Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Gearman posted:

It's important to remember that the kinds of renders that Cubicle Gangster put up can take upwards of hours to render. VR needs to be able to recreate that kind of detail almost instantly, and be able to update at 120hz minimum. We can fake a lot of that kind of detail right now in realtime, but it also relies on a lot of visual "hacks" that don't hold up well when your eyes are a few inches away from the screen. AR suffers from many of the same issues with the added challenge of needing to recreate the lighting conditions right in front of you, in realtime, as well. It's not really a question of 'if' but 'when'.

This isn't really an issue, you can bake basically everything. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use an oculus for exploring in an architectural industry as soon as the oculus comes out, assuming your clients have interest in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Stuff4and5 posted:

Curious about the spine, why are they having you guys set it up to stop at the breasts? Generally it runs all the way up above the breasts.

Because there's a rib cage there that doesn't deform. There are other deformations that happen on the back but those can be handled with the shoulders and other things usually.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rigging is actually fantastic as an animator, forever. Never stop learning it.
Lots of complain-y animators out there already, unable to understand basic principles of 3d packages.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

What I meant is that in Max, a right-click on the manipulation buttons opens up a dialog where I can numerically transform/rotate/scale the selected object, of any type. In Maya I have to hunt the respective option all over the place, depending on object type. That's actually more sane in Max than Maya.

I'm the last person to say Maya is intuitive or logical in its default workflows, picking up new software is an uphill slug too, but the thing you were looking for was 7 pixels below where you edit every other transform in Maya. The channel box is even loaded on the default interface. It's the least complicated thing I can think of in Maya. Why are you complaining about this?

Stick to Max.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

All software should use Houdini-style spacebar as navigation key so your hand is in the center of the keyboard so you can reach more of the keyboard and reach more shortcuts. The fact that Maya is a defacto standard and also has a terrible control scheme is a crime.

Fight me if you disagree.

Also kill any software developer that hard-codes the navigation key.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Your adjusted target base pose arm angle looks really off from the target, so no wonder it's not re targeting right, also take note that your clavicle length is gigantic compared to the source. Also your mesh is not the same thin-hips super-thick thighs so its not going to look similar anyway.

tuna fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 17, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Tests are definitely more of a game studio thing than film, in my experience. With film after some experience you'll never have to do a test. In games, I'm pretty sure GabeN would still have to do a test if he decided to change jobs.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I've been in the situation where I've had to do multiple tests for multiple studios at the same time, while also holding a current job. It's hellish. I do very much like working in games now in comparison to film/ads/etc. But the test situation is often very removed from reality, and often almost insulting in scope. I very much doubt there are any metrics at all on whether the test process yields better hires (ironic considering how much testing and metrics game studios employ on their playtests). If I were to guess, I'd say it has an extremely small effect on filtering out bad candidates while also alienating a lot of worthwhile candidates.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

Do you think it’s a bad idea to do for younger, probably green artists? Or does this apply across the board, in your opinion?

I think this is fine for greener artists especially if you can't meet them in person. As long as you've at least spoken to them first and done a temperature test, then as long as the test isn't some week+ long ordeal for them I don't think they'll have a huge problem doing it. My problem is that if you're hiring a "senior" position and give them a special "senior" test that's harder than normal (and takes more time), you'll start to lose candidates quick.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

Animators in Vancouver are apparently trying to unionize, organized by something called the Art Babbit Society. Already they've faced a lot of pushback from long time workers who fear the work all fleeing if rates rise.

What rates are you speaking about specifically?

Ccs posted:

Whereas more experienced employees are going "Well, what did you expect when you went into this industry? It's better than being unemployed."

There are experienced people and then there are shitheads. Blaming students for not knowing the ins and outs of the industry is unfair and the blame lays elsewhere (the schools, usually).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Pretext: I've never used Blender.

However, even with other applications, everything referenced should be referenced from a source on disk and not from within an imported file really. Also yes, for your own sanity name objects. I've worked on 200+ people projects where we reference in files with object names such as Cube3021, layers called Layer_3021, materials called Phong_3021. Get into good practices now so you don't drive others to :suicide:.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The learning curve is very steep. Its very hard to learn by prodding around and the amount of skills needed to learn in order to actually produce stuff is more complex than Maya.

For people just wanting to do a thing and move on, you can disregard this:

This is also an extremely generalized summary of what I personally believe. For anyone who has a career doing this stuff, the way Houdini and a few other applications make you work eventually gives you a much greater understanding of exactly what you're doing. From a beginner's standpoint it's not a "steeper" learning curve exactly. You're actually learning a lot more. You WILL gain a more fundamental understanding of the concepts and construction of things you do.

A lot of other applications with plugins/features that do X, you're often just sort of picking up on what sliders do to a black box. This is fine for producing things, but usually less than ideal for problem solving and understanding different solutions in the future.

I recently found this article on Hackaday that put it very well: A Python class should teach concepts and develop intuition about how computers solve problems. That’s a durable skill." This should also hold true for our industry too.

tuna fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 23, 2019

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

For shot specific workflows yes, but for the whole pipeline?

http://fx-mind.com/blog/2017/2/13/visual-effects-pipelines-a-defaulting-debt

I read this article a year or so ago and then got to watch it happen in real time as artists-developers at a place I was at started adding lots of extra widgets to a pipeline to make it “efficient” or “optimized” or “idiot proof”. As it got slower and slower and slower because no one had actually trained in software engineering. And the term “scrum” was thrown around like it was a synonym for “meeting” as opposed to a specific method of project management.

I understand software engineers are expensive but letting a bunch of novices meddle around does not help deliver projects and puts large accounts in jeopardy.

This to me just sounds like a lack of leadership and/or time, not a genuine critique of the work artist-developers do. The article mostly talks about the lack of funding for tools and systems to be overhauled after the pipeline itself has changed so much. You could argue artist-developers are a symptom of that problem, but it's not their fault.

I would also argue that the concept of artist-developers will start to increase as programming literacy, cleaner languages and accessible APIs, etc. all increase. Node based programming and python have already done that to a large extent.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I've been using NLA animation editors for at least 15 years and only recently taken a look at the blender NLA attempt and it is, without a doubt, an abomination. I have no words, and I'm sorry for your struggle.

Recent (youtube and tinkering) research and some personal testing indicates:

Action Editor:
A weird session-based memory of animations, where you have to explicitly tell Blender that it is "memory protected" if you want it to load next time the file is loaded (you can tell this feature came from github and not an animator).
Actions here can be assigned to different objects, which is "useful" in the eyes of youtubers, but in effect, very rarely are the animations of one object in the same parent space of another, so this is essentially a overly complicated way of copy pasting f-curves, shoehorned into the NLA workflow.
It's an f-curve node in any other application, except Yet Another Editor to clutter up your experience.
If it has "users" it means its being used/referenced by other objects. The only reason it's undeletable is because of bizarre Blender design. It's the same thing as deleting f-curves.
The benefit would be that you can animate new things while NLA is active, and "push down" those new keys to blend into your existing clips. I think that's the only benefit.

Push Down:
Another term to compete with industry standards such as "create clip". Not sure why reinventing terminology is beneficial here.

Action Stashing:
Slams one of those temporary actions into the wallflower section of the NLA to use later only if it is referenced by one object. So any time you close Blender it sounds like it'll just add one to the NLA editor, which is probably what was confusing you... Because it's terrible.
Essentially temp storage of some keyframes, but clutters up your NLA editor.

FBX:
A file that expects pretty simple data, it wants polys, UVs, skinning, joints, keyframes. It supports more but good luck implementing those into every app/engine. The simpler your blender file the higher chance of success. I'm surprised it even supports NLA data, as it will need to bake that data down somehow itself during export. Looks like you found this one out the hard way.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Elukka posted:

I'm also glad to hear someone else has actually tried to use it and also found it bizarre. There are many parts of Blender that seemingly almost nobody uses.

Last time I had cause to use the NLA editor I ended up writing a script to place my animations on the timeline instead just so I could avoid using it. Which introduced me to the annoying fact that the Blender API is incomplete, in that there are many functionalities which cannot be accessed directly via script, but only through the UI, which is why many Blender scripts call UI functions to click buttons like the user would, which is why they can easily break if the UI isn't in the expected state.

For instance, some NLA things have no direct API access, so my script sneakily switches the current UI pane into the NLA editor, moves some things around and switches back. :v:

:stare:

I've done some really hacky things with the Maya python api but drat. I'm surprised to hear that blender has such incomplete API access but also not surprised. I feel like Blender doesn't get used that much when it comes to character animation / cinematic and game pipelines so there hasn't been much feedback such as: "this is unacceptably behind the times". It's a shame too, because Autodesk have basically left Maya and Motion builder to rot away and there are many of us who would gladly accept some competition in this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Alterian posted:

Does it bother anyone else that the hotkeys in maya for select, move, rotate, and scale are Q W E R? Why can't rotate be the R key?!

Maya's worst crime is hard-coding Alt for navigation. It's stupidly bad for ergonomics and no reason they shouldn't have fixed this a long time ago. The absolute best key for navigation is actually spacebar, as this lets you ergonomically place your hand almost anywhere on the keyboard to navigate, and gives your hand access to all of the keys from there, rather than cramming your hand into the far left side for no reason (for right handed people). This way you could actually build out a good shortcut system instead of whatever it is now.