Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Anchors posted:

Later on, when The Gurubashi treasure drop was implemented, I found my new favorite pastime, "Defend the Chest" Everyone wanted the precious loot that lay dormant within the chest, so naturally I did everything I possibly could to keep anyone from opening the mystery chest. Several times the chest would simply despawn on it's own or the event would start over again and force a new chest every 3 hours. I eventually became known as "That douchebag from the arena." Which I must admit is a nice change from "That loser from the forums."

The best thing about that chest was that gnomes could stand inside it and not be clicked on. Even if somebody saw your name over it they'd try to target you and just start opening the chest, which meant somebody would instantly start killing them to stop them getting the item. What this meant was that by going to the arena half an hour before the event began and then logging off, and then timing it right either through guest work or an alt, you could log back in as the chest was put down and then sit inside it opening it completely free of harm.

Using this method I think I was the first person on the server to get enough of those trinkets to trade them in for the special one. It's not really griefing as such but I imagine people were quite annoyed at fighting over this thing only to have it dissapear and reveal a gnome inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
An acquaintance of mine who plays Eve says it was just a "Billfail" which is apparently a bug caused by the payment system Eve uses. Say it ain't so :(

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Enthusiasm posted:

Essentially, items that drop from monsters in the game can be linked in a general chat channel that holds large groups of players, whether they're playing the game with you or not. Other players can click it to see the stats of the item, so it's useful for trying to sell things. What someone discovered is that you can copy and paste bits of code/script/whatever you want to call it, and make up fake items on your own. This can mean either silly names for items, or an item with properties that crash the game of whoever clicks on it.

Didn't almost this exact thing happen in WoW not too long ago?

• Locked thread