edge? Maya says it can't delete border edges, so do I have to just leave the edge there? Doesn't that screw with how the model looks when it gets smoothed (by pressing 3)?

I'm a total noob at this, so I appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've been using Maya for about a month, for approx 5 hours a day on weekdays. So far I've created a bunch of stuff, most of it mediocre. Here's the best stuff so far:

The face is what I'm working on right now, creating it from reference images and trying to adhere to proper topology.
I still don't know much about UV maps or creating textures so the car is just done with surfaces. I hear Mudbox has a PTEX painting system so that sounds very interesting. What do people use to create good UVs in Maya? I hear it's a real hassle.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Awesome stuff. What are the rigs like for characters and creatures in DS games? Do they make a lot of controls for the animators to work with or just rely on moving joints around manually since it's so low-resolution?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently it was DD's CEO John Textor that was the main cause of the Florida branch's failure, at least according to Cartoon Brew, who has been keeping updates on his mismanagement for a while now.

Sucks that VFX is such a volatile industry. It's needed everywhere in the film business, but I guess it's unstable because they're not unionized and need to keep very competitive?
Is animation really more stable? That's the field I want to get into, and I know it involves long hours, but it'd be heartening to hear that it's a bit more predictable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looks like DD is completely dead, the whole thing, as opposed to just the Florida studio. http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/11/technology/digital-domain-bankrupt/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Really sucks for all their employees. :(

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Of course DD was the company trying to get animation students to pay to work on their films, so I can't say I'm heartbroken to hear of their demise.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this might seem like a stupid question, but here goes:

I'm making a short film in Maya. I have the scene in one file and the rigged character in another. How do I get the rigged character into the scene? Do I just copy and paste? The seems a little risky, because sometimes copying something from another file messes around with the order of things in the Outliner. Is there some other way to import a rigged character into a scene?

Thanks in advance!

Edit- Also, how many polygons is too many for a scene in Maya? I'm looking at possibly around a million all together. Is that too much?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks a bunch for the help guys! :)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Holy balls, that procedural environment thing looks amazing. Goddamn.

On a different note, does anyone have tips for how to skin a wrist in Maya so that the deformations look correct when the hand rotates up and down? Should I place some influence objects there to stop it from doing that? Or make a set-driven key? Or resort to blendshapes? Right now when I bend the wrist closer to 90 degrees up or down the volume implodes and looks awful.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

concerned mom posted:

I downloaded Maya today to learn the basics as I only know Max and thought it would broaden my skill-set.

I didn't expect it to insult me!

I'm following the tips on the Startup window, but does anyone have any resource for people learning Maya who have decent experience with Max?

Here's the tutorials I first used to get a basic grasp on Maya:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3E8C00791AEC3F8

And here's another set of tutorials from a Danish guy that are pretty useful. His rigging tutorial is hard to follow though cause he makes a few mistakes.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PolyFacecom/videos?view=0

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Most of the really amazing stuff I see sculpted is done with ZBrush. They've also got much more presence on the web than Mudbox work. I've used both, and Zbrush definitely has Mudbox beat for features, and produces better normal maps. Also the plugins like UV Master are amazing.

I'd also be interested in seeing that "book creation" with Houdini thing. I use Maya and might have to do something like that one day, so it'd be helpful to know how.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So for a short film I'm working on in Maya I have a character who is going to pick up a mask and wear it around. Should I put a joint in the mask and then attach it to the rest of the rig once the character puts the mask on? Or should I do something else? Is it possible to key joints so at one point something is attached to a rig and at another point it's not?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Digital Tutors has a pretty good looking tutorial for this kind of stuff.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=523

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sup guys, ran into a bit of a snag with something I'm working on and could use input:
I modeled a character with bad elbow topology because apparently I followed a kind of lovely tutorial, and now he's rigged and animated and weird things are happening with the elbow. Can I change the topology on the model and keep the rigging and animation intact? Or did I really screw myself over.
I'm using Maya, btw.

Here's one of the lovely things happening with the elbow:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Got another question for any people practiced with Maya and mental ray:

I'm trying to use physical sun and sky with an image background, but when I create a sphere to put the background on it blocks all the light from the sun and sky and makes everything dark.

I tried just using normal lights but I can't really get the effect I'm looking for and physical sun/sky looks like a way to get to a good starting point quickly that I can then tweak.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That film the guys at Portsmouth are working on is interesting. I like some of the stuff, including the character designs and the lighting. The facial mo-cap is freaking me out though, I'm getting the zombie Zemekis movie vibe. Are the bodies done with keyframe animation or motion capture? It seems there's noise in the motion that could be smoothed out.

But it's cool that you can take captured motion and apply it to rigged characters and tweak it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When you use the "Clean Mesh" tool just tell it to highlight the parts of the mesh where there are problems, and not try to fix it on its own. That way you can see what's actually going wrong and fix it.

Make sure you have "backface culling" turned on so you can see if the geometry is doubling on the other side of the mesh for some reason.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Do you guys need an intern for the summer? I'm itching to get some experience in a studio environment and if you need qualified people who will work hard I'm down. What programs do you use? I'm most familiar with Maya.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm wondering if any of you guys know of a good way to render toon lines in Maya, rendering with mental ray. Paint FX don't work there, and the offset mesh option looks weird. I've tried using contours, but those also tend to do a bad job.

Tips on specific settings for the contours that produce good results, or knowhow of another way to get that look in mental ray would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mutata posted:

So the hacky method I've used and seen used elsewhere is to duplicate the geometry, move the vertices along their normals so you create a shell around your model, inverti the face normals, and apply a black material to this new shell geometry. This might work depending on how much control you want. If this doesn't make sense, ill do a guide tomorrow.

That sounds promising. Does that work for an animated character though?

If that doesn't work I might just use contours and increase the sampling to ridiculous levels, and change the settings on a shot-by-shot basis.
Currently I'm also running into rigging problems with shoulders though I'm trying to figure how more complex pose-space-deformers work so I can fix things.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is this for a static design or an animation or film?

I've got experience with the latter. With the former I'd try maybe writing down your ideas instead of just drawing them. Or do both. I don't know if design has the equivalent of an animatic, but those are really useful in film projects.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That bit about project management is awesome! Post-it notes detailing each task, what an awesome idea. I gotta buy some with my discount while I still work at an office store.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Geared Hub posted:

Hmm can't help you there, everything I've done is fake fake fake to make it look right, that's movie magic :)

Speaking of which, Pixelmondo just laid off a bunch of people, never seen the film VFX/animation industry this bad since I can remember. Hopefully things pick up in June or there's going to be problems.

When I was at R+H a few years ago, it was common for studios to drag their feet on contract awards to the point where the vfx vendor was already working on shots based on a verbal agreement where the studio doesn't even cut the deposit check until a few months into production but theres no way vfx vendors can afford to do that now. The big studios is notorious for dragging out payments as long as they can.

Is it specifically bad just in California or is there a major downturn for VFX everywhere in North America?
Sorry to hear about the tough times. VFX has had a rough year.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The concept isn't very good (muddy colors, bad lighting, unevenly applied texture) but it does get across an idea, which is of a very narrow, dirty alley in a city on the verge of collapse. It looks dank and stinky and dangerous, especially because of the radioactive panel on that door. Maybe that green stuff on the street is radioactive waste.

Meanwhile, the final render, though I actually don't think it looks that bad (though compositing more passes of occlusion and normals would help) doesn't get across the idea of the concept. It just looks like a normal alley in a city, suffering from a little urban decay. So I would try to work on really capturing the idea of the concept when you model, texture, and light, figuring out what mood you should go for. That mood will then carry over to parts of the scene that you can't see in the concept, because you'll have that idea in your mind as you work.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Are there any CG forums out there that give really good critiques? I'm gonna be in an animation program next year and while I'm hoping the critiques I get there will be helpful, I want to get my work critiqued online at the same time so I'm sure I'm actually improving.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Mudbox is really simple especially if you have experience with Maya. The newest version has retopology tools though which is cool, and makes it more useful.

ZBrush is the industry standard though. Here's an overview of how Zbrush was used in the production of Wreck It Ralph: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?178524-Wreck-it-ralph!!!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cromunist posted:

I tried doing that, but it was still taking forever (as opposed to jesus loving christ god drat this is taking forever, which was before I tried that). Unless I'm doing something else that's bad and unnecessary and causing slowdown, which is completely possible, I have accepted that I'll have to figure out how to queue renders and just leave it alone for a while or something.

Are you using the linear workflow for lighting? That can help make your lighting better and make color correction in after effects easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5kDcehYXA&list=FL-xFdY0-lnQVModpGJ20yhg

Also creating a physical sun/sky can save a lot of time depending on the place you're trying to render (better for exterior shots obviously). For a scene I was doing I played around with area and directional lights for a while, but physical sun/sky resulted in a much better looking render. Once it had been adjusted a bit.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

Mudbox sculpt. No reference. I'm completely self taught, so if anyone can tell me what to improve, it would be appreciated.

It's a little creepy that his eye area has the same texture on it as his skin. But I'm guessing you'd fix that when finishing it.
The eyes should be a little bigger, the mouth should probably be up a little bit. The mouth right now just looks like a crease in the skin, because you need to have the sides of the lips touching. Lips are difficult because they fold out from the edges so that they point forward a bit, where on the edges they fold back in. So you need to "roll" the surface out to create that effect.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For lips in mudbox just use the default sculpt brush to lay down material, then use the grab tool and the pinch tool to movie things to the proper place. Also use the freeze brush or masking so you can work on the top and bottom separately.

Here's an example using Zbrush. The basics are the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VdA6LP3CG4

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 8, 2013

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Trintintin posted:

How do those BOF things work? I've never actually been to one. Is it just like a bunch of dudes hanging out shooting the poo poo or is it like more specialized talks. Also for those interested, Framestore (like Pixar) is doing applications on their website for Siggraph interviews. Sign up for one here: http://tinyurl.com/n5wlxgf

Having to write cover letters for potential interviews at Siggraph is weird.

Edit:

The student film I worked on last year finally went public yay! https://vimeo.com/69668528

Cool, I saw this advertised on CGMeetUp. Looks quite professional, though the ground textures are bothering me a bit because they're too regular. I'll have to watch the whole thing when I get a better internet connection!

I finished a short film myself recently, trying to make CG with an anime vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAvo3nG07pY
Honestly I don't think Maya can do that very well, at least not with its default shaders. The only place I've seen it done that actually captures the spirit of anime is in the film 009: ReCyborg. But it was an interesting project to work on. Wish I had experimented with a bit more dynamic action scenes though, but that's mostly a result of my storyboarding needing practice.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have a question for people in the industry. The school I go to, which is well regarded for animation, is changing their character animation program around next year to focus on training TDs. They say it's because that's the way the industry is going, and TDs are more in demand than animators. I'm wondering if this is true or if they're just facing too much competition from places like Animation Mentor and don't want to admit it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm okay. What kind of things do you need to know to be a TD? I'm guessing python is a must, and rigging knowledge. Is Houdini also needed?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So question, this animator has been going on rants about how the Frozen designs are bad. Sure, I buy that, and it's all a matter of opinion anyway. But then they said this: http://typette.tumblr.com/post/63657239682/so-people-wanted-my-input-on-the-matter-i-dont

quote:

"When the other Snow Queen that’s coming out, and movies like Sintel and Blue Sky’s Epic have more progressive and modern modeling techniques… Frozen doesn’t. The massive eyes and the really horrible mouth/nose topology made my eyes bleed just a little eentsy bit"

here are my repaints of what I think the Frozen girls could look like if they put a little effort into weighting their models properly, and maybe taking a more realistic, little more mature, a little unique(Elsa has a long face and Anna has a big nose- relatively of course) and… OKAY I admit it…. less rapunzel-y approach. Honestly, though, if you make films you need to evolve, don’t be like Pixar and use topology and modeling workflow from 1997 on movies like Brave. (seriously? merida’s face. what even is)"

So...what are they talking about? I've done face rigging and it seems to me that Disney and Pixar use very cutting edge techniques. This person seems to be mistaking artistic choices for lapses in technical know-how. What are these rigging workflow differences between Disney and Blue Sky?
Also I'm wondering what the topology differences are. Are they referring to using displacement maps instead of modeling something in, or what?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They should stop trying to talk like a TD if they don't know what they're talking about.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

"Oh no they have nasal labial folds! BAD TOPOLOGY. SO 90s!"

Geez. When I did facial rigging we specifically put joints on that part of the model so we could create those creases when the characters smiled, so it looks more natural. It creates an easily readable expression that's good for cartoony animation. Sure, you can reduce that if you're doing something in the "Epic" style where the characters are on the more realistic side of things (tending into the uncanny valley a bit) but even they have some of that because it's an anatomical feature, and to argue that it's bad topology and weighting, as opposed to a stylistic choice...

Urg.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

More views of the head would be cool, I can't get a good sense of it's shape in 3D. I'm guessing some talons will go on the feet. If you're looking for reference or inspiration at all someone did this really cool model: http://konartist3d.deviantart.com/art/Vultureman-Redesign-WIP2-152641214

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's no way to recover files on a crashed SSD? I found this website but you probably already looked for ways to fix the problem. http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/other-recovery-software/SSD-drive-recovery.htm

Anyway sucks you couldn't recover your work. That's some really cool detail, I love the inlaid gold pieces.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Squash and stretch stuff is usually pretty fun. You could show how to set up a set driven key with a squash deformer so that the character can get pretty crazy shapes. Also linking nodes to create stretchy arms and legs, and how spline IKs can be great for moving tails and tentacles. And the new heatmap skinning feature in Maya does a pretty awesome job, so you can show how much easier skinning has gotten.
But yeah, rigging is kinda painful and confusing. I know I tend to zone out when being lectured on it. It's only when I go back and rewatch the videos and do the exercise step by step on my own time that I can really understand and appreciate what's being done. Then after a few times it sinks into the brain.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm I think Bill's nose is actually a bit shorter than in your sculpt. And if you move the nose up the mouth should probably be moved up too. Also I'm getting a weird sense of his jawline, looks a little too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to when Autodesk gets rid of gibmal lock for good in Maya, like they did in Motion Builder.

Also this is pretty major, Houdini's engine can now be integrated into Maya. http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/sidefx-released-houdini-engine-for-autodesk-maya-and-unity/

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 21, 2013