Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I just learned me 4 point tracking in Blender yesterday, for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700850

My result is this:

Which is, eh, good enough for a funny gif thread.

I just followed the procedure that was in "every" tutorial: track the corners in the video, convert the tracks to empties, hook the 4 corners of a plane to the empties, texture the plane.

Anyway, I had a couple of problems with animating the corners. In the latter half of the thing, one of the corners of the paper is outside the frame:

I just eyeballed the first, last and some keyframe in the middle somewhere. But I was wondering if it is possible to just set the position of the empty in the first frame and then add a modifier or something that moves the corner in the same direction as one of the other points. Or maybe something that moves it by the average movement of the three other empties?

I thought that it could be good enough for that kind of video where there is just a little bit of camera movement.

Followup question:

The top of the paper deforms at one point in the video. I thought that maybe an edit could blend in better if it followed the deformation. So I could subdivide the plane and maybe add new empties in the middle points and hook the vertices there to the empties. But I don't want to animate all the middle points, so is it possible to have all the uninteresting middle points take the average position of the corner points? Does this even make sense or have I just found a hammer and everything looks like a nail now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

The top of the paper deforms at one point in the video. I thought that maybe an edit could blend in better if it followed the deformation. So I could subdivide the plane and maybe add new empties in the middle points and hook the vertices there to the empties.

Oh, you don't actually have to subdivide the whole plane, You can just subdivide the top edge. I did that and just keyframed the distortion. :shobon:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I don't understand the rigify chest control bone alignment

That's the control bone in blue. The armature has "show axis" on, which are displayed in color.

I have also added an "arrows" empty to the scene and put a "copy transforms" constraint on it and targeted it on the chest bone. That's the larger axis shown in black. As you can see, the displayed axis of the bone and the empty do not match.

The figure on the right is the custom shape for the chest bone, it also has "show axis" enabled. They match the axis displayed on the bone.

Is this intended behavior? I'm asking because I tried adding a "track to" constraint to the chest bone and could not figure out why it was pointing in the wrong direction until I added an empty with "copy transforms" and saw that the bone's axis didn't match the axis on the empty.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Weird, it seems that there is no way of using the raw rgb data of a pixel in blender if the pixel's alpha value is 0, the pixel just becomes black.

If I set the image's alpha mode to none (in the UV editor for example), then I get the actual color of the pixels. But then I can't use the alpha of the texture without adding the same texture a second time with the alpha enabled.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Weird, it seems that there is no way of using the raw rgb data of a pixel in blender if the pixel's alpha value is 0, the pixel just becomes black.

If I set the image's alpha mode to none (in the UV editor for example), then I get the actual color of the pixels. But then I can't use the alpha of the texture without adding the same texture a second time with the alpha enabled.

Oh, if you set the texture to non-color data then both the color and alpha work independently off a single texture. But then if you actually want to use the RGB data as color, then the gamma is off and you need to add a gamma correction node.

But now that I think of it, usually when an image has all ARGB channels in use, either the channels are non-color (4 different maps/masks in one image), or if it's a color texture, then pixels with 0 alpha are not supposed to be drawn anyway.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
You could try camera motion tracking and then add a couple of tracking markers whose distance you know and try setting the scene scale that way.

Here's one quick video about camera tracking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY8Ol2n4o4A

Wheany fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 26, 2021

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
There's no revenue like recurring revenue

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Telltolin posted:

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'm grabbing a bunch from here -- I use 3ds max (i've been too lazy to learn blender properly) but I can grab the raw diffuse from these.

I'm still on the look out for a, like, a free (and legal) zip file full of 600 various assorted textures, so if anybody has something like that I'd still love to grab it!

It's not literally free, but if you become Polyhaven's patreon at the $5 tier, you get access to mass downloads

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Blender 3.6 was released. Probably the biggest single feature is simulation nodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LiGWgKRgk

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Listerine posted:

What does the LTS stand for?

Long Term Support

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Blender also recently released a set of human base meshes, with a CC0 license:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSR-qK2vRQY

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Maybe blender's hair curves with some manual trimming and grooming?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Harvey Baldman posted:

It's getting 3D printed on a powder-based machine, but this is definitely one of those things that our 3D scanner can't handle.

I found something called 'BounceSpline' in Blender that seems to get me kinda close, but I can't figure out a way of making it fully constrained within the base geometry it is given - it wants to break out of those bounds periodically.

Still not bad as a starting point overall though. I will check out the C4D approach to see if I can get it to be better-contained.

I tried that out and it seems it stays inside the target mesh if you use poly line:

You can then use geometry nodes to chage the curve type, to nurbs for example, to make is smoother, then add a curve to mesh operation.

In the preview image the base mesh is colored red and the curve is colored blue, and it doesn't poke out much at all from the base mesh

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm still trying to figure out a not-suck method for doing particles in EEVEE but it looks like that I'll have a bitch of a time getting that to play nice no matter what. Anyone have resources on what to do with that?

What exactly are you having trouble with?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Elukka posted:

I don't know what the status of geonode particles is and whether they're ready for use and I'm curious about that.

Blender 3.6 added simulation zones (the newest release is 4.0.2), where you can alter geometry based on its state in the last frame, so you can definitely do something with them. But I'm not enough of a node wizard to tell you how easy doing stuff like collisions and forces is.

Edit: and since you can mark geometry nodes as assets, you can reuse them across projects, if you make something you like.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Hell yeah. Basic voronoi fractures have annoyed me for a very long time because all the bits just look generally roundish

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Me forming the hand of a character into a fist finger by finger for the third time in Blender: "Oh that's why you would use a pose library"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
He made a flag tutorial long time ago where toward the end he said he was suprised that he didn't use the F-slur (drop the L from flag) accidentally during the tutorial. Instead he said it on purpose for whatever reason.

Also he was way into NFTs a few years ago.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

dopesilly posted:

You really gonna try to tie every functionality to the letter key it starts with in the English language? I don't wanna look at my fuckin keyboard for every function Blender

If it is not visible by default, you can enable the toolbar from the view menu.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

dopesilly posted:

I can completely hide Maya's UI and still use 95% of the tools with like 3-4 keys without moving my left hand (especially space bar) and I don't need to "Search" for functions by typing them out. It's like everything is 2-3 more clicks for me or 2-3 more keypresses than it needs to be for me in Blender. I will give Blender the upper hand on the functions being somewhat predictable and stable, but yeah the default hotkeys and default UX experience is still rear end imo. It's like the software never heard of contextual editing or something, so it just breaks a buncha poo poo into different tabs unnecessarily.

If you go to Edit -> Preferences, open the Keymap section, maybe the "Industry Compatible" preset in the dropdown works better for you

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I can't talk about 3D modelling software in general since I've only used Blender. But I know the fundamentals are the same. Meaning 3D modelling skill is different from knowing how specific 3D modelling software works. Just like programming skill and knowing a specific programming language are different skills (I'm a programmer). At some point you have to learn how to use your tool. Instead of trying to write Python like it's Java, you should embrace Python-specific features and practices to make your life easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

DreadUnknown posted:

Ok I finished the donut tutorial, I realize they look kind of plastic but ehhhh.

Materials is also something you have to practice, just like modelling