Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Personally I'd just simplify everything to linear dimensions and relative offsets. Don't bother with trying to build in a polar coordinate system or anything. Start by revolving the sphere(oid) for the head, find its centroid, locate other parts relative to that point. Don't think of the eye as being on the surface of the sphere, but displaced from the centroid by some X, Y and Z translation.

Fusion should work just fine for that model -- it's a relatively simple shape. How far are you right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If there's one thing that machine learning/AI people are always right about, it's how effective their software is and how it's totally going to replace all human labor in like six months, yes sireeeee

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

I will say it took me longer than I’d have liked to unlearn box modeling/nurbs as the way to make things. I still have nightmares about making heads from lofting nurb curves (http://www.3drender.com/jbirn/ea/HeadModel.html), I’m pretty sure I could still draw the curves accurately with my eyes closed, lol.

As an industrial designer who works almost exclusively with NURBS, it's hilarious how every suggestion in this article is the exact opposite of what you should be doing in my industry. I know that animation in 1998 is very different from CAID in 2018 but lol I'd just outright fail a student for making an entire model out of a single lofted surface.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A radio set like that has 6+ analog axes that are controlled by dials or joysticks that can be set to a position and left there while you play with something else. For the kind of work he's doing, I'd imagine this is far superior to an Xbox controller or whatever where each stick/trigger springs back to its resting position as soon as it's released.

I don't think it's necessarily about doing it live as much as just having quick access to a whole pile of different controls that would otherwise just be a bunch of onscreen sliders.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there nothing like a loft command that would let you connect those edges together?

Or even like just a poly-from-planar-edges command?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A better division would be: animate or inanimate objects? Rhino does organic forms well, but not living things. In Rhino you can easily (well relatively easily) model swoopy organic curves like car bodies or modern jewelry, but it's not really suitable for making realistic humans or animals. On the other hand, while I haven't used ZBrush in any professional capacity, I would imagine it's just as bad at building mechanical assemblies as Rhino is at making orcs.

I would personally go with Rhino but I'm also an industrial designer soo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That bump/normal map looks good. Have you found any way of doing anything like real displacement mapping in KeyShot? I've started using it recently because Maxwell quit doing good educational pricing (and KeyShot has become the industry standard in industrial design, so gotta keep aiming for those targets) but man do I miss those bumpy edges.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Please crank up the hair length to 11 and make a mega floofball tia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What program are you using?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think your work is decent but your portfolio page itself needs improvement. It's not laid out very well and it's pretty stodgy. Consider that your portfolio design also reflects on your skillset as a visual artist, and the viewer will be looking at it for longer than any other piece you show. It's good to have your own site, but it needs to be punched up to look at least as good as one you'd see on Behance or Coroflot or whatever.

Also I think the page of random sketches could be cut out. It's not really professional-level work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

You left it too long, its about nuns on monowheels now

she'd better tie up that goddamned habit or it's just gonna get sucked into the mechanism

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Garbage men have better unions than Polygon jockeys lol

as well they should btw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

It is all kitbashed, he's built up a huge library. It's also now his full time job and makes him a decent amount of money, and I got the impression that in his first few years doing it he didnt need money anyway.
If I got to work on personal work for 8 hours a day for 11 years straight i'd probably have a solid body behind me, I cant bring myself to be impressed. It's 'just do art' fluff because an interview where he says he either moved back into his parents house and didn't pay rent for 4 years or was already independently wealthy probably wouldn't land very well.

Yeah I have a friend of a friend who's been "inventing" some sort of self-balancing electric space pod commuter vehicle for about ten years now. He has a company and a few employees but they never seem to really produce anything, still have the single prototype sitting unmoved in the garage while he decides he's going to use it to work on his land rover instead or whatever. So I eventually asked my friend "how does he make any money with that company? It seems like he just kinda farts around and doesn't have any clear goal, but it keeps going year after year" and he was like "oh well his grandfather started Kawasaki Heavy Industries."

:ms:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

I agree those examples look either unweildy or overdone.

Whoever designed the original ships for Star Wars really hit it outta the park.

Ralph McQuarrie, one of the best of all time

Kanine posted:

made some changes

Overall this one looks like you've taken most of your design language from a star destroyer, which is fine but it's not the same language that is used for imperial fighters.

- imperial fighters don't have laser cannons that stick out like that -- they're little nubs
- TIE fighter cockpit windows are circular with radial segments, not triangles
- all of the TIE variants are very spindly and fragile looking -- this one is solid and chunky
- imperial fighters don't have fins. if you're gonna use them, at least go with the lambda-class shuttle for inspiration, which has one fin on the top and two on the bottom
- gotta have the solar panel wings somewhere!

Also the scale is better but it's still the size of a medium bomber. I would expect it to have at least two crew and maybe four. Imagine how much space your pilot has inside that cockpit. An A-wing is literally like half the size of what you've got.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I was having the same problem a while ago trying to render a fluffy towel in keyshot. It's really just not a renderer meant for that sort of thing. It's for industrial design visualization first and foremost, as you can tell from the massive library of car paints and Pantone swatches but the total lack of natural, organic, or living materials.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Academics don't have the first clue about how computers work. "JPG is industry-standard" means "JPG was the first file format we tried with the software and everyone was too scared of breaking it to look into anything else."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aargh posted:

It's not 100% for this thread but does anyone know some good tutorials for Solidworks? Getting it put on my work computer to replace lovely Vectorworks that doesn't work after upgrading to OSX Mojave.

I vaguely used Solidworks for a bit 15 or so years ago but since then it's mainly been AutoCAD or Vectorworks.

Do you still have a Mac? You know SolidWorks only runs in Windows, right?

Running it in Parallels is going to be unbearably slow for any serious professional work, and if you run it in boot camp just buy a Dell XPS or whatever instead.

Fusion 360 is a reasonable SolidWorks alternative that runs in the Mac OS, provided you aren't doing complex industrial work that requires SolidWorks-specific features.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i told you in the drat yospos thread that i will buy one only if it has RODTRONICS on it

i need to display the brands with which i engage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

something like the first one on a t-shirt please

(helvetica is absolutely more appropriate for this electronics-textbook-cover design)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That chair looks very nice. One suggestion I'd make is to add some scrape marks that expose the bare metal in the areas where the moving parts would slide against one another -- just a little bit peeking out behind the side plates in the riveted areas and such. The paint almost immediately chips off in those areas in real life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it would have been called "unreal tournament" except epic has basically cancelled that because of fuckin fortnite

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know if you're going for a realistic look or a more cartoony style, but in real life you can't see the shells, obviously. Maybe just a long translucent streak like smoke being dragged along behind the projectile? A static line also shows direction much better than a small object in motion, in my opinion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't learn AutoCAD unless someone is telling you specifically to learn that program. In that case, report them to the police.

Fusion 360 is probably where you should start. What are you trying to do?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I would also probably recommend Rhino for what you're doing if you are starting from zero. It can do all of the 2D stuff that AutoCAD can, but the interface is much better, and on top of that it's an actual 3D modeling application with extremely powerful tools for smooth, hard surfaces like you get in industrial design or architecture. I like Rhino a lot. As noted, Grasshopper (plugin included with Rhino) could let you do some really cool procedural design of these neon signs (or whatever) once you get good enough.

Fusion 360 is like Autodesk's attempt to capture Solidworks' market because Inventor didn't do it. It does a lot of things pretty well and it's free. If your work has a lot of nitpicky mechanical details that you need to assemble against one another, like you're making gearboxes or engines or something, Fusion is probably better than Rhino. You could pull off what you're trying to do in either one, though.

SolidWorks is better than Fusion 360 at mechanical assemblies but it costs $5000.

AutoCAD is ancient garbage that no one should be using in 2020 except if they're working at a company with a huge backlog of plans in AutoCAD format, and even then it should only be used by the intern who's going through and converting them all to something newer and better.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's like a 3 minute job if you literally just need the scaled 3-views and no fancy rendering or anything. What's the model?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mutata posted:

I've been a Maya user since college (2007) and I recommend anyone starting now learns Blender. It just makes too much sense at this point.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And apparently blender is also production proven for games now, with a lot of support from game studios and even being used by some fortnite devs, hard to beat “free”

It's nice that this discussion has come up because it's something that we are debating at the university at which I teach.

It's a design program (graphic/industrial) and we're expanding into interactive media and VR as well. Currently the only 3D modeling programs we teach are industrial-design-specific things like SolidWorks, Rhino, and Keyshot. The interaction/VR track needs a basic polygon modeling and animation class, something that would let the students build simple models for their VR projects, and which would also support the graphic design program (kinetic typography, etc). This would be a second-year class in a 4-year degree.

I have been pushing to have the class taught with Blender as it seems to be the most accessible (and free is great for the students), while other professors have been pushing for Maya citing industry adoption, and C4D has come up a few times too because apparently a lot of 3D typography people use it. What would you recommend as industry professionals?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lady's got that Pixar Mom figure goin on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they are the warp nacelles and what you see as jet engine intakes are actually the bussard collectors

(i agree that the ship looks a little unbalanced and i think it would be better if it had a big gun on the pod opposite the cockpit but eh he's trying to replicate this guy's design)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

First attempt at a claymation-style project

https://i.imgur.com/0nup1K0.mp4

this synchronized pretty nicely with the music i was listening to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_oHSjd3vY

(the art is great. nice job getting the fingerprint marks that change with every frame)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah i seem to remember a big breakthrough around 5 (maybe more) years ago. used to be the only tablet worth a poo poo was wacom, for someone reason nobody else could make one that was anywhere near as good,

The breakthrough was probably a patent expiring. The explosion of desktop 3D printers over the last decade is the result of two key Stratasys patents expiring in 2007 and 2009.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do 99% hard surface modeling in Rhino and mechanical stuff with SolidWorks, and I use a mouse for both. I'm very used to all the keyboard shortcuts and I feel like the combination of the two is faster and more precise than a tablet.

When I mess around with the sculpting tools in Blender, though, I definitely use a tablet. The pressure sensitivity alone is worth it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It looks like your environment rotation is different in each of those images. Lock your camera in position so that it doesn't move relative to the environment, then use the object move tools and geometry view window to position your models. Also maybe play with the exposure sliders in the camera and image tabs. For the most consistent results, set up an empty rendering scene with the settings you like, lock everything down, then make copies of it for each model set you want to render.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, in Keyshot by default you have a spherical panorama "environment" that produces all the lighting and reflections, and your camera and model move around inside it. When you tumble the view to look at a different part of the model, you are moving the camera around, but the environment lighting still comes from the same place, which is now in a different orientation relative to the camera. So it's kind of like you have a light box setup and you put the models in it facing backwards, but then swung the camera around to the back of the box to photograph them and that's why the lighting is weird. You need to keep the camera where it is and move the models instead.

Find an angle that lights the models well, lock that camera in position (or make a new one called rendercam or whatever), then import other models you want to render in the same way and use the move tools to position them in the camera's view.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you don't even have to wait for market forces to drive wages down. a bunch of tech companies out here are already saying that they'll cut people's salaries if they move to a place with a cheaper cost of living. because apparently they think they pay you in a certain standard of living that they have the authority to set -- not however much loving money the job you do is worth to them.

it's ghoulish

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Non-manifold mesh? Inconsistent normals?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Post a picture of what you're imagining and if it's not too complex I can probably knock it out in a few minutes. No charge.

(If it's like covered in skulls and snakes and poo poo then we can negotiate)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the funny little pistol on the left. Bottom one is also decent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Use Rhino instead, it's $995 :cheeky:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rhino and Alias are both class-A surface modelers, yes. But the automotive industry is almost entirely Alias so he's kind of going to be stuck with that if that's his field.

Rhino's interface is vastly better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SubNat posted:

I hear the new Wacom Intuoses also have a rougher, matte cover nowadays which supposedly just eats through nibs?
Whenever I see reviews about the Intuos Pros there are a bunch of people complaining that unless you pay another chunk of cash for a smooth/glass panel to smack on top, you'll be tearing through nibs way way faster than previously.

This has been my experience, yes. I got a new Intuos Pro as part of the COVID wfh poo poo and it does chew through nibs.

The surface doesn't feel all that different from the older Intuos models I've used (though it is definitely more toothy than, say, an old Graphire) so I wonder if it's just that they changed the nib plastic. I have been able to get them to last about twice as long by sanding them round again with a nail file once they get squared off, but yeah, you'll need replacements eventually.