Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Splicer posted:

Melee was hilariously broken in the first L4D despite it just being an alt-fire for your main weapon, since you could pile every survivor into one corner forming a horrible, Shiva-like monstrosity that flailed wildly with a gun-butt with one set of arms while the other six fired with impunity at the Zombie hordes desperately trying to get past your impenetrable rifle-shield.

And that's why we now have Spitters.

And a cooldown on meleeing, and actual awesome melee weapons for people who prefer that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
FFXI was notoriously hateful and sadistic toward its players, as in the boss Pandemonium Warden, whose first attempt went 18 hours and was unsuccessful.[/url]

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

HMRising posted:

The amusing thing about kiting Kazzak to a city as a bannable offense was that Blizzard later purposely did this for a temporary, pre-launch event of The Burning Crusade expansion with Highlord Kruul, who was--in practice--a more difficult version of Doom Lord Kazzak (although they both shared the same model, loot-table, and abilities, as I recall). Considering that Kruul would sometimes spawn outside the major cities, he would wreak havoc and become virtually unkillable within a matter of seconds because of the same "Capture Soul" mechanic he and Kazzak shared. Kruul would also periodically summon several higher-level enemies all of which had large aggro-radii, and would one-shot lower-level players with Crushing Blows (a NPC mechanic that deals extra damage to a player if the player was at least three levels lower than the NPC).

I remember Kruul spawning outside the Undercity at one point, and the aftermath once Kruul had left revealed heaps upon heaps of skeletons from all races (yes, even Alliance) throughout the southern Tirisfal Glades and Ruins of Lordaeron. For people who haven't played the game, this was one of the the starting zones and frequently a high-traffic area for lower-level players. I think Kruul would eventually despawn as per a timer, and reappear elsewhere, later. To be sure, it wasn't "griefing" in the truest sense, but for its time, it was an enjoyable "world" event that got a lot of people intentionally killed that I don't think WoW has really indulged much in anymore, unfortunately.

There was also the Zombie Plague at the end of The Burning Crusade, which was the most fun I've ever had in WoW and which will probably never come back because people whined so relentlessly about it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The plague cloud you could vomit up would also sustain you from health loss, though I believe you needed 2 or 3 people to keep it going enough to stay alive. Also one of the zombie abilities was to call NPC zombies to you, so you could build up a horde of zombified NPCs and direct them.

Oh, also, you could share quests cross-faction as zombies; I used to have a quest to rebuild the bridge in Redridge Mountains, an Alliance quest, on my troll priest. Sadly, it was removed when Cataclysm hit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

Didn't the zombies get stronger the longer the event went on, too? So a zombie on the day the event landed was pretty weak, but by the end they were quite strong?

Nah, but it got harder and harder to cleanse the disease off of infected people, and the disease started taking less and less time to kill and convert the infected.

Of course if you were a paladin you could just use your invincibility bubble and it would instantly kill you and transform you into a zombie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I would've figured Goonfleet's declaration of permanent Hulkageddon would qualify.

If you haven't heard: every ship in EVE must be built from materials mined by players. People who want to play it safe- such as people with enormous, fabulously expensive mining/cargo ships called Hulks- stick to the high-security areas of the game, where your ship will be instantly destroyed by the space police the moment you fire a shot. So you can still blow somebody up; you just need to have the ability to do a huge amount of damage in a single shot. Unless you've got enough money to piss away on new ships and guns, though, there's little point to doing so unless you're a rich jerk who just enjoys pissing people off and pissing away lots of money to do it.

Anyway, one guy with a lot of money and a taste for mayhem declared a month of "Hulkageddon", in which players would compete to blow up Hulks in high-security space, with the high scorer getting a huge cash prize at the end. After the most recent Hulkageddon, Goonfleet announced that Hulkageddon is now permanent, and that they'd set up a bot that will just mail you a ton of money every time you kill 10 Hulks in high-sec.

The best part? Those Hulks require a mineral called technetium to build, and technetium is pretty expensive because all the technetium-producing planets are controlled by... Goonfleet. So not only are they financing a massive campaign of terror, they're making more money selling technetium to their victims than they're paying out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

I actually like this one, stories about MMOs "griefing the playerbase" get old fast but I love the mental picture of a bunch of spergs flipping out while some schmuck holds a desirable loot target hostage in exchange for a cut.

Like WoW guilds refusing to open the Ahn'Qiraj gates unless bribed, or Goon Squad kidnapping an Alliance Flight Master.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

After 300 pages you're gonna get some repeats.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wait, wait, DOTA/LOL are played on a single map? Really? There's no map rotation? The only game I ever played from that genre was Monday Night Combat, so I just assumed that having multiple maps was the norm.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

What do the Wushu devs think of the Goons? Anything?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

tomanton posted:

Our latest fieldtrip: http://youtu.be/AIfBEFj0BLk

This video is sort of mediocre, but the play is killing everyone else on the server as quickly as possible and then running out the round microphone spamming and dancing in circles. Our crew probably is the reason GMod doesn't allow animations anymore; kids didn't appreciate hosed-up hitboxes and someone stripteasing killing them with bullets shot out of their weiners. Best of all the pubbies will wait out their entire 10-12 minutes in ghost mode planning their revenge, only to be immediately killed again, rinse and repeat.

I believe our last PGS thread dedicated to TTT has slipped into the archives; if it can't be dug up I'll make a new one shortly.

A thread in PGS to coordinate and discuss plans would be excellent.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, Hidden was a bunch of commandos on one team and a single invisible guy with bombs and a knife on the other.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

In age of wushu we had a J4G try to join the guild. We declined.

He then went off, joined a guild, worked his way into leadership within one week, kicked everyone out of the guild, and disbanded the guild. That guild lost their land.

He is now in the GoonTangClan.

He's everything a goon clan member should be.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Fuzzyjello posted:

Sort of reminds me of WoW using the f4 button. Then I use the alt button for my push to talk, then f4 for an in game action.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Red Bones posted:

Why are there skeletons all over the floor in some of those screenshots?

When you die in WoW, you leave a body behind. When you come back, a skeleton is left behind where your body was. There's shots of Ironforge during the old Corrupted Blood plague where the ground is just a carpet of bones.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Most likely the Horde sweep through and kill a bunch of people every so often.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

And then there's Team Fortress 2, where some of the taunts are one-hit kills if you can hit with them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm mostly in awe of his lungs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

People used to do what I think was called "leveling", where you log into a Minecraft server, quietly accumulate massive amounts of dirt, and start dismantling things that people have built and replacing them with vast flat plains of dirt.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wushu is getting a castration mechanic. I assume Goon Tang Clan will go nuts with this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Korgan posted:

Branflakes is a real piece of poo poo, lazy, biased community moderator. I asked the main pvp channel if anyone else got temp banned for killing him during the event and it blew up with people hating on him. He really needs to be fired.

Wait, wait, so he set up a PVP event and raged at people for killing him during the PVP event?

It sounds like the Age of Wushu devs are way more awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lazermaniac posted:

In fact, Garry himself is a goon! It's goons all the way down :cawg:

I remember when the icon for Gmod on Steam used to be :v:.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

After reading about SS13 from this thread, this will be my late night "had a few beers, watching netflix" game. This makes me miss my old days of loving with people on Diablo 2 just with my user name. I'd make a character who I completely played wrong or used crap skills (favorite was maxing out Raven on the druid) and naming them something like "DBZ_sucks" or "RapMakesYouStupid"

I spent more time typing than killing.

I used to play a Druid with no skills other than as many summons as possible. For some reason this used to cause lag or slowdown or something on other peoples' computers, because 90% of Battle.net players would scream at me to unsummon some of my pets.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

The new hotkey input system has a dedicated fart hotkey.

Of course it does. :allears:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Racism! Whaddya think about that!" isn't a grief, it's just dickery.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That's glorious, an excellent example of using a power-gamer's cheese against them. Was it at least a double-elimination tournament?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Portal Roulette is even better now because Blizzard for some reason let mages get a portal to old Dalaran. Not Dalaran's new location floating around in Northrend; they can now create a portal that teleports you to where the portals would have been in Dalaran's original location in Alterac Mountains.

This is of course a few hundred feet in the air above a crater.

I was not aware of this and suddenly I need it. Wowhead says it's a book bought from the portal trainer in Dalaran.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I don't think I have it anymore, but a Magic: The Gathering magazine called InQuest once printed a Chaos Orb that was four times the size of a regular card, shown on the right:

I used to hear all manner of apocryphal stories about dudes tearing up their chaos orb and just sprinkling it over their opponents' cards.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

I really should get into more card games. The only one I've played is Munchkin which destroys friendships.

And Bang, but there isn't much room for griefing there other than just shooting your friends.

If you think Munchkin kills friendships, check out Steve Jackson' Illuminati. It's the perfect game for people you never want to speak to again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Back in college we had a group that played Egyptian whatever only the unintentional grief was that myself and one lady in the group both hold blackbelts. It quickly got to the point that the few people with the handspeed to get in before us quickly stopped because winning just got too painful. Games always devolved into just myself and her playing well past first blood until the group found a different card game.

There's a game called Jungle Speed where you turn over a card on a pile in front of you and try to be the first to grab the "idol" in the middle if yours matches somebody else's card. Make sure everybody's cut their nails...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Does anybody have any information about the Smash Brothers player who was low-ranked but won a tournament against a higher-ranked opponent by actually being able to play with items on?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

Playing with or without items is a good metric for determining if someone is a worthwhile person. Ditto taking the game seriously. How seriously people take that game loving astounds me.

Nintendo doesn't like those people either.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dizz posted:

I'm not one for Smash drama but is this the one where the smash players heckled a kid so much for winning a tourney for using items that he [The kid] ended up giving his winnings to the dude in 2nd place?

I was trying to track down some info about that awhile back but all I could find were links about Nintendo trying to ban EVO from providing Smash streams.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

The sole purpose of griefing is to get a negative reaction from the other person so people who roll with it more than often don't make amazing stories.

A number of years ago on World of Warcraft my friend somehow managed to overhear the details for an in-game wedding, and we spent days organising how we were going to invade it and what the timing needed to be. We ended up with around 50-60 people including an Alliance rogue we knew and had asked to snoop for us and video-capture it, co-ordinating everything over voice chat so that as soon as the 'bride' got to the altar everyone would stream over the hill and just burn the roleplayers to the ground. It went off perfectly, we laughed and took screenshots of ourselves on their skeletons, and when the ally rogue told us they were regrouping at the capital city, we followed them there and did it again among the NPC guards.

The 'groom' later forwarded us a recording of their voice-chat and while they were kind of annoyed initially, they started laughing about it on the way to their second destination and when we showed up there they thought it was hilarious. If I remember correctly they even posted to the Blizzard forums thanking us for turning up.

The griefees' response reminds me of Goon Squad kidnapping the Alliance flightmaster and taunting the Alliance about it on the forums. The Alliance players made a huge thing of searching high and low for the flightmaster, and there's no doubt at all that it would've been a better resolution for the GMs to let it play itself out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Poil posted:

What is so special about asian girls anyway? I mean, why are some people so obsessed about them?

There's a bunch of dudes- weeaboos and MRAs, mostly- who think Asian women are all submissive waifus. It's just racism, same as you'd imagine.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Try a university with a a big enough humanities department, I'm sure there are more than a few people who would be facinated by what they can find out about online communities.

It may sound silly, but studying online communities is extremely trendy in academia right now. This sort of thing's getting a surprising amount of attention.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's not calliope music, it's a ukelele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtQmwJ1WAY

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

Or just look straight down, that turns off the water-walking effect so you can drop through fine yourself.

After you beat all but one of the bosses in the Trial of the Crusader raid, the floor is destroyed and everybody falls hundreds of yards into a pool of water. When this happens, anybody who didn't have the presence of mind to look straight down would crater on the surface of the pool thanks to some Death Knight casting Path of Frost. Every single time.

For some people, the Water Boss was the hardest boss in the instance.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Bonald Farndhardt posted:

What theme would you guys like the next Ventrilo Harassment to be?

-Lemongrab
-"Whitest Kids U'Know" Abe Lincoln
-James Quall
-Belgian Farting Pig

Cast ur votes now :wink:

"NOW YOU HAVE hosed UP."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Reminds me of that EVE Online story where someone loaded up freighters with wads of paper, went to a crowded hub and told everyone to gather round for free loot. I'm pretty sure they managed to crash the server, or come very close, but I can't find the story right now.

How does that work, exactly?

• Locked thread